Menu

Book a Week 2016 - BW8: r.i.p. umberto eco and harper lee

Robin M

I finished war and peace yesterday. It took a little longer since everyone is sick in my house including me. I really enjoyed it. For anyone who is not familiar with Leo Tolstoy, he is a Russian writer and has influenced Ghandi and Martin Luther King with his ideas on non violent resistance. He was corresponding with Ghandi for a year before he died.

Tolstoy seems to have such intuition about the nature of people in general and the way they feel , social pressures and why people react the way they do to different situations. I love history and reading about the wars and Napolian written from different soldiers perspectives, all the way from Kutusov down to the hussars gave me a different view of the history as I knew it. The transformation of Pierre who seemed to want a deeper understanding of life and only recieve it after going through trials, whose understanding of what really makes a man free rings true to me. I really felt a connection to Natasha in the end when she realized being a wife and a mother was what she really wanted and didn't care about full filling social obligation or handing her children off to a wet nurse. I plan on getting the Kingdom of God is Within You since this book has really sparked my interest on Tolstoy.

I too, loved how Natasha wanted to feed her own babies and also the seriousness of Marya about parenting her kids as it kind of reminded me of myself. all of them seem like people with a good heart who end up in a corrupt society and are trying to find away to live within it.

• Like 8

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Likes and hugs all around, my darlings.

Found in my meanderings today:

For our Haruki Murakami readers - Memoranda, a video game puzzle based on his short stories.

12 Oscar nominated films you never knew were based on books and 10 Books to read in the back of a TukTuk

Five Fantasy novels set in historical times

Real life meanderings - I drove by the new shop of Blackout Fight Gear and Apparel yesterday on my way to work and their new building sign read Gear and Apparrel. I contacted them by facebook

Me: Hey, I just drove by your new shop at 6609 Fair Oaks and thought you should know your sign person misspelled Apparel with two r's.

response: Lol in haventry seen it yet lol. Guess that's on te list to fix.

:svengo:

I have a question about Haruki Murakami. i borrowed one from the library and although it was an enjoyable read it was a little heavy on the intimate content. Are they all similar or did I just start with a bad one?

• Like 7

I think it's fairly gory and it's definitely violent. It's the anti-war hero movie and is quite disturbing but the acting is top-notch. Watching Brando's portrayal of Kurtz is extraordinary. Since you have a DVD you can just turn it off if it becomes too much, but if you're really sensitive just the initial exposure before you turn it off may be too much.

I was thinking about Apocalypse Now last night because I went to hear Homero Aridjis and his daughter at City Lights Bookstore, which is just down the block from American Zoetrope, where Coppola produced the film. Here's a picture of the building, and you can see there's a red sign under the red awning. And if you zoom in on the sign, you can see the film mentioned. Anyway, I walked right by the sign and thought about this thread!

Thank you for the heads up.  I think I will watch it with teen son (since he read HoD as part of homeschooling) and walk away if it is too much.

• Like 6

Yesterday I read Pamela Clare's Seduction Game: An I-Team Novel.  I ultimately enjoyed it, but the hero certainly did some unsavory things during the course of the book.   This is the seventh book in the series, but it could be read as a standalone.

<snip>

Which Pamela Clare book did you choose?  Was it the one above?

Regards,

Kareni

I went with Extreme Exposure (I-Team #1), figuring it was best to start with the first in the series.  I enjoyed the 6 hours of audio when I was driving--it made the traffic bearable and I came to care about the characters.  However, it was tougher to stick with it thereafter since I typically listen while driving with kids in the car and her series is not kid friendly.  Also, the last third of the book is heavy on suspense and felt over the top to me.  But maybe it's because I wasn't in traffic.  LOL.  I would read another, especially if parked on a beach somewhere. 

• Like 7

I went with Extreme Exposure (I-Team #1), figuring it was best to start with the first in the series.  I enjoyed the 6 hours of audio when I was driving--it made the traffic bearable and I came to care about the characters.  However, it was tougher to stick with it thereafter since I typically listen while driving with kids in the car and her series is not kid friendly.  Also, the last third of the book is heavy on suspense and felt over the top to me.  But maybe it's because I wasn't in traffic.  LOL.  I would read another, especially if parked on a beach somewhere. 

I think you started in the right place.  And, yes, I hear you on the audio being not child friendly; that remains true throughout the series.  I'll wish you some future beach reading time!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

Mesamin, please let me know what you think of the book. I haven't read her books but she will be visiting our local indie bookstore this week. The lady who runs the store said she really enjoyed the book!

Am at an eye dr. for a possible cornea issue. Yikes.

I finished Sara Gruen's "At the Water's Edge" last night.  At one point, I almost quit the book because I was so disgusted with some of the characters' personalities but Sara wrote them that way for a reason.  She tight roped that portion of the book just long enough to get some conflicting vantage points across before focusing on more like-able characters.  I really enjoyed the book and it was a quick read.  I also enjoyed "Like Water for Elephants".

• Like 7

I finished several books today all of which I enjoyed ~

First is the graphic novel The Sculptor by Scott McCloud

"David Smith is giving his life for his art―literally. Thanks to a deal with Death, the young sculptor gets his childhood wish: to sculpt anything he can imagine with his bare hands. But now that he only has 200 days to live, deciding what to create is harder than he thought, and discovering the love of his life at the 11th hour isn't making it any easier!

This is a story of desire taken to the edge of reason and beyond; of the frantic, clumsy dance steps of young love; and a gorgeous, street-level portrait of the world's greatest city. It's about the small, warm, human moments of everyday life…and the great surging forces that lie just under the surface. Scott McCloud wrote the book on how comics work; now he vaults into great fiction with a breathtaking, funny, and unforgettable new work."

Here's a piece from The New York Times about the author and the work:  A Comics Scholar Draws a New One of His Own

I also read two more Zentangle books both of which were worth my time ~

Totally Tangled: Zentangle and Beyond by Sandy Steen Bartholomew

and

Zentangle 2  by Suzanne McNeill CZT

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

Got to do a fun thing with ds tonight. For Christmas, I had gotten tickets to my favorite radio show, Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me.

Ds & I went to tonight & had a fabulous time. Great crowd there tonight. So funny. Probably a few things they will be editing out.  :lol:  Panelists were Paula Poundstone, Roy Blount, Jr., and Faith Salie. Tricia Yearwood was the guest. Loads of fun. I think the recording from tonight will be the one they broadcast this Saturday.

My terrible iphone photo of the stage:

ETA: And, it was at the Fabulous Fox Theatre, so that's always a win. It's such a gorgeous venue & a must-visit if you're ever in Atlanta.

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 17

I have a question about Haruki Murakami. i borrowed one from the library and although it was an enjoyable read it was a little heavy on the intimate content. Are they all similar or did I just start with a bad one?

I would say that it's a staple component of most of his fiction books.

If you look at this Haruki Murakami Bingo Card, it gives you an idea of the themes that commonly run through his books.

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 7

Got to do a fun thing with ds tonight. For Christmas, I had gotten tickets to my favorite radio show, Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me.

Ds & I went to tonight & had a fabulous time. Great crowd there tonight. So funny. Probably a few things they will be editing out.  :lol:  Panelists were Paula Poundstone, Roy Blount, Jr., and Faith Salie. Tricia Yearwood was the guest. Loads of fun. I think the recording from tonight will be the one they broadcast this Saturday.

attachicon.gifIMG_0896.JPG

ETA: And, it was at the Fabulous Fox Theatre, so that's always a win. It's such a gorgeous venue & a must-visit if you're ever in Atlanta.

What fun, Stacia!  Wait, Wait is a favorite in this household too.

There is a growing stack of newspapers on my dining room table, a sign that my life has been chaotic of late.  My reading has consisted of a few pages here and there. The library sent an email that The Shepard's Life is due back and cannot be renewed.  So that one goes on my list to borrow again later in the year. 

I hope to have a quieter weekend with some quality reading time. Fingers crossed.  And with that hope, I am making a trip to the library today--as if I don't have a growing stack of dusties at the side of the bed.

I finished listening to A Gathering of Old Men, a book that worked well in audio format given that the tale is told by fifteen narrators offering their perspectives of the unfolding drama after a Cajun man is shot, presumably by a black sharecropper.  Not a top notch book but certainly another volume in the discussion of race that we have been having.

Here is something from BBC Radio that some of you might find as fascinating as I did:  Modern Morality Tales. There are five short plays that illustrate how modern society views several of the formerly known Seven Deadly Sins.  Pride is encouraged today as is "righteous anger".  And what about greed in our material world?  The first link offers you a way to listen from the Internet.  You can also download an MP3 of this hour and a half long program for another week or so. There is a link on this page, something that might lead to an interesting home school discussion for those of you with highschoolers.

Giving myself deadlines to finish a couple of things by the end of the month--and get caught up on HoRW!!

Edited by Jane in NC
  • Like 8

Thank you. I had Norwegian wood. I actually love the writing style so that's disappointing. But never mind.

Re: Murakami...

In my original post, I wrote non-fiction, but I have gone back & corrected it to say fiction.

You might want to try his very short book, The Strange Library. I think that one would be ok for you. You could also try someof his non-fiction (which I haven't read but have been meaning to).

If you like his surreal writing style, you might enjoy Mr. Fox by Helen Oyeyemi. Or Sleeping in Flame by Jonathan Carroll.

• Like 8

I finished up the Mercy Thompson series which was paranormal fluff that I read mainly because the characters are easy to fall in love with and then you want to keep up with what they're doing.

Started Bella Forest's A Shade Of Vampire because Kindle Unlimited recommended it... I'm not that impressed so far. I also put the last two Alexia Terrabotti books on hold at the library so those should be fun. I finished up the Lysa TerKeurst book yesterday too to get it out of the way seeing that my husband was given a snow day. 

• Like 9

I finished up the Mercy Thompson series which was paranormal fluff that I read mainly because the characters are easy to fall in love with and then you want to keep up with what they're doing.

Have you read Briggs' Alpha and Omega books yet?  I enjoy them even more than her Mercy Thompson series.  You'll see too that some characters and storylines appear in both series.  If you've yet to begin, start with   Alpha & Omega.

I'll admit to being flummoxed that the link above says the story is some 300 plus pages; it's actually only about 70 or so pages long.  I first read it in the anthology On the Prowl.  You can also find it in this anthology which contains only works by Patricia Briggs ~   Shifting Shadows: Stories from the World of Mercy Thompson.  You'd probably enjoy this anthology in any event as it contains stories of her characters from the Mercy Thompson series as well.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

I watched Apocolypse Now after I read Heart of Darkness a few years ago and IMO it didn't stand the test of time. It's so very 70s and way too trippy for my taste. I don't like war movies in general (even anti-war movies) so I'm sure that affects my opinion, but I really, really disliked this movie. 

Yes, it's definitely "of the era." :laugh:  I don't like war movies that much either, except maybe this one and Platoon. I think my favorite aspect of this movie is in the performances and not in the plot, although it was the first time I saw an adaptation of a novel so it was eye-opening for me as a young 'un, as far as how to re-adapt an old novel into something very modern (at the time.)

How fun! I used to listen to Wait, Wait while paying bills and doing paperwork, but I've gotten out of the habit. I'll make sure to listen to this one.

Here is something from BBC Radio that some of you might find as fascinating as I did:  Modern Morality Tales. There are five short plays that illustrate how modern society views several of the formerly known Seven Deadly Sins.  Pride is encouraged today as is "righteous anger".  And what about greed in our material world?  The first link offers you a way to listen from the Internet. 

Thank you, I'll try and give them a listen.

• Like 8

Just back from the library where I picked up The Zuni Cafe Cookbook (idnib's favorite) as well as some other recommended titles including some lighter weight mysteries.  My husband is going to start working some odd hours so I think some entertainments are in order--and that includes a Terry Pratchett on CD too.

• Like 8

Staci- thanks for keeping us updated on book news.

I just got an email from the library and 3 of the books I requested came in Boy, Snow Bird, Daring Greatly, and Sense of Wonder. I'm hoping to finish up Big Magic, which I'm really enjoying- some parts are a bit woo for me but overall it is speaking to me at this time in my life, by tomorrow afternoon so I can pick them up and start right in. What a great mix of reading, an inspirational non-fic, nature related non-fic and fairy tale fic.

Edited by soror
  • Like 8

Last night I finished the contemporary romance  Blueberry Boys by Vanessa North.  It was an enjoyable read.  (Adult content.)

"Connor Graham is a city boy—a celebrated fashion photographer in New York. When his uncle’s death drags him back to the family blueberry farm, all he wants to do is sell it as quickly as he can. Until he meets his uncle’s tenant farmer.

Jed Jones, shy and stammering, devout and dedicated, has always yearned for land of his own and a man to share it with. Kept in the closet by his church, family, and disastrous first love, he longs to be accepted for who he is. But now, with his farm and his future in Connor’s careless hands, he stands to lose even the little he has.

Neither man expects the connection between them. Jed sees Connor—appreciates his art and passion like no one else in this godforsaken town ever has. Connor hears Jed—looks past his stutter to listen to the man inside. The time they share is idyllic, but with the farm sale pending, even their sanctuary is a source of tension. As work, family, and their town’s old-fashioned attitudes pull them apart, they must find a way to reconcile commitments to their careers and to each other."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

Re: Murakami...

In my original post, I wrote non-fiction, but I have gone back & corrected it to say fiction.

You might want to try his very short book, The Strange Library. I think that one would be ok for you. You could also try someof his non-fiction (which I haven't read but have been meaning to).

If you like his surreal writing style, you might enjoy Mr. Fox by Helen Oyeyemi. Or Sleeping in Flame by Jonathan Carroll.

Thank you. They sound good.

• Like 7

Since I last posted, I've finished SWB's novel, The Revolt. I found it both riveting and chilling. First published in 1996, the author paints a picture of what could still happen, given the current political climate. For a more relaxed, brain candy sort of read, I also finished two mysteries by Mindy Quigley: A Murder in Mount Moriah and A Murder in Duck. This is the Rev. Lindsay Harding mystery series. Harding is a hospital chaplain who always finds herself in the middle of murders.

I'm now reading the 3rd in the Harding series, along with Gandhi the Man: How One Man Changed Himself to Change the World by Eknath Easwaran.

1.     A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, 1/1/16

2.     Lights Out – Ted Koppel, Ted Koppel 1/3/16

3.     A Crane Christmas: The Morelville Mysteries, Book 6 – Anne Hagan 1/4/16

4.     Viva Mama Rossi – Anne Hagan 1/9/16

5.     The Passed Prop – Anne Hagan 1/10/16

6.     Mudbound – Hillary Jordan 1/11/16

7.     Treasure Island – Robert Louis Stevenson** 1/14/16

8.     Murder in the Vicarage – Agatha Christie 1/15/16

9.     The Body in the Library (Miss Marple #3) – Agatha Christie 1/21/16

10.   A Siege of Bitterns: A Birder Murder Mystery – Steve Burrows 1/31/16

11.   Animal Vegetable, Miracle, Barbara Kingsolver 2/1/16

12.   Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy by Eric Metaxas 2/2/16

13.   Tapas, Carrot Cake and a Corpse (A Charlotte Denver Cozy Mystery #1) – Sherri Bryan 2/4/16

14.   Fudge Cake, Felony and a Funeral (A Charlotte Denver Cozy Mystery #2) – Sherri Bryan 2/5/16

15.   Spare Ribs, Secrets and a Scandal – (A Charlotte Denver Cozy Mystery #3) – Sherri Bryan 2/5/16

16.   Pumpkins, Peril and a Paella – (A Charlotte Denver Cozy Mystery #4) – Sherri Bryan 2/5/16

17.   The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate – (Calpurnia Tate #1) – Jacqueline Kelly** 2/7/16

18.   The Adventures of Tom Sawyer – Mark Twain** (2/12/16)

19.   A Pitying of Doves – A Birder Murder Mystery (#2) – Steve Burrows (2/14/16)

20.   The Curious World of Calpurnia Tate (Calpurnia Tate #2) – Jacqueline Kelly (2/16/16)**

21.   Learning to Walk in the Dark by Barbara Brown Taylor (2/18/16)

22.   The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd (2/19/16)

23.   The Revolt by Susan Wise Bauer (2/22/16)

24.   A Murder in Mount Moriah (A Lindsey Harding Mystery #1) – Mindy Quigley (2/23/16)

25.   A Death in Duck (A Lindsay Harding Mystery #2) – Mindy Quigley (2/24/16)

When a period of enforced relaxed homeschooling coincides with one's internet access being at the shop, a lot of reading gets done!

Am I Black Enough for You? Anita Heiss (An urban Aboriginal pov, new and interesting to me. I'd like to read some of her fiction.)

How Eskimos Keep their Babies Warm: Parenting wisdom from around the world, Mei-Ling Hopgood (Fun, fluffy read)

Opals (the book that went along with the museum exhibition) (Shiny. :) )

The Stories of Eva Luna, Isabel Allende (Oh man, what a seductive writer! Even while you are screaming for brain bleach and begging yourself not to continue reading, you keep reading. I'd love to read more from her that didn't require brain bleach.)

That Sugar Book, Damon Gameau

The Language of Baklava, Diana Abu-Jaber

Snugglepot and Cuddlepie, May Gibbs (read aloud) (An Australian classic it is about time I read to my daughter!)

Will & Me: How Shakespeare took over my life, Dominic Dromgoole (Fun read)

Where the Streets Had Names, Randa Abdel-Fattah (Much better than anything else I've read of hers. I think I'll use it for modern history for grade 4)

The Mill on the Floss, George Eliot (A million pages of complete misery. Why did I read this? I forgot that back then they didn't feel obliged to provide a happy ending, I guess.)

• Like 13

#20: Number the Stars by Lois Lowry.  I read it to the boys as part of school since we're studying WWII right now.  My 9 year old was especially excited to learn what was factual in the book and that so many people really did risk everything to save the Jews.  That's the second time I read it.  I love the story.

Hey, my 10 year old just finished that today!  He never says whether or not he likes books though lol.  He's not a big fan of reading.  :D

I have gotten more than one padded envelope that was open at the top and no book inside. Lovely. Cause then sender and receiver is out a book. 

This suddenly makes so many things make sense.  I got a book a few weeks ago and the envelope was RIPPED open.  Like, the whole front of the envelope was torn off.  I was just like :blink: but that makes more sense now.

I'm still working on Between the World and Me.  I should finish it in the next day or so.  It is thought provoking, but at the same time, at least so far, he comes across as hopeless.  And jaded, but perhaps rightly so.  Idk.  It's interesting for sure.

• Like 10

Thanks again for all the kind words & wishes, everyone. :grouphug: This group is, hands down, just the best!

My ds really loved that one too. If you end up reading something else that you think would appeal to someone who loved it, please post. I'm always on the lookout for more books for my (14yo) ds. He can be kind of a picky reader at times, though he can also be diverse in his reading.

I totally agree. I've read two of Larson's books now & have decided that I just don't like his writing style. At all. His topics are interesting, but the manner in which he writes is so unappealing to me that I just don't care about reading his books. Imo, there are plenty of other great non-fiction writers out there that I enjoy so much more.

What a blast from the past to hear about that book again. I read it so many years ago. I remember finding it somewhat amusing, but it struck me more as sad than anything (at least based on my very old memories).

He & Paul Hogan in shorty-shorts (sorry, can't remember the Aussie name for the shorts now) are irreplaceable man hunks! :laugh:

Stubbies?

• Like 9

When a period of enforced relaxed homeschooling coincides with one's internet access being at the shop, a lot of reading gets done!

Am I Black Enough for You? Anita Heiss (An urban Aboriginal pov, new and interesting to me. I'd like to read some of her fiction.)

How Eskimos Keep their Babies Warm: Parenting wisdom from around the world, Mei-Ling Hopgood (Fun, fluffy read)

Opals (the book that went along with the museum exhibition) (Shiny. :) )

The Stories of Eva Luna, Isabel Allende (Oh man, what a seductive writer! Even while you are screaming for brain bleach and begging yourself not to continue reading, you keep reading. I'd love to read more from her that didn't require brain bleach.)

That Sugar Book, Damon Gameau

The Language of Baklava, Diana Abu-Jaber

Snugglepot and Cuddlepie, May Gibbs (read aloud) (An Australian classic it is about time I read to my daughter!)

Will & Me: How Shakespeare took over my life, Dominic Dromgoole (Fun read)

Where the Streets Had Names, Randa Abdel-Fattah (Much better than anything else I've read of hers. I think I'll use it for modern history for grade 4)

The Mill on the Floss, George Eliot (A million pages of complete misery. Why did I read this? I forgot that back then they didn't feel obliged to provide a happy ending, I guess.)

How was the museum visit? I live here and meant to go and just realised its finished ðŸ˜

• Like 9

How was the museum visit? I live here and meant to go and just realised its finished ðŸ˜

Well, the Opal exhibition probably wasn't worth an interstate trip, but hey, we felt like it and that's a good enough reason!

We were impressed with your Indigenous galleries and the Pacific Island stuff. I'd love to go and see the latter again when the exhibit has been modernised, as I read the museum is working towards. We have no Pacific Island stuff here to speak of. I think it is very sensible how you have the state library, art gallery and museums next to each other. Is the Immigration museum any good? We didn't have time for that and ours here hosts some fabulous travelling exhibitions. I assume they go to yours too?

• Like 9

Negin & I think someone else (maybe Alice?) have mentioned a great book that goes along with The Diary of Anne Frank. Negin, I'm thinking it's one you said you bought when you actually visited the Anne Frank house...??? Can you remind me of the title?

I'm asking because my dad is currently reading The Diary of Anne Frank & loving it.

Thanks for any help!

• Like 6

Well, the Opal exhibition probably wasn't worth an interstate trip, but hey, we felt like it and that's a good enough reason!

We were impressed with your Indigenous galleries and the Pacific Island stuff. I'd love to go and see the latter again when the exhibit has been modernised, as I read the museum is working towards. We have no Pacific Island stuff here to speak of. I think it is very sensible how you have the state library, art gallery and museums next to each other. Is the Immigration museum any good? We didn't have time for that and ours here hosts some fabulous travelling exhibitions. I assume they go to yours too?

So glad you enjoyed it, we haven't been to the immigration museum yet although it's been on my list of day trips for about three years now! My kids love the giant squid.

• Like 9

Oh how fun! I would love to be at a taping of that show. It's one of my favorites.

I saw The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas at the Fox, not long after it reopened after being saved from demolition and renovated. Such a cool place!

Glad you had a good time.

• Like 8

I finished A Passage to India last night. I really enjoyed it and having also just read A Suitable Boy I could see in Passage, how India was moving towards independence. This is my second Forster and I noticed he likes the word muddle. I'll be curious to see if he uses it as liberally in Howard's End (I hope to read it this year) as he does in this book and in A Room with a View. :)

Currently reading:

The Portable Atheist - Christopher HItchens

The Age of Reason - Thomas Paine

The Fleet Street Murders - Charles Finch - #3 in the Charles Lenox mysteries

Still listening to Dickens' Bleak House.

I won't get much reading done today. It's our little leap day grandson's birthday party this afternoon. Dss and ddil wanted to have his party on his actual 4th/1st birthday until they realized they'd get few party guests on a Monday. I had the cutest little Leap Day Kid shirt made for him and will share a photo with you all later this week. Of course we got him some toys too, because what four year old gets excited about clothes as a gift?  :lol:

• Like 10

Here's my list,

1. The Alchemist Paulo Coelho

2. Between the World and Me Ta-Nehisi Coates

3. The Whole- Brain Child Daniel J. Siegel and Tina Payne Bryson

4. The Help Kathryn Stockett

5. 10% Happier Dan Harris

6. We Should All Be Feminists Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

7. Dream Work Mary Oliver

8. Better Than Before Gretchen Rubin

I read 2 short books over the past few days to catch up.  Dream Work was beautiful, I need more Mary Oliver in my life.  I'm not big on poetry at all but I really enjoyed her work.   We Should All Be Feminists was great, I had already seen the TED talk, but it was nice to slow down and go over the words.

I just started Better Than Before, hopefully I will start a habit that will help me keep my house clean. :laugh:

Edited by Runningmom80
  • Like 11

We Should All Be Feminists was great, I had already seen the TED talk, but it was nice to slow down and go over the words.

I just started Better Than Before, hopefully I will start a habit that will help me keep my house clean. :laugh:

Maybe I will watch that TED talk. I like TED talks. 

For keeping my house clean I use the Motivated Moms app. I am addicted to it. 

I am drinking very strong coffee. I stayed up way WAY too late (like 4:30am) reading. I have to take my kid to his dance class, buy supplies for my class on Monday, buy groceries, and house chores. I knew this yet I could not stop reading. Naughty. I have great discipline when it comes to exercise, eating, keeping house clean, etc. but when it comes to controlling my reading? No control.  :o

• Like 9

Maybe I will watch that TED talk. I like TED talks. 

For keeping my house clean I use the Motivated Moms app. I am addicted to it. 

I am drinking very strong coffee. I stayed up way WAY too late (like 4:30am) reading. I have to take my kid to his dance class, buy supplies for my class on Monday, buy groceries, and house chores. I knew this yet I could not stop reading. Naughty. I have great discipline when it comes to exercise, eating, keeping house clean, etc. but when it comes to controlling my reading? No control.  :o

It's wonderful,

http://tedxtalks.ted.com/video/We-should-all-be-feminists-Chim

I'll have to check out that app!

• Like 7

Thank you to so many of my BaW friends for joining me in Forster February!  Some of you are still reading A Passage to India.  Please feel free to continue the discussion.

I want to add one quote to our conversation, the opening lines of the first paragraph of Part Three, Temple. 

Some hundreds of miles westward of the Marabar Hills, and two years later in time, Professor Narayan Godbole stands in the presence of God.  God is not born yet--that will occur at midnight--but He has also been born centuries ago, nor can He ever be born, because He is the Lord of the Universe, who transcends human processes.  He is, was not, is not, was.  He and Professor Godbole stood at opposite ends of the same strip of carpet.

I wonder if these lines sum up the difficulties in the clash of cultures/religions. Eastern mysticism has been mentioned in other threads, but within that mysticism or perhaps in Eastern cultures themselves we find an acceptance of contradiction that we may be less inclined to see or acknowledge despite its presence in our Western lives.

Edited by Jane in NC
  • Like 9

I listened to Wait Wait today & I have to say that they cut out some of the funniest bits. I know they had to cut it down to get it to fit into the time slot, but some of the quips were so funny that I'm sorry they didn't leave them in.

I've decided to give up on I Am A Japanese Writer by Dany Laferriere. This seems like a book I would normally like, but I just don't. I started it & put it down a few days. Then, I restarted it again from the beginning (the flow & very short chapters make me think it might best be read in one sitting) & I still can't get into it. I'm finding the trope of "I'm an author who should be writing a book for my publisher but instead am doing all these other things instead, which I'll blather on about (rather than writing the 'real' story)" getting tiresome. I get the meta-ness of it all & maybe the end would be worth it, but I'm not willing to wade through chapters & chapters of miscellaneous stuff just to see if it might be worth it.

I think this is one case where I like the idea of the book better than the book itself.

• Like 6

Do I remember correctly that there is someone here besides me who has geology going on in the homeschool?  

If so... have you heard about the Geological Society of America's bookstore?   I just bought what promises to be a fantastic book for geology field trips in my area, and there may be something for your area too. 

Next month we are following their road tour of the Gettysburg area from the book Field Trips in the Middle Atlantic States, the chapter:  "Geology of the Gettysburg battlefield: How Mesozoic events and processes impacted American history." 

There are lots of other books on other regions.  I wanted to buy so many!  But, one for now, and we'll see how much we use it.

Anyway, if I'm wrong and no one is doing that, or this is old news, carry on!  :-)

Edited by marbel
  • Like 6

Re: Heart of Darkness & Apocalypse Now.

I rank Heart of Darkness one of my favorite books (even though it has been years & years since I have read it). In college, I was in a class where we analyzed the book & movie too. I think the movie is a great modern-day adaptation of the story. (Haven't seen it recently either, so I'm kind of laughing about the 70s references to it.)

Dd actually just had to read this in her AP English class & they watched the movie too. She wasn't super-keen on either, but did say that she thought the movie was a good adaptation/version of the story.

Maybe I'll have to revisit both before too long (after looking at my teetering stacks of books & library requests...).

• Like 6

Re: Heart of Darkness & Apocalypse Now.

I rank Heart of Darkness one of my favorite books (even though it has been years & years since I have read it). In college, I was in a class where we analyzed the book & movie too. I think the movie is a great modern-day adaptation of the story. (Haven't seen it recently either, so I'm kind of laughing about the 70s references to it.)

Dd actually just had to read this in her AP English class & they watched the movie too. She wasn't super-keen on either, but did say that she thought the movie was a good adaptation/version of the story.

Maybe I'll have to revisit both before too long (after looking at my teetering stacks of books & library requests...).

Stacia just loves the smell of napalm in the morning.  :laugh:

I can't say that Heart of Darkness is a favorite but I view it as an important book, one that I assigned to my son as a high school student along with watching Apocalypse Now.  Vietnam is part of my childhood/young adulthood. My brother in law lives with the effects of Agent Orange.  I see those 70's references as important.

On my son's go around though I included Things Fall Apart in the assignment.  I think that is probably the best way to read Heart of Darkness today.

But speaking of Joseph Conrad...I do love a good espionage novel and recognize that I have missed one of the classics:  Conrad's The Secret Agent.  I thought about that just today as I started reading Joseph Kanon's Leaving Berlin.  This is one of those books that I found on a link from Stacia listing the best books of 2015.  Leaving Berlin takes place in 1949.  Espionage, the Cold War--what's not to love?

• Like 8

Laughing at the "loving the smell of napalm" comment. I agree that pairing HoD with Things Fall Apart is a great way to approach the material.

I have decided to watch Apocalypse Now with ds, though we don't have a specific time picked and this one won't happen if not scheduled. Y'all can cover me when I go in.

• Like 8

I missed the Forster February! I may add A Room With A View for Feb, if I can finish my book tonight. I've read A Passage to India and it was one of the books from college that stuck with me.

Heart of Darkness is on my list too, maybe I'll read that after Forster.

Edited by Runningmom80
  • Like 7

Yeah, I'm actually Robert Duvall, not Stacia. :lol:

Disturbing, yet great, movie. But, it's a war movie. And it delves into the dark psyche of man. So it should be disturbing. (Same can be said for the book.)

ETA: Jane made me do it....

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 7

I hope it's not too late to join in for the year.  I will have to catch up - I think I am slightly behind but I may remember another title from January.  I am enjoying the recommendations and the reviews from others. 

My list so far:

​Currently reading:

7.Gretel and the Case of the Missing Frog Prints by P. J. Brackston (Audio) (Not loving this.  Will finish listening.  I thought it sounded like a fun idea, but I think it was better as an idea than book, for me.) 

6.  Speak by Louisa Hall (Interesting.  Unlike anything I can remember reading before.  It was a slow read for me, but I am glad I stuck with it.)

5.  The Crocodile Bird by Ruth Rendell

4.  A Hanging at Cinder Bottom:  A Novel by Glenn Taylor (literary historical fiction set in 1910 WV - Well written heist novel with a twist. )

3.  Girl Waits with Gun by Amy Stewart (Loved it.)

2.  The Werewolf of Bamberg by Oliver Potzsch (Audio)(Part of the Hangman's Daughter series)

1.  Alice + Freda Forever:  A Murder in Memphis by Alexis Coe

• Like 11