Menu

s/o kind of... Washington DC with no car????

Um_2_4

So I read the DC thread recently and it reaffirmed that I would really like to take the kids. (plus I've never been, my family trips were usually to CO,SD, etc.)

I have begun researching flights, etc. 

IF DH can get 10 days or so, we might try to go. My main question is, could we do it without a car???? DH stresses driving in big cities (especially as we would need a 6 seater = minivan or SUV).

What area would be best to stay in? Safe, but near the metro, etc? Are there areas we should avoid walking/public transport?

My only experience with metros/public transport is in Europe. Is the one in DC as easy to use?

Do ubers take 6 people, including 2 6yos, if we got tired and wanted to use one??

If we wanted to take a day trip out of DC, are there trains or buses or should we just rent a car for a day? (I'm thinking Mt Vernon, etc.)

If we can't do this, I may consider a car trip near here (CA), but my kids get car sick (3/4 of them) so I would want frequent stops, and the trip to be the thing...ie no straight driving through to ___________.

The Metro in DC is fantastic!  It's really easy to navigate.  We had our car and didn't use it once we got into DC because the Metro was so much easier.  Most hotels have a shuttle to get you to the metro station if it's not in walking distance. We went in 2009.

Driving in DC on the beltway is no small matter.  Avoid it when you can if you're not already familiar with the area, you'll enjoy things so much more.

• Like 3

Yeah, I think not having a car is a plus there. When we went, we stayed at a hotel outside the city but near a metro line. Easy to get in and out.  Hotel was cheaper too.  The only downside is that my daughter and I like to get up and GO explore a bit while husband and son wake up more leisurely, and out where we were, there was nothing to go to (without getting on the metro into town).  :-)

Edited by marbel
  • Like 2

Yes, you would be fine without a car. We've spent a lot of time here without one and I almost never use our car right now. One place that's relatively inexpensive but in a great location is the Americana Hotel in Arlington.  I haven't stayed there myself, but others here have recommend it and we lived in the area for a while and it's very convenient to both DC and National Airport (I'd actually walk to the airport to pick people up). The building looks a bit sketchy but the area is fine.  There are many other places to stay, in that area (that are more expensive), or all over the city. 

Metro is really easy to use although a little expensive for 6 people.  You can take trains or buses to some places but it's easy and relatively inexpensive to rent a car for a place like Mount Vernon.

• Like 2

Definitely fine without a car. Getting to a few places - the Arboretum, Mt. Vernon - is a lot easier with, but that's okay - there are tourist buses that run trips to them. And there are a few off the beaten path spots that would be hard, but they're off the beaten path and there's plenty to do on the path, so to speak.

I find being carless here to be a huge hassle. But... I'm living here and most of our friends (thanks, homeschooling) don't live in the city. And I find that one's tolerance for public transit in one's own city for a trip you're used to making in a car is pretty limited compared to a short trip when taking the public transit is sort of part of the fun.

There are plenty of safe places to stay near Metro. Along the orange line in Arlington is a good option, though you can also stay in the city proper and there are plenty of places walking distance from the Smithsonian or up near Dupont or near Chinatown/the Convention Center.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone!

So it sounds like Arlington area would be a place to look.

Are hotels near the smithsonian safe?

Too bad we won't make it for homeschool day at Mt Vernon. :laugh:

Do you have any scouts? When my kids were scouting age there was so e sort of badge or patch that they earned at Mt Vernon. It really guided our visit that day.

• Like 1

You mentioned that 3/4 of your children get carsick.  You'll want to plan for this on the Metro. It is pretty unpleasant for those of us who deal with motion sickness.  Definitely be sure that you choose seats facing forward, preferably near the front of the train.  The trains can be warm, winter or summer, so you'll want any prone children to remove jackets/layers.  (Or the trains can be cold, there's not much consistency!)  While the trains between DC and Arlington are underground, there are areas further out where they are aboveground, which was very hard, terribly nauseating, at night.

Have you tried "seabands," the motion sickness-prevention wristbands?  Small investment, big return.

But yes, you could get around easily. There's a great app with real time train timetables, and the Metro website makes it super easy to plan your trip.  If you don't know what to do at a station, I have always had great luck with the station attendants (unsure of title) near the turnstiles to be very, very helpful.

• Like 1

Fine without a car.  Reagan is on the orange line (pretty sure....going back 20 years to my college days).  That can get you to Alexandria, Crystal City, Foggy Bottom, etc.  As long as your hotel is either on the Metro or has a shuttle to a nearby Metro station you should be fine.  Can easily get to the Smithsonian and tons of other stuff via Metro.  If you want to go to Georgetown, can get off at Foggy Bottom and walk.

• Like 1

So I read the DC thread recently and it reaffirmed that I would really like to take the kids. (plus I've never been, my family trips were usually to CO,SD, etc.)

I have begun researching flights, etc.

IF DH can get 10 days or so, we might try to go. My main question is, could we do it without a car???? DH stresses driving in big cities (especially as we would need a 6 seater = minivan or SUV).

What area would be best to stay in? Safe, but near the metro, etc? Are there areas we should avoid walking/public transport?

My only experience with metros/public transport is in Europe. Is the one in DC as easy to use?

Do ubers take 6 people, including 2 6yos, if we got tired and wanted to use one??

If we wanted to take a day trip out of DC, are there trains or buses or should we just rent a car for a day? (I'm thinking Mt Vernon, etc.)

If we can't do this, I may consider a car trip near here (CA), but my kids get car sick (3/4 of them) so I would want frequent stops, and the trip to be the thing...ie no straight driving through to ___________.

I don't think anyone mentioned your uber question, but you can get an über for 6 people. We did on our last trip, at the very end, when we just wanted to get straight back to the hotel. Nice to know it is an option for a last resort when legs are too tired to make it back to the metro!

• Like 1

You mentioned that 3/4 of your children get carsick. You'll want to plan for this on the Metro. It is pretty unpleasant for those of us who deal with motion sickness. Definitely be sure that you choose seats facing forward, preferably near the front of the train. The trains can be warm, winter or summer, so you'll want any prone children to remove jackets/layers. (Or the trains can be cold, there's not much consistency!) While the trains between DC and Arlington are underground, there are areas further out where they are aboveground, which was very hard, terribly nauseating, at night.

Have you tried "seabands," the motion sickness-prevention wristbands? Small investment, big return.

But yes, you could get around easily. There's a great app with real time train timetables, and the Metro website makes it super easy to plan your trip. If you don't know what to do at a station, I have always had great luck with the station attendants (unsure of title) near the turnstiles to be very, very helpful.

Chewing gum helps me not to get as nauseated on buses and subways.

I live about 75 miles away from DC and usually park at a park and ride and take the metro in on the rare times we visit. Last summer I drove into DC to tour a few Cathedrals. Ay yi yi! It took me 20 minutes to go 4 miles and it was the middle of the day, not rush hour.

My friend used to live in DC and I remember telling her how far away everything is where I live and how I have to expect it to be an hour long round trip to get to the grocery store. She said, "Yeah, well everything I need here is within a 5 mile radius, but it's still an hour long round trip."

Traffic is really horrible and intimidating. I was used to Baltimore traffic, but DC was a whole new level. And the DC beltway is usually listed somewhere in the top 5 most dangerous roads in America. The main road at Ocean City MD is up there along with those 500 lane roads in LA, California.

So...here's another vote for no car. At most, rent one to get to Mt Vernon. We went there last spring and got thoroughly lost trying to get home. GPS got wonky or something. It couldn't quite figure out where we were. Ah, vacation fun!

• Like 1

P.S. The National Cathedral was ok, but we loved this one: http://www.nationalshrine.com/site/c.osJRKVPBJnH/b.4719297/k.BF65/Home.htm

We're not Catholic, but you don't have to be Catholic to appreciate outstanding beauty when you see it. And the tour was 1000 times better than the one at The National Cathedral, plus it was free AND there was free parking! Free parking! Oh, wait...you'll be on the metro, so it won't matter.

If your kids are into history then they'll love it. It's not old, but it feels like being in some old cathedral in Europe somewhere. It's the closest my kids have gotten to the spectacular buildings in Europe and they loved it. We went on the tour, but they also let you wander wherever you want to wander. We roamed all over (except the balcony.). And we happened to be there when the organ guy was practicing. Oh my word! I've never heard anything so loud before, and I've been to Metallica concerts. It was ear splitting, but soooooo wonderful. To stand in that HUGE cathedral with the organ booming around us. Ah--awesome memory.

• Like 1

Go to the bestparking.com website to check prices on garaging your car. Add hundreds to your budget. Think about taking it out of one garage and finding another every time you want to go somewhere. Skip the minivan. Just set up an uber account -- and make sure you know how it works -- for an emergency.

When I am in a city I don't know, I use google maps and click on the bus icon. It gives me options with bus numbers, metro times, etcetera. Much easier than trying to figure out printed material.

I have driven to Washington from my home state several times recently, stayed in downtown DC and have left my car in a garage while I am in DC.

I presume Washington has on/off tourist busses? We used one recently in Philly and it took us everywhere we wanted to go for one low fee.

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 1

We stayed there for a week not too long ago. It was great. We used "vacation rental by owner" and got a nice house near the Eastern Market metro stop. The cost was comparable to a hotel, but there was a full kitchen and a living area separate from the eating area and we didn't have to get two separate accommodations. The lady that runs it had maps and directions to local groceries, parks, restaurants, etc. We even participated in Lego time at the local library. All the main sights were close on the metro, although, of course, we couldn't do it all!

ETA - The house also came with on-street parking passes for both our cars, so parking them wasn't an issue, and didn't cost extra.

Edited by SusanC
  • Like 1

Go to the bestparking.com website to check prices on garaging your car. Add hundreds to your budget. Think about taking it out of one garage and finding another every time you want to go somewhere. Skip the minivan. Just set up an uber account -- and make sure you know how it works -- for an emergency.

She wasn't planning to drive in, but I'm agreeing that there are several parking websites where you can look at different options for parking in the city.  I have driven in several times and have had no problems, but I'm also very comfortable in big city driving and the gridlock that can come with it.  I wouldn't recommend it for the OP though!

We have stayed at the Holiday Inn at Rosslyn for <$100/night, which has free parking for guests.  It's just across the river from DC, and it's a block to the Metro.  Because it's so close to the city, the Metro fare is also less than if we had stayed further out.

Another suggestion for the OP:  If you plan to be riding the Metro more than a time or two, purchase Metro cards for each member in your family (they can't be shared). You'll get a discount on your fares, and you can easily add money to each card if you run out. Plus it's much easier to swipe the card than to pay fares each time you travel.

• Like 2

She wasn't planning to drive in, but I'm agreeing that there are several parking websites where you can look at different options for parking in the city. I have driven in several times and have had no problems, but I'm also very comfortable in big city driving and the gridlock that can come with it. I wouldn't recommend it for the OP though!

We have stayed at the Holiday Inn at Rosslyn for <$100/night, which has free parking for guests. It's just across the river from DC, and it's a block to the Metro. Because it's so close to the city, the Metro fare is also less than if we had stayed further out.

Another suggestion for the OP: If you plan to be riding the Metro more than a time or two, purchase Metro cards for each member in your family (they can't be shared). You'll get a discount on your fares, and you can easily add money to each card if you run out. Plus it's much easier to swipe the card than to pay fares each time you travel.

Oh, I think you may have misread my post, lol. I meant that op should look at parking prices, get sticker shock, and realize that having a van was NOT the best idea! (And even when I have a car in DC, I do not use it for the usual touristy things.... The only time I drive into DC is when I am staying with relatives in the suburbs.)

Sorry, I should have known that irony sometimes doesn't work well on the Internet.

I agree with all the other posters!

• Like 1

P.S. The National Cathedral was ok, but we loved this one: http://www.nationalshrine.com/site/c.osJRKVPBJnH/b.4719297/k.BF65/Home.htm

We're not Catholic, but you don't have to be Catholic to appreciate outstanding beauty when you see it. And the tour was 1000 times better than the one at The National Cathedral, plus it was free AND there was free parking! Free parking! Oh, wait...you'll be on the metro, so it won't matter.

If your kids are into history then they'll love it. It's not old, but it feels like being in some old cathedral in Europe somewhere. It's the closest my kids have gotten to the spectacular buildings in Europe and they loved it. We went on the tour, but they also let you wander wherever you want to wander. We roamed all over (except the balcony.). And we happened to be there when the organ guy was practicing. Oh my word! I've never heard anything so loud before, and I've been to Metallica concerts. It was ear splitting, but soooooo wonderful. To stand in that HUGE cathedral with the organ booming around us. Ah--awesome memory.

Maybe it's just me, but I've never been able to love that very large 70's Jesus... The Cathedral has a moon rock and a gargoyle shaped like Darth Vader and a pretty garden. The acoustics are better at the National Shrine though.

• Like 1

We went for a week atChristmas and had an amazing time! We actually chose a hotel based upon location because with my wheelchair we were worried about the Metro and Taxis (unnecessarily!). I was skeptical as it was a Holiday Inn (Washington Capitol) but it was quite nice. I think it was around $100 per night? It was literally a couple minutes walk (or roll, in this case!) from the Air and Space Museum, American Indian museum, and lots of others. Perfect location. It had a Starbucks attached, a CVS three doors down, and a big Taxi stand out front. Really, it couldn't have worked out better.Chinatown was within walking distance with loads of restaurants, as were the Mall and monuments. Really, you could walk to just about everything although you could also do public transport if you wanted. The hotel gave us daily lists of happenings and times from all the major attractions/sites.

Also, the concierge deal would happily phone for a van taxi as the ones out front usually were not large enough for my chair (or a larger family) if necessary. We did this to the airport (Reagan was only about $10 to go!) and to the zoo one day as we were in a hurry:)

Metro was easily accessible too.

Edited by Kerileanne99
  • Like 3

I believe there are a few hotels in Alexandria that have a shuttle for the airport, Mt.Vernon, and the Metro.  That might be worth looking into.  Even if the hotel costs a little more it might be cheaper than parking or vehicle rentals.  It would certainly be less stressful.  Also, something like a Residents Inn always saves me money in the long run because I have a kitchen.  Of all cities, I think DC is the most practical for picnics.  A lot of the museum food just isn't very good and it's definitely overpriced. People often don't realize that they won't just happen upon a McDonalds on the mall and the food trucks aren't as cheap as you'd imagine.  Unless I want to spring for food at the American Indian Museum, or plan do do something expensive, I always take a picnic to DC so I don't have to plan my meandering around people's stomachs. 

• Like 1

When I am in a city I don't know, I use google maps and click on the bus icon. It gives me options with bus numbers, metro times, etcetera. Much easier than trying to figure out printed material.

I have driven to Washington from my home state several times recently, stayed in downtown DC and have left my car in a garage while I am in DC.

I presume Washington has on/off tourist busses? We used one recently in Philly and it took us everywhere we wanted to go for one low fee.

Yes, the cost of parking was surprising (and not in a good way)!   I think there are cheaper places to park but after all the chaos in getting there, we went with the hotel valet for convenience.  It was around $50 a day from what I can remember!  We stayed near the White House and while it was nice, I think it added to the walking.  We ended up taking cabs back to our place because it was freezing cold.  We only took the car out once to go to Mt. Vernon.  Next time I'd probably stay somewhere that has quick access to the metro because that will take you right to the museums and close to the monuments, which is where you will spend most of your time.  Despite the challenges, it was still a good trip and I want to go back! 

• Like 2

Wow! Thanks guys ! So much good info! 

So next question, I'm not finding hotels that will let 6 stay in 1 room??? Any Embassy Suites or the like? 2 beds would work ok, but adding a fold out couch would be a big help.

If we have to get 2 rooms, then a airbnb or the like might be cheaper.

I'm looking at late march, early april dates and a lot of hotels are sold out or only have minimal rooms.

So next question, I'm not finding hotels that will let 6 stay in 1 room??? Any Embassy Suites or the like? 2 beds would work ok, but adding a fold out couch would be a big help.

I'm looking at late march, early april dates and a lot of hotels are sold out or only have minimal rooms.

It's hard to find a hotel that allows 6 in a room in the US.  Airbnb or vbro.com or something like that is often a better option when you have more kids.  

Late March is the cherry blossom festival and it's much harder to find a place to stay then.  Can you adjust your dates at all? Later in April might be better.

• Like 1

I believe there are a few hotels in Alexandria that have a shuttle for the airport, Mt.Vernon, and the Metro. That might be worth looking into. Even if the hotel costs a little more it might be cheaper than parking or vehicle rentals. It would certainly be less stressful. Also, something like a Residents Inn always saves me money in the long run because I have a kitchen. Of all cities, I think DC is the most practical for picnics. A lot of the museum food just isn't very good and it's definitely overpriced. People often don't realize that they won't just happen upon a McDonalds on the mall and the food trucks aren't as cheap as you'd imagine. Unless I want to spring for food at the American Indian Museum, or plan do do something expensive, I always take a picnic to DC so I don't have to plan my meandering around people's stomachs.

I have a technique that works for me -- enlarging a google map and checking out menus for food places. For example, Ds was playing chess for 5 days in a hotel in Alexandria. We found a few places, like an Italian deli with giant subs, that offered real bargains. We looked ahead of time, because Ds was going to be on his own, and I insisted on a budget. Or I google something like diner breakfast near xyz, then check online menus.

But you are right. Wandering around hoping a food place will show is frustrating. And the museum prices are astounding. Before I used google so much, we once ended up in the McDonalds in Air & Space. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Who knew mcD prices could go so high?

• Like 2

I know this doesn't work for everyone, but we rely on Subway when we're in DC.  I look up beforehand where they are (and there are a reasonable number in DC with some are near tourist areas) and my teenage boy can get enough to eat there for not too much money.  We get three times as much food for the same amount of money at a Smithsonian museum and I can put a lot of vegetables on my sandwich which works for me.

• Like 2

We can adjust the dates some. Maybe later in April.

If you recall my thread about DH getting sick and his cancelled trip to see his mom...well... we are going to rebook him to go in a couple weeks and this would be for after he gets back but before a big project ties him up at work until October. And I DO NOT want to go in summer when school is out. :laugh:

I found some suites that also have a kitchen, so that would help. Where do people picnic usually??? Just on the lawn in the mall??? Or are there designated spots/areas??

And we only eat halal, so McDs wouldn't be on our list anyways, I just googled halal restaurants in DC and there are a couple Food Trucks near the mall that are on the list  :hurray: .

If you recall my thread about DH getting sick and his cancelled trip to see his mom...well... we are going to rebook him to go in a couple weeks and this would be for after he gets back but before a big project ties him up at work until October. And I DO NOT want to go in summer when school is out. :laugh:

I found some suites that also have a kitchen, so that would help. Where do people picnic usually??? Just on the lawn in the mall??? Or are there designated spots/areas??

And we only eat halal, so McDs wouldn't be on our list anyways, I just googled halal restaurants in DC and there are a couple Food Trucks near the mall that are on the list :hurray: .

I don't know if this would work for halal -- vegetarian options at Ethiopian restaurants. A lot of Ethiopian restaurants serve vegetarian meals during Lent (Coptic calendar). I know Washington is rich in Ethiopian restaurants, but not sure how well the Muslim part of Ethiopia is represented, restaurant-wise. Someone who lives there could tell you better than I could.

FYI, There is a giant mosque/ Islamic center on Massachusetts Ave.

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 1

Yes, you can find plenty of halal options. They're all over the place, including little street stands and food trucks. I think most people wouldn't notice them because they usually just say halal in Arabic rather than in English too. That is one food restriction that's easy to deal with here. :)

If you have a kitchen, then I'd eat at the apartment for breakfast and make something to take with us for lunch and then eat back at the apartment for dinner, generally. There aren't a lot of grocery stores right downtown but there are grocery stores everywhere else, including along Metro stops.

• Like 3

The Islamic Center, mentioned above, is really pretty too - we took a cool tour there once where they talked about how all the different tiles and art and decor was contributed by different Islamic nations from all over the world.

A bunch of the food trucks are halal. I would even wager a bet that every single food truck line up of more than four or five trucks will feature one halal option. There are several kebab ones and a lot of them are part of one of a couple of companies.

• Like 2

I don't know if this would work for halal -- vegetarian options at Ethiopian restaurants. A lot of Ethiopian restaurants serve vegetarian meals during Lent (Coptic calendar). I know Washington is rich in Ethiopian restaurants, but not sure how well the Muslim part of Ethiopia is represented, restaurant-wise. Someone who lives there could tell you better than I could.

FYI, There is a giant mosque/ Islamic center on Massachusetts Ave.

Yes, one of my best friends is Ethopian and lives just outside DC. She works for one of the embassies. So we will see her and I am sure she will point out some shops/restaurants. (although nothing will beat her mom's cooking  :drool5: . She always brings a big tray of something yummy when she visits us :001_tt1: . She lives just a few miles from us. )

• Like 1

For Halal food-

We are vegetarian, very nearly vegan. We ate some really great food in DC! Most vegetarian food and all vegan food should be fine in addition to the other suggestions

For a quick lunch we ate at a place called Sweetgreen, and even vegan food trucks.

We ate at the Mellow Mushroom after the zoo as well. We have one in Austin, so knew that one would be good.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Homewood Suites, Hyatt Place, and Embassy Suites will all let you have six in a room.  We usually end up with two queen or double beds and then a sofa bed.  Bonus is that they have a kitchen which saves on food.

• Like 1

And we only eat halal, so McDs wouldn't be on our list anyways, I just googled halal restaurants in DC and there are a couple Food Trucks near the mall that are on the list :hurray: .

Since you put it in all caps, be aware that springtime is when the buses arrive and everyone takes their Big D.C. class field trip. You won't avoid throngs of kids by avoiding summer.

We just picnic on the lawn. I pack a blanket with my picnic and either spread it on the ground or we just find some benches or a fountain. We've never been the only ones dining al fresco.

• Like 1

Been twice in the last 3 years, and although we drove there from SC, once there we parked the car at the hotel and never moved it. We stayed in Arlington the first time and downtown (Embassy Suites) the second, both near Metro stations. The Metro in DC is great, clean and easy to use. Don't know about Uber, but I would recommend planning your days so that you stay at one end of the Mall or the other on any given day. My DSs favorite (?) stories are the days that I would drag them all the way from the Jefferson Memorial (one end of the Mall) to the Library of Congress at the other end.

• Like 1