Menu

Adele's new song

Scarlett

Well, darn. I thought this was going to be the thread where we all talk about how deranged she is, and how she screams this song, and how she needs some serious counseling.

Guess not.

Sincerely,

Not a Fan

She probably does need serious counseling, girl has some heeeeavy music. But it's so good!

She probably does need serious counseling, girl has some heeeeavy music. But it's so good!

Perhaps she was ruined for me when my oldest, who was probably 13 or 14 at the time, pointed out that it is chemically impossible for rain to burn, as it contains no carbon. Or something like that.

• Like 5

Perhaps she was ruined for me when my oldest, who was probably 13 or 14 at the time, pointed out that it is chemically impossible for rain to burn, as it contains no carbon. Or something like that.

OMG, had that same conversation with the more science-minded people in our home. Imagery, hello? What emotion does rain symbolize? And fire? Can anger chase sadness away? Yes, now go away, family. LOL

• Like 17

OMG, had that same conversation with the more science-minded people in our home. Imagery, hello? What emotion does rain symbolize? And fire? Can anger chase sadness away? Yes, now go away, family. LOL

:lol:   What was that line that Hermione had re: Ron in Order of the Phoenix? "If you had a greater emotional range than a teaspoon you'd understand" ?

• Like 10

Well, darn. I thought this was going to be the thread where we all talk about how deranged she is, and how she screams this song, and how she needs some serious counseling.

Guess not.

Sincerely,

Not a Fan

Well she might be deranged. Most great artists are. You think she screams? Hmm.

I still love her.

Me too. I love her. I was in a hating stage when I heard the song where she tries to get back an ex that is no married....but I'm over that now. LOL.

Someone Like You? That's not what I got from that song at all. I thought she was saying that she was happy for him and that she knew eventually she would move on too.

• Like 2

Someone Like You? That's not what I got from that song at all. I thought she was saying that she was happy for him and that she knew eventually she would move on too.

Mostly...just this one troublesome verse....

I hate to turn up out of the blue, uninvited

But I couldn't stay away, I couldn't fight it

I had hoped you'd see my face and that you'd be reminded

That for me, it isn't over

• Like 1

I heard an interview with her recently where she said that she basically totally redid this album. She had more current songs that reflect her current life and happy relationship and child and when she listened to it all... it just didn't suit her voice at all. And she decided that while she wants to be true to herself, she also wants her music to speak to people and be something she can be proud of. She went back to square one and stuck with songs about heartache because that's just what suits her. I can imagine it must be taxing to sing about heartbreak all the time when you're happily married with a family, lol, but artistically I can certainly see what she means. Her voice does not naturally seem suited to being joyous.

• Like 1

In all seriousness, I am mildly disturbed by the number of teen girls who claim to be playing "Hello" on repeat for hours at a time. I worry that they will believe that this level of angst is acceptable or desirable when it comes to their own little teen crushes. I think of Adele and her themes as more appropriate for grown-ups, not 16 year-olds. But mostly, I want to yell at her to "move on already."

• Like 3

In all seriousness, I am mildly disturbed by the number of teen girls who claim to be playing "Hello" on repeat for hours at a time. I worry that they will believe that this level of angst is acceptable or desirable when it comes to their own little teen crushes. I think of Adele and her themes as more appropriate for grown-ups, not 16 year-olds. But mostly, I want to yell at her to "move on already."

I know what you mean, but that is nothing new.  As an angst-filled teen I spent hours in my room with my record player, playing the same songs over and over, thinking about whatever boy I had a crush on and wondering when I would ever feel good again.

I assume it's a pretty typical stage and most girls get over it.  Hope I am right about that.

• Like 13

I know what you mean, but that is nothing new.  As an angst-filled teen I spent hours in my room with my record player, playing the same songs over and over, thinking about whatever boy I had a crush on and wondering when I would ever feel good again.

I assume it's a pretty typical stage and most girls get over it.  Hope I am right about that.

It's how I spent ages 12-16, lol.

• Like 4

I know what you mean, but that is nothing new. As an angst-filled teen I spent hours in my room with my record player, playing the same songs over and over, thinking about whatever boy I had a crush on and wondering when I would ever feel good again.

I assume it's a pretty typical stage and most girls get over it. Hope I am right about that.

Ha I still play songs over and over if I love it.

• Like 1

Yeah, I think that verse struck many as creepy. LOL

I'm surprised if that's true.  I think it's a pretty common human experience - you think that your feelings will somehow almost compel the other person to love you, if only they really understood how deep they were.  Or showing up to a place where you know someone will be.  It's not true of course that someone will love you if you love then, but it's a really common feeling in the young.  Even older people might hope that someone would be interested in rekindling a relationship.

She's got nothing on Morrissey, and plenty of teens have played his angst-ridden songs on repeat over the years.

Edited by Word Nerd
  • Like 3

I love Adel and her music, but I was a little disappointed that this sounded just like her other music.  I understand that she believes her voice is best with a particular type of song, but I'd like to see her break out a little bit.  So far, from what I have heard, there isn't a different 'sound' to this album compared to the others.  That makes me feel like I don't need to buy it if they all sound the same, kwim?

But, maybe I will be surprised by what is to come.  I was actually looking forward to hearing some new sounds, some new music, from her new life.

I say that knowing that often when a singer or musician has a a very strong 'voice' their fans go nuts when they try to change and grow as an artist. I have certainly been disappointed in the past when that happens. So, maybe there is just no pleasing me, lol.

For some reason this song grates on my nerves. I have even thumbs downed it on Pandora.  I think it is just how depressing and repetitive it is.  I feel like I am spending time with a friend wallowing in a depression.  It it one of those times when you need to support the other person and keep saying 'it will get better' 1000 times in 1000 different ways, but inside you are screaming...  "Seriously, just get over it and move on"!   I don't find beauty in her voice this time.

For some reason this song grates on my nerves. I have even thumbs downed it on Pandora. I think it is just how depressing and repetitive it is. I feel like I am spending time with a friend wallowing in a depression. It it one of those times when you need to support the other person and keep saying 'it will get better' 1000 times in 1000 different ways, but inside you are screaming... "Seriously, just get over it and move on"! I don't find beauty in her voice this time.

I like sad sounds. My friend hates them. I love the song Jessie....my friend says he is a big old whiner through the whole song. Lol

That is fantastic.  Sending to my daughter who is a big Adele fan, and who has watched many an Attenborough nature show (not always enthusiastically).

:lol:  Sometimes you get lucky with just the right crossover.  Lin-Manuel Miranda has certainly re-ignited my 12 yo's fires re: American Revolution...

ETA actually I meant to do this link which has more songs...

Edited by Pam in CT
  • Like 1

As far as the song itself, it's not my favorite of hers either.  It just seems to lack something to me.  Areatha Franklin - she had some similarities in the style of her songs, but they still had an individual character.  My feeling about this one is that the voice is great, but the song sounds like 100 others on the radio in every other way.

Teens do like their angst music.  I guess it makes them feel less alone in their emotions.

:lol:  Sometimes you get lucky with just the right crossover.  Lin-Manuel Miranda has certainly re-ignited my 12 yo's fires re: American Revolution...

Well, you reminded me of this, which we watch every time we're talking about The Am Rev.  And sometimes just because.

(I don't know how to add the video directly, just the link to youtube.)

• Like 5

For awhile, ds was obsessed with Adele. Probably around the time he was about 8 yo - so a few years ago when she was first really big. I remember he had the following conversation with his aunt about it.

Aunt: Who's your favorite singer?

Ds: I love Adele.

Aunt: Why?

Ds: She's just so strong and her songs are just (he hummed a bunch, I think). I just think her music is so good.

Aunt: And the heartbreak, right?

Ds: What? What are you talking about?

I like the new song. Ds liked it too. ;)

• Like 2

I'm on my second listen to the new album. It's very good and she sounds great, but the slower songs, though pretty, all blend together for me. I love River Lea, and I'm pretty sure Send My Love (To Your New Lover) will soon be stuck on repeat in my head.

Edited by Word Nerd
  • Like 1