Menu

Hobbies for 9-10 y/o boys that aren't into sports?

Faithful_Steward

I want to support his passions but I'm tech-challenged and I feel out of my league. :)

He likes drawing and building things. He's always talking about robots and he's received a few kits as gifts, but it doesn't seem to be what he's looking for. He likes to make stop-motion videos (very basic), anything to do with computers, snap circuits, games, and puzzles.

I feel lame. I spent most of my free time playing sports and reading. I'm delighted to have a little supergeek in the family, but I don't know what to with him. My husband found him some sort of robotics thing with a local company once a month, but I'm looking more for projects he can do on his own. Please point me in the right direction!

Legos - independent

Tinkercad or sketchup - independent but need to create a free account. Can just use your email or your husband's email

https://www.tinkercad.com

http://www.sketchup.com

Make projects - best with you or your husband helping. You can check out the selection for books at Barnes and Noble, library.

http://www.makershed.com/collections/books

Take a trip to RadioShack :)

• Like 2

My kiddo loves animation. You can get basic animation apps for an iPad or iPhone or Android products for low cost. It's so simple, I figured it out... If he wants to do special effect, let him look on Youtube.com for tutorials (keep a partially negligent eye while he's watching them, if you know what I mean). 

There are a number of free coding websites that my kids have enjoyed -- code.org is a good starting place. I learned along with them (they have surpassed me, but... that's ok). 

There are tons of snap circuit options. There is this book if he needs more challenge/instruction: http://www.amazon.com/Student-Electronic-Circuits-Electricity-Electronics/dp/B005JJ9VK2-- it's for older kids for sure, but if he's past all of the general snap circuits projects, it's something to look at. 

I've had to realize that these interests are things I can facilitate, even if I don't exactly love/understand them. I do try to also teach them about things I specifically enjoy -- baking, sewing, gardening. I do it under the guise of wanting them to be "well rounded", but really it is so I feel confident in at least some of the things we do.  :o

• Like 1

Lego technic models and some lego technic books.

Building small rockets, google matchbook rockets on YouTube.

Join a FIrst Lego League club.

Here are some good lego technic books, you have to buy the legos from lego.com or the lego store to get a good price, they are specialized. The first series is good, get all 3 for him, the last book is for Dad to work through with him, it is more technical.

Lego technic books

http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Technic-Idea-Book-Machines-ebook/dp/B00C5S5UUA/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1456255988&sr=1-1&keywords=lego+technic+in+book

http://www.amazon.com/Unofficial-LEGO-Technic-Builders-Guide-ebook/dp/B009Z1XQ8I/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1456256104&sr=1-3&keywords=lego+technic+in+book

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 1

We just joined a local chapter of the National Association of Rocketry.  There are mostly adults at the events, with a few kids.  The members regularly do events for scouts, 4-H, and other programs, so they are fabulous with ds.  It's a wonderful way to learn applied science, have fun building, and the launches are very exciting.  There are some great competition and scholarship opportunities as well as a potential for mentorship if ds gets further into it.  I don't know how typical or atypical our local chapter is.  Might be worth checking out.  It's very inexpensive.

http://www.nar.org/find-a-local-club/

• Like 2

Sounds like my 9 year old.    My son is into all those things you listed, but he's also newly into:  worm composting, growing things (vegetable gardening), and rock polishing.      We subscribed to superchargedscience.com and brainpop.com  which he enjoys.     Have you considered 4-H or BoyScouts?    (we do neither, but these groups seem to keep a kid busy).      Archery?    Maybe start him on oboe where he gets to make reeds?        Just throwing it ALL out there, aren't I ?    :-)   

What about tinkering with instruments?   fixing them?  refurbishing them?    

• Like 1

My DS 11 sounds similar.  He likes origami, learning magic tricks, building with legos or similar, Sculpey clay, drawing, photography, watching Mythbusters (and other Discovery shows), and building models.  DH set him up with some programming tutorials and he does them pretty much on his own.  He has a Raspberry Pi set up in his room that he uses mostly for programming.

For more active things, he likes fishing/boating/canoeing, biking, sledding/snowboarding, archery, target shooting (he has a BB gun), and whittling.  

• Like 2

My just-turned-11-year-old son has a few friends he plays games with regularly.

He plays Settlers of Catan, Settlers expansions, Carcasonne, and various other games probably 2 times per week with friends and a few times a week with Dad, sisters, and sometimes me at night. 

He also plays pick up games of soccer, baseball, and now, touch football - not because he particularly likes it but because people he knows like to play and we've had the conversation "would you rather have your way or play with friends?" So he's learned to adapt to what his friends do on occasion. 

He likes practicing, so he's learned the Rubik's Cube, pretty darn advanced yoyo tricks, origami, and juggling. He plays piano, too. 

Emily

• Like 1

Mine build traps...mouse traps, squirrel traps, chipmunk traps,

, box traps.  They love trapping beaver, muskrat, raccoon, etc.  A
 my 12 year old made when he was 10

This week they made their own slingshots to shoot arrows.  They carve things out of wood...knives, arrows, guns.  They like making things out of leather, too.  They've made moccasins, coonskin hats, holsters, chaps, vests, belts, wallets, etc.

They are really into paracord survival bracelets and

, now.

Pam

Edited by wehave8
  • Like 1

My 10 year old is similar.  

We require exercise and he likes Tai kwan Do the most for that, although he's done archery and fencing in the past (no team sports)

He likes Minecraft, Roblox, Terraria, Origen.  He is doing a Java and an Animation class through Kahn Academy.

He likes Legos, drawing (I just buy a lot of blank sketchbooks and provide tools), Pokemon (plays the card game at a comic shop), Dungeons and Dragons (we have a board game).

we also do a STEM 4-h group.

Edited by Where's Toto?
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

We have a Robotics club where we live.  There is also many activities that he might enjoy in your local parks and recreation in your county?  Like others had mentioned, 4-H would be good to check out!  My son got into woodworking, (we live in the woods) exploring, carving, building things in our backyard at that age too.  I recommend anything outside!  It just does something to your brain and I can vouch for myself and my kids!  :)  

• Like 1