Menu

Mommy brain forever??

enchantedhome

My kiddos are 8 and 6, and while I had serious mommy brain when they were tiny and through the nursing years, I'm finding I'm still sort of…fuzzy. It's been 4 years since I was nursing someone, so I have no hormonal excuse:)

Is this a lifelong brain change? I feel like I can't dive deep into thinking, my brain feels fuzzy, it's like I'm surface thinking and I feel kinda dumb. Lol. I'm sure social media and computer use plays into this. Do you experience this too? Any thoughts on how to get back some of that smart brain feeling I used to have? I do read challenging books, but I also find that I can't read for long before my brain wanders, I feel tired, or I realize I'm not "getting it." I got an MA before kids, so I know there's a smart woman in there somewhere!

Other thoughts: is this a function of being distracted and busy? Tired? Food issue?

Would love to hear what you think!

I have noticed this too. I think some of it is hormonal, some of it is just giving so much of myself up to the little mundane tasks of running a house, and some of it is probably because of letting technology do the work for me (not sure if this is a good or a bad thing).

To combat the fog, I have changed my diet, exercise more frequently, try to always have at least one challenging book going, and I seek out friends who challenge me intellectually.  

I do actually miss having a brain that functions normally and hope I can revive it a little bit over time. I am all ears if others have suggestions. 

Have you had a full thyroid panel done recently? Brain fog is commonly listed as a symptom of hypothyroidism, and I've read that hypothyroidism is very common in women after having children. I know my mental abilities tanked big time when my thyroid (and adrenals) crashed a couple years ago. There's a website called stopthethyroidmadness.com that I've found to have good and accurate info on what to test and how to properly interpret the results.

• Like 1

Have you had a full thyroid panel done recently? Brain fog is commonly listed as a symptom of hypothyroidism, and I've read that hypothyroidism is very common in women after having children. I know my mental abilities tanked big time when my thyroid (and adrenals) crashed a couple years ago. There's a website called stopthethyroidmadness.com that I've found to have good and accurate info on what to test and how to properly interpret the results.

I did actually, over the summer. I went in complaining of this issue, and my dr. ran the tests for me. Everything in normal range. She sort of shrugged her shoulders and said "It's normal to feel tired." For me, it's the foggy brain in conjunction with a huge energy drop after lunch. After that, forget any intellectual work. I'm just not fully "there."

Well...I have an adult daughter, so I've been at this gig post-infancy for some time...and my nouns have never returned. 

"Honey, when you go to the shops, can you buy me some....you know...white stuff....baking....the stuff we make cakes with..."

"Flour ?"

"Flour! Yes! Flour".

It's a worry.

PS It hasn't stopped me from going back to university and doing OK there, so I prefer to think of it as cognitive rearrangement and not cognitive impairment! I honestly think it's a multi-tasking thing - thinking of a million things at one - slowing down and being more mindful would probably help.

Yep, totally. I was hoping it would go away after ds but he's 5 and it ain't looking good. I really do think it has a lot to do with the demands of life at this stage. I often say I have to do all the thinking for four people.

• Like 1

Following along for ideas...

Noooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol: My immediate response to that post involved some curse words, as my cycles are starting to get wonky already. Last cycle, 22 days. This cycle...34 days and counting.

I was going to ask about sleep as well. Are you getting enough, and is it good quality sleep?

My nouns are disappearing as well--everyone in the immediate family knows how to play the "What's mom talking about this time?!" game--and I too find myself unable to pay attention when reading or listening to audiobooks. I agree that a big chunk of it is due to the sheer amount of information we're required to keep in our heads. Homeschooling, working, parenting, medical management for the whole family, probably financial management for the whole family, social management for the whole family, cleaning, pet care, schedules, self-care, self-improvement...did you have to worry about even half of this stuff when you were younger? And what you did have to worry about, you only had to manage for one person!

Now, that said, I do find I do a bit better when I'm taking my D and B vitamins. I keep failing at fish oil, because it make burp nastily and I can't deal, but I consistently hear good things. And really, sleep. Good sleep. And not from 3 a.m. to 10 a.m., but from, say, 11 p.m., to 7 a.m. 

And caffeine. 

• Like 3

My kiddos are 8 and 6, and while I had serious mommy brain when they were tiny and through the nursing years, I'm finding I'm still sort of…fuzzy. It's been 4 years since I was nursing someone, so I have no hormonal excuse:)

Is this a lifelong brain change? I feel like I can't dive deep into thinking, my brain feels fuzzy, it's like I'm surface thinking and I feel kinda dumb. Lol. I'm sure social media and computer use plays into this. Do you experience this too? Any thoughts on how to get back some of that smart brain feeling I used to have? I do read challenging books, but I also find that I can't read for long before my brain wanders, I feel tired, or I realize I'm not "getting it." I got an MA before kids, so I know there's a smart woman in there somewhere!

Other thoughts: is this a function of being distracted and busy? Tired? Food issue?

How are your vitamin b levels? When mine are in trouble I know by other signs and it generally seems to be accompanied by an overall increase in brain fog.

Yes to social media and computer use being a major factor. I think our increasing tendency to multi-task while using electronics is an issue too. Going back to studying helped a lot with getting my brain functioning again (although stress levels skyrocketed).

I should add, I don't believe it's really Mommy brain or age related. My 15 year old complained of the same type of symptoms and eventually asked to see a doctor. All the basic blood tests came up clear. I believe the key will lie in more exercise, less electronics and less multi-tasking, but those aren't nearly as easy to fix as taking iron tablets or whatever else the doctor might have suggested... And it's really, really difficult to motivate yourself to make changes when you're already feeling 'fuzzy'. I need an accountability partner!

• Like 1

I think humans are designed to respond to challenge from external forces. When I was home with young children, the challenge was to cope, with humor and patience. I did a good job at that, but did feel mommy brain and worried about whether I was losing my mental edge. Even teaching hard subjects (and learning a great deal) was not a panacea.

After 12 years out of the work force, I am working in a job that is mentally demanding and dead line oriented. My brain is pretty well kicked in again, and in some ways, I feel young.

Edited by Danestress
  • Like 1

Yes to social media and computer use being a major factor. I think our increasing tendency to multi-task while using electronics is an issue too. Going back to studying helped a lot with getting my brain functioning again (although stress levels skyrocketed).

I should add, I don't believe it's really Mommy brain or age related. My 15 year old complained of the same type of symptoms and eventually asked to see a doctor. All the basic blood tests came up clear. I believe the key will lie in more exercise, less electronics and less multi-tasking, but those aren't nearly as easy to fix as taking iron tablets or whatever else the doctor might have suggested... And it's really, really difficult to motivate yourself to make changes when you're already feeling 'fuzzy'. I need an accountability partner!

I'll be your partner! I know that part of the problem is my multitasking and electronics.

I do take fish oil daily and vitamin D. Haven't had B vitamin levels checked though. I get good sleep: usually 9ish to 5:30. I drink 1-2 cups of caffeine. I'm sure more would help with the tiredness, but I'm afraid that I'd just need more and more. I eat pretty well I think, and when I'm not nursing bulging disks (which I am now…boo), I run 3-4 days a week.

I feel like I have info overload in addition to the household/life/homeschool managing. Guessing the problem is multi-pronged, and so the solution will be.

Honestly, I went back to school and then took 6 months of prioritizing sleep and working to get back into it. The combination of having to think, learning a new skill and instrument, and prioritizing sleep has helped me get beyond mommy brain. I don't think I have mommy brain any more. My kids are the same age as yours.

If you can't work for a boss full time because you are working for your family homeschooling, my suggestion would be to think about working on publishing for homeschooling, or, ideally, taking one class per quarter at the CC, online or in person, that really challenges you and keeps you on your toes.

Good luck. I hate the mommy brain feeling but I do think it's a real thing.

I agree that a big chunk of it is due to the sheer amount of information we're required to keep in our heads. Homeschooling, working, parenting, medical management for the whole family, probably financial management for the whole family, social management for the whole family, cleaning, pet care, schedules, self-care, self-improvement...did you have to worry about even half of this stuff when you were younger? And what you did have to worry about, you only had to manage for one person!

I think this is a large part of it for me. When I actually have time to think deeply about something... well, then I know in the back of my head that I'm forgetting about something else I should probably be doing, lol. My husband refers to it as "having too many tabs open in my brain."

• Like 4

I've had the "lost nouns" mommy brain thing since dd9 :-/, and last year the brain fog started hitting hard - couldn't concentrate, couldn't read, couldn't think seriously (and I was also very fatigued - physically, mentally, emotionally) - it was extremely frustrating and disheartening, especially since I'm only in my early 30s. 

I turned a corner after sleeping 10 hours a night for a month, and I still aim for 9 hours a night now (the nouns go missing whenever I'm short of sleep - it's kind of the first sign of trouble).  I also added in exercise (daily walks and stretching/strengthening 2-4x/week), omega-3s and a B-complex (plus a multi-vitamin).  And now that it's winter, I've started using a light therapy lamp - SAD's an issue for me, and for whatever reason the brain fog hits hardest when SAD's hitting hardest.  (I don't know if the lack of light itself contributes to brain fog or if the depression leads me to do/not-do things that contribute to brain fog (I definitely spend waaaaaaaaaaaaay more time fracturing my attention surfing the web when I feel depressed than otherwise, and that doesn't do good things for my mind or emotions).)  And I've prioritized devotions over other thinking reading - I believe that being spiritually renewed and refreshed through God's means of grace is foundational for all of life, physical as well as spiritual, and I finally started living it out ;).

I have definitely felt a big improvement doing this, but I think it just is getting me to everyday-typical, maybe a touch more - which is *awesome* compared to the impairment I was experiencing this past Feb-Mar, but isn't always enough to be able to do my studies the way I want to.  I can usually read and contemplate my books when I get time during the day (which is a wonderful improvement), but most of my interruption-free time is at night after the kids are in bed, and despite improvements my brain is still not up to heavy reading/thinking then - it's *done*, and I just end up messing around online.  I live in hope that continued sleep/exercise/vitamins/light, and continuing striving to live out my faith, will lead to continued improvement - that I haven't plateaued yet, that there's not something more going on.  (I do wonder/worry about hypothyroidism - I've some symptoms and it run in the family.)

Edited by forty-two

I think this is a large part of it for me. When I actually have time to think deeply about something... well, then I know in the back of my head that I'm forgetting about something else I should probably be doing, lol. My husband refers to it as "having too many tabs open in my brain."

Tell your husband he is a master of metaphor. That is exactly it!

I feel like the 'mommy brain' always has many 'windows' or 'tabs' open, like on a computer, even if it isn't consciously at the forefront of what you are currently doing or thinking (or suppose to be doing or thinking!) After you have kids, you are never 'off'. Your constantly trying to hold up all of yours and your kids (and husbands!?) tasks and obligations AND stuff you want to do! All at once! Even if we get a relaxing time away, we're always thinking if the kids are ok or did dh forget to do this or that.... That's how I see it anyway, and I don't know if there is much a mom can do about it.

I think humans are designed to respond to challenge from external forces. When I was home with young children, the challenge was to cope, with humor and patience. I did a good job at that, but did feel mommy brain and worried about whether I was losing my mental edge. Even teaching hard subjects (and learning a great deal) was not a panacea.

After 12 years out of the work force, I am working in a job that is mentally demanding and dead line oriented. My brain is pretty well kicked in again, and in some ways, I feel young.

This is very encouraging!

Yes, it gets better when they're teens and are mostly self-sufficient. I ramped up my work hours as they got older, and that helped. I do believe in a bit of "use-it-or-lose" it as you age. You have to find something to challenge you mentally as you get older. For some it's paid or volunteer work, for others it is reading and crafts.

I haven't had too many pre-menopausal problems, but I've found that I'm a lot more tired at the end of the day too. I've been an adjunct professor all along and have always loved that for the mental stimulation, but after this semester I'm dropping the evening classes. I'm just too tired now, and there are some other reasons why I am letting that go.

Yeah, my kids are 9.  I can't figure out whether to blame mom brain, mental-pause, stress, or something else.  At my age, I have no idea whether to expect things to get better or worse.  :P  One day at a time!

And yeah, on paper I'm an intelligent, educated person.  Honest.