Menu

Living in Colorado, Indiana, Idaho?

Janeway

Anyone have opinions on these places for living and/or feedback?

I prefer a city, I grew up in a small town/rural area. I prefer lower taxes. But I would like good state university tuition and/or state financial aid for school (even for need based). 

And while no one here might have feedback on this, a place with good support for people with ASD. I know we have a lot here for people with ASD to help them transition in to adulthood and so on. But unless you have an older child with ASD, you probably won't know this.

Oh, and preferably, a place that is not so homophobic that my child cannot even attend school or have friends. Thanks.

Edited by Janeway
  • Like 1

I grew up in Bloomington, IN. Not a big city, but a good-sized college town. As such, it has a very liberal vibe that is accepting of all. I don't know about their ASD services, but there is a local organization called Stonebelt that services and assists those with developmental disabilities--just not sure if ASD is one of their target audiences. My sister is involved with the Special Olympics program there and they are very active, so there seems to be great support for people with differing abilities.

The local state U is a great place, and in-state tuition is decent, plus IN has several merit and need-based scholarships. Or, you could get a job at the university and pay 1/2 of in-state tuition for your child.

Taxes--I think IN is pretty middle of the road. But Bloomington's more progressive leadership does support higher local and property taxes, I believe.

Nice place to grow up, IMO. Of course I moved away and don't plan on moving back, but I do love to go home to visit!

• Like 1

Dd22 lives in Boise. Housing costs are reasonable as is instate tuition. Jobs seem pretty available as well. It's a lovely small city with lots of suburbs near by.

We lived in Denver for years, but I wouldn't recommend it as a place to live. Colorado Springs or one of the outlying suburbs would be much nicer.

No clue on the ASD thing, sorry

Housing in Denver is AWFUL right now. Terrible. Stop. Stay away. And tuition at the big schools is way too much.

But we aren't so homophobic and I as far as I know, there is a good support system for asd, and smaller schools are cheaper!

Idaho does not have an insurance mandate for autism services coverage.  Colorado mandates coverage for minors. Indiana mandates coverage for "insureds".  Resources for transitional services tend to be city specific.  Sometimes even smaller university towns have great services---but I'd narrow down and target some cities to do your research.

What about Billings, Montana?

• Like 1

I'd probably steer clear of Idado, especially the panhandle due to homophobia. But the whole state due to the insurance issue.

Colorado is nice and the cities have the ASD services (family is from there and we have relatives there with children on the spectrum) but pricey in many areas. Very pricey.

I know nothing about Indiana besides that it shares a border with Kentucky and starts and ends in vowels.

• Like 1

Our insurance is locked due to being a remote employee, so I am not worried about any mandates to our private insurance covering stuff. What I am more worried about is job training and college for kids with ASD. Educational services basically.

Personally, I would choose Colorado, and I'd look for something like this: http://www.gardencolorado.org/who-we-are/index.html (their I-Thrive program).    The state I was in before had special parks & rec activities, supported employment opportunities, social nights, and a lot of support for independent living.

This program is based out of Littleton, and there are plenty of smallish towns/rural feel just to the south of there.

I know almost nothing about ASD services here other than I have seen many buildings offering services. I think if you Google ASD services of Indianapolis there is a site with information.

We live near Indianapolis and it's much less homophobic than any other place we've lived (except California). There is also a large group, Indiana Youth Group, specifically for non straight teens downtown. They have meetings and get togethers every week. It's just a safe place for them to be with others like them.

We have one who will be off to college soon and we've been pleased with the state Universities we've visited. Tuition doesn't seem crazy.

We moved from the south and our cost of living has gone down.

Edited by Joker
  • Like 2

I live near Colorado Springs.  It is much more affordable than Denver.  UCCS is very affordable and a good school, probably where DD will be going.  Don't know about ASD services, although a couple of friends I have with other disabilities seem to get very good benefits and programs.

I have a friend right now trying to find housing in Denver and it is totally out of control.  Would not recommend.

Co Springs is fairly conservative Christian, but there is enough of a hippy element that I think that might balance the homophobe tendencies, although I can't say that for sure.  

We love it here.

I live near Colorado Springs.  It is much more affordable than Denver.  UCCS is very affordable and a good school, probably where DD will be going.  Don't know about ASD services, although a couple of friends I have with other disabilities seem to get very good benefits and programs.

I have a friend right now trying to find housing in Denver and it is totally out of control.  Would not recommend.

Co Springs is fairly conservative Christian, but there is enough of a hippy element that I think that might balance the homophobe tendencies, although I can't say that for sure.  

We love it here.

:iagree:  :iagree:  :iagree: 

I live rurally in IN. Taxes and college are ok but for decent services you're going to need a city. I'd rec Indy. We lived there for 10 years pre-kids and it's medical was very good. Here in the sticks ASD services are essentially non-available. I think a city will get you a much more liberal vibe. My dd lives in Valporaiso an hour outside Chicago, well educated, affluent college town. A nice mix of small with big city very close.

• Like 1

You didn't ask for this, but I am going to throw this out there anyway.  We live in NC in an area with some of the top notch ASD assistance I have ever seen.  My 18 year old is ASD and we have been very pleased.

State colleges (UNC system) is quite inexpensive!  Around $7K for a year's tuition and fees.  It doesn't include books or lodging, but I think that is very cheap for a decent college.

There are a lot of gay people here, I can't say everyone is amenable, but I couldn't even say that in Los Angeles, so there ya go, you find your people.

I can PM you more info if you want, don't want to put personal stuff here.

• Like 3

Of all the places we've lived, Fort Collins CO is still my favorite. With the possible exception of Colorado Springs, I would think any medium-sized or larger city in CO would not have problems with homophobia. My husband's grad degree at CSU was fully funded, so I don't really know about college costs.

You didn't ask for this, but I am going to throw this out there anyway.  We live in NC in an area with some of the top notch ASD assistance I have ever seen.  My 18 year old is ASD and we have been very pleased.

State colleges (UNC system) is quite inexpensive!  Around $7K for a year's tuition and fees.  It doesn't include books or lodging, but I think that is very cheap for a decent college.

There are a lot of gay people here, I can't say everyone is amenable, but I couldn't even say that in Los Angeles, so there ya go, you find your people.

I can PM you more info if you want, don't want to put personal stuff here.

I was wondering if we should consider NC or VA maybe..or something else that direction. I would love more information! 

Of all the places we've lived, Fort Collins CO is still my favorite. With the possible exception of Colorado Springs, I would think any medium-sized or larger city in CO would not have problems with homophobia. My husband's grad degree at CSU was fully funded, so I don't really know about college costs.

I was going to suggest looking at Ft. Collins if you wanted a city-ish place while still being somewhat less expensive than Denver for now.  For colleges you'd have Colorado State University and near enough University of Northern Colorado

I grew up in Bloomington, IN. Not a big city, but a good-sized college town. As such, it has a very liberal vibe that is accepting of all. I don't know about their ASD services, but there is a local organization called Stonebelt that services and assists those with developmental disabilities--just not sure if ASD is one of their target audiences. My sister is involved with the Special Olympics program there and they are very active, so there seems to be great support for people with differing abilities.

The local state U is a great place, and in-state tuition is decent, plus IN has several merit and need-based scholarships. Or, you could get a job at the university and pay 1/2 of in-state tuition for your child.

Taxes--I think IN is pretty middle of the road. But Bloomington's more progressive leadership does support higher local and property taxes, I believe.

Nice place to grow up, IMO. Of course I moved away and don't plan on moving back, but I do love to go home to visit!

Also from B-ton. Excellent place to raise kids.  Very open accepting of all types of people.  I would live there now, just to raise my kids there, but the job market isn't the best unless you're in Education, Pharmaceutical manufacturing, or service.  As for Stonebelt, it has a great reputation, my cousin with Downs Syndrome has a job with them and lives in housing they arranged.  Lots of outreach.

IU.... is a great but IMO expensive state school (tuition is around 11k-12k per year)  but you can attend Ivytech CC, for the first 2 years and all credits transfer to IU (tuition less than 4k per year).  

If you're religious (Christian but socially liberal?) there are several open churches including an excellent UU.  If you're of a different faith there's likely a congregation there, including Buddhists (with temple) and Humanists. Bloomington is in my opinion a great place to raise a child who is LGBTQ, another reason I wish we could live there.

For lower taxes and a reasonable COL look outside city limits or even in another county.  North Lawrence is a 20-30 minute drive and a ton of people live in East Greene. The only problem with those is if you were PSing, not as accepting of LGBTQ, although better than it used to be and worlds above many other places in level of acceptance.  

I would also recommend the Carmel/Fishers area North side of Indianapolis. Safe, mostly accepting, more religious but not crazy anti-gay about it, IME.  Plenty of jobs, no idea about the taxes.  

Broadripple is, or at least was 20 years ago, similar to B-ton in the young artsy vibe. 

• Like 1

We like Colorado Springs partially because it is conservative; however, we live on the west side, which is decidedly more mixed, and just up the mountain 10-15 minutes is Manitou, which is as liberal as you could want (but also expensive and full of obnoxious tourists).  I've noticed a strong tendency in Colorado (vs Missouri, where we lived prior) to live and let live - the same philosophy that drives things like legalizing marijuana, etc.  

People are very nice.  Like, strangely nice. They drive a bit more aggressively than they did in MO, though - but also more safely (our insurance rates are lower).  I know nothing about colleges here (other than the AFA), but there's a lot of institutional support for homeschooling - every district in the Springs area seems to have a homeschool day program run through the public (or sometimes public charter) schools, where your kid gets to go one day a week to an enrichment program for homeschoolers.  It's kind of like co-ops, except you don't have to teach and it's free.  There are a ton of different ones so you can pick the type that appeals to you.

The COL is noticeably higher than it was in Missouri, but the index puts it at about average.  Climate is great; utilities are pretty cheap; food is good.