Menu

Do your own background check (?!?)

Pegasus

DD interviewed yesterday for a summer job.  At the end of the interview, they handed her a sheet that instructs her to visit her college security office, her local police/sheriff dept, and the DMV to request and pay for a background check.  She is supposed to then submit the documents back to the potential place of employment.  They are NOT assuring her of a job even if she does all this and her record is clean.

This is not a job that will look great on a future resume. . .just a way to earn some money to help pay for college.

Have you heard of such a thing?  Would you jump through those hoops?

We had to do and pay for our own at school.  We have to renew it occasionally as well.

I suspect that's the trend of the future where backgrounds matter - and probably even some jobs where it doesn't.

Whether I would do it in her situation depends totally upon how much she wants the job IMO.

I've had to pay for my own background check, but for volunteer things. It seems to have gotten so much easier nowadays though. I recently had to do it and I was able to do the whole thing online, which was nice. It's usually pretty inexpensive, so the cost wouldn't stop (hypothetical college age me) if I thought it was a decent paying summer job.

We always do it for potential employees we're really interested in. It's usually about $15 and is easily done online. I can see,the attraction of having applicants do of themselves. Proves they're really interested in the position and we don't waste the $15 on someone who isn't going to pass the check or lied about details (which has happened before).

Edited by momacacia
  • Like 1

I've never had to pay for my own whether it was for a job or a volunteer job, and neither have my kids.  I'd probably balk if it wasn't accompanied by an  offer of employment if it comes back clean.  I've had to take a drug test as a condition of employment and the employer paid for it. I wouldn't want to have to pay for my own drug test ESPECIALLY if there was no offer of employment.  But I'm guessing that might be next.  

I've never experienced that before and would simply pass on a job where the employer required that. It doesn't bode well for how they treat their employees if they treat possible future employees poorly by making them pay for something that should be the employers responsibility.

• Like 3

Here's the rundown after a little research/effort by DD:

1. College security background check: Hassle level = low (she's on campus daily anyway); Cost = free

DD stopped by there today and they had it ready for her when she stopped back by later in the day

2. Driver's license check: Hassle level = low (online request and print at home); Cost = $7

3. Police record check: Hassle level = high; Cost = $15

DD has to fill out a short form and then take it to the downtown station location in person with photo ID. This location is not convenient for us.  They do have an alternative which is to have the form notarized and then mail it in.  This would be require less travel but would take longer.

The job position would have DD working with kids so I understand the need for a background check but I really think it should take place once they've selected who they want to hire (assuming a clean record, of course).  Oh, they do also do a drug test but that's at least after they offer you the job.

I've had to pay for them for volunteer positions. What I think is super-annoying is that I have to do a separate one for every single organization. There should be a central registry where I can authorize each organization to just check me against it.

One I did recently was a bit like that. It was some fee (maybe $15?) to get it done. Then, from there, I could opt to have it sent to up to five other places - work or volunteer. For another small fee (maybe $5?) I could have them keep it on record to send later - as in, if I registered with them and paid that fee, then for a year, any time I wanted to have a background check sent, they'd just do it (up to a certain number of times) so if I had a new place that needed it, I could do it without starting over. I thought that seemed like a good system and was thinking maybe things are moving that way.

• Like 2

Well, the statement from the sheriff's office has a 3-D stamp on it. So much for my idea of scanning the documents in case she needs them again for another job opportunity.  *sigh*  At least DH was willing to drive her downtown to get it.  I detest driving downtown and especially trying to park.

Two statements down and only the online one from the DMV to go.  She should be able to turn them in on Monday.  Hopefully being so responsive will be to her benefit.