Menu

I still haven't found what I am looking for ...

luckymom

Writing.  It's killing us over here.

We want something like Winning With Writing - clean pages, simple instructions, worksheet style, but,

with a lot more step-by-step instructions; from how to write one decent sentence to how to write a solid paragraph.  We need lots of examples and lots of ideas.  

It needs to do a great job with:  How to find the MAIN IDEA or How to write a Topic Sentence that makes sense. 

Is there a writing program like this?

I saw your thread title and started singing the U2 song of the same title...

I agree that looking into Evan-Moor's 6 traits, and their "daily" books might be what you're looking for.

For skill building in finding the main idea you could just pick out sentences and work on it together. Also, have you looked at Treasured Conversations? It's a different approach, but it might be worth approaching these things from a different angle.

• Like 10

I'm also singing, "I finally found the love of a lifetime....a love to last my whooooole life throoooo--oooo." Anyone care to join me?

I don't know very many people who know this song, but I do love it!  I'll sing along in spirit.

And I was singing U2 in my head also.

OP, I would look at Treasured Conversations.  I have used it this year with my son who is just finishing up fifth grade, and while it's a little easy for him, it's been really good to teach him how to break a paragraph down into sentences.

• Like 1

I was going to say Evan-Moore 6-trait writing as well.  We haven't actually used it, but it's on my list to possibly try out for next year and I've looked through the books.  Seems pretty incremental and appears to loop through the same topics with increasing difficulty year after year.  There's a (very) short teacher-directed lesson that goes with each worksheet and then a "writing prompt" based on the week's 4 worksheets for the 5th day.

And now I need to go look up this song that everyone but me seems to know!

I'm right there with you. I'm SO tired of trying bits and pieces of lots of different things. I just want something incremental, complete and lesson 1, lesson 2, lesson 3, etc. I took a good look at 6-trait after reading this thread. What do you think of it? I think I like the looks of it. 

I also plan to use 6-trait writing for a struggling writer. He knows how to put thoughts to paper, but they are a mess. Evan-Moor also has a book called Writing Fabulous Sentences and Paragraphs. It starts with sentences, goes to topics/main ideas, and builds from there. It's for grades 4-6. Here's a link: http://www.evan-moor.com/p/549/writing-fabulous-sentences--paragraphs .

I don't know if that's what you are looking for, it does go over several different types of writing (descriptive, narrative persuasive, etc). Maybe that would give a jumping off point for another writing curriculum?

Well, I was singing too when I wrote that title!  That's where my mind went following another frustrating writing lesson.  So glad to have a sing-along with other U2WTM-fans.

Thank you for all of the suggestions.  I am off to look them up.  

• Like 1

I have nothing meaningful for the OP, but DS came home from public school K today singing

"We are first graders, my friends

And we'll keep on learning 

'til the end.

We are first graders,

we are first graders,

Bye Kindergarten, 'cuz we are first graders....of the wooorrrlld."

Now I have Queen and U2 stuck in my head!

• Like 2

I have nothing meaningful for the OP, but DS came home from public school K today singing

"We are first graders, my friends

And we'll keep on learning 

'til the end.

We are first graders,

we are first graders,

Bye Kindergarten, 'cuz we are first graders....of the wooorrrlld."

Now I have Queen and U2 stuck in my head!

Haha! My dd6 had that same song at the end of K last year!!

• Like 1