Menu

where to buy christmasy leotard?

ktgrok

My daughter's dance class is doing a "holiday dance" where they can invite grandparents, etc to watch, but it is informal, just during their regular class. They can wear holidayish clothing. Any ideas on where to look for a girls' small leotard that is kind of christmassy?

I don't know where, but I'll tell you what, when I just glanced at the title of the thread, I saw, "Where to buy Chemistry leotard?"

I was like, wuhhhhh?  Who would where a leotard to do chemistry?  Why?

Tired eyes better get off the forums, I think.

• Like 4

I can't think of a "Christmasy" leotard, but I can suggest what my dds and/or their friends have done in the past for the times they've taken class during the holidays.  They usually accessorize....Many times, they find a pretty red leotard and then make a bunflower wrap for their buns that are in festive holiday colors.  Some girls make very fancy bunwraps that involve tinsel or the like, and/or wear earrings that are in a holiday style. I've even seen some wear Santa hats!  (They need to pin them pretty tightly or they will fly off during pirouettes)!  Bunwraps are very simple to make -- a glue gun, pretty ribbons, silk flowers, and your imagination are all you need!  

Instead of a tutu, which might be a bit too expensive and difficult to find, you might want to get a chiffon wrap skirt in either red or green to match/contrast with her leo.  My older daughter also likes wearing her black leos that have velvet trim during the holidays as those can be very festive, as well.  

• Like 1

My daughter's dance class is doing a "holiday dance" where they can invite grandparents, etc to watch, but it is informal, just during their regular class. They can wear holidayish clothing. Any ideas on where to look for a girls' small leotard that is kind of christmassy?

We've had costumes that were white with rhinestones trimmed at the neckline with maribou.  Since this is a one-off event, and she'll be in a larger size next year, perhaps you can find something second-hand on eBay or the like, that is more of a costume than a regular class leo.  Nothing over the top, but something that would get the idea across.  Searching "Christmas dance costume" on eBay brings up over a thousand items!  Even if you don't buy one, it's a good way to get ideas of what you could aim for in a DIY approach.  This one, for example - a red dance dress with gold ribbon in a "Christmas present" kind of look would be easy to do at home with a red leo and perhaps a red dance skirt or pair of red dance shorts.

hmm..okay, so y'all aren't having better luck than I did, which somehow makes me feel better. I'm thinking maybe I'm better off looking for a tutu that's cute. Or a green leo with a red tutu or something, I don't know. 

What size do you need and when do you need it?  I have a pile of red leotards in a bin somewhere.  If I have the right size I'd be happy to send you one to bling up however you want.  

• Like 1

Just a thought - over the years, the moms in my family realized that we often over-think these things.  Because we are internet-savvy, think outside of the box, love to thrift shop, have access to a lot of clothes/costumes, are pretty crafty, etc., we see these occasions as a great opportunity to come up with The Ultimate Christmas Dance Class Outfit (or whatever the occasion seems to call for).  But every other mom in the class is going to put their child in last year's holiday dress, or get some red-and-white striped tights at Target to wear with the usual leo, or lend the child their Christmas-light earrings, or put some tinsel around the child's bun and call it done.  There's a fine line between putting your best foot forward (or, as one child I know put it, "Just like everyone else, but BETTER"), and looking seriously out of place.  So I've learned to check in with the other moms, and/or with the studio, to get a more specific sense of what is expected, what people have worn in the past, etc., so that we're not spending too much time and money on something meant to be a low-key thing, and ending up with a look that's way over-the-top compared to the other kids.

(I also consider whether we are raising the bar for other families - will us going all out lead other children to ask their parents for specialty clothing that may be a financial or time stretch for their family at what can be a challenging time of year in that regard.  That's not to say we don't sometimes go all out, we just try to weigh the situation carefully.)

I don't mean to discourage you!  I loved the outfits I posted above, and in your shoes I would probably go a little nuts 'cause that's how we're wired here.  But it's also OK to check in with the studio and see if you're in line with what others are likely to come up with.  :-)

Is this for DD5? Go for fun Christmas tights, or thin socks that will fit with her dance shoes. Put a jingle-bell scrunchy around her bun. Add some cute booty shorts and/or a Christmas-colored tutu and you're good. SPend your money on fun pieces that she can wear again for class or dress-up.