Menu

Unfinished basement-active indoor place for children ideas

Jennifer132

We will have a decent sized unfinished basement at our new place. We do get winter weather here, so I was thinking of turning the basement into some kind of play area where the kids can be active. The ages playing down there would be 3,4,9, and 10. They would be largely unsupervised. I will put foam tiles on the floor.

Keeping all this in mind, what are some ideas for active things I could put down there? There are exposed beams, which I guess I could theoretically screw a swing or something into...

Oh, the possibilities are endless. What fun! 

Indoor treehouse

climbing structure

play kitchen

swings

small trampoline

body pillows & bean bag chairs to climb & crash land on 

hammock

"stage" - build a one step platform and put indoor/outdoor carpet on it, then they can have plays, concerts, etc. 

balance boards

scooter boards

platform swing

climbing ladder

balance beam

dress up clothes

a quiet corner with a bookcase and a couple of beanbag chairs

an art corner with a  table, chairs and a 3 drawer cabinet with supplies

leave space for roller skating 

Do not put a tv down there if you want an active play area! 

• Like 6

Don't put down the foam just yet...we adored roller skating in the basement in the winter when I was a kid.  Trikes, too.  My dad had a train layout he could raise to and lower from the ceiling.  Ping pong table--we played ping pong but we also used it for puzzles, board games, sewing, and so on . We had jump ropes, and we chalked hop scotch onto the concrete floor.  

I still remember whirling around those steel posts when I was on my skates!

Yes! We had the old metal skates with metal wheels and keys that we put on over our shoes & would spin around the support poles for what seemed like hours! 

Oh yeah!  Those steel wheels produced a fine layer of dust from that concrete, but that didn't matter.  When my dad finished the basement years later, who knew?  :0)  And I don't think we chalked the hopscotch...I think my dad painted that right on the floor.  I'll have to ask my sister.  She has a much better memory for our childhood than I do.  I had to be the responsible oldest child, you see.  LOL

Don't put down the foam just yet...we adored roller skating in the basement in the winter when I was a kid.  Trikes, too.  My dad had a train layout he could raise to and lower from the ceiling.  Ping pong table--we played ping pong but we also used it for puzzles, board games, sewing, and so on . We had jump ropes, and we chalked hop scotch onto the concrete floor.  

Our big, wide-open basement was finished-ish with those tiles that are common in high schools and hospitals.  My kids loved playing on their ripstiks down there.  They would sit/balance on them, and scoot around using their hands.  This was a big hit for friends, too.  They used masking tape to draw out roads and stops signs and rest stops. All kinds of fun! I always meant to buy those little sit-on-scooter things that you move the handle bars back and forth to move... do you know what I'm talking about?  (found it! http://www.amazon.com/Ride-On-Scooter-Original-Flying-Turtle/dp/B000KU5JO2) But I never did, and the ripstiks and scooters worked just fine.  

We sold the house, and the new owners say that their kids practice hockey down there with roller blades.

We also enjoyed nerf wars down there.  And even archery practice.  And the wii lived down there.  And a pull up bar. And most of the messy art supplies. I love the idea of a hammock or swing.  Enjoy your basement!

• Like 2

unfinished basements are the best for kids.  they can be very creative. they build so many forts down there.  their friend's have fond memories of our basement.

boxes they can use as building blocks.  (appliance boxes work well too.)

we hung rope from the joists, and had a 'glider' swing in the basement.  they loved it.  I never got around to putting one up in the garage for dudeling.  (basement was finished)

eta: I recently saw an idea come across my facebook feed.  someone took pool noodles - and made life size Lincoln logs.

• Like 2

Don't put down the foam just yet...we adored roller skating in the basement in the winter when I was a kid. Trikes, too. My dad had a train layout he could raise to and lower from the ceiling. Ping pong table--we played ping pong but we also used it for puzzles, board games, sewing, and so on . We had jump ropes, and we chalked hop scotch onto the concrete floor.

I remember roller skating to the Thriller album in our basement. #youwannabestartinsomethin