Menu

Is anyone else trying to lose weight this summer?

IfIOnly

I am more or less following trim healthy mama. I think I've found out though that I do slightly better with mostly low carb but having a bit of healthy carbs thrown in. So I'm trying that this week. From my highest I've lost about 18-19 pounds but most of that was slowly over the last year since beginning thyroid and hormone treatment with my doctor. I am also on metformin but it is temporary untill I lose the weight. I still have at least 80 to go Ă°Å¸ËœÂ¢

We have 8 kids still at home and I struggle with making food I can't eat. Trying to transition the whole family over to healthier, but not low carb, is pretty hard. I thought we are really healthy before but it was too many carbs for me I have finally learned. All my kids are normal to low weight except my almost 18 year old daughter and she foliows thm with me and has lost well on it. She also was diagnosed as hypothyroid last year.

Looking at the before and afters on THM FB page is so encouraging.

Honestly, I've decided on cereal or instant oatmeal or whatever else they want to cook and that the kids fix themselves for breakfast and DIY sandwiches for lunch when first starting out/this summer because 1. I don't have to be tempted too much with preparing foods I shouldn't be eating and 2. it's giving me time to find recipes and what I can eat, figure out tracking calories, carbs, proteins, and fat, and try cooking new things. After I lose the weight I should go back to us eating together and cooking more but still tracking/limiting calories (not overeating) and carbs mostly.

So, I'm down another pound and at 137.7 now. I do lose weight quickly once I start trying and this way of eating does stop the insulin spike (we always red our animals grains to fatten them up)/weight gain cycle for me, but is it possible this is actually fat loss? Any btdt?

I need to take a before pic still for MFP profile.

So, I'm down another pound and at 137.7 now. I do lose weight quickly once I start trying and this way of eating does stop the insulin spike (we always red our animals grains to fatten them up)/weight gain cycle for me, but is it possible this is actually fat loss? Any btdt?

Not sure how much you've gotten total, but switching to lower-carb (somewhere around <100 net, precise cutoff varies depending on my exercise level) always causes a quick loss of about 4-5 lbs of water weight for me that comes right back on as soon as the carb count goes back up. It often causes more for heavier people (when I was over 200 it'd be more like 6-7) but since our weights are pretty similar I suspect it'll be pretty similar for you. 

• Like 1

I'm heavier than I've ever been. I run, practice taiji, and eat a pretty healthy diet. Today at church 2 different people asked if I was expecting. I am mortified by what I see in the mirror and in photographs. Count me in, but I have no idea where to begin.

(((TianXiaXueXiao))) You sound much healthier than me! That's fantastic you're able to be and are dedicated to being so active. I haven't excersised pretty much for years (and years).

There are soo many different ways to loses weight, it's overwhelming. I feel you there. Please let us know how and if we can help and what you decide!

Not sure how much you've gotten total, but switching to lower-carb (somewhere around <100 net, precise cutoff varies depending on my exercise level) always causes a quick loss of about 4-5 lbs of water weight for me that comes right back on as soon as the carb count goes back up. It often causes more for heavier people (when I was over 200 it'd be more like 6-7) but since our weights are pretty similar I suspect it'll be pretty similar for you.

You are such a wealth of knowledge and experience, kiana. Thank you for sharing! That's so good to know about the probable gain going back to carbs. I've lost about 2.5 lbs so far. Bummer about the just losing water weight though. Ha! Hopefully I will see some encouraging, real results in the near future. Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain
  • Like 1

I've been low carbing it for about 3 weeks and have lost a good ten pounds. I need to lose about 5 more to get in the "normal" weight range for my height.

I hate dieting. Hate it. I know it is good for me to keep my weight down, and not to eat sugar. It's just so hard.

Yep. Me too. Sorry :/

• Like 2

You are such a wealth of knowledge and experience, kiana. Thank you for sharing! That's so good to know about the probable gain going back to carbs. I've lost about 2.5 lbs so far. Bummer about the just losing water weight though. Ha! Hopefully I will see some encouraging, real results in the near future.

Ah thanks for the kind remarks! It took me four years to get the weight off I wanted to, but so far keeping it off is going well :)

I don't think it's just water loss you're dropping, just that a lot of it is. But that's actually good news because 2.5 lbs of actual fat in a few days would be far too rapid for someone who's not severely overweight. There's research showing that really, each pound of fat is only good for a maximum of 31 calories/day under optimal conditions, so the rate at which you can actually lose fat is constrained by this. If you exceed that deficit, you're going to be losing more weight from muscle and bone, which is not good at all for health. That's one big reason people specify the 1 lb/week -- it's unlikely that anyone other than the extremely lean (like a male bodybuilder trying to get into competition form) would be unable to support that, and quite honestly they have coaches to help them with the details. 

I actually think that the weight spike when you eat a high carb/high sodium meal is one of the big reasons that low carb works better for many people (the other big reason is that it bans most heavily processed non-nutritious food, and the food that you do get tends to be very satiating, so you eat and usually aren't hungry again 2 hours later), but this is just speculation. If you're counting calories and eat a single high meal, you won't see as big a jump the next day (there'll still be some), but if you're on low carb and go out for pizza and fries and some beers, you might see a 10 lb jump the next day from the alcohol + salt + carbs, which spurs you into 'ohmygosh I better get back on track TODAY' mode. 

• Like 1

Me, definitely me. I'm at 170lbs, the heaviest I have been in my life, even after 5 pregnancies.

I don't like dieting, but I also don't like what I see in the mirror, so it's time to do something. Just started walking the dog in the morning, around a couple miles, and I'll try to eat in moderation. It's a process :(

• Like 2

Curious: do you have any idea why teaching made you gain weight?

(I gained some weight when I started homeschooling, because I no longer started my day with a 2 mile walk to take the kids to school.)

I was shocked when I got on a scale at the end of my first year teaching and saw that I'd gained 10 pounds. I figured that I would at least maintain my weight if not actively lose weight. 

And then I was sure that I would at least maintain my second year because I was on my feet the whole day and was generally much much busier than I had been my first year because I was in a much larger school. There were just 125 total students at my first school (dropout prevention) and I taught small group and tutoring versus 2200 at my second year school and  I was teaching from a cart in 5 different classrooms.

But I gained 10 pounds my second year also.

What I did find both years was that I tended to graze constantly once I got home. I had an insatiable snacking urge to deal with while grading or doing lesson plans. I also didn't feel like walking once I got home either, but I walk a lot on summer evenings after it cools off.

I'm hoping that by keeping track of everything on Lose It, I will at least maintain the weight loss that I achieve over the summer. I know I won't get as much exercise in during the school year, but I'll try. I can't swim anymore during the school year because the pool closes and that really hurts. There are gyms I could join that have indoor pools, but none are very close and they are very expensive.

• Like 1

(((TianXiaXueXiao))) You sound much healthier than me! That's fantastic you're able to be and are dedicated to being so active. I haven't excersised pretty much for years (and years).

There are soo many different ways to loses weight, it's overwhelming. I feel you there. Please let us know how and if we can help and what you decide!

I am battling thyroid hormone deficiencies and have extremely low metabolism. I'm currently weighing in at 185 lbs and wear a Size 10-12. I think I need to eliminate more carbohydrates, drink more water, and start lifting weights but I recently injured my back and I'm afraid of making matters worse. I would appreciate any and all encouragement. Thanks!

• Like 1

I've tried so many things - 17 day diet, whole 30, paleo etc.  Last year I lost about 20 lbs on the 17 day diet but I had already gained back 10 because it's not sustainable.  A month ago I joined Weight Watchers.  They just overhauled their points system to be reward protein and good fats and "penalize" sugar and carbs.  I've lost about 8 lbs since I started.  I know some people hate WW and it's a bit gimmicky but tracking my food has been great.

I think the most helpful thing for me is my fitbit.  I found one cheap on craigslist and I try to take walks most days.  Even short ones if I don't have a lot of time.  My mood is great and I'm losing quite easily.  WW focuses a lot on fitness now instead of just diet - the app links up with my fitbit and awards me "fitpoints" for every step I take and every period of activity.  I have a fitness goal and work towards meeting that rather then just trying to get the scale to go down.  

• Like 1

I was making good progress at losing the last of the baby weight (he's almost 3 :-) when the whirlwind move across the country process began. I've maintained the loss through this, so I'm happy. I'm cleaning my eating back up as of yesterday and looking forward to having time to get back to adequate sleep and more than maintenance exercise (i.e. more than 15 minutes 3 times a week).

• Like 1

I've tried so many things - 17 day diet, whole 30, paleo etc. Last year I lost about 20 lbs on the 17 day diet but I had already gained back 10 because it's not sustainable. A month ago I joined Weight Watchers. They just overhauled their points system to be reward protein and good fats and "penalize" sugar and carbs. I've lost about 8 lbs since I started. I know some people hate WW and it's a bit gimmicky but tracking my food has been great.

I think the most helpful thing for me is my fitbit. I found one cheap on craigslist and I try to take walks most days. Even short ones if I don't have a lot of time. My mood is great and I'm losing quite easily. WW focuses a lot on fitness now instead of just diet - the app links up with my fitbit and awards me "fitpoints" for every step I take and every period of activity. I have a fitness goal and work towards meeting that rather then just trying to get the scale to go down.

I agree tracking is so important, whether it's with WW points or MFP. Tracking calories and micronutrients has helped me see some areas I was needing improvemt, some which surprised me.

I had an awful night and morning mostly because I can only do meat for protein (no eggs or yogurt, etc. Be cause of food allergies) and I can't stomach it 3 times a day. I didn't eat much protein yesterday (need to eat the min. with keto or it's not safe?) or as a result not enough calories either and felt awful. I was so shaky this morning. I though I was going to throw up. So, I caved. I had a low carb whole grain brakfast and a low carb whole grain lunch staying at 400 calories per meal. That's how my eating went today. I'm not sure I'll continue this way, but I'm not sure what else to do. I'm doing just 1200 calories and low carb for sure. If I do add some lentils and Brown rice, etc. then I'll have to figure out what carb, fat, protein ratio to shoot for. I've shot for one third calories from carbs, fats, protein in generalr for meal planning, but would like to go higher in fats and lower in carbs for weight loss, I'm thinking.

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain

There's research showing that really, each pound of fat is only good for a maximum of 31 calories/day under optimal conditions, so the rate at which you can actually lose fat is constrained by this.

Could you please elaborate on this further? That would mean it takes over 100 days to lose one lb of fat, which contains 3,500 cal. Somehow that cannot be right - or maybe I don't understand what the quoted sentence above means.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

What I did find both years was that I tended to graze constantly once I got home. I had an insatiable snacking urge to deal with while grading or doing lesson plans. I also didn't feel like walking once I got home either, but I walk a lot on summer evenings after it cools off.

I'm hoping that by keeping track of everything on Lose It, I will at least maintain the weight loss that I achieve over the summer. I know I won't get as much exercise in during the school year, but I'll try. I can't swim anymore during the school year because the pool closes and that really hurts. There are gyms I could join that have indoor pools, but none are very close and they are very expensive.

Thanks for taking the time to explain. That must be so frustrating.

On the bolded, I had to chuckle. I snack when I deal with an unpleasant task, and grading brings out the worst in me. I have to constantly get up and munch something before I can face another paper.

• Like 1

kiana, on 13 Jul 2016 - 06:44 AM, said:

snapback.png

There's research showing that really, each pound of fat is only good for a maximum of 31 calories/day under optimal conditions, so the rate at which you can actually lose fat is constrained by this.

Could you please elaborate on this further? That would mean it takes over 100 days to lose one lb of fat, which contains 3,500 cal. Somehow that cannot be right.

It sounds about right to me--if someone has 50 pounds of fat to lose, those 50 pounds can liberate about 1550 calories per day. In a week that would be just over three pounds. If you only have one pound of fat, you really shouldn't try to lose it.  :)

• Like 2

I'm trying to lose weight, but I'm in it for longer than the summer. I just finished losing the weight I gained with the little girls this week. I'd like to lose another 18 pounds by the middle of September. The kid I gained that weight with will be turning 10 then. 10 years is long enough to haul that weight around.  :glare: I probably won't make that goal, but it would be nice. Then I'll have five pounds or so to lose from my miscarriage and I'll be back at my prepregnacy weight. Twenty-three pounds seems so doable right now, even if it takes a long time. I'm in it for the long haul. I gained over 270 lbs. with my pregnancies. After my last, I still had 70 pounds of that to lose. Twenty-three seems so close.

• Like 1

I've lost (and kept off) 50 pounds doing weight watchers over the past 3 years.

20 pounds to go!!!

I know what to do but over the past 6 months I keep losing/gaining the same 2 pounds.

I told my daughter (whose skinny) that my motivation is to fit into a pair of her pajama pants that she loves. She was not amused :)

• Like 3

I've tried so many things - 17 day diet, whole 30, paleo etc.  Last year I lost about 20 lbs on the 17 day diet but I had already gained back 10 because it's not sustainable.  A month ago I joined Weight Watchers.  They just overhauled their points system to be reward protein and good fats and "penalize" sugar and carbs.  I've lost about 8 lbs since I started.  I know some people hate WW and it's a bit gimmicky but tracking my food has been great.

I think the most helpful thing for me is my fitbit.  I found one cheap on craigslist and I try to take walks most days.  Even short ones if I don't have a lot of time.  My mood is great and I'm losing quite easily.  WW focuses a lot on fitness now instead of just diet - the app links up with my fitbit and awards me "fitpoints" for every step I take and every period of activity.  I have a fitness goal and work towards meeting that rather then just trying to get the scale to go down.  

I tried MFP a couple years ago and failed to lose even while exercising.  I started WW in March and I am down 21 lbs.  I am a slow loser but it is steady and I feel NO deprivation.

Almost immediately I noticed a major decrease in acid reflux.  I have gone from taking prilosec or the like daily and carrying zantac in my purse to never needing it.

I have also quit having a serious sweating problem.

I feel so powerful.

I did not lose any weight in June thanks to 2 birthdays, a graduation and 2 weeks of ministry at church (eating what was provided by parishioners).  However, with massive stress, not gaining was a win.

So all this to say that after 5 months of WW I am still enamored.

• Like 3

The first half of last year I did THM and lost 40 lbs. Well, as of last weekend I weighed 5 lbs MORE than I did when I started THM. Talk about depressing. We had family leave Sunday and I have decided to go back to calorie counting. It isn't trendy, it isn't in style, heck, apparently it isn't even healthy, but it is the only thing I've ever done that has worked and the weight didn't fly back on when I stopped, unlike with THM. I also was not eating enough carbs with THM, which was causing me other problems. So, calorie counting it is. I am also trying to follow 400-400-400 for each meal, which is getting me to eat breakfast, have smaller evening meals, and no ice cream in the evening!!!! I'm down 2 lbs so far in 3 days, lol.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'm trying. I allowed a couple of bad habits to creep in over the past year and my weight has gone up. I don't have a lot to lose. But I've had a hard time getting back on track with lots of house guests and special events.

My normal way of eating is high carb, low fat, vegan, no added oils. This is when I feel my best...plus no hunger/hanger, cravings or digestive issues. It is affordable and sustainable long-term, as least for me and my family.

~Phoenix, my preferred way of eating is definitely not popular but it allows me to feel my best and that is what matters.

• Like 1

*sigh*

I'm feeling a bit down.  DH & I decided to be tight on the budget for July (with the added benefit of less unhealthy splurges and, hopefully, weight loss).  Well, 2 weeks in and I haven't lost a single pound.  I have had 3 sweet teas from the local diner in the last 2 weeks (as opposed to tea and a coffee nearly 4-5 days a week, sometimes more).  I have had take-out twice (as opposed to nearly daily -- I know! terrible!).  I have done a 30-minute strength video 3x a week.

My diet still isn't *great*....but I was hoping for a visible result just from cutting out the excessive sugary drinks and fast food.  Nothing.

(I guess I can always say that I'm getting stronger and healthier INSIDE, which won't always be reflected on the scale.  But still....sigh....)

• Like 1

My weight has crept up forty pounds over the past three years. Living for a short time in India, moving, and stopping homeschooling without a good replacement for it (for me) has led to quite a bit of comfort eating. Plus, I am not used to how very little a woman in her late forties is supposed to eat to maintain a healthy weight. The only three thin women I know well enough to know what's on their plates literally eat no more than what will fit on a salad plate three times a day. That is sooooo depressing to me. However, I am physically uncomfortable at this weight (sitting is uncomfortable, bending down) and just five short years ago I was super fit and 45 pounds lighter so I know how great it feels to be that strong. I do love to walk (and used to walk 7 miles a day on hilly terrain) and I like to lift weights so I will do those things again. I need to do some ab exercises which I hate.

Because I have sensory issues and am a picky eater, my diet is not very broad to begin with. This is good because I don't get bored like some people do from lack of variety. This is bad, because I don't eat a wide range of vegetables. But when I was thinner and stronger I ate all the veggies everyday. When I am stressed or depressed, dark chocolate sometimes replaces one or two. An addiction to Pepsi also does not help. I made the first step by switching to the smaller ones in the glass bottles. Now I am down to one glass bottle on Friday night for our Netflix night. For a while I had my husband hold on to the dark chocolate stash and dole out a regular portion each day, but that led to petty annoyances so I took my chocolate bars back. I think I will store them in the back of an upstairs closet instead. Some barrier between me and them is necessary, however if I don't have them at all I run to the convenience store and buy a much less healthy Hershey bar.

I don't eat a wide variety of grains either, which is probably good. I like homemade popcorn for Netflix Friday, in season corn on the cob, and I tend to eat the homemade whole wheat /extra egg pancakes that my daughter eats in the morning rather than dirtying up another pan. I think I should abandon the pancakes and replace them with bacon and one piece of toast. In season corn is only around for 2.5 months, so I am not giving that up (perhaps I won't eat five ears at a sitting...) However, I have a pig lover in the house and a pig hater in the house and both carry on terribly if they smell bacon! However, bacon is the only breakfast meat I can eat with my issues so they might have to get used to it. I don't eat eggs which would be the obvious substitute for anyone else. Lunch and dinner are easier as no one has a moral issue with walnuts, tuna, grass finished beef, chicken or turkey, nor do they scream in horror at vegetables.

So changes: breakfast: bacon and one slice toast and small glass milk, lunch: meat and veggies, dinner: either tuna or walnuts and an apple and another veggie, dessert: dark chocolate, Netflix Friday: dessert homemade popcorn and one glass bottle of Pepsi (I know, I know lose it altogether... not ready) and go from 2 miles of walking/day to 4 miles and slowly add in strength training (weights, squats, obliques, etc.)

Good luck everyone!

Amazing how complex eating is in our house with everyone's issues. Sigh.

• Like 1

*sigh*

I'm feeling a bit down.  DH & I decided to be tight on the budget for July (with the added benefit of less unhealthy splurges and, hopefully, weight loss).  Well, 2 weeks in and I haven't lost a single pound.  I have had 3 sweet teas from the local diner in the last 2 weeks (as opposed to tea and a coffee nearly 4-5 days a week, sometimes more).  I have had take-out twice (as opposed to nearly daily -- I know! terrible!).  I have done a 30-minute strength video 3x a week.

My diet still isn't *great*....but I was hoping for a visible result just from cutting out the excessive sugary drinks and fast food.  Nothing.

(I guess I can always say that I'm getting stronger and healthier INSIDE, which won't always be reflected on the scale.  But still....sigh....)

I think it can take a long time sometimes. You may not be seeing results immediately, but the changes that you've made are positive and will result on something at some point.

Are you getting close to your time of the month? For whatever reason, I don't lose weight in the two weeks leading up to my period. I basically fight the same three pounds for those two weeks. Then I lose weight for two weeks. It drives me crazy. I still eat the same and exercise just as much in the non-losing weeks, but no matter what I do nothing comes off. 

The biggest factor in my weight loss has been logging my food every day. In the beginning, I just made a commitment to myself to log. That was the first step. I also weigh in every day. I find that tracking my weight and being able to look back at the patterns has helped to prevent discouragement.

• Like 3

I am! Actually, I have been since right after Thanksgiving--I've lost 18 lbs. so far (about 45 to go). I've done a few different diets in the past--but I always gain back everything I lose and then some when I stop. I decided I needed something that was sustainable long-term this time--something I wouldn't mind doing the rest of my life. I can't keep yo-yo dieting! So, I went with the No-S diet (No sweets, snacks, or seconds, except sometimes on days that start with S.) It's not showy--losses may come slower. Most months I lose around 2 lbs, but I've found this is so doable for me. You can take up to 2 additional "S" days for birthdays or holidays or other special occasions each month. If I am on vacation and get off plan, I find I'm not nearly as likely to eat as much junk as I used to--and I can get back on plan when I return home. I enjoy thinking about something special for a "treat" on my "S" days each weekend (instead of feeling guilty for indulging, or instead of mindlessly snacking--I never realized how much I used to eat while I was on the computer!). It's so much easier than calorie counting, and I don't feel deprived the way I have on diets that exclude certain food groups. 

My main challenge is that I seem to only lose weight during two weeks of the month.  The other two weeks I fight the same 2 or 3 pounds. It doesn't matter what I do with food or exercise, this is the pattern. I'm thinking it must be hormonal. 

I have the same issue, and I too have thought that it must be hormonal.  

• Like 1

Are you getting close to your time of the month? For whatever reason, I don't lose weight in the two weeks leading up to my period. I basically fight the same three pounds for those two weeks. Then I lose weight for two weeks. It drives me crazy. I still eat the same and exercise just as much in the non-losing weeks, but no matter what I do nothing comes off. 

That is fairly normal. Many women who are not trying to lose gain water weight in the week before their period, often several lbs. 

• Like 1

Good point. It actually is TTOTM so I guess I'll stick it out and see what happens. It's quite possible I need to log calories to get a better picture of what I'm eating at home. (I suppose I wanted it to be easy -- but I AM getting older, so I'm sure it's going to be harder to lose than it was in the past.)

• Like 1

That is fairly normal. Many women who are not trying to lose gain water weight in the week before their period, often several lbs. 

That makes sense and is good to know.

I am! Actually, I have been since right after Thanksgiving--I've lost 18 lbs. so far (about 45 to go). I've done a few different diets in the past--but I always gain back everything I lose and then some when I stop. I decided I needed something that was sustainable long-term this time--something I wouldn't mind doing the rest of my life. I can't keep yo-yo dieting! So, I went with the No-S diet (No sweets, snacks, or seconds, except sometimes on days that start with S.) It's not showy--losses may come slower. Most months I lose around 2 lbs, but I've found this is so doable for me. You can take up to 2 additional "S" days for birthdays or holidays or other special occasions each month. If I am on vacation and get off plan, I find I'm not nearly as likely to eat as much junk as I used to--and I can get back on plan when I return home. I enjoy thinking about something special for a "treat" on my "S" days each weekend (instead of feeling guilty for indulging, or instead of mindlessly snacking--I never realized how much I used to eat while I was on the computer!). It's so much easier than calorie counting, and I don't feel deprived the way I have on diets that exclude certain food groups. 

That's fabulous. Nice going!

No S was probably similar to how I ate for a long time before getting married and the first several years after. I just was't a snacker and didn't have a sweet tooth. Somewhere along the way that all changed. For sure I caught DH's sweet tooth. Ha! He's been the same slender weight though for the last 16 years, so he needs those calories though. 

• Like 1

Yesterday and today have been good overall but interesting. I feel of the keto bandwagon but did stay lowish carb and highish fat. I was able to get my protein needs met because about one of the only adequate protein (has to be meat for me) things I can stomach in the morning is street tacos (or beef stew but it isn't really the season right now). I know weird, but it is what it is. Two street tacos is only about 300 calories though and that's with extra avocado. I'm so full after two! I can't eat anything else for many hours.

I realizing that most of my extra calories came from soda (310 calories and 86 carbs! That's more that my total carb goal a day now!!) and snack foods that I wasn't really hungry for but just snacked on like potato chips and french fries. So since I can't have those really and am fine with it actually, and I'm trying to pay attention and not eat Just because, I'm having a really hard time getting 1200 calories a day. Like really. Eating adequate protein (something I wasn't always doing especially for breakfast), fat, and low carb meals really fills me up, so I can't keep eating because I'm too full and I'm too full to snack. Really. I guess I should count my self lucky? I was pretty skinny before I started all the snacking and sweet stuff. Maybe that's just my thing?

I'm concerned though because I haven't me my calorie goal 3 day in a row, but I'm not too far off though. Today was a 1000 calories or so. One thing I think I could stomach and find room for is fruit, but because of the sugar content, I'm not fond of the idea of eating it between meals without fat or protein. Then I'd have to add in some almond butter. I can try that. Maybe a snack before bed would work.

About how much carbs to limit myself to now is the question. I did a little less than 100 the past two day (avocado, almond flour cake and coconut ice cream at a birthday party today) which again is about the same as just one soda I was drinking though I usually had two a day, so improvement. But, I think I'd like to keep it no more than 75 on regular days and 100 on special days (thank you No S for that idea :))

I read this interesting article about deciding the right carbs amount for you: http://chriskresser.com/the-3-step-process-to-determining-your-ideal-carbohydrate-intake/

Here's a infographic from the article:

tmp_18432-The-3-Step-Process-to-Determin

I'm sure there are many, many opinions about this topic, but this article resonated with me. I do have blood sugar regulation issues, digestions issues, mood issues, and want to lose weight. But I also have adrenal issues and from what I'm reading people with adrenal issues do need a bit of carbs and tend to not do well on super low carb diets. (ETA: I also think I have a pretty good metabolism, so that's a determining factor as well. )So what I think I'll do until I can research it all more is shoot for the upper end of the low carb 50-75 grams a day. So about 75 carbs a day.

What do you all who track allow yourself in carbs each day? Would love to hear how much and why. Thank you!

Could you please elaborate on this further? That would mean it takes over 100 days to lose one lb of fat, which contains 3,500 cal. Somehow that cannot be right - or maybe I don't understand what the quoted sentence above means.

It sounds about right to me--if someone has 50 pounds of fat to lose, those 50 pounds can liberate about 1550 calories per day. In a week that would be just over three pounds. If you only have one pound of fat, you really shouldn't try to lose it.  :)

Yep, this. 

Good point. It actually is TTOTM so I guess I'll stick it out and see what happens. It's quite possible I need to log calories to get a better picture of what I'm eating at home. (I suppose I wanted it to be easy -- but I AM getting older, so I'm sure it's going to be harder to lose than it was in the past.)

I just wanted to update and say that (as my monthly cycle continued), I stepped on the scale and was 2 pounds down.  This remained constant the following day, even though I had (over)eaten a heavy dinner the night before.  So...that's encouraging! :)  Definitely motivating to finally see some downward movement on the scale!

• Like 1

I share you skepticism, so I did a little research.  These numbers are based on a somewhat obscure paper titled "A limit on the energy transfer rate from the human fat store in hypophagia", which is based on a study of men fed a starvation diet and kept to little or no physical activity.  So, who knows how this applies to the real world.

What the paper really claims is that if you burn more calories than you consume, only 31 calories per total pounds of fat in your body per day can be burned from fat stores and turned into energy.  The remaining energy would come from burning lean body mass.

So, it would  take 100 days to lose one pound of fat, only in the case when you only had one total pound of fat on your body, in which case you'd probably be dead.

Perhaps this holds true in a very controlled laboratory environment, but I remain skeptical of the real world applicability 

• Like 3

Perhaps this holds true in a very controlled laboratory environment, but I remain skeptical of the real world applicability 

The point I was trying to make (it was snipped from a much longer post) is that you really really shouldn't be aiming to lose fat more rapidly than that (you are correct that you're not going to attain ideal laboratory conditions in your home), and you probably ought to be looking at more slowly than that. I see a lot of magazine covers in the supermarket where they're talking some garbage like "lose 15 pounds in 21 days!" and this is neither sustainable nor healthy, yet it leads us to believe that results like that are both possible and desirable, and then we get frustrated because we aren't seeing results like that in our far more moderate and sustainable home diets. 

• Like 3

I just wanted to update and say that (as my monthly cycle continued), I stepped on the scale and was 2 pounds down. This remained constant the following day, even though I had (over)eaten a heavy dinner the night before. So...that's encouraging! :) Definitely motivating to finally see some downward movement on the scale!

So exciting. Thanks for sharing! That's encouraging.

My weekly weigh in is tomorrow morning. I've been camping this weekend and haven't counted calories but not overeating and low carb and no sugar except for a little not too carby and sugary fruit. I had gained a pound or two back when I stopped doing keto, so hopefully whatever the scale says will be more accurate than losing 5 pounds in after only several days of eating well. ;)

3.5 pounds down. I can see a little difference in the mirror too. I def. feel much better! The white coating on my tounge is gone (yeast?) even though I'm still doing my normal brush, water floss, antimicrobial mouthwash routine. I forgot how good it feels to be off the carbs and sugar wheel.

On to week two!

• Like 2

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/no-one-fits-all-healthy-diet-exists

Interesting and relevant article. For those of you who are doing the thing that fits your body and doesn't conform to standard guidelines, it should be reassuring. :P

So interesting. Thanks for sharing! I saw this research supporting a high fat, Mediterranean diet in the news today: http://time.com/4411754/fat-mediterranean-diet/

I have 48 meatloaf muffins going in the freezer tonight. I can do meatloaf (and a salad with lots of olive oil if I'm feeling ambitious) for breakfast too. The meatloaf has some oatmeal in it, which is the only thing that resembles my former breakfasts. Ha!

Interesting and relevant comment from the reddit thread I found it on:

The article leaves out important information about the mouse strains used so I'll summarize here:

A/J mice are a robust strain resistant to diabetes, obesity, and atherosclerosis.

NOD/ShiLtJ mice are engineered to be susceptible to type 1 diabetes (non-obesity-induced).

C57BL/6J mice are susceptible to diet-induced obesity and type 2 diabetes, and atherosclerosis.

FVB/NJ are susceptible to several conditions that don't strike me as immediately diet-related, but definitely could be (I'm not a mouse expert)

Points to take away: different diets have different effects on strains of mice that are deliberately engineered to be susceptible to specific conditions.

The purpose of such research is to eventually extrapolate to humans; a pertinent conclusion to be drawn could be "given susceptibility to condition X, diet Y may be the healthiest." Although this can't be done from just one study.

• Like 1

Nice being good on vacation. Let us know how the weigh in goes!

Ugh, not good. I lost control somewhere midweek. I mean I wasn't horrible, but I stopped running every day (went to the beach instead!) and wasn't eating as well. I ended up actually gaining a few pounds. Hosting a family reunion this weekend, but am recommitting next week. I long for the days when I could drop 5 or 10 pounds easily and quickly.

• Like 1

Ugh, not good. I lost control somewhere midweek. I mean I wasn't horrible, but I stopped running every day (went to the beach instead!) and wasn't eating as well. I ended up actually gaining a few pounds. Hosting a family reunion this weekend, but am recommitting next week. I long for the days when I could drop 5 or 10 pounds easily and quickly.

Oh bummer. You caught it early though and will hopefully be back to where you were soon enough. Hugs!

I would like to lose 10-15 pounds. I've been bouncing around the same 2-3 pounds for two months now and I'm super frustrated. I'm thinking about trying weight watchers again, that and calorie counting are the only things that have worked Ina sustainable way for me. On the upside I'm about as fit as I've ever been, I spin, run, do weights, and HIIT. So it helps me not feel so bad. I'm so tired of the yo yo game, I have a 20 pound spread that I seem to go to each end at least once every year.

I'm about to head off to the beach for a week of vacation. Yay! But I'm also worried it'll erase my measly 2-pound loss (or that I'll gain). I'm hoping we'll be active enough, and that I can resist between-meal snacking. (We're going with my parents, so snacks will abound and we'll be eating out a bit.)

• Like 1

I'm about to head off to the beach for a week of vacation. Yay! But I'm also worried it'll erase my measly 2-pound loss (or that I'll gain). I'm hoping we'll be active enough, and that I can resist between-meal snacking. (We're going with my parents, so snacks will abound and we'll be eating out a bit.)

I hope you have a wonderful time. Enjoy! Pickles have been my go-to snack. No calories. Maybe take some healthy alternatives?

I've been experiencing some hunger a bit even though I'm getting about 1200 calories in now. That's kind of normal after adjusting to a new way of eating, but also, after looking over MFP, I'm seeing that I'm not eating enough fat (still over what most diets would recommend though!). Kind of been slacking there and need to be more purposeful about that. I haven't weighed myself again, but the mirror is telling me I've lost a little more weight. Looking forward to Monday's weigh in!

After this month, I'll start a weight loss/maintenance August thread for those interested in support. Having friends on MFP is great too. I'm ORstrawberry if anyone wants company there.

I'm starting to figure out how to distribute protein, carbs, and fats between meals. I'm feeling full after meals and not hungry between them am easily able to make it to the next one and not snack at night. 3, 400 or so calorie meals and no snacks is working well for me. I'm doing a lot of the same foods because it's just easier. Life is busy right now.

I started to have a little freakout about actually losing weight doing so much fat! But I'm losing, and my skin is looking great! Very moisturized from the inside out. :)

Official weigh in is in a few days, but I weighed a few days ago and am down 1.5 so far this week. Yay!

• Like 1

I've been "trying" to lose weight this summer. I joined weight watchers. In six weeks, I was down 9.2 lbs. During week seven I gained 7.6. Slow weight loss is great, except one bad week can erase months of good days. Sigh.

Oh no! Bummer. That can't be all fat though? Maybe you'll lose a bunch just as quickly?

I've been "trying" to lose weight this summer. I joined weight watchers. In six weeks, I was down 9.2 lbs. During week seven I gained 7.6. Slow weight loss is great, except one bad week can erase months of good days. Sigh.

That can't be all fat -- did you have a large salty/carby dinner the day before or two days before your weigh-in? That can give you a monstrous spike in water. 
Edited by kiana
  • Like 2