Menu

Exercise pants that aren't tights?

Janie Grace

I want comfortable exercise pants that aren't tights. I don't mind snug on the bum but I want them to be more like pants than tights. I don't know what to look up. When I put "exercise pants" into the search bar on Amazon, all I get are tights. What do you call non-tights that are good for walking/running in?

I see this kind of pant everywhere (walmart, target, kohls, etc).

Champion Women's Jersey Pocket Pant, Black, Medium https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019F9BPY6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_sANdxbY7E7GTF

I have some very similar to these, but they don't have the elastic at the ankle. I'm tall and the elastic ankles highlights the fact that all women's exercise pants are too short for me. 

Nike makes my favorite.  I don't like "track pants" because of the swishing sound they make when I walk/run!  lol  http://www.jcpenney.com/nike-legend-dfc-classic-pants/prod.jump?ppId=pp5006020474 There are a few other styles, too.  I know they are expensive (to me!) but I wait for sales, coupons, etc. and I've never found any I like as well.  JCP and I think Kohl's have their own brands of workout gear that are worth checking as well.

I haven't seen anyone workout in tights since Jane Fonda.

Yoga pants?

Yes...tights have feet. They're like thick pantyhose & generally not worn alone. 

Leggings are thicker fabric and have no feet. They can be full length or cropped.  (I'm Team "Leggings are Pants!" but there is controversy :p ) 

Yoga pants can be skinny, boot cut, or flared. 

• Like 3

I have some very similar to these, but they don't have the elastic at the ankle. I'm tall and the elastic ankles highlights the fact that all women's exercise pants are too short for me. 

Lucy makes their pants in tall.  I have a very tall friend who wears them.  I do as well, but I'm only 5'5".  They are expensive, but they last forever, and I mean that they last through literally years of regular wear.

Yes...tights have feet. They're like thick pantyhose & generally not worn alone. 

Leggings are thicker fabric and have no feet. They can be full length or cropped.  (I'm Team "Leggings are Pants!" but there is controversy :p ) 

Yoga pants can be skinny, boot cut, or flared. 

My daughter called her exercise leggings "running tights." No feet, but they are tights around here. 

ETA: Just saw that Athleta calls them tights too... http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=1023736&vid=1&pid=153850012

Edited by Janie Grace
  • Like 1

I bought some pants like this from Target a few years ago.  They are woven, but have a little stretch.  I think they were advertised as Zumba pants or something.  I like that I can wear then as capri pants - they are just a little nicer than yoga pants, and I can exercise in them.  I probably wouldn't run in them, but I have hiked in them.  Very comfortable and cute!  I think I need a new pair!!

http://www.target.com/p/c9-champion-women-s-woven-pant/-/A-50099716#prodSlot=_2_28

ps - We call exercise pants "tights", too.  My daughter asked me to find some of her "tights" for track this morning, and I knew just what she meant - exercise pants that are very tight, not tights for under a dress...