Menu

Does Walmart track items left behind - would you bother for $1?

Pegasus

Ack, Very minor but super annoying. I was released early from work yesterday and darted over to Walmart before heading home.  I wanted to pick up a few things before hunkering down over the crazy shopping weekend, which I want no part of.

Once home, I realized that one item (~$0. 97) was missing from my bags.  I double-checked my trunk but no luck. It did show up on my receipt so it must have been left at the cashier bag carousel. 

Obviously, financially, a very minor mishap. I'm certainly not venturing back to Walmart anytime this weekend.  Trying to decide if I should go by on Monday to state my case.  I'm thinking most reasonable people would just "let it go" but not sure I want to be reasonable in this instance.  :laugh:

Do they keep track of items left at the registers or do those items go right back on the shelf?  Do you have a similar story?  I can't be the only one.

I know my supermarket keeps track of items left at the register. I show my receipt and they look it up and I go get my items. I would assume Walmart does the same.

You should call them and ask.

Would I go back for the dollar item? It depends on how badly I needed it.

I doubt they'll find it, specially in such a chaotic time of the year. After Black Friday? Not a chance. However, they do have decent customer service and they might replace it or reimburse you. If you happen to have to go for other things then sure, I'd bring it up (also depending on how long is the customer service line, I've seen some dreadful lines after Thanksgiving). But, to make a trip just for it?? No way!! I'd definitely let it go. A buck is not worth my gas, time, and aggravation for having to go back (I can't stand Walmart so I keep my trips there to a minimum).

• Like 1

I feel confident saying that my local Walmart wouldn't keep the item at customer service, but they wouldn't hesitate to refund your money for it if you go and explain what happened.  But for a buck it wouldn't be worth my time and effort.  And if you have to make a special trip, depending on how far it is it may cost you more in gas than you'd get back.

• Like 4

You all sound like reasonable people.   :laugh:   I'm going to let it go since I agree that the lines at customer service are likely to be longer than is worth waiting through.  I think I would feel better if I knew that all items left at the register after purchase were eventually donated to charity.  I don't begrudge Walmart their normal profit but it doesn't seem right if they put the item back on the shelf and re-sell it.

My mom lost a $20 item once. She just didn't grab the bag. When she got home and realized it was missing she drove right back there. The manager said no one had turned in the item so someone probably took it. My mom got very upset and the guy finally gave her a new one as a replacement. I'm not sure that was store policy though. My mom is scary when she's upset.

I left a gallon of milk at Walmart once, and I did go back to pick up a new gallon a couple days later--no issues.  Lesson learned for me though to always spin the rack completely around even if the cashier says I have all my bags.  I hate those spinning bag things!

This is part of the reason why I don't shop at Walmart.  Those stupid rotating racks make it difficult to see if you have any items left and the cashiers don't care if you get all of your purchases.  In fact, I think that is part of the design when they put only 2 items in a bag.  They are on to the next customer.  I have left behind the very thing I went there for and it made me really mad to realize that when I got home. 

• Like 1

I left a pair of shoes at Walmart a few months ago.  The cashier turned them in to customer service.  All I had to do was show the receipt.  I've left small items, no more than a couple of dollars, but didn't want to wait in the almost always long line at customer service to get them or a refund. It's annoying, but my time is worth something too. 

This is part of the reason why I don't shop at Walmart.  Those stupid rotating racks make it difficult to see if you have any items left and the cashiers don't care if you get all of your purchases.  In fact, I think that is part of the design when they put only 2 items in a bag.  They are on to the next customer.  I have left behind the very thing I went there for and it made me really mad to realize that when I got home. 

Just as often I have to watch when my order is being rung up while the previous customer is still loading their bags into their cart- I've caught them taking my stuff- which isn't really their fault, but it is annoying. 

I think the majority of cashiers DO want you to take all your stuff.  I think they really are trying to do a good job, and at our Walmart the CSM will 'counsel' a cashier who lets a customer walk away without stuff. I've seen them do that when the customer before me leaves a bag and know they track that kind of thing.  They are also trained to put 4-6 things in a bag, which if that's all their bags are designed to hold....they need bigger bags! I hate having a zillion bags. 

I hate the rotating racks. I love shopping where I can get large paper bags!

Edited by Annie G
  • Like 1

I left a bag of groceries once and even though I headed straight back when I realized it, the stuff had already been put back (since it was perishable.)  But they kept track of what it was and I was able to go collect it again myself, so it wasn't such a huge deal (besides being 36 weeks pregnant with twins and not wanting to deal with it, but other than that...) So I am sure that even if they don't keep your item at the desk you could get another one or just be refunded.

I would just go with the receipt next time you're going to be there anyway and explain it. If they don't refund or replace, you can just say, oh well, worth asking, I was here anyway. However, my guess is that they'll refund or replace. I mean, you're a customer and standing there with a receipt saying they made a mistake and it's only going to cost them a dollar to make you happy. Most chain stores will pay up.

• Like 3