Menu

I need ideas for 25 lbs of potatoes

Truscifi

Yup, I have 25 lbs of small white potatoes. I need to put them up somehow, probably freezing, as we'll never eat that many before they spoil. 

Potato soup? Maybe gnocchi? We don't really eat hashbrowns. Maybe a casserole?

Please share recipes and ideas!

I have frozen potato au gratins and they came out well after thawing and reheating in the oven. I freeze them in the corning ware bakeware that I make them in.

I also boil, peel and freeze potatoes in ziplock bags. I throw them into recipes for soups and stews and they also work out great as thickeners.

My mother half cooks french fries and then cools them and freezes them - she heats them up in the oven before serving and they turn out great.

Shepard's Pie, Cottage Pie, basically any meat-veg-and-gravy (or beans-veg-and-gravy) concoction with mashed potatoes on top.  Cook your meat, saute your veg, make a gravy, and combine them, then put in a casserole pan and top with the potatoes.  Gravy is easy - 3 tbsp flour, 3 tbsp fat (butter, oil, or fat from the meat), and 2 cups of liquid (broth, milk, coconut milk).  If you like, sprinkle a bit of Parmesan cheese on the potatoes, to give a crunchy top.  Cook at 350F for 20-25 minutes to get the potatoes nice and golden brown.

Roast potatoes - super easy.  Vary the seasoning to vary the flavor.

Mashed - a classic that I never tire of.  No need to load them up with cream cheese or any of that - just boil or steam or microwave, and mash in a little cooking water and toss in a wee bit of butter or margarine if your waistline can afford it.

Soup - 2-3 potatoes, some veg (onion, carrots, whatever you've got), and about 4 cups broth.  Cook until veg is soft, then puree.  Season to taste.  This will be different every time, and is a great way to include bits and pieces of veg that you need to use up.

Perogies - because they are awesome.

Bangers and Mash - a classic British dish, particularly good with sage-flavored sausage if you can find it.  Don't forget the peas and gravy!

Funeral potatoes?

http://saltlakecity.about.com/od/diningnightlife/fl/Utah-Cuisine-Funeral-Potatoes.htm

http://jamiecooksitup.net/2012/04/cheesy-potato-casserole-aka-funeral-potatoes/​

don't know why I've had issues with pasting an address.

cheesy potato casserole traditionally served at funerals.  (similar to au gratin - but faster.)

I like to use the leftover crouton crumbs (you know, the one's in the bottom of the bag.) for the topping.

eta: dh used swiss once.  it was good.  I've also seen people add cubes of ham and green onion - and eaten it for breakfast.

and we use something else as a base - not cream of chicken soup.

if you do a search for a recipe - you'll get about a gazillion different ones.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

Loaded twice baked potatoes freeze very well and go with almost everything. You'll actually use them because you can pull out what you need. I 'may' occasionally add a little bacon fat to mine to enhance flavor and creaminess. You don't even need a recipe. Just bake, scoop, mix in yummy things, and add back to the shell. I add a little more cheese to the top because it looks nicer. Flash freeze, wrap individually, then store in a freezer bag. DO NOT use green onions. They don't freeze well. Just use real onions for flavor and parsley for color. My family likes cream cheese, cheddar, and bacon in ours, but it can be whatever you like.