Menu

Do you attempt to train house guests? UPDATE - Msg 164

Pegasus

I had no idea closing the lid on the toilet was a must. I've never thought about it. I am pretty sure ours is always open, and I can't say I care. The seat is always down, but the lid is probably always left up. Again, I've never thought about it.

It's one of my pet peeves to find them open........ don't care for the molecules of spray that you can't see but do travel and get on things like toothbrushes and such.

• Like 2

I woke up from a dream this morning that, apparently, was influenced by this thread.  I was at some fancy dinner party and the hostess was putting on airs.  I purposely washed my hands at the kitchen sink to irk her.   :lol:  I am such a rebel.  :D  

• Like 19

:rofl:

Bwa-ha-ha!  This totally made me laugh because MIL is a multi-flusher.  She flushes before, during, and after every trip to the bathroom.(I mean, as far as I've been able to tell.  She flushes enough to keep the toilet running the entire time she's in there, I suspect to cover the noise of actually going.)  I guess she does this at home too, and always has as far as DH remembers.  That would be funny...

My friend's mom would run the shower the whole time.

Good news!  One of my brothers has offered to drive house guest home this weekend.  This helps me SO much because I'm also trying to get my youngest DD ready to leave on Sunday to a week-long writers workshop.

DH has been a champ but his patience started wearing thin today.  Saturday can not come too soon.

• Like 11

I have a house guest for the next 2 weeks. I'm not sure I am going to make it that long. Soon after arriving, she washed her hands in the kitchen and pulled four paper towels off the dispenser, dried her hands and left the paper crumpled on the counter. So, I removed the paper towels, hung a hand towel on their rack, and showed the guest where our trash and recycle receptacles were. Wish me luck.

Haha... I would probably leave the used paper towels where she left them to see if she notices what she has been doing. But I'm passive aggressive like that.

• Like 1

Haha... I would probably leave the used paper towels where she left them to see if she notices what she has been doing. But I'm passive aggressive like that.

They would just pile up and she's ask when they planned to clean. This is clearly a person who has not been socialized to take care of anyone but herself.

• Like 1

She's gone!  My brother showed up right on schedule and picked up house guest. *whew*  The house seems so empty and peaceful.  

DD and I have been scurrying around all day to get her ready for her trip to the writing workshop so the timing was perfect.

My sincere thanks to everyone here.  This thread really did help me cope. Instead of getting upset at anything house guest did, I instead though, wow, now I have something else to post on the thread.   :laugh:

• Like 35

I think you owe your brother a nice dinner or something. Just make sure you get new butter and restock the paper towels.

DH said the exact same thing, about buying brother a nice dinner.  

Yep, going grocery shopping tomorrow: paper towels, butter, nuts.  

Thanks everyone!  Love the t-shirt idea.  I could make it even more subtle:  Live casually.

• Like 8

It's one of my pet peeves to find them open........ don't care for the molecules of spray that you can't see but do travel and get on things like toothbrushes and such.

We don't close the toilet lid, but it grosses me out to think that anyone would ever store their toothbrush out in the open. Toothbrushes on shelves above the toilet, toothbrushes sitting next to the sink...ew! 

• Like 1

We don't close the toilet lid, but it grosses me out to think that anyone would ever store their toothbrush out in the open. Toothbrushes on shelves above the toilet, toothbrushes sitting next to the sink...ew! 

I couldn't get them to dry well when we put them in the medicine cabinet so they are on top of the sink in cups but we absolutely close the toilet lids before flushing. Every single time. Fixed the boys forgetting by making them buy new toothbrushes when they forgot.

I wonder if the people who don't wash hands in the kitchen sink all have nearby powder rooms or mudrooms or laundry room sinks?  

I have none-of-the-above, so if we're painting at the kitchen table, not only do paint-y hands get washed there but also brushes and paint trays.

My eat-in kitchen opens to our back yard, so if someone comes in with muddy hands, they go to the kitchen sink (I'd actually prefer it to kiddos walking through the living room and hallway to get to the hall bathroom!)

I can only dream of a house with so many sinks.  I have two sinks in my entire house - the one in the kitchen on the main floor and the one in the bathroom on the second floor.  I cannot imagine going upstairs every time someone wanted to wash their hands.  

Conversations like this make me feel like my beautiful, small, 1921 house and simple lifestyle are inadequate. I wonder how many things I do are considered wrong or off putting. 

• Like 1

My mom is the Laundry Queen for four households - hers, mine, my aunt's, and the old ladies (my grandmother and her four siblings).  Mom picks up and delivers. She uses collapsible laundry baskets, and let's just say she keeps the Container Store in business because she replaces them regularly due to wear and tear. They are made of mesh and wire and aren't the sturdiest, but they're easiest to store and transport.

<snip>

:lol: I bet my mom and elfqueen would have a lot to talk and to share!

I want to come live with your family for a while.  For many reasons.

• Like 1

I can only dream of a house with so many sinks. I have two sinks in my entire house - the one in the kitchen on the main floor and the one in the bathroom on the second floor. I cannot imagine going upstairs every time someone wanted to wash their hands.

Conversations like this make me feel like my beautiful, small, 1921 house and simple lifestyle are inadequate. I wonder how many things I do are considered wrong or off putting.

Don't feel inadequate! I have 8 sinks in my house (kitchen, laundry, double in master, pwd room, guest bath, and 2 in kids jack and Jill.) Everyone still washes their hands in the kitchen sink. And when it come to cleaning all those sinks, I think I have 6 too many. Simple is wonderful!

• Like 3

This was actually one of the exceedingly few things I asked my partner to change when we moved in. Toothbrushes go inside a cabinet. Just seriously.

Though, I was not raised that way. I think we had the Internet for a full year before we came across that gem in like 1995. Horrified, we changed our habits immediately.

• Like 2

I had no idea closing the lid on the toilet was a must. I've never thought about it. I am pretty sure ours is always open, and I can't say I care. The seat is always down, but the lid is probably always left up. Again, I've never thought about it.

I always keep the lid closed on my toilet. I just don't like the look of it all open to the world, lol. Also, open lids would invite random objects to fall in, or babies or pets to play in.  Eeuu.

• Like 1

I openly say really untactful things, ie Good Gravy that's a lotta paper towels, I'll have to go to Costco if you keep that up ! Or go eww gross and change the contaminated towel right after the mouth is wiped on it.  I will laugh about it with good humor but get my point across. 

I will also march out of the bathroom hollering wipe the seat, lid down !!!  audible to everyone in the house.  And that's after the lecture they get before they use the potty - flush the dooky down before any tp goes in, unless you like to plunge, because I don't. 

Awesome. :-)