Menu

ACT today--extra math section?

Two of my dc took the ACT today.  They just called me and said there was an extra math section.  Anyone know what this is?   She said it was at the end.  Not just additional questions on the math part, but an entirely different section.  She has taken it several times, and said the rest of the test was the same as it's been being. She said the proctor said this section wouldn't count toward the score, it was just some sort of "survey". 

I hadn't read or heard anything about it, so was just wondering what it was.

From page 9 the booklet, Preparing for ACT 2015/2016:

On some test dates, ACT tries out questions to develop future versions of the tests. You may be asked to take a fifth test, the results of which will not be reflected in your reported scores. The fifth test could be multiple- choice or one for which you will create your own answers. Please try your best on these questions, because your participation can help shape the future of the ACT.

yep. we had 5th test.

• Like 3

My daughter did not have the extra section, but did have the writing portion.  She finished almost an hour before I thought she would.  She was tired and happy she didn't have the 5th section.  

From page 9 the booklet, Preparing for ACT 2015/2016:

On some test dates, ACT tries out questions to develop future versions of the tests. You may be asked to take a fifth test, the results of which will not be reflected in your reported scores. The fifth test could be multiple- choice or one for which you will create your own answers. Please try your best on these questions, because your participation can help shape the future of the ACT.

yep. we had 5th test.

Ah. Dd said the extra section was very difficult....but she also said that could have been because she was already brain dead from the actual test.

After she got home, she said her friend, who took it at the same place, got history readings for her extra section.

Interesting.

Yeah, it threw my kid for a loop because of the extra time accommodation. My kid thought they needed to budget for a 5th test during the testing, not realizing it was an extra section. They didn't have my child take it, so my kid was a little surprised when that was the end of the test because he could see thirty more questions. We have talked about the format of the test, but apparently none of that was recalled. Learning experience for the next 'round is what I told him. 

• Like 2

Yeah, it threw my kid for a loop because of the extra time accommodation. My kid thought they needed to budget for a 5th test during the testing, not realizing it was an extra section. They didn't have my child take it, so my kid was a little surprised when that was the end of the test because he could see thirty more questions. We have talked about the format of the test, but apparently none of that was recalled. Learning experience for the next 'round is what I told him. 

I think that's unfair for a student with accommodations. They should either make it clear that they don't have to budget for that section, or not include it for kids in extended time. Kids have enough to remember on test day without having curve balls thrown their way!

• Like 3

Yeah, my dd had English. She came out upset--"Mom, did you know there were FIVE tests? I was freaking out because I knew I only studied for four!" Poor girl! They didn't tell the kids at our testing center that the scores didn't count, just had them turn to the page and take it. That would have been nice info for them to have. Thankfully I knew or I would have been surprised too. 

• Like 1

This seems grossly unfair to me.  The students should know in advance.

My son has not yet taken the ACT, but he's preparing for it, and I didn't even know such a scenario was possible.  Do the students just have to stay for extra time, while parents and/or rides wait?  My son will not yet be driving when he takes the test.

• Like 1

My son has not yet taken the ACT, but he's preparing for it, and I didn't even know such a scenario was possible.  Do the students just have to stay for extra time, while parents and/or rides wait?  My son will not yet be driving when he takes the test.

I'm beginning to  think I had the unusual experience.   I get it that some students need to know routine changes ahead of time. My dd is like that. But it wasn't that bad.

The info that some dates will have extra test was in the ACT published preparing for the ACT test.   So we knew such a thing could happen.   I highly recommend accessing that booklet from ACT site or pick up a copy at local library.   Read through it.  It even gives you a sample of answer sheet with the certification you copy and sign.* 

So this doesn't have to be a surprise.   If you are going for June 2016 date, here is a link directly

http://www.act.org/content/dam/act/unsecured/documents/Preparing-for-the-ACT.pdf

(edit:  I don't know when the 2016-2017 is released, or where they'll put in on the new website design. I use google to find this stuff.  This might be the link for all of it.. scroll down on it 

http://www.act.org/content/act/en/products-and-services/the-act/test-preparation.html

Also, we signed up to receive email notifications on test stuff when we registered.  And the email they sent just a day before the test sure seemed to drop the hint that there would be a 5th test on this test date.  We were not surprised by it at all.   It even says in the Prep for ACT guide about what time to expect them.

I had this feeling that they were going to be done 20 minutes ahead of that predicted published time because everyone was in their room before 8 am and no one in the parking lot.   So I went back into the lobby then. 

The extra time was only about 15 minutes from what the sign in people told us (parents) who were in the lobby.  This building set up allowed us to sit in lobby.  Some parents were in the parking lot doing what parents do in parking lots (sitting, waiting for their kids, playing games on phone, etc.)

So, now you're set to prepare yourself and student.   As far as I know, there isn't a list out there where ACT shares which dates have the extra section.  Sections can be math or reading and not all of the tests will have the same number of questions in that 5th section, so don't let the 15 minute thing be an issue. 

Yes, the students who came out all had a glazed look on their faces.  But they texted their parents for rides and waited and all laughed about that whole 5th thing and how tired they were and even said they didn't think the results would help. 

Be encouraged.   I really don't know how I knew that I knew it would have a 5th test, but whatever they said in the email (that I already deleted, sorry) reminded me to remind my dd about that possibility.  I simply told her "do what you can. it doesn't count against.  and if you just fill in letter of the day, that's ok too."

*yes, I even had my daughter do a quick run through to fill in the answer sheet with the info to match exactly on her admission ticket, and to copy the certification and sign.  Read the pdf, that part is around page 11.   No, it doesn't have to be in cursive. It is in your regular handwriting. 

Edited by cbollin
  • Like 1

For most students, I don't think it's unfair. I think for a regular time student, knowing ahead of time might make them more tired etc... I wasn't upset that dd didn't know ahead of time--she gave her all to the 4 main tests, as I would hope. What was upsetting in her case is that the proctor didn't say why there was an extra test or that it wasn't part of the score--so that added unnecessary stress to her day. The proctor just said, "turn to the 5th test." Thankfully it's after the actual test, so I don't think it impacts performance--so that's why I say it's not unfair to most students.

The one I think is unfair is the student who had extended time--those kids have to budget their own time, and they should make the expectations clear in that case. Applegreen's son's experience should never happen, and could easily be avoided.

But yes, I was sitting and waiting, but as far as I knew, the breaks had just taken longer or something. 

Also, we signed up to receive email notifications on test stuff when we registered.  And the email they sent just a day before the test sure seemed to drop the hint that there would be a 5th test on this test date.  

My dd got an email, but I didn't (though I also signed up for the emails). Nothing clued her in though. I really think the proctor could easily clear this up for students though. It's not a huge deal in my mind, but her experience ended on a negative note unnecessarily.

• Like 1

The one I think is unfair is the student who had extended time--those kids have to budget their own time, and they should make the expectations clear in that case. Applegreen's son's experience should never happen, and could easily be avoided.

But yes, I was sitting and waiting, but as far as I knew, the breaks had just taken longer or something.

agreeing that those with extended time should have had better explanations.     

For pick up this time, at least I wasn't sitting and waiting like I had to when oldest dd took the ACT.  oh my.  both times they were about an hour later than we expected due to breaks taking longer and just the beginning stuff.  and some other crazy administrative thing.  She never had the 5th test. Just over crowding issues at location and figuring out which room who was in.  That was long wait in that lobby.  But eventually it was done.  

What time did your student have on their "ticket" to inform parents when they would get out. . .and what time did they actually get released?  DD's ticket estimated 12:15 pm and even with the extra section, she walked out of the building at 12:07.

So, apparently, we should be able to view the results in 2 weeks online but they want to charge $8 for the privilege. Sheesh. I guess we'll be waiting several weeks for the paper results.

dd's ticket said 12:15, but of course the pdf of preparing for ACT said if there's 5th test, add twenty minutes to that (12:35).  I had gut feeling, it was quicker and dd was out of room about same time as pegasus's dd. around 1205-1210 mark.

Where are you seeing about the $8 fee?  I've missed that info.  ??  thanks.   (edit to add link.  from here, it says 0 for fee for viewing online

http://www.act.org/content/act/en/products-and-services/the-act/taking-the-test.html

I'm confused now.

Edited by cbollin
  • Like 1

So I checked when the scores will be ready & they said they start posting them April 19! That seems earlier than ever (and of course, not all will be posted then).

It also says they'll email when the score report is ready. 

What time did your student have on their "ticket" to inform parents when they would get out. . .and what time did they actually get released?  DD's ticket estimated 12:15 pm and even with the extra section, she walked out of the building at 12:07.

So, apparently, we should be able to view the results in 2 weeks online but they want to charge $8 for the privilege. Sheesh. I guess we'll be waiting several weeks for the paper results.

I forgot to check it before my dd went in, but her's said 12:15 and it was about 12:30 when she got out. 

I didn't see anything on the ACT page where you have to pay $8 for seeing scores online. It wasn't that way when my ds took it. Maybe you were looking at some other report?

Edited by MerryAtHope
  • Like 1

Oh, looks like I got the $8 info from a different website (not official ACT)!  Thanks for setting me straight. I wonder why this website is saying $8 to view the score online:

http://www.testmasters.com/act/faq

7. How long does it take to get my scores back?

Your scores will be available online for early viewing about 2 weeks after the test date. There is an $8.00 viewing fee. 

On the site Pegasus mentioned, it appears there is other outdated or not accurate information.    They haven't updated to include current price.  also, you can only take the ACT  twelve times, not "as often as you like".  

I can give them a break on not yet changing the SAT comparison chart as that just changed in March of this year.  :)

Even in 2012-13 academic year, I didn't have to pay to view scores online of my oldest.  

And,   just got reminder this morning that I still have time to have reports sent to college from the test we took this weekend.  yeah.  When we registered, we didn't even have things in mind, so this will be good to think about and get done by that deadline.   so there's still time on that if anyone else in our situation.

I didn't realize until this morning, but my daughter's scores will be available in 5 to 8 weeks since she took the optional writing section.  Oh well.  Patience is a virtue.

They will post the scores sooner, just without the writing. So you should be able to see the Reading, Math, Science and English scores when everyone else does.

• Like 1

Do kids who do the writing test potentially have a fifth test? If so, is it after the writing test? It seems like having an extra test and then the writing would make it much harder for kids who are already exhausted to do the essay.

I actually, in high school, got to be part of the norming group for the first revision of the SAT to include the grid in type response instead of straight multiple choice. That was fun :)

Do kids who do the writing test potentially have a fifth test? If so, is it after the writing test? It seems like having an extra test and then the writing would make it much harder for kids who are already exhausted to do the essay.

I actually, in high school, got to be part of the norming group for the first revision of the SAT to include the grid in type response instead of straight multiple choice. That was fun :)

Dd said she perceived the essay-takers to be definitely separated from the extra-test-takers due to time constraints.

After reading some of the other posts I have the impression they did a better job explaining things at her test site than others did -- it was her first time, we'd never heard of extra tests, but she seemed to think it was interesting and not a huge deal.

FWIW, ACT doesn't even send out paper results anymore. You can print the score report PDF online once the scores are released (at no charge). 😊

I think this changed just this school year. Pretty sure dd#1 received in-mail results the very first time she tested, which was April 2015.

• Like 2

FWIW, ACT doesn't even send out paper results anymore. You can print the score report PDF online once the scores are released (at no charge). 😊

I think this changed just this school year. Pretty sure dd#1 received in-mail results the very first time she tested, which was April 2015.

Thank you for this; it is news to me. That should make it simple to send scores wherever we want in the future without having to pay the extra fees to ACT.  Or would schools still want it straight from the source?  

I was not happy when I had to forward my older DD's ACT score to potential transfer schools. I expected a charge to send the scores but since it had been over 3 years since she took the exam, they padded the fees with an "archived score" charge (times 2 since we were sending it to 2 schools).

Thank you for this; it is news to me. That should make it simple to send scores wherever we want in the future without having to pay the extra fees to ACT.  Or would schools still want it straight from the source?  

I was not happy when I had to forward my older DD's ACT score to potential transfer schools. I expected a charge to send the scores but since it had been over 3 years since she took the exam, they padded the fees with an "archived score" charge (times 2 since we were sending it to 2 schools).

We did not get a paper score in 2012.  We had to print our own scores from online.   The college received their copy electronically as well.

Some colleges will not require ACT for transfer students who have minimum number of college credits or are over a certain age since the score was more than the 3 years ago.  sorry that was not the case for you.  bummer to hear.

I'm thinking the colleges will want it straight from the source. But it's always possible a specific college would be ok with copy of student report. The reports sent look different from what students can see.   I printed a copy in our home files.  The cover school got theirs electronically.   For Honor Society, copy of student copy was enough.  But for college, they wanted it from ACT.

What I can't remember is how it was handled for Hope scholarship in the state where you and I live. I don't think we paid for that.  But don't remember what we did do.

• Like 1

My son took it on the 9th with accommodations. I just asked him about another section, and he said his proctor mentioned the extra section, but told them not to do it unless they really wanted to. My son had his five hours precisely allocated and that would have thrown everything off. I had no idea it was even a thing, so I'm glad the proctor made it clear it wasn't necessary.

• Like 2

Thank you for this; it is news to me. That should make it simple to send scores wherever we want in the future without having to pay the extra fees to ACT. Or would schools still want it straight from the source?

The schools will want the scores straight from the source. It does add up. $$ Especially if, like us, you have to send more than one score (dd applied with one set of test scores, and the next set came in after applications. Since that score was higher, we had to send the batch of schools her new score).

When your student takes the exam, they can list 4 (or 5?) schools for ACT to automatically send the score with no additional charge. You have to list these schools *and* request the scores be sent BEFORE the test scores are available to see.

Some schools (and some scholarships) requested an informal screenshot or a PDF of the score as an "unofficial" validation - but once dd was through the first round (for scholarships), or had been preliminarily accepted, they all then asked that she send her scores directly from ACT.

Hths! :)

Edited by hopskipjump
  • Like 1

My son took it on the 9th with accommodations. I just asked him about another section, and he said his proctor mentioned the extra section, but told them not to do it unless they really wanted to. My son had his five hours precisely allocated and that would have thrown everything off. I had no idea it was even a thing, so I'm glad the proctor made it clear it wasn't necessary.

I wish there was more consistency with the proctors. My child felt like it was not clear until the end of the test that he didn't need to do that section. At that point it was too late. I think it only ended being 30-40 minutes not used, but he did cut short time on the reading section because of that pesky last test that he thought he needed to budget time for the extra section. 

Ahh well, it's too late now. We'll see where the chips fall. 

I wish there was more consistency with the proctors. My child felt like it was not clear until the end of the test that he didn't need to do that section. At that point it was too late. I think it only ended being 30-40 minutes not used, but he did cut short time on the reading section because of that pesky last test that he thought he needed to budget time for the extra section.

Ahh well, it's too late now. We'll see where the chips fall.

Ugh. Yes, I agree there should be consistency, especially given how high the stakes are.

I called the school before the testing date just to ask some questions, and the coordinator was quick to assure me that the proctor had been proctoring accommodations at that school for years. (I hadn't even asked!) It's one of the richest school districts in our area, and even though it isn't fair, I think all those highly involved parents scrutinizing every move can make a difference.

I hope your son gets the score he is hoping for. At least if he takes it again, he'll know.

We did not get a paper score in 2012.  We had to print our own scores from online.   The college received their copy electronically as well.

Some colleges will not require ACT for transfer students who have minimum number of college credits or are over a certain age since the score was more than the 3 years ago.  sorry that was not the case for you.  bummer to hear.

I'm thinking the colleges will want it straight from the source. But it's always possible a specific college would be ok with copy of student report. The reports sent look different from what students can see.   I printed a copy in our home files.  The cover school got theirs electronically.   For Honor Society, copy of student copy was enough.  But for college, they wanted it from ACT.

What I can't remember is how it was handled for Hope scholarship in the state where you and I live. I don't think we paid for that.  But don't remember what we did do.

That's strange that you didn't get a paper score in 2012. I just double-checked and my older DD took the ACT in Sept 2012.  We definitely got a paper score mailed to us.

I can't remember now if the transfer schools wanted the ACT score for admissions or for consideration of scholarships. It may have been the latter.

We don't have to do anything special for Hope, besides submitting the FAFSA, since the schools determine eligibility and they already have the ACT score.

When your student takes the exam, they can list 4 (or 5?) schools for ACT to automatically send the score with no additional charge. You have to list these schools *and* request the scores be sent BEFORE the test scores are available to see.

I don't mean to dominate this thread with multiple posts but, again, thanks for this information. I'll have DD login today to be sure she included the most likely schools.  It may save us a few dollars in future fees!

in 2012 maybe our paper copies were sent to cover school. We didn't use homeschool code.  maybe that's the difference???  

and if she didn't include those schools, the deadlines to include them for free was yesterday.  I hope you got that email on Monday morning from ACT.   We got it in both the emails for student and parent.

Thank you for registering for the APRIL 2016 NATIONAL ACT test. There is still time for you to list up to 4 colleges and scholarship agencies to receive your scores at no additional charge.
The deadline to add colleges, make changes, or cancel reports to colleges and scholarship agencies is 12 noon, central time, on the THURSDAY immediately following the regularly scheduled Saturday test date.  Requests for changes or cancellations after this deadline cannot be honored, and you will have to pay additional fees to add score recipients after the deadline.

I would have said something sooner on this thread, but I figured everyone got that email on Monday and knew it.

and if she didn't include those schools, the deadlines to include them for free was yesterday.  I hope you got that email on Monday morning from ACT.   We got it in both the emails for student and parent.

Interesting. I did get the Friday email reminder about the exam but nothing on Monday. I even checked my Junk and Deleted folders.  No matter, though, we were apparently on the ball when DD registered. We just checked online and confirmed that all her potential schools are already included. Maybe we already has the max number of free score reports so no need to send email that we could add more schools?

Edited by Pegasus

Interesting. I did get the Friday email reminder about the exam but nothing on Monday. I even checked my Junk and Deleted folders.  No matter, though, we were apparently on the ball when DD registered. We just checked online and confirmed that all her potential schools are already included. Maybe we already has the max number of free score reports so no need to send email that we could add more schools?

bingo.  that would make sense.  If you already had those listed, no need to send the email I got on Monday.  We still don't have even a clue where to consider sending scores, so I'll pay the fee later.