Menu

Black Friday: what regular things should I get?

Garga

I most likely won't go to the stores on Black Friday early in the morning.  I'll just order stuff online.  I hate how they make the workers go in on Thanksgiving day. 

I have a friend who waits all year and buys her linens and regular things she needs throughout the year on Black Friday. Why not? It's cheaper then and she needs it anyway.  She keeps a running list all year of things she might need and waits to get them on BF.

My boys have been wanting fluffy blankets for their beds, so I'll probably order those on Black Friday.

Does anyone else do this?  Not buy just presents on BF, but also regular things they need?  If so, what do you buy?  I don't want to miss out on this money saving idea, but I can't think of anything I should get.  I don't want it to be Dec 4th and I'm kicking myself thinking, "I should have bought *insert household item here* on Black Friday when it was half off!"

I plan to go hiking so I will be no help at all.  I love to hike that weekend.  There are usually not all that many people around, but the weather is not too harsh yet.

I really don't even know how Black Friday works.  I have always so hated the idea of being out in the crowds that I don't know whether there are big sales or whether they are any better than big sales any other time of the year.  Are there sales on appliances?  Because that is something I need--a new, very quiet refrigerator. I had planned to make that purchase in January when they have the regular appliance sales--is Black Friday any better?

• Like 2

Actually I would say 90% of my Black Friday buying is for personal needs/wants.  I'm just not a big gift person anyways so tend to be pretty minimal in that department, plus my teenage niece and nephews really just prefer cash or gift cards and that's all I buy for outside of my own kids.

Things I've bought on that weekend for myself include

Camera

computers (we try to time our upgrade to this time of year)

office furniture - desk, office chairs, floor mats

kitchen stuff (I upgraded my dishes to fiestaware a few years ago and got complete sets for something like $15 a 4 piece set)

crockpots

large baking dishes

new comforter is on my list for this year as ours is paper thin

mattress pads

kids boots

new bunkbed

dishwasher

Curriculum! I hadn't thought of that.  Oh dear.  I'm not prepared for researching/buying curric!  But it's a great idea. 

You mean there are people who aren't always looking at curriculum? And have a long wishlist? 

Huh.  :huh:

I'll look for make up deals for dd that weekend. We actually have most of our Christmas shopping done. First time of my married life!

• Like 5

What a great thread!

I'm not one to go out on BF, but I'm all for online deals.  I recall getting lots of quality art supplies from Amazon a few years ago, but I can't remember anything else I bought.  They were all crazy-cheap, though, I can remember that!  :p

Now I just need someone to remind me to prepare and then, of course, to actually buy the things!

What a great thread!

I'm not one to go out on BF, but I'm all for online deals.  I recall getting lots of quality art supplies from Amazon a few years ago, but I can't remember anything else I bought.  They were all crazy-cheap, though, I can remember that!  :p

Now I just need someone to remind me to prepare and then, of course, to actually buy the things!

Art supplies!  I've been wanting to get really nice colored pencils for the boys. There was a thread about it a month or so ago, but I didn't want to pay the prices for them.  That's a great idea! Thanks!

• Like 1

You mean there are people who aren't always looking at curriculum? And have a long wishlist?

Huh. :huh:

I'll look for make up deals for dd that weekend. We actually have most of our Christmas shopping done. First time of my married life!

Wait! Actually, for my youngest I do already know what I'm doing since a lot of it is just re-doing what the older one did!

For the older it's trickier because I want to take the time to make a rough 4 year plan for high school. That won't be ready by BF, though I do wish the High School Planning Elves would visit my house and plan it all for me. Sort of like the shoemaker's elves. They could look over all my notes and excel sheets and print out a plan for me. Sigh.

Make up! That's a great idea, too! I rarely buy makeup because it is so expensive, but I wish I could. There's also a skin cream I want, but it's pricey. I'll check for it on BF and maybe I'll be able to get it.

You guys are full of great ideas. Thank you!

• Like 1

Yes, most of what I buy is things we need. The things I get people for Christmas don't seem to be the types of things that are on good sale. 

We desperately need a new laptop, so I'll have my eyes peeled for a sale. 

I used to love camping out in front of a store. I used to go with my sister, and then later, my best friend. But now that everything opens early on Thanksgiving, it's not an option. I hope more stores will go back to closing for Thanksgiving.Or, as I told BFF last year (the first we did not go shopping together, because of the hours), give it a couple more years and we'll be fine again because Black Friday will start on Wednesday morning

• Like 1

Wait! Actually, for my youngest I do already know what I'm doing since a lot of it is just re-doing what the older one did!

For the older it's trickier because I want to take the time to make a rough 4 year plan for high school. That won't be ready by BF, though I do with the High School Planning Elves would visit my house and plan it all for me. Sort of like the shoemaker's elves. They could look over all my notes and excel sheets and print out a plan for me. Sigh.

Make up! That's a great idea, too! I rarely buy makeup because it is so expensive, but I wish I could. There's also a skin cream I want, but it's pricey. I'll check for it on BF and maybe I'll be able to get it.

You guys are full of great ideas. Thank you!

I have a very vague and rough high school four year plan, but so far, I'm mostly focusing on what I am pretty sure I want for ninth grade. I am pretty sure I want SWB's WWS3 and the teaching guide to History of the Medieval World, and I know I want Pandia Press's Level 2 Medieval for next year's sixth grader; both of those companies had 40% off digital products last BF/CM (and PHP had 30% off paper products), so I'm watching for those again. I'm also hoping for a sale at AOPS, and maybe CAP, and then I should be good for the bulk of ninth grade. Unless we change something! (I'm not worrying too much about specific curricula for tenth onward because I want to see how some things go for ninth; AOPS will be a new one for us, so I don't know if it'll work or not.)

• Like 1

My dh has said he is going to order any technology gifts we plan to give for Christmas OR need in general because he did notice that the prices were a lot less at the BF / CMonday timeframe than at the rest of the year.  I got a couple of ideas from the posts upthread, so thank you.  

I plan to go hiking so I will be no help at all. I love to hike that weekend. There are usually not all that many people around, but the weather is not too harsh yet.

I really don't even know how Black Friday works. I have always so hated the idea of being out in the crowds that I don't know whether there are big sales or whether they are any better than big sales any other time of the year. Are there sales on appliances? Because that is something I need--a new, very quiet refrigerator. I had planned to make that purchase in January when they have the regular appliance sales--is Black Friday any better?

Look about two weeks before Christmas. I noticed refrigerators have some really good deals then.

I don't need anything right now...maybe a crock pot, but it can wait. Almost done with Christmas shopping. Ehhh...I don't know...sometimes I do buy a couple things on cyber Monday. The thing is that through the years I have grown to absolutely dislike the whole concept of black Friday, so, without planning I kind of happen to do very little shopping that weekend. Unless I really need something? But we are set...I think :)

Boots, jackets, socks, make up (compare sephora and ulta on cyber monday) dog things. Definitely cookware and small appliances if they are needed. Anything remotely stocking-stuffery like lotion....

Thumb drives and hd cards always go on lightening deals on amazon at some point for half or more off.

Art supplies is a great idea. Along those lines, sports equipment is usually on sale too.

I plan to go hiking so I will be no help at all. I love to hike that weekend. There are usually not all that many people around, but the weather is not too harsh yet.

I really don't even know how Black Friday works. I have always so hated the idea of being out in the crowds that I don't know whether there are big sales or whether they are any better than big sales any other time of the year. Are there sales on appliances? Because that is something I need--a new, very quiet refrigerator. I had planned to make that purchase in January when they have the regular appliance sales--is Black Friday any better?

Last year, Home Depot ran amazing appliance sales for Black Friday and they started them a week or two early. The sales were much better than their "regular" sale prices, so it would be worth checking to see when their sales will be starting. (It's also worth a trip to Home Depot to see what you like and to note the current prices so you will know if you are really getting a good deal when the Black Friday sales start.)

I get socks 50% off at Fred Meyer on Black Friday. They have huge cardboard bins full of all of their regular brands, all 50% off (so Nike is half off as well as the cheapie holiday socks). Fred Meyer is a local grocery + department store.

That is when I stock up on socks too.  Best deal of the year.