Menu

The Martian, 2 big thumbs up!

sassenach

For this one I've been considering breaking my personal rule about not watching a movie until it's been at least a year since I read the book. (Otherwise, I usually hate the movie.)

There are almost no changes from the book. There are, obviously, for time reasons, some chunks left out. But really, I think this is the rare case of book to movie that won't annoy fans of the book.

It was really good. Worth seeing on the big screen too.

• Like 3

Ds & I saw it today & thought it was a fun movie.

Compared to the book, they got rid of a lot of the f-bombs. The movie has practically none compared to the book. Agree with Farrar & Ali in OR that it follows the book pretty well (w/ some chunks of stuff left out). I think they did a good job capturing the style & 'feel' of the book in the movie.

P.S.

If you don't mind gritty/brutal cartel-related drama, Sicario is excellent. I can see it possibly pulling some Oscar nominations. Not a movie for kids.

Everest was ok. Probably better if you've read Into Thin Air first (to better understand some of what happens). Some beautiful scenery.

Dd saw Pan tonight with a friend. She was pretty lackluster about it, so I think it probably wasn't very good.

Loved it! I will agree, those last few minutes of rescue were pretty implausible and even laughable, but the rest was great!

I did wonder about the tarp cover for the rescue module; would that work, and if so, why even bother with the tarp?

Spoiler alert:

yup...that was pretty incredulous.  I kept thinking.. "lets strap a tarp down with bungee straps onto the top of the rocket and shoot ourselves into space.... that'll work!"

• Like 1

saw it tonight and enjoyed it.  There was one or two things that didn't seem plausible, but otherwise, it was quite entertaining.  For nearly 2.5 hrs movie I thought they did a good job of keeping the pace moving.

:iagree:

We just got back from our "date day" (clothes shopping - not a fun thing for us, so followed by the treat of Chick Fil A with milkshakes and the movie complete with soda and popcorn - it's fun pretending to be a kid again - or say - empty nesting)!

The movie was a lot of fun.  The ending rescue was the worst part.  If the book had it happen differently, I wish they had stuck with that.  Otherwise, I love pro-science and pro-knowledge "don't curl up and die" movies that are done well.  This one fits!

Glad we went to see it...

• Like 1

One of the things I liked best about the movie (besides the fewer f bombs) was that the movie Mark didn't hate Mars. The book Mark always implied and sometimes said Mars was trying to kill him. The movie gave me a greater sense of wonder about being on another planet...inhospitable or not.

I liked the movie quite a lot.

• Like 2

Loved it!

DH's company bought out the theater so all the employees could go...so yes, I saw it with a horde of rocket scientists.  This is the company that plans to "Occupy Mars"  

The most fun for me was hearing the folks around me talk back to the screen about what they were doing wrong/right/"Hey! I think that's crazy!"/etc. 

Good Times!

• Like 7

Loved it!

DH's company bought out the theater so all the employees could go...so yes, I saw it with a horde of rocket scientists.  This is the company that plans to "Occupy Mars"  

The most fun for me was hearing the folks around me talk back to the screen about what they were doing wrong/right/"Hey! I think that's crazy!"/etc. 

Good Times!

So... have any of their plans changed yet?  :coolgleamA:

• Like 1

Definitely not Damon's backside!  Not that I know what his backside looks like, but as soon as that person walked in the scene with the towel on their head, and the overly skinny torso, I whispered to my husband "body double."  They didn't show Damon's face again until it was closeup without the naked bod showing.  Just got home from seeing it with my dh. 

• Like 2

Definitely not Damon's backside!  Not that I know what his backside looks like, but as soon as that person walked in the scene with the towel on their head, and the overly skinny torso, I whispered to my husband "body double."  They didn't show Damon's face again until it was closeup without the naked bod showing.   

Ditto.  We thought they purposely picked someone super thin to try to show how much weight had been lost.

• Like 1