Menu

Sunscreen allergy - what do you use?

purpleowl

My 4-year-old had a horrible rash this morning after wearing Waterbabies sunscreen yesterday. A rapid strep test came back negative*, and the doctor thinks she most likely had an allergic reaction to the sunscreen. It's the same kind I've always used, but yesterday was her first time wearing it in several months.

I looked at CVS and only saw other things with the same (or most of the same) active ingredients as those in Waterbabies, so I didn't want to try any of those.** If you've dealt with a sunscreen allergy for yourself or your kids, what do you use? And where can I go out and buy some TODAY? DDs are taking swimming lessons this week and next, and they already missed today because of this.

Thanks in advance!

* The nurse heard me say that we'd been learning about chemistry this year, so she actually brought the test out and explained to my girls how it works and how she could tell it was negative. Very cool!

** I do realize that an inactive ingredient could be the allergen, but I've read that these active ingredients are known to be likely allergens, so I'm starting from that assumption.

I got a rash from chemical sunscreen, so now I use physical sunscreen instead.  It's Banana Boat Kids SPF 50 with active ingredients zinc oxide and titanium dioxide.  The big bottle with pump dispenser was cheap on Amazon.

Another one I like is Alba mineral sunscreen.

I've had no rash problem with either of these.  There is the pasty white factor to deal with, though Banana Boat rubs in pretty well.

• Like 4

My DS has always gotten rashes and sandpaper skin from sunscreen. We have organic/natural large particle zinc stuff from online (Kabana), tinted so we don't glow silver, but if you have a health food store/Whole foods, they'll have some that'll probably work.

Also, DS has a long sleeved rash guard so there is less skin exposed requiring sunscreen. Natural stuff is harder to spread because it works physically vs.chemically.

Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 1

I don't know that particular sunscreen, but it's either a chemical or a physical sunscreen. Whichever it is, try the other one.

And the 'Natural' ones use the same exact active ingredients.  Natural means nothing as a marketing term.

But chemical sunscreen or physical are pretty much your options.  I know one person who is allergic to the physical ones and one who is allergic to the chemical ones.  Well, the one who allergic to the chemical ones gets terrible acne on her face, that is it, but she still doesn't use it. It's not quite an allergy, it just causes acne

• Like 1

I don't know that particular sunscreen, but it's either a chemical or a physical sunscreen. Whichever it is, try the other one.

And the 'Natural' ones use the same exact active ingredients. Natural means nothing as a marketing term.

But chemical sunscreen or physical are pretty much your options. I know one person who is allergic to the physical ones and one who is allergic to the chemical ones. Well, the one who allergic to the chemical ones gets terrible acne on her face, that is it, but she still doesn't use it. It's not quite an allergy, it just causes acne

As usual, one needs to look below the surface and read ingredients. Here is the ingredient list for the one we use copied from their website:

The Complete List of Ingredients in Bali Bloc

25% non-nano Zinc Oxide

Certified Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

Certified Organic Cocoa Powder

Certified Organic Beeswax

Only FOUR ingredients, total!

Now a person could be allergic to any of those ingredients, but they are, in fact, natural and recognizable. Not "just" marketing.

We use Sunology but despite having multiple other allergies neither kid has thus far reacted to sunscreen. You can compare active ingredients to see if out is different from the Waterbabies.

I did have a friend who made coconut oil sunscreen but I have no idea what she added to make it sun safe.

• Like 1

I'm allergic to all chemical sunscreens which sucks a whole lot because I'm pale & have tons of skin damage already & spend lots of time outdoors. I can only use the mineral sunscreens and no matter how good, they are always more sticky & not as matte/disappearing.

That said, some of the better ones are the Paula's Choice ones & Godess Garden. http://www.goddessgarden.com/

We use Alba or one of the others with only titanium dioxide and non-nano zinc oxide. 

Honest Kids sunscreen is one of the easier ones to find in that category, but our experience has not been good with it.  I'm not sure why that is, as the chemical composition of the sun blockers is relatively the same, but I burn more with it.

Also, we have started to invest in uv-blocking clothing.  It's worth it, and reducing the frequency of application of mineral based sunscreens hopefully will help keep me from sensitizing to these ingredients. 

• Like 1

As usual, one needs to look below the surface and read ingredients. Here is the ingredient list for the one we use copied from their website:

Now a person could be allergic to any of those ingredients, but they are, in fact, natural and recognizable. Not "just" marketing.

It's the 25% Zinc Oxide that is the sunscreen. That is in any number of physical sunscreens, those that are labeled 'natural' and those that are not.  That is what I mean by the sunscreens labeled natural and those not will contain the same active ingredients. 

The words 'natural' have no meaning as a label on a product.  What you buy may or may not contain things you recognize. It's not like the term 'organic' which has a legal definition.  And even then, the label 'organic' has codicils and exceptions. 

As someone who tends to have sensitive skin, I have more problems and reactions with 'natural' products than I do with products made for sensitive skin. A 'natural' product often contains essential oils for fragrance, for example, or plant derived ingredients, that causes me to have a reaction. I am allergic to camomile and that is a frequent ingredient in 'natural' products that claim to sooth the skin.

But back to sunscreen, natural or not, your choices are still a chemical or physical active ingredient. Those are going to be the same across the board.

• Like 1

My daughter reacts to every chemical sunscreen we've tried. The last reaction ended up with a swollen face. We're trying Heliocare 360 mineral fluid which is a mineral sunscreen but it's only just arrived so not sure if it'll trigger any reaction. Sometimes she can wear them once and it's the second application that she gets the reaction.

Thanks everyone. I think CVS only had the chemical ones (which Waterbabies is), no physical ones. I will probably try Whole Foods and see if I can find a physical one there.

I appreciate all the help!

Most regular places carry the Banana Boat mentioned above. That's what we use when I need it in large quantities. There's a readily-available Neutrogena Baby Pure & Free (comes in tube and a stick) that works too. I use the Banana Boat on bodies and the Neutrogena stick on faces. My DS and I react to the chemical sunblocks such as oxybenzone. We're fine with the ones whose active ingredients are zinc and/or titanium dioxide. The mist kinds are all rash-inducing. I bought Honest Baby at Costco last year and burned to a crisp using it. I know several people who had the same issue, and it was all over online. I'm a ghostly pale redhead and the two I mentioned are what I use at the pool, beach, ball games, etc. Target carries a Cerave Baby lotion in a tube that's safe, but it is really hard to rub in the white cast. I bought it for my everyday face sunscreen and...no. I looked like I was trying to do kabuki theater. At the beach I wouldn't care! 

Bed, Bath, & Beyond carries a pretty good selection of the more "natural" sunscreens, and you can use their coupons. Ulta as well. And of course, amazon, but no coupons there. 

• Like 3

A friend of mine and several of her family members recently came back from the beach with a prickly heat rash caused by using water proof, rather than water resistant sunscreens.  They used a couple of different brands, but the rash was the same on all of them, and it was only where they used water proof options.  It looked like a heat rash, but Benadryl didn't phase it.  She reports that they're all switching to water resistant sunscreens.  I wonder if that could be the problem, rather than a true allergy?  

A friend of mine and several of her family members recently came back from the beach with a prickly heat rash caused by using water proof, rather than water resistant sunscreens.  They used a couple of different brands, but the rash was the same on all of them, and it was only where they used water proof options.  It looked like a heat rash, but Benadryl didn't phase it.  She reports that they're all switching to water resistant sunscreens.  I wonder if that could be the problem, rather than a true allergy?  

The one we used says water resistant, not waterproof. Thanks for the idea though!

I gave DD Benadryl a while ago and haven't noticed much change...then I looked online and realized my memory was faulty about her dose, and she should've had more than I gave her. At bedtime I will give her the appropriate dosage and hopefully that will help her rash! She did start complaining that it itches, poor thing. :(

I'm not sure if I want to put anything new on her before this rash clears up, which means keeping her out of the sunshine until it does. Sigh.

They aren't supposed to label themselves as 'water proof' any longer, because that isn't actually possible. There isn't any sunscreen that is literally waterproof. They may only use the term water resistant. 

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm258416.htm

"Water resistance claims on the product's front label must tell how much time a user can expect to get the declared SPF level of protection while swimming or sweating, based on standard testing. Two times will be permitted on labels: 40 minutes or 80 minutes.

Manufacturers cannot make claims that sunscreens are “waterproof†or “sweatproof†or identify their products as “sunblocks.†  Also, sunscreens cannot claim protection immediately on application (for example, “instant protectionâ€) or protection for more than two hours without reapplication, unless they submit data and get approval from FDA."

So, if you are looking into that aspect keep it to the 40 min water resistant instead of the 80 mins. But you will have to reapply more often.

I have very sensitive skin and chemicals/perfumes bother me. I've been very happy with the Alba unscented (green tube) which is a physical sunscreen. Trader Joe's also has one that works for me and isn't too expensive (can't honestly remember if these are zinc oxide or titanium oxide, but they are both one or the other!)

Edited by Ali in OR

Agreeing with others about the active ingredient probably being the problem. We also use Neutrogena Pure and Free Baby. We use the lotion with the pink lid. Its active ingredients are titanium dioxide and zinc oxide. It's easy to find at any local B&M store that carries sunscreen. My DS used to get a red rash on his face anytime we used a different sunscreen. I finally figured out it was because the others were chemical sunscreens. This one doesn't bother him at all. It offers good protection (we haven't gotten burned yet using it for 2 summers), and isn't *too* hard to spread.

Edited by mmasc

Banana Boat gives rashes to my sensitive-skin kid.  Neutrogena works for him.

(FWIW, I once had a babysitter who was allergic to most sunscreen due to coconut oil that was in it.)

Ergh, a coconut oil allergy is a pain!  I consider myself lucky that I am not allergic to that.

I do much better with the chemical sunscreens. The physical blocks will eventually give me hives.  It is probably a sort of a heat rash, because it is often so thick.  But, I get hives from my own sweat, lol.

If I can find a thinner physical sunscreen it prob wouldn't be a problem. But I bought one that was pretty much the same as a thick waterproof diaper cream. That was just so thick and heavy that even putting it on irritated my skin.  Too much rubbing.

If I can find a thinner physical sunscreen it prob wouldn't be a problem. But I bought one that was pretty much the same as a thick waterproof diaper cream. That was just so thick and heavy that even putting it on irritated my skin.  Too much rubbing.

FWIW, I happen to have an old tube of Neutrogena sunscreen for face that's from last year that I never got around to using and almost threw out (and for all I know, may not be sufficiently active).  I couldn't find the regular one the other day so I grabbed the face one and put it all over the kids.  Interestingly, it turns out that it's thinner-spreading than the regular one - the application process was much quicker.  I have my doubts about it staying on in a good deal of swimming, and I haven't really put it to the test yet, but it didn't seem to cause any rashes.

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 1

Neutrogena Pure and Free Baby worked well for us, but Alba is easier to rub in.

One last thought--my last rash took about a week to clear fully. I took strong antihistamines for a few days to help with the itching.  I just wanted to give you a heads up so you don't freak out if it takes a while to clear.