Menu

streaming internet on a TV

mum

We use our desktop computer mainly for streaming TV, things like abc, cbs, pbs. The desktop just died. We would rather not replace it. What device do I need so that I can stream internet on my TV? It's  a newer TV, so it has all the needed ports.

Thanks!

If it's a newer tv it might have apps for Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and more. Check to see first. If it does, you just need to sign in to whatever accounts you have and can watch that way. If not there are several options for set top boxes - Roku, Amazon Fire stick, Chrome stick (I don't know much about this), and Apple TV. Roku has an NBC app. Hulu Plus offers many ABC shows. CBS is a bit harder to get. 

An alternative would be to just get a computer tower/hard drive (no keyboard or monitor needed) to plug in to the tv. I'm not sure how that works but I know a few people who do that. Someone here might know and chime in. If you do that you could stream directly from the network websites.

We have an apple TV as well. Like the previous poster said, we paid $99 for it and stream Netflix as well as lots of free programming from PBS, BBC and others. It has an internet function which is a little cumbersome but you can surf the web just like on a computer. It's easier if you have an iPhone because you can download a remote app and type in your searches instead of the 'hunt and peck' typing done with the apple TV remote. We play YouTube videos and Amazon Prime videos. We liked it enough to get a second one for our second TV and drop cable. 

Dh has a cable running from the computer to the TV and then runs some sort of program on the computer that makes it happen. The computer is the primary controller and the TV just serves as a large monitor though we can still use it for non-computer linked viewing as well.    We actually have this set up upstairs and down (classroom TV, family room TV) and he uses two different methods.  I'll ask him what they are when I get a chance.   

I have a question -what exactly do you expect to stream on the tv?

I can stream through my blu-ray such things as amazon, netflix, youtube hulu, etc. etc. etc.

dss' set up an old desktop on the big screen to do direct from internet streaming - (even though it also has a streaming blu-ray),

(the tv's could directly - but we dont' go through the tv)

is there something I'm missing?

With our system, anything you can view on your PC from instructional disks to webpages to pdf files can be thrown up on the big screen.  In the classroom, I use the computer to put up a large image of any worksheet or text page we are working on together.  I also use the large screen for videos that go along with our lessons.  If I am helping a child with an individual lesson that has an online component I sometimes use the big screen so we can both view the lesson comfortably.  In the family room, we stream Netflix, Discovery Education, The Great Courses and sometimes Coursera.  

If it's a newer tv it might have apps for Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and more. Check to see first. If it does, you just need to sign in to whatever accounts you have and can watch that way. If not there are several options for set top boxes - Roku, Amazon Fire stick, Chrome stick (I don't know much about this), and Apple TV. Roku has an NBC app. Hulu Plus offers many ABC shows. CBS is a bit harder to get.

An alternative would be to just get a computer tower/hard drive (no keyboard or monitor needed) to plug in to the tv. I'm not sure how that works but I know a few people who do that. Someone here might know and chime in. If you do that you could stream directly from the network websites.

We purchased this mini computer so we could watch anything on the net. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RH6BIF6/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687502&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00R7R1GWK&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=05577VMKZ3C4HY009MME

There are optional ports for attaching a hard drive or using an SD card. It's very versatile.

• Like 1

We have a Roku and DH found a program called PlayOn which allows you to play anything that you find on your computer through the Roku. I didn't realize that one of the shows we watch started a couple of weeks ago. I was able to watch the episodes I missed by using PlayOn. In the past I would have had to watch it on the computer.

• 3 years later...
On 10/24/2015 at 12:19 PM, mum said:

We use our desktop computer mainly for streaming TV, things like abc, cbs, pbs. The desktop just died. We would rather not replace it. What device do I need so that I can stream internet on my TV? It's  a newer TV, so it has all the needed ports.

Thanks!

We use our Samsung BluRay player for things like NetFlix. For Internet, we just hook up our laptop to it. There may be  a little more to it technically, but my IT guy (Mr. Ellie) isn't here right now to provide a more comprehensive answer. 🙂

You wrote that you have a newer TV.  You could check whether you can connect your TV directly to the internet?
Which can be done 2 ways, by cable or wifi. 
With a cable, it uses the cable that currently connects between your desktop and modem/router.
Your TV will need a port, that fits the connector on the cable.

The other way, is wifi.  Check the manual for your TV, and see whether it can connect wire-lessly? Also that your router can use wifi?

We have a similar problem - we've been using our (very old) Wii to stream Netflix & Amazon, but as of January 31, the Wii is no longer supported (yes, we are VERY low-old-tech people over here, haha!). We do have a Chromecast, which sometimes works to stream from a laptop, but often "gums up" and is extremely difficult for longer movies. 

Sigh. 

Not sure if we need a Roku or maybe an Amazon Firestick? We do not have any other Apple devices, so I think Apple TV is out. DH would prefer NOT to have an Alexa-style voice-controlled option.