Menu

Christmas lights

purpleowl

If you decorate with outdoor Christmas lights, when do you have them turned on?

We have some outdoor lights, and we generally turn them on when it's starting to get dark, and turn them off again when we're going to bed.

I learned the other day that my in-laws only turn theirs on if they will be at home.  We turn ours on even if we're going out for the evening.  We don't leave them on if we're out of town, though.

I've also noticed on my way to the gym (about 5:45 AM) that several houses have their lights on then.  I don't know whether they leave them turned on all night, or get up and turn them on early, or leave them on 24/7 during the Christmas season.

So, if you do outdoor Christmas decorations, when are your lights on?

We have a timer set for 4:30-10:30, though we override that for a few days right around Christmas :)

This is what we do also.  Although we have two timers that have to be perfectly synched or else the light czars at our house get twitchy. :laugh:

• Like 1

We have them on a timer.  They come on at dusk and stay on for the number of hours we select, currently 6.  

This is what we do, too.

For those of you who leave them on all night, how much more does your power bill go up this month?

The first year we moved up north, we ended up leaving our lights on 24/7, because plugging and unplugging them in the cold proved beyond us wimpy southerners ;).  They were regular lights, and yes, our power bill went up 50% or more - it was ridiculous.  Thus why we got the timer - saved the cost of the timer in our power bill in the first year alone.

• Like 1

We turn them on when dh gets home around dark, and off when dh goes to bed.  The switch is in our master closet, so it gets turned off/on when we are up there.  Dh changes clothes after work, so he is upstairs around that time. 

I LOVE Christmas lights! I turn mine on and leave them on until I take them down. We never notice a jump in the electric bill because there is usually a cold snap or two during that time. Heating my house makes that bill jump. Whatever few dollars it takes to run the Christmas is more than made up in the fun and pleasure I get from them. Probably cheaper than going to a movie.

My husband used to have an odd schedule--we might be coming or going at 2am or 4 am. We aren't the only ones moving around that time of night.  It is always nice to see the lights during those dark nights. I also enjoy seeing the color and glow on a gloomy day.

The plus side is that no one can tell if we are home or not...at least by the outdoor lights.

ETA...because I KNOW y'all want to know. I also put lights and décor in my backyard. A manger scene up in one corner, small funky tomato tower and burlap trees by the firepit. A lighted wreath on the back porch.

Did I mention I like Christmas lights?

Edited by Happy
  • Like 2

If you decorate with outdoor Christmas lights, when do you have them turned on?

We have some outdoor lights, and we generally turn them on when it's starting to get dark, and turn them off again when we're going to bed.

I learned the other day that my in-laws only turn theirs on if they will be at home.  We turn ours on even if we're going out for the evening.  We don't leave them on if we're out of town, though.

I've also noticed on my way to the gym (about 5:45 AM) that several houses have their lights on then.  I don't know whether they leave them turned on all night, or get up and turn them on early, or leave them on 24/7 during the Christmas season.

So, if you do outdoor Christmas decorations, when are your lights on?

We have timers, so all the lights come on when it gets dark and stay on for five or six hours.

I don't want possible burglars to know when I'm gone, which is why we use timers.

• Like 1