Menu

Are bees sting reactions cumulative?

Miss Peregrine

Yes, they can get worse - allergic reactions also tend to do that, so someone who is seeing worse reactions should be careful.

However, some people get less and less reaction over time.

I suspect it can cross-over to some extent, but I am not sure how far that would go - it's based mostly on anecdotal experience.

• Like 2

Yes, I agree, they can. My mom developed an allergy to bees. The first time she reacted, the swollen area around the sting had a circumference about the size of a baseball. The next time, the circumference was more the size of a basketball. She started to carry an Epi-pen but never had another sting, fortunately. I think it's common for allergic reactions to escalate each time the allergen enters the body.

I don't know whether wasp and bee stings cause the same reaction in someone who is allergic.

• Like 1

Yes.

Your body can "learn" to react faster and more extremely.

http://www.honeybeeworld.com/misc/stings.htm

According to the above source, if you get few, infrequent stings, your body will start itching and swelling more at the site of the sting. However, for most people, if you get lots of frequent stings (think beekeeper) most will develop an immunity. This immunity can fade quickly if one stops being stung on a regular basis.

Emily

• Like 2

Thanks. Dd texted me that she was having trouble breathing. The last time she was stung her foot doubled in size. This sounds like it might be affecting two body systems. She was stung on the collarbone.

Oh no. Two body systems = epipen. Keep us posted. Head to the ER. And watch for a biphasic reaction.

Hope she's ok!

• Like 5

Yes, that is an anaphylactic reaction and she needs benedryl as she is heading to the ER for epinephrine. I was puzzled with my first reaction too because the chest symptoms almost felt like croup - wheezy, mucousy, tight and heavy chest. Hives, burning ears, low blood pressure, dizziness, etc were my other symptoms, but no external swelling.

Reactions can get worse or better, no way to tell. But it sounds like hers was dangerous and she needs to carry emergency medication in case it is as bad or worse next time.

Yikes. I hope she went to the ER, and that she's ok. I hope you'll update.

If she didn't go in but it resolved on its own, she should let her primary care doctor know tomorrow that she needs an epi pen and allergist referral. Push on that if needed, because two body systems is anaphylaxis.

My experience has been that some ER doctors handle anaphylaxis, but most are less aware of protocol than they should be. In case the ER doctor wasn't aware/informative, whomever is with her needs to be aware of biphasic reactions, when the anaphylaxis comes back, sometimes worse than before after initially resolving.   Ideally, she would hang around the ER waiting room from discharge to around 8 hours (most reactions will fall in this period I think/but the can be delayed 24 hours or more) and she should be given an epi pen prescription before discharge (though they may refuse) just in case it comes back. It's safest if someone is with her for at least 24 hours if at all possible, just in case. People who don't receive quick epinephrine are at increased risk. My son's first reaction went biphasic.

With food anaphylaxis, the severity of one reaction doesn't necessarily increase the severity of the next. My son had his most severe anaphylaxis with his first reaction. But bees may be different. For future information:

Systemic reactions can become progressively more severe with each sting in some cases, but this seems to be the exception rather than the rule. In prospective sting challenge studies, less than 1% of the patients had reactions more severe than their past reactions.(26,27) In two retrospective surveys, there were a larger number of subjects who described worsening of the reaction with subsequent stings

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1961691/

• Like 1

Since she had trouble breathing, I'd take her to the doctor and see if she can get a prescription for epinephrine now, which she should have with her at all times.

There is one brand that is rather compact about the size of a pack of cigarettes, if she doesn't want something big to carry. If your dd is a minor or attends public school, you will have to tell everyone that she has this allergy and may need hand an epipen over to an adult at every event she attends. She probably won't be permitted to have an epipen in her possession even though one will need to be nearby.

My brother has had progressively worse reactions. He has been told he won't make it to the ER if there is a next time.

• Like 3

Since she had trouble breathing, I'd take her to the doctor and see if she can get a prescription for epinephrine now, which she should have with her at all times.

There is one brand that is rather compact about the size of a pack of cigarettes, if she doesn't want something big to carry. If your dd is a minor or attends public school, you will have to tell everyone that she has this allergy and may need hand an epipen over to an adult at every event she attends. She probably won't be permitted to have an epipen in her possession even though one will need to be nearby.

My brother has had progressively worse reactions. He has been told he won't make it to the ER if there is a next time.

Unfortunately, the small convenient ones (AviQ) have all been recalled without word about when or if they will be reintroduced to the market.

• Like 2

You've probably had your question answered by now, but I'll throw in some more info just because our (extended) family recently went through this.  My nephew got into the beekeeping/honey business, and apparently was stung one time too many over the months.  The last time, he went into shock and was hospitalized for 24 hours.  It was very scary.  He was told that your body either builds up more immunity with each sting, or it goes the other way -- that is, its allergic reaction gets stronger with each sting. 

He was devastated because this was going to be his business!  But he was told that there are now allergy shots he could have which would gradually train his body into tolerating the stings so that he could continue working.  However, it's not something that would eventually enable him to get by without the shots.  For as long as he is working with bees, he would need to keep up the shots -- even if it were for the rest of his life.

He is still trying to decide what to do.

Unfortunately, the small convenient ones (AviQ) have all been recalled without word about when or if they will be reintroduced to the market.

What happened? I see the manufacturers website, but is there a back story?

I hope that doesn't mean epi pen will stop coupons because of less competition....

They must be cumulative.  I have been reading about how bee stings can cure cancer (can being their terminology).   You need it daily apparently.

I only read one article about it, so don't shoot the messenger, but it would indicate that if the theory is correct, stings are cumulative.

This is my concern too! The price is ridiculous.

The actual medicine is cheap, and you can get the medicine and a syringe. Not that we do that. Thank goodness we got epi pen, thinking it was common enough that people nearby could assist if necessary. Not administer, but assist.

It sounds as though some AuviQ delivered too much, some too little. Yikes!!

What happened? I see the manufacturers website, but is there a back story?

I hope that doesn't mean epi pen will stop coupons because of less competition....

There was a problem with the mechanism that delivers the dose. No idea if this spells the end for the company, but I hope not.

We had to throw away six of them! What a waste.

• Like 1

Mine seems to, either that or I'm more allergic to certain types. First time (bumblebee) no reaction, second time (yellow jacket) no reaction. Third time (wasp) entire hand swelled up (I was stung on the finger). Fourth time my entire arm swelled from wrist to shoulder (I was stung on the elbow twice). I work hard to stay away from bees now because I'm afraid another time could result in breathing problems. 

For any trouble breathing I'd go to the ER. Also, even without an epipen a good backup is to have benadryl around, it can eliminate a minor reaction or with a more severe one at least buy you a little time to get to the hospital. When my sister was bit by some bug and swelled so badly her eyes were closed shut the hospital first gave her a double dose of benadryl. So if your DD seems to be reacting she might be wise to keep benadryl with her just in case. 

• Like 1

You don't get your money back???

We don't have a copay, since we met our high deductible very early this year (on Jan2!!), so I'm not out anything. And I'm sure the ins co will go after auvi-q for the copays, if they can. It's just such a waste of epinephrine, it makes me cringe!

• Like 1

I mean, can the reaction get worse each time a person is stung?

YES. This is how people die. They have a reaction or a few over the years, manage them, and then BOOM, they die. A family friend died that way when I was a teen.

This is why people with anaphylactic type reactions (airway involvement, etc.) must have an EpiPen within reach.