Menu

Amazon and Stolen Credit Cards?

norus

Has anyone else had problems with ordering from Amazon and your credit card # getting

stolen?  Whenever I order from Amazon my credit card # gets stolen.  I am a prime member.

This has happened to me 3 times.  A year ago, I ordered used school books from Amazon and my credit

card was stolen.  I had to do a chargeback, cancel my card and get a new one.  I set up my account

so I would know if it was from them.  I ordered again 6 months ago.  It happened again.  I stopped

ordering from them.  Last week I decided to try again.  I placed an order that was filled by amazon.

Today I see a charge on my credit card I didn't make.  Now,  I have to cancel my card again and get

a new one.

How do you place orders?  Do you use prepaid credit cards? 

• Like 1

I've been ordering from them for over a decade, never had Amazon orders linked to a stolen credit card.

I have had card numbers stolen a few times, but it could have been from anywhere--gas station, whatever. I think the Amazon thing may just be coincidence in your case.

I am sorry you had your number stolen though, that is always stressful.

• Like 6

How frustrating! I've not had this problem with Amazon, but I have with other companies. I believe there is a way to use a temporary number that charges to your credit card account, so your actual account number isn't used. I don't know how to do it, but I think I've seen it on the Amazon site.

We have been ordering extensively from amazon since amazon started and had an issue only one single time in a decade when somebody used our card number to order stuff from amazon and ship it to *us* for some bizarre reason.

That does not mean that the number was compromised at amazon - it could have been any number of locations and businesses.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 4

Never.

We own a business and have several employees that have cards. My dh has to cancel a card on average once a week because the number was stolen (fwiw, none of those are used for Amazon). It's really a problem everywhere.

It is very easy to use gift cards on Amazon. I input the card as a payment and then send myself an Amazon gift card in whatever amount I want.

• Like 3

Has anyone else had problems with ordering from Amazon and your credit card # getting

stolen? Whenever I order from Amazon my credit card # gets stolen. I am a prime member.

This has happened to me 3 times. A year ago, I ordered used school books from Amazon and my credit

card was stolen. I had to do a chargeback, cancel my card and get a new one. I set up my account

so I would know if it was from them. I ordered again 6 months ago. It happened again. I stopped

ordering from them. Last week I decided to try again. I placed an order that was filled by amazon.

Today I see a charge on my credit card I didn't make. Now, I have to cancel my card again and get

a new one.

How do you place orders? Do you use prepaid credit cards?

I would check to see if you have a hidden virus on your computer. You may have accidentally download a virus that is hidden and is not detected in the basic virus program. Certain key strokes activate it.

We have ordered from Amazon for over a decade and never an issue.

• Like 13

I use Amazon often, and have for years and years. Never had a problem linked to Amazon.

I have had a few issues, but was always able to pinpoint the problem - twice it was a particular personalization store online, where one can order personalized gifts. The others were gas stations.

I never use a card linked to a bank account, and only use a card with excellent fraud protection for online transactions.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 1

Thank you for your suggestions.  I too have ordered from Amazon for years.  It has only

been this past year that I have had problems.  I know it is Amazon because when this started

happening I put my name a certain way on my amazon account. When I called the company

that my credit card was used on, it was that name. 

Thanks for the virus tip.  I will definitely look into that.  I like the gift card idea.

I've never had a cc# stolen when using amazon.  I do ALOT of ordering from amazon (for years), usually amazon/fulfilled by amazon.  occasionally 3rd party.  never had an issue.

have you done a spyware/malware sweep of your computer?

• Like 2

I just received a fraud alert on my credit card and it made me think of this thread. I did order from Amazon last week but using a different card. The card that was stolen, I haven't used in weeks or months. Sometimes there is a delay between a card being compromised and it being found out.

• Like 1

I just found out that our card that was compromised has never been used. It's our back up card and we received new ones in December with the chip. The only activity on the account is a credit from Hilton related to a time share presentation.

Amazon customers for many years. NEVER had a problem such as you describe. Questions: Does your computer have the latest Updates for Security?  Are you using a SECURE network when you connect to Amazon? (eg. the network in your house, and preferably connected by Ethernet cable and not by WiFi). 

Do you have a program that checks for Malware, etc.?  If I assume, your computer has been compromised.  If not, someone has your data.

We just had our credit card number stolen. We haven't been able to trace it back to where yet, but I do order off Amazon. Though I'm sure we've used it other places as well. It is a rarely used card so I'm hoping we can figure out how it was stolen.

Edited by UCF612

Could it be malware in your computer or a malware browser extension that figures out when you have browsed to a shopping site and scrapes the number? Do you shop online much at all? Do you use the same computer?

Amazon has 2-factor authentication available, if someone has your Amazon password that should keep them out.