Menu

Did you have a phone in your room growing up? If so, what kind?

The toy thread brought back memories of a funky red lips phone my parents buoght me from Spencers (at my request).

lip-phone.gif

I cannot remember when I got a phone in my room, but I know I had one when I was 12 because I would call my best friend when we got home from school to discuss Santa Barbara during commercial breaks.

Of course, we didn't have cordless phones then that you could walk around with then. You had to actually talk where the phone was.

What about you? Any funky phones?

My phone was unique. :glare: My parents didn't want a phone in our rooms so we had an old phone in the hallway. It had a 500ft cord, or so it seemed. We could take the phone into our room, but it had to be in hall when we were done.

Funny thing was it had no dials. My dad worked at a TV station and they had thrown out this phone. Instead of the dial pad it had a big red light in the center. So you had to go into the living room to dial out. Parental controls.

I got it, with my own phone number/line, put in when I was 12 or 13. It looked like these: http://oldphoneworks.com/_search.php?q=trimline&page=1

I can't for the life of me remember what color it was, though. What was especially cool about it was that it was a fairly early touch-tone model. My parents' phones still had rotary dials, and mine was the first in the house with buttons. I remember my mother bought me a little booklet that showed how to play tunes by pushing the buttons.

Wow, I'm old, huh?

The other cool thing was that I had a super-long cord on it so that I could drag it out onto the stairway landing and still hear it ring when I wasn't in my room. I could also sit on the stairs and talk so that I could see the TV.

It all felt so very hip.

But come to think of it, my bedroom was an ugly yellow and funky orange. Growing up in the 70's wasn't pretty. I never did change it in the early 80's during high-school and then I moved out ASAP.

I think the super long phone cords may have had a lot to do with the fact that there weren't a lot of phone jacks? I had one of those cords too, but a phone in my room. It had to be plugged-in somewhere else though.

I tried to insert the photo but it didn't work. I had the "mellow yellow" phone! :lol:

http://oldphoneworks.com/575-yellow.html

Oh, it was the heavy desk phone. I remember because my sister hit me in the head with it once!

No, a phone in your own room was not allowed in my house. I asked for one when I was in high school and my parents gave me a little plastic smurf statue talking on a phone.:001_huh: Ha....Ha....Ha.:glare: It was my parents idea of a joke. I did not find it so very funny.:glare: I was crushed.

Right before I went to college, dear parents gave me a cream colored princess phone. I loved it. I would still be using it if it wasn't broken. Yes, I still have it. It is sitting on a self in my basement.

I begged and begged for my own phone.. and one Christmas I got one - a little red christmas ornament phone! :001_huh:

So in retalliation, I purchased a very very long phone cord, and used the phone from my parents room in my room. I just had to make sure I put it back when I was done! (I figured out they just didn't want it in my room at night.)

When I was 16 I paid to get my own private phone line installed in my room (with my parents permission--they might have even suggested it.) I paid a whopping $5 per month for the line. It was a black, dial phone. I was spending hours a day on the phone as my boyfriend and friends all lived over a dozen miles away, so this was a great solution. It lasted about 6 months until we moved away for the year and that was the last time I did that at my parents' house.