Menu

Can you take a mature(ish) 12 yo with you to jury duty summons?

Ali in OR

I've been called to jury duty. Here I will call in on a Saturday to see if I really do indeed need to show up on that Monday morning. Last time this happened they cancelled and I did not need to go. We're just trying to figure out how to manage the 3 kiddos if I do indeed need to go and then get called to be on a jury. Two will be in school from 7:30-3:00. My 12 yo does mostly home school but attends PS classes from ~10:30-12:30. Dh would do the ferrying of kiddos, but just wondering if it's an option for her to be in the courtroom part of the time (watching or reading quietly) or if that's not allowed. Anyone know? Thanks.

Generally no. Public is not allowed inside voir dire questioning of jurors. The child may be old enough to sit in public spaces in courthouse without being thought abandoned. ;) There should be info on your jurisdiction's court website. Most places excuse homeschooling parents.

• Like 3

In my jurisdiction, you would have to show up on the appointed day. However, if you were in voir dire, you probably would be excused for cause, particularly if the case were going to be more than a day or two.

I would not take a child. Juries are often taken out of the courtroom, sometimes for a good piece of time, while attorneys argue motions, argue about admissibility of evidence, etc. There is no guarantee your daughter would not be left on her own for periods of time.

Also, even in a civil trial or a nonviolent crime, there is often evidence that is disgusting, frightening, or vulgar. I got called last year and the case turned out to be allegations medical malpractice resulting in death of a post partum mother. I didn't want to hear that, and no child would either.

No, but if for some reason the child can't be left at home, then that information needs to be given right away (and you'll need a reason) because otherwise this could be like, a regular thing. I think it will be hard to manage jury duty with a child who needs supervision. Maybe call a sitter or arrange for her to go elsewhere?

Generally no. Public is not allowed inside voir dire questioning of jurors. The child may be old enough to sit in public spaces in courthouse without being thought abandoned. ;) There should be info on your jurisdiction's court website. Most places excuse homeschooling parents.

Not most places, some place.  It varies greatly, and even varies in the same place when the person making the decision changes.  Where I live, they won't even excuse nursing moms.

Mine always says no children and homeschooling is not an excuse.

In fact, one HSing mom took her kids and tried to get out of it and told the judge that she didn't have family in the area and the judge told her, "We will call social services and provide you with childcare."

Yikes.

I haven't been called to jury duty here.  I was called twice in LA but got out of it both times.

I wouldn't hesitate to leave a mature-ish 12 year old at home.

:iagree: I'm not understanding why a mature middle school-age kid needs to go along with either parent. Letting her stay at home alone for a few hours that day seems like the most obvious solution, but perhaps there are other factors involved that would make that difficult or unwise.

• Like 2

Don't know about most places, but I've been excused for that several times. 

Mine always says no children and homeschooling is not an excuse.

In fact, one HSing mom took her kids and tried to get out of it and told the judge that she didn't have family in the area and the judge told her, "We will call social services and provide you with childcare."

Yikes.

I haven't been called to jury duty here.  I was called twice in LA but got out of it both times.

I'd say oh thank you that'll be very helpful.  Because I really do not have anyone around who could help me with that.

I have no problem leaving the 12 yo at home, except that I need to get her to her public school classes that run from 10:30 to 12:30. We live way too far away for her to get to school on her own. I was just mentally brainstorming all of the ways to manage her--leaving her at home and have dh have to come home to take her to school, take her with me and have him get her there (much closer to his work), etc. In the end, it's easiest for him to have her at work and then take her to school.

If I was trying to get out of jury duty, I would use being the caregiver for my severely disabled dd as the excuse. She's in school until 3:00, so this is only an issue if I get caught up in a trial that runs into multiple afternoons (we can handle 1 or 2 with few problems). But I actually want to serve, to use my brain, to do my civic duty, etc. We just need to have things well-planned for all contingencies. The only time I ever served before was a 1 day trial well before kids. I found it very interesting.

• Like 2

I haven't been called for jury duty since I've had kids, but my DH has, so I've thought about the possibility, and I would leave my 13 & 11 year old kids home by themselves, with a neighbor on alert in case of emergency.    But I agree that in your situation, getting her to a class would make it more complicated.    

Is there a public library anywhere near the courthouse you could leave her at? I know some libraries are insane wrt "unattended minors", but others are more reasonable. Our says "please don't leave children under 6 unattended in children's area", and I'd happily leave a 12yo at that library.

I thought about the library thing too.  Here I think it's 14 though.

Depending on how my 12yo looked, my 12yo might suddenly be "14".

(I have little patience for ridiculous policies like that - I walked to the library alone when I was 8yo and it was never an issue)

• Like 1

This is probably a dead issue now for the OP but if others are thinking along the same lines - you would have to check with your court to see if it's OK.  I doubt it is.  But even if it is, it's a terrible place for a kid to have to hang out.  In my experiences - maybe 6 in 3 different states - the waiting room, which is where most of the time is spent, is noisy!  There is usually a tv on, but there are also people talking loudly, lots of complaining.  When I've gone, I can only read magazines or a very light novel, no hard reading or studying (of course your daughter may have better powers of concentration than I do).  There are frequent loud announcements.  If you were called into jury selection, she would have to stay in the waiting room and thus anyone could approach her to talk.   I would never subject my kid to all that.

This is probably a dead issue now for the OP but if others are thinking along the same lines - you would have to check with your court to see if it's OK.  I doubt it is.  But even if it is, it's a terrible place for a kid to have to hang out.  In my experiences - maybe 6 in 3 different states - the waiting room, which is where most of the time is spent, is noisy!  There is usually a tv on, but there are also people talking loudly, lots of complaining.  When I've gone, I can only read magazines or a very light novel, no hard reading or studying (of course your daughter may have better powers of concentration than I do).  There are frequent loud announcements.  If you were called into jury selection, she would have to stay in the waiting room and thus anyone could approach her to talk.   I would never subject my kid to all that.

Yeah, that's definitely not what I want for her. I was wondering if she would be allowed to come in and sit with me--thought it might be educational and kind of interesting. But I totally understand the posts that explain why this is not allowed. I wasn't given any information on this at all and we couldn't find anything about rules online, so I appreciate the input from everyone. We will go with a different plan. Thanks all.

• Like 1