Menu

Muhammad Ali

Lady Florida.

RIP

I'm old enough to remember The Thrilla in Manila. 

As a matter of fact...

I'm old enough to remember Cassius Clay.

I got teary-eyed when he lit the torch in Atlanta in 1996.

http://www.npr.org/2016/06/04/171025748/boxer-muhammad-ali-the-greatest-of-all-time-dies-at-74

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 9

My dh's grandfather was a boxer as a young man. He admired Muhammad Ali greatly. When he was dying of leukemia and hospitalized a friend of his saw Muhammad Ali in Chicago in 1969. The friend approached Ali and asked if he would visit an elderly dying man in the hospital. Not knowing dh's grandfather at all Muhammad Ali visited. It was a huge comfort to the whole family.

Edited by Diana P.
  • Like 13

I think sometimes we forget how controversial he was back in the day.

Among other things, he refused to be inducted into the armed forces when he was drafted and his request for conscientious objector status was rejected.  (Wiki of the resulting court case here.)

“I ain’t draft dodging. I ain’t burning no flag. I ain’t running to Canada. I’m staying right here. You want to send me to jail? Fine, you go right ahead. I’ve been in jail for 400 years. I could be there for 4 or 5 more, but I ain’t going no 10,000 miles to help murder and kill other poor people. If I want to die, I’ll die right here, right now, fightin’ you, if I want to die. You my enemy, not no Chinese, no Vietcong, no Japanese. You my opposer when I want freedom. You my opposer when I want justice. You my opposer when I want equality. Want me to go somewhere and fight for you? You won’t even stand up for me right here in America, for my rights and my religious beliefs. You won’t even stand up for my rights here at home.â€

• Like 5

Among other things, he refused to be inducted into the armed forces when he was drafted and his request for conscientious objector status was rejected. (Wiki of the resulting court case here.)

“I ain’t draft dodging. I ain’t burning no flag. I ain’t running to Canada. I’m staying right here. You want to send me to jail? Fine, you go right ahead. I’ve been in jail for 400 years. I could be there for 4 or 5 more, but I ain’t going no 10,000 miles to help murder and kill other poor people. If I want to die, I’ll die right here, right now, fightin’ you, if I want to die. You my enemy, not no Chinese, no Vietcong, no Japanese. You my opposer when I want freedom. You my opposer when I want justice. You my opposer when I want equality. Want me to go somewhere and fight for you? You won’t even stand up for me right here in America, for my rights and my religious beliefs. You won’t even stand up for my rights here at home.â€

This definitely depends on your age. At the time of dh's grandfather's death (1969) one might not have thought Muhammad Ali would visit a white man he didn't know.

Muhammad Ali stood up for his beliefs. He lost 3 years in the prime of his career for doing so.

That said there are many on this board who were born past the 1980s who probably do not have a strong idea of who he was and how he effected the world beyond boxing.

Edited by Diana P.
  • Like 2

Our family knew him personally; we were members of the same organization. He was quite an amazing person, very patient with kids and all the strangers who would ask for photos or autographs, or even punch him in the shoulders or chest, out of the blue. I would sit on his lap and eat lunch when I was a kid!

He did have some crazy ideas, but he was blustery so it was hard to tell sometimes what he really believed. His athletic skill was beyond compare. His shuffle was one of my favorite things and he would do it over and over ("Do it again! Again!") for the kids and adults alike.

Edited by idnib
  • Like 7

Among other things, he refused to be inducted into the armed forces when he was drafted and his request for conscientious objector status was rejected.  

I remember. As I said in my OP I remember when he was Cassius Clay. I still have a soft spot for him. 

• Like 2

Among other things, he refused to be inducted into the armed forces when he was drafted and his request for conscientious objector status was rejected.  (Wiki of the resulting court case here.)

I'm a huge fan of his, because he backed his principles with true courage.  I have told my kids about this also.  I told them how M.A. said "no Vietcong never called me N---" and I'm pretty sure it's the first time they have heard the N word, certainly in my house.  I don't know if they will really ever understand how historical a moment that was.

I loved the way he always said he was "pretty" (he was!) and really worked for black people to be proud of who they are.

He was so charismatic and witty and talented.  And, he was dyslexic, which hits close to home in my family also.

Of course I don't agree with him on everything - he isn't God - but at the moment I can't think of any human I admire more.

• Like 4

You guys probably won't believe me, but my dad was one of the doctors who helped deliver one of his children.  I can't remember which one now, it was probably early 70s.  We lived in Michigan at the time.  Mohammad Ali was upset because his wife was in so much pain so he was demanding a C-section.  It wasn't necessary (I was told) but they prepped for surgery anyway.  The baby was born before they got to the ER.

• Like 3

You guys probably won't believe me, but my dad was one of the doctors who helped deliver one of his children.  I can't remember which one now, it was probably early 70s.  We lived in Michigan at the time.  Mohammad Ali was upset because his wife was in so much pain so he was demanding a C-section.  It wasn't necessary (I was told) but they prepped for surgery anyway.  The baby was born before they got to the ER.

Of course we believe you LOL.

That's neat! And how sweet the BOXER worried about his wife in too much pain <3

Of course we believe you LOL.

That's neat! And how sweet the BOXER worried about his wife in too much pain <3

And how nervous must that doctor have been, to have that man standing over his shoulder!!!!

Ali was not a perfect man. He in his younger years made bold, rash statements that I'm sure he lived to regret. But really, I have a hard time judging someone for the passion of youth. 

And he was right about many of those things. RIP

• Like 2

I think he was great, and very smart (more so when he was younger, obviously, before the boxing started to get to his brain).  It seems super controversial now, but he spoke simply and directly and from the heart, and expressed his beliefs (even if you disagreed with him) in a really reasonable manner.

This is one on interracial marriage: 

I just learned of this quote from him:

“Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.â€

So much more to the man than I ever knew....

• Like 1

This is going to sound weird, but when I saw he died, I thought, "now people will start talking about how important his life was."  I wish that would happen more often when influential people are still living.

When I heard he wasn't doing well, I said a prayer that he would make it to Ramadan (which started tonight at sunset.)  I hope he is laid to rest peacefully and that there is no family drama after. 

I was born in the late 60s, so I always knew him as Mohammed Ali.  I don't think I appreciated all he had done (and given up) until I was older.

The Muslim Orgs throughout the country are all writing about him, laying claim to him as "one of us", and yet there is still such a problem with racism against African-American Muslims in many mosques.   Sigh.

I wish him peace and may God grant him the highest levels of heaven.

• Like 2

I do not remember the hero part. I just remember the draft dodging part.

Watch a little of the fight with Williams in this link: http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2016/06/the_eccentric_genius_of_muhammad_ali_s_boxing_style.html

He's 25 here and the champion and at the peak of his abilities.

He's the champ. He also has an Olympic Gold metal . He is also famous , as famous as any athlete you could watch today. He never would have seen combat (unless he demanded it). No way. He'd be much more valuable to the army going on tour to boost morale. This is what happened with Joe Lewis in WWII. It is an honorable way to serve really. So Ali wasn't avoiding Vietnam to save himself from risk. It was a principle stance. And he accepted the cost which is losing his peak years in the ring. Sure it's ironic that a boxer is against violence - but - that doesn't make it less admirable.

But it's hard to watch the fights. I admire his shuffle- it is a thing of beauty - but - it's brutal, especially now we know what it cost him (and presumably his opponents too). Also, I don't know much about boxing, but man that ref should have stopped that fight easier.

Edited by poppy

I don't think it is dodging if you don't run away. It's civil disobedience. He paid the price for that belief. 

Exactly. He didn't run, and said he wasn't running to Canada (and he had more means to re-establish himself in Canada than most). He served the jail time -- time has proven him to be on the right side of history on that one. 

• Like 4