Menu

Help me eat a high protein diet

plain jane

I need to be eating a fairly high protein diet of 100g of protein per day and I'm having a hard time.  I find the sheer volume of food I have to consume to be very overwhelming and it's not all food I particularly enjoy so most of the time I am just choking it down.  Here's what I have been trying to do (I'm only listing the protein in my day, and not including everything.  I am really trying to make room for the fruit and veggies I need to eat each day):

I know "they" say to eat smaller meals throughout the day but with so much protein per meal, I'm simply not hungry enough.  "snacks" for me have become obligatory "meals" and not because I am actually hungry or want food.

Breakfast:

Either:

2 eggs (12g) and 3 pieces of toast (9g) =  ~20g

4 pieces of toast (12g) and 2 tbspn peanut butter (8g) = ~20g

Lunch:

Grilled cheese sandwich with 20g of protein (I cut according to the package protein amounts) and 2 or 4 pieces of bread

Can of tuna or sardines (30g) 

Smoothie with protein powder (20g) 

Snacks:

1 cup of almonds (33g)

Cheese cut to the amount of 20g (if didn't have grilled cheese sandwich at lunch)

Supper:

Turkey thigh or drumstick (30g) with rice or made into a soup with pasta

Salmon steak (30g) with rice

Steak (30g) with pasta or rice or sometimes potato

I am finding eating to be a drudgery and most days I still can't get to 100g easily.  I've had to eat a can of tuna at 11pm because I realized I didn't get enough protein in for the day.  Eating has become a chore and then I have to make room for fruit and vegetables too.  The smoothie is overwhelming.  I buy the VEGA powder and in order to get the 20g of protein I need to make about 3/4 of a VitaMix of smoothie and the sheer volume of smoothie leaves me full for hours.  Plus, the powder leaves me queasy and not feeling 100%.

I have been dairy free for over 4 years and recently had to add cheese back into my diet in order to meet my protein needs.  I have not added in yogurt.  I do not enjoy yogurt but will eat it if I have to, but I will need a good brand recommendation- something that is not too sweetened but is still palatable to someone who doesn't enjoy yogurt.

I know the HIVE is a great source of wisdom and knowledge so I am confident that there are others here who can help me.  What am I missing that I can be eating?  How do I get 100g of protein in per day and not loathe the thought of food all the time?

ETA:  I do sprinkle chia and hemp seeds on soups or on salads or sometimes will just eat a spoonful to get the extra protein.  It's marginal but every little bit helps, I guess.  I am looking for ideas for foods that will give me lots of protein compared to the volume I have to intake.

Edited by plain jane

I'm not sure what your reason for needing the high protein diet are but for myself when I go high protein I also severely cut carbs.  So for breakfast I would do the two eggs with bacon or sausage and add some veggies to dilute the fat from the meat (I don't have a gallbladder and I have issues with meat fats if I don't have something to "absorb" them).  Toast would totally fill me up and the protein count isn't that high for the volume of food.

Ditto the sandwiches at lunch.  Try a stirfry with meat and veggies.  If you feel you have to have it over something, try quinoa which is pretty high in protein itself.

For snacks, I would personally have things like cold shrimp to snack on or chicken strips, a dish of cottage cheese,  meatballs (because it's easy to heat up 1 or two at a time).  Also I think you will get your protein count in faster if you focus on meats more than cheese.  I think you have to have a much larger portion of cheese than meat and with the extra fat may be filling you up too much.

Other things you could try, so you don't feel like all you are eating it protein.  Add sliced nuts to your salads or cooked veggies.  It won't add a lot but every little bit helps and you might not feel like you are "forcing" protein that way. I've never had any luck with protein powders so I can't help you there. 

• Like 4

I'm not sure what your reason for needing the high protein diet are but for myself when I go high protein I also severely cut carbs.  So for breakfast I would do the two eggs with bacon or sausage and add some veggies to dilute the fat from the meat (I don't have a gallbladder and I have issues with meat fats if I don't have something to "absorb" them).  Toast would totally fill me up and the protein count isn't that high for the volume of food.

Ditto the sandwiches at lunch.  Try a stirfry with meat and veggies.  If you feel you have to have it over something, try quinoa which is pretty high in protein itself.

For snacks, I would personally have things like cold shrimp to snack on or chicken strips, a dish of cottage cheese,  meatballs (because it's easy to heat up 1 or two at a time).  Also I think you will get your protein count in faster if you focus on meats more than cheese.  I think you have to have a much larger portion of cheese than meat and with the extra fat may be filling you up too much.

Other things you could try, so you don't feel like all you are eating it protein.  Add sliced nuts to your salads or cooked veggies.  It won't add a lot but every little bit helps and you might not feel like you are "forcing" protein that way. I've never had any luck with protein powders so I can't help you there. 

Thank you!  I forgot about the chicken strips.  I used to have those for snacks and I will see if I can tolerate cottage cheese.  I tried to convince my husband I needed to eat more lobster but he wasn't buying it.   :laugh:   I didn't think about the fat in the cheese filling me up but I bet you're right.  My only issue with dropping the bread at breakfast is that I can't seem to stomach eggs without it.  I've tried a few times and I always feel a little gross after.   Thank you for the tips and ideas.  They are going on my "food ideas" sheet that I hang in the kitchen to keep me going each day. 

If you want your diet to be 45% protein then eat 45% protein but know that you don't necessarily eat as much as other people so just because Samantha needs 100g of protein doesn't mean you need 100g of protein. If you consume 20% less food than she does than you should eat 80g of protein.

Look into protein powders for smoothies and shakes. They're very light.

Thank you!  I forgot about the chicken strips.  I used to have those for snacks and I will see if I can tolerate cottage cheese.  I tried to convince my husband I needed to eat more lobster but he wasn't buying it.   :laugh:   I didn't think about the fat in the cheese filling me up but I bet you're right.  My only issue with dropping the bread at breakfast is that I can't seem to stomach eggs without it.  I've tried a few times and I always feel a little gross after.   Thank you for the tips and ideas.  They are going on my "food ideas" sheet that I hang in the kitchen to keep me going each day. 

I cannot eggs for breakfast.  I like eggs but if I eat them on an empty stomach I puke.  So I only eat eggs for lunch or supper.  For breakfast I eat leftovers.  Like a small hamburger with a slice of cheese and BBQ sauce, a piece of meat with gravy, lasagne.  I go for high protein without a lot of extras since I don't usually eat a lot for breakfast. 

If you really like eggs perhaps keep some hard boiled eggs on hand.  They could be eaten plain or added to salads or quickly turned into deviled eggs. That would be a good alternatives to the nuts for snacks.

• Like 1

I never liked yogurt in the past, but every since I have discovered Greek yogurt, that is all I eat for breakfast any more.  It has a lot more protein (15 g) than the regular kind.  I like Chobani.  IMO, the black cherry and blueberry flavors are the best.    

Edited by OnMyOwn
  • Like 1

I have been dairy free for over 4 years and recently had to add cheese back into my diet in order to meet my protein needs.  I have not added in yogurt.  I do not enjoy yogurt but will eat it if I have to, but I will need a good brand recommendation- something that is not too sweetened but is still palatable to someone who doesn't enjoy yogurt.

My dd is having some health problems right now and is also no longer dairy free for the same reason.    

We're following the Specific Carbohydrate Diet and the recommendation to use dry curd cottage cheese as a good protein source.  (Whey isn't allowed on this diet, so regular cottage cheese is off limits.)   In order for it to be creamy, you mix the curds with some yogurt.  My dd has to have lactose-free yogurt so I use Green Valley Organics Lactose-Free plain yogurt.  This is very mild tasting yogurt...not sour at all,  so you might like it better than "regular" yogurt.

(I don't know what brands are available in your area, but I buy Sunshine Dairy Dry Curd Cottage Cheese and according to the label 1/2 cup=16 g of protein.) 

Here is a typical day for me, yesterday in fact. I don't have a gram goal, but I do have a percentage goal for protein, fat and carbs:

Breakfast:

2 cups of black coffee blended with:

2 scoops vanilla whey protein powder

1 scoop Great Lakes collagen

Grams of protein: 40

Lunch:

4 oz poached skinless chicken breast

3oz broccoli slaw

1 tbsp salad dressing

protein: 39, plus some from the broccoli

Afternoon:

1 cup black coffee blended with:

1 cup unsweetened almond milk

1 scoop whey powder

Protein: 18

Late Dinner:

3 egg whites

3 pieces of a beef substitute strips I can get in my local wegmans

1 tbsp salsa

Protein: 19

I might have had a pepper jack cheese stick in there somewhere, but I can't remember.

Total: 116

Edited by redsquirrel
  • Like 3

The problem with a high protein diet is it can lead to constipation, especially if you're not used to eating much dairy. Do you need to add some fiber? I eat high protein but also high fiber to balance it out. If I'm not getting enough from vegetables, I add in Bran Flakes and a fiber bar daily. Maybe even a Colace capsule if I really need to. Oh and lots of water to keep things moving too. It will take a little bit for your body to adjust but I've found that feeling of fullness fades.

If you don't want to eat yogurt straight up, I'd use Greek yogurt in your smoothies and reduce the amount of protein powder accordingly. I also drink my smoothie right before bed so I can sleep of any nausea from the protein powder.

I like cottage cheese with peach slices. Makes the cottage cheese palatable. Also experiment with different brands. The flavor varies widely and it was worth it to me to find one that tasted better.

What about beans? I will snack on tortilla chips with a black bean "salsa." Beef fajitas with a side of refried beans. A chili with black, pinto and kidney beans plus ground beef or turkey.

Someone mentioned stirfry. Throw some edamame in it. I will snack on dried chocolate covered edamame from Trader Joes. Yum. Add edamame to your salads, too.

Protein bars!

• Like 1

Example day

Breakfast:

1 egg+2 egg whites

Veggies

Lunch:

6 oz Chicken breast

Broccoli

Dinner:

4 oz roast beef

Carrots

Snack through day:

Smoothie made with 4 oz yogurt

Protein powder ( I use brown rice)

Fruit and other liquid

123 G protein per MFP-add other food as desired. I keep breakfast and the smoothie and change the lunch and dinner meats and vegetables.

I think all the bread is filling you up. Protein bars and drinks can be a help.

Edited by joyofsix
  • Like 2

I agree that all that bread is filling you up. Don't eat the toast with breakfast. Either just eat the peanut butter or put it on celery sticks. Don't have grilled cheese, instead make tuna salad and put it on romaine lettuce leaves or cut a pepper in half and put the tuna salad in there. Skip the rice or potato and have more veggies and a bigger helping of fish or steak etc.

Fill your plate with half to two thirds veggies and the rest with protein. That will push the bread and rice and potato off the plate and get you where you want to be

• Like 1

I agree that all that bread is filling you up. Don't eat the toast with breakfast. Either just eat the peanut butter or put it on celery sticks. Don't have grilled cheese, instead make tuna salad and put it on romaine lettuce leaves or cut a pepper in half and put the tuna salad in there. Skip the rice or potato and have more veggies and a bigger helping of fish or steak etc.

Fill your plate with half to two thirds veggies and the rest with protein. That will push the bread and rice and potato off the plate and get you where you want to be

I agree. Less bread. Nut butter is also great on apple slices. Make egg, tuna, or salmon salad and serve on a bed of lettuce/other veggies. Cottage cheese is high in protein.

These bars are great: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004X2LH9Y/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_a_it?qid=1459622624&sr=8-1&keywords=rise+bars+almond+honey&pi=SY200_QL40

It's definitely tricky; I was on a high protein diet while pregnant and 100 grams is tough!

If the eggs are causing troubles, I'd be tempted to skip them and find something else.  But I would not be eating all that toast!  Canadian bacon has 15 grams of protein per 3 ounces.  Skip a slice of toast and add some yummy meats to your breakfast routine.

One serving of oatmeal is 6 grams of protein, which isn't a ton on it's own. But I would also add some wheat germ (6 grams per ounce) and the peanut butter at 8 grams.

Greek Yogurt is your biggest bang for the buck! With 23 grams of protein per 8 ounces, it's hard to find anything that even compares.  Add it to your smoothies if you can't find a variety/flavor that you like. 

Beef jerky and protein bars are decent snacks.  The Builders Bars have the biggest protein punch.  None of them are particularly tasty, but they are not overly filling, so that can be a help. 

Sliced roast beef from the deli isn't too shabby either.  You could roll up some swiss cheese with some beef slices for a snack or as part of a meal. 

If you don't want to reduce the rice, at least make sure it's a brown rice.  For bonus points, add some lentils to the brown rice.  They go nicely together and provide a complete protein.

Edited by Lady Marmalade

This may sound odd but I can't eat eggs without bread either.  So if I'm trying to cut carbs I make "toad in the hole" others might call it an "egg in a basket"?  You remove a good sized circle out of the bread and put it in the hot pan.  Crack an egg into the hole an let cook. Flip and remove when it's gotten to your preferred level of done-ness. Less bread but still there in enough quantity to be able to eat the eggs. 

There is a lot of good  advice here, I just wanted to add the suggestion of salmon.

Fish, in general, is high in protein, but not that filling.

You can get canned salmon and have it on a salad.  A 2oz serving from the Kirkland Atlantic canned salmon has 14g of protein, which is pretty good. 

Chicken is also an excellent way to get protein.  You can buy it canned or just cook up chicken breast and have it on salads.  

I agree with everyone else, you're going to need to cut the bread, and I also wouldn't do cheese.  Besides being very filling, it could be causing some digestive issues, making you less hungry. 

Plain nonfat Greek yogurt. I have been told to eat a cup a day. My body doesn't keep calcium in my bloodstream and calcium supplements weren't helping. I don't like it but it's working.

It would help your problem too. 47g protien. If you are that for breakfast you'd be half way to your goal.

At first it was hard, but I've gotten used to it. I've taken to keeping frozen cut up fruit on hand. I defrost that a little and add to the yogurt.

For more protien in concentrated form you might want to have beef jerky as a snack. Costco has bags of something called steak strips in the snack section 1 oz is 9 g protien.

I second the suggestion to cut back on carbs as you add protien. At least cut back on grain based carbs like bread. Keep your carbs from vegetables.

I agree with ditching the bread and adding Greek yogurt.

Maybe switch up how you do the eggs? Boiled or deviled. Frittatas are very versatile. I make one almost every morning in a small (8") cast iron skillet. Get it hot and preheat broiler while you make coffee, then whip up a couple of eggs. Pour them in, turn off the heat, and put it under the broiler for 90 secs. Top with cheese, sauce (pizza, buffalo, pesto, chicken), toppings (get more protein from ham, bacon, pepperoni). Return for another 90 secs. If you do it for two, use 4 eggs and 2 minute increments. You can saute spinach or arugula before adding eggs. Do it plain and top with cream cheese and smoked salmon.

Breakfast burritos with scrambled eggs and a high protein wrap

Egg and cream cheese "pancakes" or crepes or wraps--basically any of the low carb bread recipes

Deli meat spread with Boursin or cream cheese and rolled around a cucumber spear or pickle

http://smile.amazon.com/Whey-Protein-Isolate-Natural-Unflavpred/dp/B000GE0D8O/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1459645822&sr=8-1&keywords=now+protein+powder+isolate

I use this, stirred into water or juice and gulped down. About 25 grams of protein right there.  I actually buy this in the 5-lb jug, chocolate flavored, for my adult son with autism who refuses to eat meat/eggs/peanut butter, etc. and mix it with milk for added protein for him. 

Edited by JFSinIL

My only issue with dropping the bread at breakfast is that I can't seem to stomach eggs without it.  I've tried a few times and I always feel a little gross after.  

See I need toast with my eggs too.  I like eggs but can't stomach them without the buttered toast. 

What about adding in spoonfuls of coconut butter??  Nutritional yeast flakes sprinkled on your toast with eggs.  I love doing that!

Edited by 1GirlTwinBoys

Eat somewhere between 25- 30g serving of meat at each meal.  The rest of the protein can easily come from from incidental foods.  A serving of meat that gives that much protein is about 3 -4 oz. Not much volume. 

I don't know why you need the high protein diet. I do it because I am focused on building muscle mass. 

You are having to eat a ton of bread at breakfast. That may be part of the problem.

Duck eggs have 9 g of protein, so two give you 18 g. Some brands of plain Greek yogurt have 15-19 g protein as well. 

But since you're obviously not vegetarian, go for the actual meat if you want to decrease the volume of food you're eating. 

• Like 1

I had to be on a high protein diet for a few months, getting at least 100 g a day. I had no appetite so it was hard. I didn't read the other replies in this thread but i'll just quickly mention a couple things...

I noticed in your sample menu, there were a lot of breads. That can be very filling and constipating. I would eat the peanut butter on a spoon and have a piece of dried fruit, for example, rather than toast with peanut butter on it. It would be a lot less filling that way, too.

I used to eat eggs, cottage cheese, and ready-made turkey burger patties, but avoided non-protein fillers like buns for the burgers. I made smoothies with spinach and berries and whey powders. For dessert I ate ice cream with peanut butter. I also snacked on beef jerky.

Edited by Ms.Ivy