Menu

Give it to me straight. Tell me all the reasons why...

people who take their coughing, sniveling, sniffling, snot-nosed kids around other people's kids are despicable.

Because I really want to put my child, who fits the description above, into Swim and Gym today so I can work out with my friend.

But it would be so wrong. It would be bad for him and it would be bad for the other kids and it would be an annoyance to the teachers.

But I want to do it anyway. Because I am selfish. And we are supposed to get our registration completed today for our homeschool moms Fat Busters team. And I look forward to that time without kids every Tuesday and Thursday.

But it's wrong.

But I want to.

But it's not fair to the other kids.

But missing my mom time is not fair to me.

But it is not kind to the aforementioned snot-nosed kid.

But I don't want to be kind. I want what I want.

people who take their coughing, sniveling, sniffling, snot-nosed kids around other people's kids are despicable.

Because I really want to put my child, who fits the description above, into Swim and Gym today so I can work out with my friend.

But it would be so wrong. It would be bad for him and it would be bad for the other kids and it would be an annoyance to the teachers.

But I want to do it anyway. Because I am selfish. And we are supposed to get our registration completed today for our homeschool moms Fat Busters team. And I look forward to that time without kids every Tuesday and Thursday.

But it's wrong.

But I want to.

But it's not fair to the other kids.

But missing my mom time is not fair to me.

But it is not kind to the aforementioned snot-nosed kid.

But I don't want to be kind. I want what I want.

I am not saying it is always wrong but I have 2 little boys that were diagnosed with asthma when they were less then 1 year old. One of them had RSV also and the other was admitted to the hospital for 3 days. I got really hyper after that who they were around.

We had a lady come into our church nursery with her sick ds and said he should be fine, he has had a low fever, then went to list all his other symptoms but said she really needed to be in Sunday school that morning. I was furious!

Just snot nosed and sniveling doesn't necessarily mean they shouldn't be around other kids though. I feel like my guys are always sniveling in the winter time.

Edited by Momto4kids
HAD rsv

Then you need to keep him home. Can you do some sort of home workout today?

I realize kids do get colds, and such is life. But I admit to having no patience with parents who take out kids that really should be at home resting, thereby giving the cold to every other child and adult nearby.

It's one thing at the tail end of a cold, when the slight cough or nose run can linger. But if he's really feeling sick, or in the beginning of the cold, he should be home.

Michelle T

My daughter has asthma and when she gets a cold, it turns into bronchitis, an upper respiratory infection or a lung infection. There are kids that get worse. To me, bringing a sick child around other kids is just unfair. You can say the kids with the weaker immunity shouldn't be out, but it is the child who is contagious who should not be out infecting others.

Sorry, just my opinion. But think of all the illnesses we could prevent if everyone followed that. If I have to take my dd out to get meds, I do it drive through only while she is still contagious (they will get non-prescrip stuff if you call ahead).

For goodness sake go! If you are sure the kid just has a cold and is fever free do it! My goodness, I wonder how many places dd goes every day where there are adults or kids with a cold? There have been days when dd has a cold but still wants to do her activities and I didn't stop her. I'm sure you can tell the difference between a cold and something that needs to keep you home. See how he is later. Kids can go either uphill or downhill fast.

Then you need to keep him home. Can you do some sort of home workout today?

I realize kids do get colds, and such is life. But I admit to having no patience with parents who take out kids that really should be at home resting, thereby giving the cold to every other child and adult nearby.

It's one thing at the tail end of a cold, when the slight cough or nose run can linger. But if he's really feeling sick, or in the beginning of the cold, he should be home.

Michelle T

He is actually at the tail end of this. I should have kept him home on Tuesday, he did not seem so bad. By Tuesday night he was quite sick, yesterday he was still quite sick and I did keep him home last night.

No fever. The cough sounds dry. His nose is runny and he is a bit whiney. I can't judge if he really feels bad or is just being whiney. He hates Swim and Gym so he will usually whine about ANYTHING if he thinks it will get him out of exerting himself.

For goodness sake go! If you are sure the kid just has a cold and is fever free do it! My goodness, I wonder how many places dd goes every day where there are adults or kids with a cold? There have been days when dd has a cold but still wants to do her activities and I didn't stop her. I'm sure you can tell the difference between a cold and something that needs to keep you home. See how he is later. Kids can go either uphill or downhill fast.

Now, see. I LIKE your way of thinking!

If the snot is clear and there is no fever, I say take him, it's that time of year.

However, if the snot is yellow or there has been a fever in the last 24 hours, please keep him home. I have a child with a weak immune system who gets sick and even a minor cold can send him to the hospital. Keep those kids in mind when you take your kids out sick knowingly. (especially just so you get a few moments to yourself) Oh, and sometimes being a mom isn't 'fair' when it comes to alone time.....

How was that?? ;)

He is just snot-nosed and sniveling. And whiney. But he is my whiner, so I don't take that TOO seriously.

Oh, go. He's not going to lick other kids or blow his nose on them, is he? Give him some kleenexes for his pocket, remind him how to use them, and go.

My boys snivel all winter long. I don't take them out if they have a fever or green mucous, but the tail-end of a cold won't typically keep us home. We'd never leave otherwise.

You can also teach your kids proper hygiene--coughing into a tissue or elbow instead of their hands, hand washing, keeping hands away from mouth and nose, etc. It helps prevent the spread of illness, and helps prevent getting other people's illnesses.

If the snot is clear and there is no fever, I say take him, it's that time of year.

However, if the snot is yellow or there has been a fever in the last 24 hours, please keep him home. I have a child with a weak immune system who gets sick and even a minor cold can send him to the hospital. Keep those kids in mind when you take your kids out knowingly in public sick. (especially just so you get a few moments to yourself) Oh, and sometimes being a mom isn't 'fair' when it comes to alone time.....

How was that?? ;)

He was slightly feverish on Tuesday night, after Swim and Gym, so I kept him from scouts. He was not feverish yesterday, but whiney so I kept him home from church. The snot is clear, there is a moderate amount of it. (Though with all of his snorting and his sorry noseblowing skills he makes it seem like there is more!:lol:)

However, if the snot is yellow or there has been a fever in the last 24 hours, please keep him home. I have a child with a weak immune system who gets sick and even a minor cold can send him to the hospital. Keep those kids in mind when you take your kids out sick knowingly. (especially just so you get a few moments to yourself) Oh, and sometimes being a mom isn't 'fair' when it comes to alone time.....

How was that?? ;)

:lol: Very diplomatic, and I think you covered both sides of the issue well :lol:.

He was slightly feverish on Tuesday night, after Swim and Gym, so I kept him from scouts. He was not feverish yesterday, but whiney so I kept him home from church. The snot is clear, there is a moderate amount of it. (Though with all of his snorting and his sorry noseblowing skills he makes it seem like there is more!:lol:)

I think he sounds fine....usually clear snot is no biggie! Have fun.....however, if I had some free time I would go get a drink and an appitizer somewhere, NOT work out! :lol:

Have fun.....however, if I had some free time I would go get a drink and an appitizer somewhere, NOT work out! :lol:

Well, you take what you can get! We do chat up a storm on the treadmill, so it doesn't feel so torturous.

And now we have entered this Fat Buster contest, so we have motivation. We don't want the homeschool mom team to be in last place!

I am not saying it is always wrong but I have 2 little boys that were diagnosed with asthma when they were less then 1 year old. One of them had RSV also and the other was admitted to the hospital for 3 days. I got really hyper after that who they were around.

We had a lady come into our church nursery with her sick ds and said he should be fine, he has had a low fever, then went to list all his other symptoms but said she really needed to be in Sunday school that morning. I was furious!

Just snot nosed and sniveling doesn't necessarily mean they shouldn't be around other kids though. I feel like my guys are always sniveling in the winter time.

I had a child that had RSV as an infant and then pneumonia 4 times in one winter. I would get very angry about people bringing their sick kids around to places. My option was to keep her home ALL of the time so that they didn't have to keep their kids home at all ever. I still have this child but her lungs finally healed and she doesn't get that sick anymore. Every cold turns into bronchitis but no more asthma and no more pneumonia. Knock wood.

But, a runny nose w/o a fever isn't really a big deal.

He is actually at the tail end of this. I should have kept him home on Tuesday, he did not seem so bad. By Tuesday night he was quite sick, yesterday he was still quite sick and I did keep him home last night.

No fever. The cough sounds dry. His nose is runny and he is a bit whiney. I can't judge if he really feels bad or is just being whiney. He hates Swim and Gym so he will usually whine about ANYTHING if he thinks it will get him out of exerting himself.

It's been over 24 hours since his mild fever, most daycare rules would admit the child. Some rules state the color of mucous, but it has since been realized that mucous color is not a determiner- presence of fever is a determiner. I've worked in Head Start, private preschools, and public schools, and the rules have all been very similar. Tail-end of a cold with no fever is not contagious. There are some general guidelines here: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/childrens-conditions/CC00059

I've stopped taking my 19 month old daughter to kid places due to the fact that people take their sick children there. My DD gets the croup every single time she catches a cold. This last time it landed her in the hospital. I'm not willing to do that again....she was miserable. Just before she was admitted to the hospital she was in a VBS class with several sick, runny nosed, coughing, fever children. A few days later she got an ear infection, an upper respiratory infection....and those developed into croup overnight.

So now we do not let her go into her class at church or stay at any other childcare place. We use the high chair/shopping cart cover for shopping and eating out....and if we do not have it, she does not go into those things. We only go to places like Chuck E Cheese if we are armed with lots of antibacterial hand soap and we use it frequently.

Sorry, but some kids get more than just a cold when they catch something from another child. I have to keep my daughter out of her Sunday School class because people put their sick children in there. I'm sorry, I hope I dont sound harsh....it just broke my heart to see my daughter in the hospital with croup, having difficulty breathing. I never take my children to childcare places if they are sick.

I have to keep my daughter out of her Sunday School class because people put their sick children in there.

This is the problem- people put sick children in public childcare places. They've had fevers (that parents ignore or discount), or lie about they had one just last night (24 hours needs to pass from the time fever has gone down, not when it started). Thankfully, her child isn't sick. However, if someone else puts their sick child in, he will get worse.

I have mixed feeling on this. One year it seemed ds caught everything people brought to Sunday school. Unfortunately sometimes by the time you realize your child is sick the time of contagion is past.

My problem is I have a suppressed immune system and I catch almost everything. I hate getting sick after my ds has been around sick kids.

I will turn around in the aisle of a store if someone is coughing & gagging in front of me. The last time I didn't I ended up in bed for two weeks with bronchitis.

Well, we went. He whined all the way there. He whined in the parking lot. His eyelids looked all droopy and he. could. hardly. carry. his. own. gymbag. It was soooooooo heeeeeeeeeeeavy.

Until he saw his friends. Then suddenly he could run and laugh and.......:rolleyes:

What a whiner. He ran sprints better than ever before, his gym teacher was bragging on him. He swam without the flotation belt and did protest when Kenneth The Super Lifeguard threw him in the deep end. He had fun. I never saw him get his tissues and wipe his nose, I never heard him sniffle. It was a like a miracle.

And then we went out to the parking lot and he did not think he could carry his gym bag because it was soooooo heeeeeeavy and he was sooooooo sick. In fact he whined all the way home "Mo-om, I am soooo sick. Can I just play gamecube? I am too sick to do anything else."

Does anyone else have a whiner? Can anyone bear witness here?

Well, we went. He whined all the way there. He whined in the parking lot. His eyelids looked all droopy and he. could. hardly. carry. his. own. gymbag. It was soooooooo heeeeeeeeeeeavy.

Until he saw his friends. Then suddenly he could run and laugh and.......:rolleyes:

What a whiner. He ran sprints better than ever before, his gym teacher was bragging on him. He swam without the flotation belt and did protest when Kenneth The Super Lifeguard threw him in the deep end. He had fun. I never saw him get his tissues and wipe his nose, I never heard him sniffle. It was a like a miracle.

And then we went out to the parking lot and he did not think he could carry his gym bag because it was soooooo heeeeeeavy and he was sooooooo sick. In fact he whined all the way home "Mo-om, I am soooo sick. Can I just play gamecube? I am too sick to do anything else."

Does anyone else have a whiner? Can anyone bear witness here?

This is hilarious! What a cracker head! :tongue_smilie: Kids are *so* funny, aren't they?! :D

His eyelids looked all droopy and he. could. hardly. carry. his. own. gymbag. It was soooooooo heeeeeeeeeeeavy.

LOL here! Funny how my son's violin is WAY too heavy for him to carry the five blocks to violin lesson, but any new Lego purchase, no matter how many pieces or how big the box, can be carried for miles. Or how HUNGRY and TIRED and (yawn) SLEEPY he can be during violin practice....then ten minutes later (with no snack in between) he is happily playing Legos or Spore. No yawning, no mention of food or sleep. Sigh.

Oh, and a story that isn't all that relevant. I used to volunteer at the gym childcare in exchange for membership. One day a parent drops her 2yo off in the childcare and says, "I am SO tired. She was up all night with the stomach flu." Ummmm, okey dokie.

Julie

Edited by buddhabelly

LOL here! Funny how my son's violin is WAY too heavy for him to carry the five blocks to violin lesson, but any new Lego purchase, no matter how many pieces or how big the box, can be carried for miles. Or how HUNGRY and TIRED and (yawn) SLEEPY he can be during violin practice....then ten minutes later (with no snack in between) he is happily playing Legos or Spore. No yawning, no mention of food or sleep. Sigh.

Julie

It's almost spooky, isn't it? Kids have a really weird, unpredictable immune system. Or something like that.

When I replied earlier I didnt realize that your child was 8 years old. An 8 year old is different than a 19 month old in that respect. I think I would send an 8 year old as long as he wasnt too bad. A sick 19 month old chews on things, slobbers on their hands, wipes their snotty noses with their hands, etc. Much different LOL!

I follow these guidelines: temp above 100'F, feeling icky (headache, sweats/chills), or glazed eyes they stay home. Beyond that they go out in public. We would never leave the house if we waited until everyone was 100%. (slight exaggeration) Kids get sick; it happens. No reason to stop the rat race unless they're clearly contagious or will negatively impact the child.

Go, go, go enjoy yourself!

RSV looks like a cold when adults and kids have it but it hospitalizes more than 125,000 infants/toddlers each year. About 500 of them die.

That said, my son was going to public preschool so he could receive speech therapy when my youngest was born. He brought home a cold that he contracted from another student who's parent brought him to school despite him being sick. My baby, then just 2 weeks old, got it from his brother. We spent eight days in the hospital with him on oxygen, fighting to breathe, and unable to eat (you have to be able to breathe through your nose to nurse or take a botle). We spent eight days waiting to see if our newborn was going to live or die because someone took their son to school when he was sick.

We quit going to church because people kept bringing contagious children to the nursery after that. We returned after the flu and RSV season were over but never quite got back into going to church again. It's been a year and half since then and I still panic every time one of my kids gets sick.