Menu

Calling all potato soup fans

Mom2Five

So, I'm making baked potato soup tomorrow for the first time. It seems super simple. I have about 3 recipes that I've found that I am pulling from as I usually can't find just one recipe that includes everything I want, minus what I don't want.

Any favorite recipes that you'd like to share that I may not have seen?

I think I am going to make it with milk vs chicken broth and I also want chunks of potato. lol.

My other question was, how do you think red potatoes would do in the soup? I wasn't thinking and bought a bag to do roasted potatoes but im thinking we are going to be potatoed out after the soup. Should I add them in or just use russet for the soup.

I haven't done baked potato soup, but have done a copy-cat version of Olive Garden's zuppa toscana. I use golden potatoes in that, or russet, or red, (or even sometimes sweet potatoes) and they all do fine. I also use milk instead of chicken broth (you would add it later though and only at a low temperature). Basically the trick is let it simmer until it falls apart enough that the  potatoes thicken it up, but not so much that you aren't left with any chunks. Or add some potatoes partway through to combat that. 

It's a pretty forgiving recipe; there's not much you could do to really mess it up, I wouldn't think. Have fun!

• Like 2

I prefer golden to russet potatoes.

I prefer chicken broth to cream based soup because of dietary issues.

I usually cook a little bacon in the bottom of my pot until crumbly and remove it. I caramelize half an onion, diced, in the bacon grease. I add chicken broth, a little sage, rosemary, and thyme plus a couple of bay leaves.  I dice my potatoes as my broth comes together, and simmer it all for about an hour. I top it with crisp bacon.

I used to use Pioneer Woman's recipe, but my girls have lactose intolerance. I prefer golden potatoes to russets because I hate the mealiness of russets as they cook down. 

• Like 3

This is the last recipe I used. Everyone loved it but it's not the healthiest version. It is milk-based.

http://damndelicious.net/2013/10/14/loaded-baked-potato-soup/?m

I'd stick with the russets if you want potato pieces in the end. Red potatoes dissolve much sooner. It'll still taste good, but you'll have fewer pieces.

• Like 1

We love potato soup, but I never follow a recipe.  The main ingredient for me is bacon.  I cook the bacon first, then saute garlic, onions, celery, diced potatoes in the bacon grease.  Then I add in milk/cream and seasonings.  I top it off with cheese, scallion, and add the crumbled bacon back in.  I always use russet potatoes.

• Like 1

We love potato soup, but I never follow a recipe.  The main ingredient for me is bacon.  I cook the bacon first, then saute garlic, onions, celery, diced potatoes in the bacon grease.  Then I add in milk/cream and seasonings.  I top it off with cheese, scallion, and add the crumbled bacon back in.  I always use russet potatoes.

I agree with this.  Also, I think the general ratio of onions, celery, and potatoes is important.  I go with 8 cups potatoes to 4 cups of celery to 2 cups of onion.  Roughly. ;)   An immersion blender is a good thing if you want to control the texture.

FYI, it's fabulous with smoked white cheddar cheese added.

• Like 4

I like golden potatoes best but will use whatever is on hand, likewise for other ingredients.

The biggest thing that I try to do each time is to saute some seasoning blend (onions, celery, bell pepper) and then whir it in the blender to add to the soup. This is great for any soup, spaghetti sauce, and gravy. I will still have bits in the soup, but the liquid seasoning blend is magic. 

• Like 1

I use a recipe that I found on Pinterest that says it's the recipe that is used at the Be Our Guest restaurant at WDW. It is fantastic. It has chicken broth and heavy whipping cream. You cook bacon and then cook the veggies (carrots, onions, celery) in the bacon grease. It is wonderful. I only make it once or twice a year!

• Like 1

We love potato soup, but I never follow a recipe. The main ingredient for me is bacon. I cook the bacon first, then saute garlic, onions, celery, diced potatoes in the bacon grease. Then I add in milk/cream and seasonings. I top it off with cheese, scallion, and add the crumbled bacon back in. I always use russet potatoes.

This is how I do it, too, no recipe. I use ham chopped to bits instead of bacon. I use milk but not all the way to desired soup consistency; I like to add a little chicken broth, too, I think it ups the flavor. I go ahead and melt cheese into the soup and have been known to add a glug of dry sherry and a fair dash of Tony Chachere's.

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 2

This is my families favorites:

Original recipe:

Chop one onion, one carrot, one celery stalk - leaves included, one potato per family member or more, adjust carrots, celery, onion per amount of potato. Cover with water (or chicken/vegetable stock) until even with the top of the vegetables.

Simmer for 20-30 minutes until potatoes are soft.

Mash but leave some pieces of potato. Add milk to thin to desired consistency. (usually around 1/4 cup.

Salt and pepper to taste. It can take a lot of salt.

I usually add crushed red pepper flakes, tumeric, and a few cloves of garlic with the vegetables.

Edited by kewb