Menu

Ok...silly question-what is business attire for a 10 yr old?

Dmmetler

At herp conferences, the typical attire for professionals is a shirt with reptiles or frogs on it, usually t-shirts for younger people, Hawaiian-type shirts for older men, and maybe a polo shirt with a university logo for those presenting, especially if they're younger faculty, worn with jeans and usually Birkenstocks in warm weather and hiking boots in cold weather.

Students dress similarly if they're just attending sessions, but student presenters dress for a job interview-lots of business suits and ties, with most young women in hose and heels.

DD is doing her first conference presentation (we assume...we still haven't seen the formal agenda, but she hasn't been told that she was rejected, either). Somehow, I can't see putting her in hose and heels-but I don't know that the little knit dresses thst she wears with leggings for church and other occasions when she can't get by with jeans are appropriate. We have about a week before the conference. We're getting into fall weather here, so 70's during the day, 50's at night.

Any ideas?

School uniform type stuff we can do-they're probably even on sale now, so if it only gets worn once it won't be a big hit (since pretty much ALL schools in my area have uniforms or dress codes that are close to uniforms, every store gets stacks of basics in the Fall).

Hhmm, see I thought of the uniform thing too, but I think it really enforces the 'schoolgirl' image. The focus should be on her presentation, not on her age? It would be fine and appropriate of course...but I think I would invest in the type of outfit that could grow with her.

I think a nice pair of fitted slacks and a fitted button-down solid color shirt are pretty standard at every conference I have been to, as you want her to be comfortable and not feel like she isn't herself. A cardigan would do as well. As a nod to her age I might match it with something fun. Maybe tasteful Herp-themed jewelry and flats for shoes?

• Like 4

She has a lot of herp-themed jewelry. For some reason, that's a common gift for a girl into snakes and frogs (and she actually makes some of her own which she then donates to auctions, so we have a big collection of herp-themed beads and charms).

Realistically, nothing is going to "Grow with her". Heck, at this point I'm lucky if I can buy something and have it fit in a month. She's changed sizes twice in under a year.

• Like 2

Uniform clothes, but not plaid and not matchy-matchy. A nice, solid color set of bottoms, a contrasting sweater or vest, and a blouse instead of a polo shirt.

Most uniform clothes don't look like a uniform so long as you mix them up. It's when everybody is wearing the same (or when it's a girl in a jumper) that they look like a uniform.

She has a black/white snake print tunic dress. I wonder if I could find a nice blazer to dress it up, and then put it with solid leggings? That would be something that is an outfit she's comfortable in (and won't put her in a hypersensory state when she's already nervous) but hopefully wouldn't be too informal, and it would still be herp-related. Hmm....

• Like 12

I agree with Kerileanne. Khakis or black pants and a nice shirt/sweater would be fine. It's always cold at conferences (lots of AC and lots of sitting), so long-sleeved is usually a good option.In fact, it's most important that she feel COMFORTABLE. There's nothing like worrying about a skirt if you're not used to wearing one, or visibly shaking knees if it's not long. She's obviously young, so they'll think she's adorable no matter what. Once she gets started talking though, they'll pay attention to her words. No need for makeup or heavy jewelry, but something fun that people might notice up close when she chatting with them would be nice.

I like the tunic dress idea with a blazer and leggings.  Maybe something like this?  http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2323677/about-a-girl-knit-waterfall-juniors-blazer.jsp

I know it's a juniors size, but assuming that your 10 year old is pretty close to the size of my 10 year old, I would think an XS would work.  DS can get by with a men's small these days, even if they are a bit big.  A blazer that is cut like that won't look as off as a fitted one, probably.

• Like 1

I went online to look for a little "suit" for my kids for when they attend conferences with me.  A lot of options came up for interview suits for pageants.  Maybe you would find something you could use in that category?

I ended up with a couple colors of this:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K5ZYM0E?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

and this:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SXAI1F0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

The first might be a little too casual for a presenter, but maybe the second would work?

She has a black/white snake print tunic dress. I wonder if I could find a nice blazer to dress it up, and then put it with solid leggings? That would be something that is an outfit she's comfortable in (and won't put her in a hypersensory state when she's already nervous) but hopefully wouldn't be too informal, and it would still be herp-related. Hmm....

This is what I would do. Even recent presentations I have been to have had women in dresses and shrugs or jackets. With her age, that attire would be perfectly acceptable, imho. 

I really think a blazer will look "costume-y,"  like she is playing dress up.  Ten year old girls don't usually wear blazers from what I've seen.  (I understand 10 year olds aren't usually speaking at professional conferences either, but IMO exception should be made for the dress code.)

http://www.zara.com/us/en/kids/girl-|-4-14-years/dresses-and-jumpsuits/view-all/dress-with-bow-c758521p2987039.html

http://www.zara.com/us/en/kids/girl-|-4-14-years/dresses-and-jumpsuits/view-all/jacquard-dress-c758521p2959009.html

This would be comfortable, but still appropriate,

http://www.teacollection.com/product/5m12324/girls-funnel-neck-dress-deep-dive-funnel-neck-dress.html#heritage%20blue

This is expensive, but I like it. :laugh:

https://www.jcrew.com/girls_category/dresses/everydaydresses/PRDOVR~C8963/C8963.jsp

In the conferences that I attend, it is common for women presenters to wear a neutral colored pant and a white or other light colored shirt with a sweater or a jacket. Some wear heels and some wear flats (which is what I do). I especially like the herpetology themed jewelry idea above. Conference halls are very cold even if the weather outside is good. And she may have to feel comfortable and stand on her feet for a while when presenting. So, the important thing to do is that you have her wear the exact same outfit a few days before the event and present to you at home so that you get a chance to replace any part of her outfit that may make her uncomfortable - especially the shoes.

Good luck, whatever she decides to wear she will do great in the conference!

• Like 1

Does she have a black cardigan sweater?  A sweater might look better with the dress than a blazer.

Otherwise, khaki pants and a twin set or a collared shirt with a sweater.  

• Like 2

For all his stuff Ds wears a blazer, button up, tie, khakis, and formal shoes. However, that is the same as all the men since he is doing work with political people. Perhaps it is different in academia?

We went to GoodWill and found a women's extra small blazer which I then hemmed the sleeves up so they would fit. For outdoor stuff, he has a selection of various incredibly nice sweaters (far nicer than anything I own) which he wears under his blazer with the collared shirt and tie. If he is working with youth, he takes off the blazer, cuffs his sleeves, and wears dressed down skate shoes.

We have found the clothes lend him legitimacy. When he does not look the part, he is treated like a kid. It took him a bit to get used to the blazer and tie, but now you would never know.

• Like 1

I like this idea!

I disagree with the school uniform, I think it would make her look too 'schoolgirl', and.... I'm guessing a 10 year old making a presentation is going to be seen as a bit of a novelty right? I personally think adding a schoolgirl uniform on top would increase the novelty.

I would probably think about a nice black knee-length skirt, either a pencil skirt or an A line with a slight ruffle. Then a proper blouse, whatever her favourite colour, maybe with a little embelishment like the ones that have a panel at the neck, paired with matching tights. The aim being, the black skirt dresses it up, makes it look a bit business-like and formal, but the blouse keeps it casual and child-like enough that she doesn't look 'too old' and strange. 

Something perhaps like these

http://cdn12.lbstatic.nu/files/looks/large/2013/05/27/3067363_edited_look.jpg.jpg?1369694653

http://s9.thisnext.com/media/largest_dimension/3DE22723.jpg

http://img.chinaqualitycrafts.com/nimg/27/43/b8729c820d905388f196ef1db403-0x0-0/girl_s_blouse_kid_s_cloth_100_cotton_shirt_children_s_shirt_ruffle_placket_and_cuff.jpg

• Like 1

Like it or not, she's always a bit of a novelty, even when she's just attending. While SSAR has worked to include younger students with the pre-baccalaureate programs, and many colleges do bring some of their undergraduates to conferences that are close by (which may be less for this one-it's in the part of the state where we have lots of colleges, but no graduate herp programs), she is visually so much younger that it attracts notice. Even the other pre-bacs can usually blend in with the grad students, and she can't. Mostly, I just want her attire to be in the zone where she feels it's appropriate for the setting so she's as comfortable as she can be. Her biggest fear is not being taken seriously.

• Like 1

Like it or not, she's always a bit of a novelty, even when she's just attending. While SSAR has worked to include younger students with the pre-baccalaureate programs, and many colleges do bring some of their undergraduates to conferences that are close by (which may be less for this one-it's in the part of the state where we have lots of colleges, but no graduate herp programs), she is visually so much younger that it attracts notice. Even the other pre-bacs can usually blend in with the grad students, and she can't. Mostly, I just want her attire to be in the zone where she feels it's appropriate for the setting so she's as comfortable as she can be. Her biggest fear is not being taken seriously.

I would most likely dress her in the same attire as the rest of the presenters, especially considering her fears.  If she's "dressed the part" then that would be a huge worry off her mind.  She can always wear her outfit around the house for a few days to get more acclimated to it, if sensory overload is a problem.

Honestly, my initial instinct would have been to have her as "dressed" as possible.  But I'm a little old fashioned that way. 

• Like 1

I like the tunic dress idea with a blazer and leggings.  Maybe something like this?  http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2323677/about-a-girl-knit-waterfall-juniors-blazer.jsp

I know it's a juniors size, but assuming that your 10 year old is pretty close to the size of my 10 year old, I would think an XS would work.  DS can get by with a men's small these days, even if they are a bit big.  A blazer that is cut like that won't look as off as a fitted one, probably.

My DD has a couple sweaters in this style (with the extra fabric hanging down the front) -- they are super soft and comfortable.  IMO they would work perfectly in this type of situation -- they look more 'adult' without making her look grown up if you know what I mean. 

• Like 1

DD11 did a few interviews and presentations last year, and her outfit of choice was a plain knit top, a knee-length dark knit skirt, a long fine-knit sweater (without buttons, similar to the above link), and a pair of black boots that go almost to the knee. It is comfortable, easy to move in, feels grown-up, and if the room is too warm for the sweater, she still looks presentable if she needs to take it off.

• Like 1

We actually just got another snake print tunic in yesterday (I'd ordered it, with matching leggings, as a base for this year's halloween costume), so that will let her do the same basic outfit-tunic, leggings, sweater both days. As of right now, we don't know which of the two days of talks she's speaking on-and may not know until we arrive, so having something that she looks appropriate in both days is important just so she doesn't feel too out of sorts (I HOPE they put more information up before then-but so far, the only update has been the start time for day 1. I honestly don't remember when the session breakdown was out last year-it may well have been at conference sign-in).

• Like 2

We actually just got another snake print tunic in yesterday (I'd ordered it, with matching leggings, as a base for this year's halloween costume), so that will let her do the same basic outfit-tunic, leggings, sweater both days. As of right now, we don't know which of the two days of talks she's speaking on-and may not know until we arrive, so having something that she looks appropriate in both days is important just so she doesn't feel too out of sorts (I HOPE they put more information up before then-but so far, the only update has been the start time for day 1. I honestly don't remember when the session breakdown was out last year-it may well have been at conference sign-in).

I think that sounds perfectly appropriate for both her age and the setting.  Good luck to her!  I'm sure she will do a great job!

This sounds perfect!

You can dress that up or down with hair you do her hair and accessories.