Menu

Your Perfect Playroom

medawyn

If you could create anything for a playroom - size and budget being no obstacle - what would you do?

I'm trying to think big (even though we will, of course, have both size and budget restraints) and also grow with me.  Mine are still little right now (1 and 2.5), but I want to create a flexible space, both for having friends with older sibs visit and because mine will, inevitably, grow up.

Lay your wildest playroom fantasies on me!

My house doesn't have a playroom, but my fantasy playroom would have: indoor playground equipment. Not those tiny toddler slides, but we have a friend who has one of those trapeze bars, trampoline, and a rock climbing wall in their basement. We have a friend who has monkey bars in their basement. We have another friend who has a gymnast who has a balance beam in her basement. All of these things are super cool, in my opinion. I like the aesthetic of those ikea cube shelves with only one toy in it or a box with sets. I like those toddler bookshelves that have the cover facing out. I have a friend who used an old, tall coffee table and bought several small chairs so friends could all work at a table together, and I loved doing art projects at her house with my kids. I like couches or good seating for adults in playrooms, as adults will spend a lot of time in there, too. I like playrooms where the dress up clothes are displayed on hooks. I like playrooms with cozy reading nooks: we have a friend who has a hammock swing right next to a bookshelf, and it looks so inviting! We have a train table, and my kids have loved it. When I no longer have a toddler in the house, I would love to turn it into a lego table. If space/cost wasn't an issue, I'd have both to accommodate a large age spread. 

Edited by MrsWeasley
  • Like 2

My perfect playroom would have to be a room off the living room with a door that could stay open or be shut.  I know so many people who build fantastic playrooms but the kids never want to be in them. Most little kids want to be close with mom so room location would be as important to me as room layout and toys.  

• Like 4

My perfect playroom would have to be a room off the living room with a door that could stay open or be shut. I know so many people who build fantastic playrooms but the kids never want to be in them. Most little kids want to be close with mom so room location would be as important to me as room layout and toys.

:iagree:

Also, so many play rooms are dark or cold or have no cushion under the carpet because of expense. Why have it if no one will want to play in it?

• Like 1

We built our loft climber in the basement playroom 2 years ago when my boys were 4, 2 and newborn. It has served us very well. We have since added a rock wall down there and a steering wheel on the wall on top of the loft. We have IKEA cube shelves, some large plastic toy boxes to facilitate clean up of sets of toys and several sturdy metal book shelves with Sterilite tubs which allow the kids to easily flip through and re shelve books. We also have a futon down there which provides comfy seating and serves as a guest bed.

http://turning-mirrors-into-windows.blogspot.com/2013/09/our-new-basement-loft-play-area.html

Wendy

• Like 3

Well, mine would have a swing or hammock in one corner, a small table in the middle, a car rug toward the door, and two sets of bookshelves - one for toys along one wall, one for books along the other.  In the back corner would be a dollhouse on a small riser.

The important thing for me would be a non-overwhelming area, something that looks inviting but also looks clean and sharp, too.  Kids seem to do better with care and cleanliness when the environment doesn't look busy during off times.  I'd want it to be able to grow with the kids, too, so eventually the small table would be replaced by a larger one.  The toys would be replaced by board games, logic games (all on individual trays instead of in boxes), and craft kits.  The car mat by a furrier one with low beanbag chairs sitting around an ottoman.

• Like 1

A climbing wall is a recurring theme when we talk playroom

My house doesn't have a playroom, but my fantasy playroom would have: indoor playground equipment. Not those tiny toddler slides, but we have a friend who has one of those trapeze bars, trampoline, and a rock climbing wall in their basement. 

We have since added a rock wall down there and a steering wheel on the wall on top of the loft. guest bed.

http://turning-mirrors-into-windows.blogspot.com/2013/09/our-new-basement-loft-play-area.html

Wendy

I'm sensing a theme here!  Considering my 1 year old will climb anything she can reach, I guess I should start researching rock walls.  

And Wendy, that loft is amazing!

We have a family room and fifth bedroom in the basement. The fifth bedroom is the big boys' playroom. I'm going to turn the door into a Dutch door so the little ones can't get in, but the big boys aren't completely separated. That room has a long table for Lego building and the toys with little parts.

The family room will have a wall of Kallax shelving, couches, train table, small climber, and an easel. The hallway into the family room will have a chalkboard section and a large metal piece for magnets. I'd like to get a swing for one of the areas, just not sure which. It's still a work in progress!

My dream playroom would have a good sensory area with a tumbling mat floor, swing, large bean bags, large balls, and a mini trampoline. I like the idea of the climbing wall, too. It would also have a quiet corner with soft seating, the kind of bookcases that display the books facing out, and maybe some other calm activities. I'd have another corner for art/craft play with a small table and all sorts of art stuff. Puzzles would be near here so they could use the table. The remaining corner of the room would have open floor area for play with all the toys in bins and cubbies along the wall.

Love the ideas.

A church we attended once has a youth room I would love to copy.

There was a dividing "wall". On the backside of the wall was a large climbing net that went up maybe 7 feet to an opening. The opening was maybe 4'square. Once into the opening you jumped down onto a very thick cushion (it was probably 3-4' thick. Next to this, they had a rock wall (on the same side of the wall as the net) that went to an opening with a large slide. .

In my one day playroom, I want a space for legos AND space to display models that are built AND that those models are easy to move around for play.

My perfect playroom is soundproof and had a door that closes.

The last house we lived in had an indoor rifle range.  I guess the old owner had been a hunter.  Anyway, it ran the length of the house and it was completely soundproof.  There was a big steel door as well.  

We turned it into our Lego room.

If a kid was down at one end of the room you could barely hear him from the other end and you couldn't hear them at all from outside of the room - even though we rarely closed the door.  

I miss that room...

• Like 2

60" trampoline, swing (disk swing or hammock), some sort of small loft area in a deep closet or corner (not too high). Closet with a lock on it for toys (to prevent them from dumping every toy out, or using puzzle boxes, etc for climbing platforms) Open space. Old couch cushions or something similar to jump on add build with. A climbing wall sounds great in theory, but I suspect my boys who scramble up the sides of doorframes and the swingset chains on the 10' tall swingset at the park like they are nothing would be bored with it quickly. Either that or they'd climb up to the top and jump down and break bones.

(This is what we're hopefully going to do with one bedroom soon. I just wish it were bigger...and didn't have the built-in wall-to-wall bookshelves with most of our books in there.)

• Like 2

An area for water, like a drain in the floor and non slip flooring. For a water table when they are little, then maybe it could be an easy to clean messy art/science place when they are bigger. So far my kids have loved the water table from age six months to three years and can play for an hour at least with no momma needed.

I love googling " playroom " and drooling over some of the pics! â˜ºï¸ But I'm realizing that most normal kids don't keep their playroom looking like those pics, so it'd be a constant battle trying to keep it looking neat and like a fun place to play. So my solution is to have a play shelf (like the IKEA cube shelving) away from the playroom with all the toys organized there. My playroom would be open the living room, but have a way to gate them in or delineate the space somehow. I'd rotate the toys there. Plus, the mainstays would be a nice play kitchen and a light table. And a kid sized table for puzzles and such. Lots of natural light. And a nice big rug if you have hard floors. I also find that my children don't like to be far from me holed up in a playroom, even if it is an awesome space, so for me a bedroom or office space wouldn't work. And as far as rock walls and rings or swings in the house, I think my children would probably get too wild with that and drive me nuts (or break something)! So I'd rather keep that stuff outside. 😋 As for growing with them, I find my older kids would not use a playroom, but would rather bring a box of Legos to their own room, play outside or sit and read a book.

Edited by Jennifer132
  • Like 1

The last house we lived in had an indoor rifle range.  I guess the old owner had been a hunter.  Anyway, it ran the length of the house and it was completely soundproof.  There was a big steel door as well.  

We turned it into our Lego room.

If a kid was down at one end of the room you could barely hear him from the other end and you couldn't hear them at all from outside of the room - even though we rarely closed the door.  

I miss that room...

I'm not sure I would ever move.  You might have to dynamite me out of the house.  DH could play down there when the kids are grown  :lol:

Soundproof walls, a big comfy chair, an enormous bookshelf filled to overflowing, a never-ending supply of chocolate, an espresso maker, a door that locks from the inside.

Oh.  Wait.  You mean a playroom for the kids?!?   :D

This is a great thread, we are planning our playroom, too.  It's fun reading all the ideas.  We are attempting to create a playroom that will grow with the kids, as one of them is 11 already.  One thing I haven't seen mentioned is an invention area.  We have a  sort of alcove to one side, and have a large work table for it.  We're putting up pegboard, with various kid-safe tools and supplies for creating *whatever*... I'm envisioning many, many Rube Goldberg machines.  We also have to have a Lego area and a Playmobil area.  

• Like 1