Menu

Bullet Journal Layout Help

DragonFaerie

I am at a loss.  I need some bullet journal layout suggestions.  I’m an adjunct instructor for a couple of colleges.  I will be teaching six courses next term, and I’m trying to figure out a way to keep up with what needs to be done for each course.  I have a desk calendar/planner where I write down my teaching schedule, family activities and appointments, etc. for the week, but there isn’t enough room in that to write down details.  For example, I might need to grade papers for course A, do lesson plans for courses B and C, post an announcement in course D, email a couple of students in course E, etc. but I cannot figure out a good way to keep track.  Some things might need to be on a list for the week while other things might need to be done on a certain day. 

I cannot stand the idea of just writing a random list.  I really need it to be organized at least by course, and it would need to be organized by week, but then how would I do that?  And what would I do on days when I don’t need to do anything for one course but I have several things to do for another?  I’m really organized (and pretty particular about things). I wouldn’t be able to stand having a list for Course B and then needing to add in something for Course A later and not have it in the proper order, for example.  Or having a list for a course and then having to add something to the end that really should be done before something else.  So really, basic lists just don’t work for me.  I just cannot seem to come up with a good layout/format/plan for how to manage this.  Any suggestions?  Pictures would be awesome, if you’ve got ‘em, too.

• Like 1

I am at a loss.  I need some bullet journal layout suggestions.  I’m an adjunct instructor for a couple of colleges.  I will be teaching six courses next term, and I’m trying to figure out a way to keep up with what needs to be done for each course.  I have a desk calendar/planner where I write down my teaching schedule, family activities and appointments, etc. for the week, but there isn’t enough room in that to write down details.  For example, I might need to grade papers for course A, do lesson plans for courses B and C, post an announcement in course D, email a couple of students in course E, etc. but I cannot figure out a good way to keep track.  Some things might need to be on a list for the week while other things might need to be done on a certain day. 

I cannot stand the idea of just writing a random list.  I really need it to be organized at least by course, and it would need to be organized by week, but then how would I do that?  And what would I do on days when I don’t need to do anything for one course but I have several things to do for another?  I’m really organized (and pretty particular about things). I wouldn’t be able to stand having a list for Course B and then needing to add in something for Course A later and not have it in the proper order, for example.  Or having a list for a course and then having to add something to the end that really should be done before something else.  So really, basic lists just don’t work for me.  I just cannot seem to come up with a good layout/format/plan for how to manage this.  Any suggestions?  Pictures would be awesome, if you’ve got ‘em, too.

I'm subbing. I have two jobs plus volunteering. It's hectic. One thing I use are different symbols for each area but I am deeply unhappy with this method. It's not tidy enough. I tried dividing the page and using a larger book but then I wanted more variability. Then I tried a spiral method... don't ask, LOL.

I'm subbing. I have two jobs plus volunteering. It's hectic. One thing I use are different symbols for each area but I am deeply unhappy with this method. It's not tidy enough. I tried dividing the page and using a larger book but then I wanted more variability. Then I tried a spiral method... don't ask, LOL.

My first thought was dividing a page (or a two-page spread) into sections, but then it would annoy me greatly to end up with big empty blocks when I didn't have anything for a particular class and messy, overstuffed blocks when I had a lot for another class.  But I also won't always know beforehand what I might need to do for each class.  

This is actually why I don't do a bullet journal, as much as I love the idea of it. I need to be able to fill in weeks in advance and I feel like it's a waste of time for me to make multiple weekly pages for months at a time when there are companies who will do all that work for me.

You might use a format that has 1 week spread over 2 pages, then one axis be the days of the week and the other be your classes. You could also leave a column for more listy type tasks.

Not too helpful, sorry.

If you're interested in a paper planner, Plum Planners on Etsy.com has a lot of great customization options.

• Like 1

Would a daily planner work - or weekly?

Divide page into space for the six courses. During weeks when one course needs less prep than others, that section would be blank or have less notes than at other times.

If you tend to write a lot like I do, I'd recommend the larger size Franklin Covey or any brand but larger than the 8.5 by 5.5.

I do a combo method that is sort of bullet type and then free form as well. After all, it needs to work for you!

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1

I've been there Slache. ;)

As much as I love bullet journaling, I don't know if I would use it to plan six courses like that, especially if you wanted to plan ahead. That's kind of the weakness of the bullet journal. I'd use some other planner that had lots of space and I'd color code like crazy, because I love color coding. ;) I'd still use bullet journal style to do items, so in the end, it would be a kind of combination method.

• Like 2

I've been there Slache. ;)

As much as I love bullet journaling, I don't know if I would use it to plan six courses like that, especially if you wanted to plan ahead. That's kind of the weakness of the bullet journal. I'd use some other planner that had lots of space and I'd color code like crazy, because I love color coding. ;) I'd still use bullet journal style to do items, so in the end, it would be a kind of combination method.

I don't see it as a weakness of a bullet journal but rather of being rigid about needing task lists to be organized by category/subject and complicating something that's actually rather simple to accomplish. ;)

I keep a planner in addition to my bullet journals.  Yes, plural.  I use the thin 3 pack softcover moleskines with grid paper.  I use one for menu planning, one for school planning and one for general, household type things.  Everything else goes in my planner and/or phone's calendar that syncs with dh's.  

• Like 1

I only teach two little Latin classes at a co-op, but I'll give you my method for what its worth.  I have a binder for each course.  They each have 4 components:  1) handouts to give the kids 2) papers received from kids 3) A log to mark all received homework, quizzes (which are on line), and test scores, 3) my class plans (with the full syllabus the first item in that section).

My class plans are simply lists I type out in word before class, three hole punch and put into my binder.  I have this open during class to refer to.  I cross out things as I move through the items, jot in notes, etc.  When I go to plan the next class I can quick refer to it to see things like if I needed to give special attention to a student or if we didn't quite finish a topic or I felt it needed more clarification, practice or review.  

The handouts never fit in anything in the binder so I just tuck them and then try to remember not to let them all fall out when I pick the binder up!

I use the pockets in the binder to keep homework to be checked.  If you need more room, there are pocket folder inserts you can stick in the binder.

For my records chart I just found a free place on line which had teacher planning pages and I printed out a bunch.

For me it is very simple and efficient.

Also, I made the binders different colors, so I know automatically which one to reach for, for which class.  Six classes is a lot!  I can see the rainbow of binders I would have if I were teaching six classes!

Edited by Faithr
  • Like 2

I don't see it as a weakness of a bullet journal but rather of being rigid about needing task lists to be organized by category/subject and complicating something that's actually rather simple to accomplish. ;)

So how would you accomplish it? I already have a big notebook that I use when I'm planning and a folder in which I keep handouts, etc. What I need is one place where I can keep track of things that need to be done for each class.

I'm afraid if I just use one big list with icons or color-coding for each class, I'll miss something because it's mixed in with other things.

Notebook with divider tabs?

Master list/calendar in the front, color coordinated tabs with sections describing details for each class/segment of life.

So master list and calendar might read Prep Class A. and in the tabbed sections, the detailed list for what prepping class A entails is right there.

Personally, I need everything in ONE big notebook or I'll lose/forget stuff.

Notebook with divider tabs?

Master list/calendar in the front, color coordinated tabs with sections describing details for each class/segment of life.

So master list and calendar might read Prep Class A. and in the tabbed sections, the detailed list for what prepping class A entails is right there.

Personally, I need everything in ONE big notebook or I'll lose/forget stuff.

I already do this for the actual planning. What I'm trying to figure out is more how to manage a to-do list, some way to keep track of various tasks for each class in a single place but without just having a jumbled list.  So for example:

Class A- email Sally about her paper

Class C- find handout to go with Friday's class

Class D- post announcement for class to bring X with them next week

Class A- adjust order of questions on next week's quiz

Class B- create extra credit assignment

Class C- grade essays

Class B- grade quizzes

By just having one list, I'd be bouncing from class to class trying to work through everything. But skipping through the list and trying to get all the Class A items might result in my missing something.  I'm thinking the divided pages might be the only way, despite ending up with blank spaces and over-full spaces.

I have made myself a word template of weekly recurring tasks (like: make lecture quiz, email graders, harvest online grades, post solutions, email TAs, copy handouts) for my courses, broken down by category of task and day of the week, so I can check off things as they get done. I print a page for each week of the semester. At the bottom, I have a category "other" which I fill in by hand.

For exam weeks, I have a special Exam Week Checklist that has all the extra tasks related to tests.

For my different classes, I have manila folders for each day of the week on which the class meets, for homework, for quizzes, and one labeled "leftover assignments of missing people". They are color coded by class. Anything that needs to be copied is on a stack "to be copied". Copies go into the daily folder when done.

ETA: I found the only way to deal with email to do it right away, not put on a list for later.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

For me I would standardize a weekly checklist for each course. Course-customized (because courses can differ) a checklist would say something like:

Class A

Teaching day: Friday Mornings

Week (....) of 12

[ ] Mo: Pre-prep

[ ] Mo: Last session's attendance recorded

[ ] Mo: Last session's marking (# items: ____)

[ ] (...) Any Reading? Research? __________

[ ] Tu: Lesson Plan Complete

[ ] Th: Visuals Complete (screen)

[ ] Th: Papers / Handouts (# of items: _____)

[ ] Th: Objects (# of items: _____)

[ ] (...) Calls & Comms: __________________

[ ] (...) Anything else? ___________________

I would start each list with Monday, not each list with pre-prep. I'd staple the 6 checklists together as a complete week. I'd print a few weeks' worth, but not be afraid to modify and re-print based on what I learn by my own use.

My code is that I use a checkmark if the task is completely completed, a slash similar to a check mark if I have evaluated-and-decided that task is not in need of completion, so completed tasks and no-need tasks look very similar. Only outstanding or in-progress tasks draw my attention.

Edited by bolt.
  • Like 2

I already do this for the actual planning. What I'm trying to figure out is more how to manage a to-do list, some way to keep track of various tasks for each class in a single place but without just having a jumbled list.  So for example:

Class C- grade essays

Class B- grade quizzes

By just having one list, I'd be bouncing from class to class trying to work through everything. But skipping through the list and trying to get all the Class A items might result in my missing something.  I'm thinking the divided pages might be the only way, despite ending up with blank spaces and over-full spaces.

You already have a master planner if I'm understanding correctly. If it were me, I'd list everything I need to do today (or this week or this month, depending on which type of bullet journal page I were working on) and check them off as I go. I wouldn't miss anything because it's easy to see what tasks have and have not been completed. A bullet journal daily page isn't a random list—it's just organized by date rather than subject.

• Like 1

Since you have 6 classes, what about a 2 page horizontal week layout? Ignore the week days and use one space for each class, and the leftover one for incidental notes? It would keep all your class stuff grouped by class  and you can see all the lists at once - and use one for each day if needed. Etsy has a ton of printables in this style so you can print them as needed....or just lay one out in excel.  I ended up designing my own planner pages to keep track of class work so I could get them just as I wanted :)

Since you have 6 classes, what about a 2 page horizontal week layout? Ignore the week days and use one space for each class, and the leftover one for incidental notes? It would keep all your class stuff grouped by class  and you can see all the lists at once - and use one for each day if needed. Etsy has a ton of printables in this style so you can print them as needed....or just lay one out in excel.  I ended up designing my own planner pages to keep track of class work so I could get them just as I wanted :)

I think I'm going to end up doing something like this.  It just seems the simplest solution.

• Like 1

I already do this for the actual planning. What I'm trying to figure out is more how to manage a to-do list, some way to keep track of various tasks for each class in a single place but without just having a jumbled list. So for example:

Class C- grade essays

Class B- grade quizzes

By just having one list, I'd be bouncing from class to class trying to work through everything. But skipping through the list and trying to get all the Class A items might result in my missing something. I'm thinking the divided pages might be the only way, despite ending up with blank spaces and over-full spaces.

This would be the best method for me. Seeing an over-full space might stress me out, but I wouldn't mind empty spaces. It would be a mini stress release to see that I'm all caught up for at least one class.

Good luck! That's a lot to manage.

• Like 1

I don't need it at the moment, but when I needed to juggle multiple areas of responsibility--I'll call them facets--during several years that were pretty intense, I had a week-at-a-glance 8.5 x 11" planner that I used in conjunction with colored post-it notes in the 3 x 4" size.

Each facet (area of responsibility) had its own color of matching post-its, highlighter and post-it flag. This allowed me to mark other things in the planner and/or highlight them by color-coded facet.

I stocked my planner with one post-it sheet for each facet pre-stuck to the 2 page spread for each week, so that there was already a sticky for each facet on a week.  I could pencil in the big things that I knew of ahead of time on the appropriate sticky. 

Each week, I'd use the sticky (or stickies) to make lists of what needed to be done.  It there were meetings or appointments, or conversations I need to have, I could use the highlighter or flag to mark it during the day.  As I made lists and completed tasks, I could cross them off the stickies, or rewrite them on another stickie, or on the next week's stickie.  The key was that the stickies were re-writable and moveable.

I would also do flexible lesson planning with post-its when I was teaching co-op, with one week's material covered (highlighted) in an hour.  Every class period had its own piece of cardstock in my notebook, and then I'd lesson plan with each topic/activity/concept on a tiny sticky note.  I could rearrange the stickies on the cardstock until I was happy with the way I wanted to present things, and if I forgot something, I could move it to the cardstock for our next class.  I also took to making two columns on the back of each cardstock class plan, one for things I wanted to review/mention in the mid-week email between classes, and one for things I wanted to be sure to review or cover in the next class.  I'd simply move the stickies into one or another column.

OP, all the best finding something that meets your needs!

Edited by Halftime Hope
  • Like 1