Menu

What do you do when your child can't find something?

JessReplanted

:banghead:  

My son has wasted hours today looking for a calculator. He needs a calculator to complete a section of his math. His sisters also joined in the hunt. They never found it. 

I was dealing with a separate crisis and I have no idea if anyone has gotten any school work done today. 

This lost calculator thing makes me feel absolutely crazy because it is such a common occurrence around here.

What systems do you have in place for dealing with this type of stuff?

Thanks!

• Keep reminding them many many times to put things in a set place when they are done using them.

(Let them weigh in on what would be the most logical place to store the item.)

[Put things away myself since nobody listens half of the time anyway.]

Teach the "retrace your steps" technique.

Tell them they can't do some fun thing until they find the item.

Make them clean their room until they find the item.

Make them buy the next one out of their own $$ (or do extra work to earn it).

Make them clean their room / area more frequently as a consequence of being disorganized.

• Like 2

It all has a home. If it isn't in its home start cleaning until you find it.

You could threaten to buy a bunch of string and tie it all down.

In our house the calculator is an app on the computer or my phone, so I would notice if it were missing. That would be another option to limit the amount of time spent during school looking for that particular item.

I agree about a natural consequence being cleaning up until it is found before free time starts.

Sorry. Frustrating to lose things.

When that happens here, I send dh in to look for it. With the exception of a dress shoe (just one, not the pair) and one library book he has always found what's missing.

In the instance of the calculator, I'd probably do something similar to Tanaqui and send dh in to look when he was home.

It depends.  I put it in the hands of the kid most of the time.  Goodness knows I won't always be around.

Immediate steps:

Can a replacement be found?  Could work be done with a computer calculator?  If so, go with that.

If not,

Can you make a plan to buy a new one ASAP?  We make sure our kids establish 'emergency funds' they can pull from in a true emergency.

Long term, after the situation has been dealt with in the meantime:

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!

:D

That usually produces the missing item.  For common recurrences we encourage better plans in place.  My teen has 5 slides for his neckerchief.  He loses them.  I know he'll lose it, he knows he'll lose it, it's not something that he can produce a replacement to at the drop of a hat.  He made and bought a few on his own to keep in his drawer just for when he'd lose it again.

If it's truly lost, then DS has to contribute to the cost of a replacement.

If it's not lost and DS says he still can't find it after looking and then I go back through and find it, he loses privileges for wasting my time.

If he couldn't use a calculator on a cell phone or on a computer I'd have him work on all the other school subjects he had to do, and then search for the calculator...by himself...and then do the math.

Our home is so decluttered it looks a little bare. The kids and I do housework daily. Once or twice a week, I have one of the children reorganize the messy parts of the storage closet where we keep all our school supplies. Being disorganized is a drain. It feels so good to have a cute, neat home. (Don't hate me)

Some decluttering inspiration http://www.largefamiliesonpurpose.com/2011/04/de-cluttering-first-steps-to.html

My cleaning system is based on the Sidetracked Home Executives book.

• Keep reminding them many many times to put things in a set place when they are done using them.
  • (Let them weigh in on what would be the most logical place to store the item.)
  • [Put things away myself since nobody listens half of the time anyway.]
  • Teach the "retrace your steps" technique.
  • Tell them they can't do some fun thing until they find the item.
  • Make them clean their room until they find the item.
  • Make them buy the next one out of their own $$ (or do extra work to earn it).
  • Make them clean their room / area more frequently as a consequence of being disorganized.

This.

It's not just my kids, though. It's my husband too. He's lost his wallet :eek: three times in the last year. It's always been at home (and we knew it was - just where?!), but still... The last time, I bought him a Bluetooth tracker tile and required him to stick it in his wallet.

• Like 2

I do this: :banghead:

Then I bite my tongue because I was just like that when I was a teen. Then I try to help look for it. Most of the time, I can find it for him, or he eventually finds it for himself.

I eventually lost enough important things that I learned how to make my own systems and habits. I still spend time looking for my car keys or purse on the (now rare) occasions I've forgotten to put them on the key hook hanging just inside the kitchen door or on the corner of the counter just inside the kitchen door. And so forth. He'll get it eventually, but I'm not holding out much hope that he'll learn before he leaves home.

• Like 1

I'll post some suggestions after we find dh's sunglasses.

He swears he left them right there on the kitchen table, but apparently they got up and left on their own.

AGAIN.

:glare:

DS15, on the other hand, rarely loses anything. The kid watches his stuff like a hawk.

• Like 3

• (Let them weigh in on what would be the most logical place to store the item.)
  • [Put things away myself since nobody listens half of the time anyway.]
  • Teach the "retrace your steps" technique.
  • Tell them they can't do some fun thing until they find the item.
  • Make them clean their room until they find the item.
  • Make them buy the next one out of their own $$ (or do extra work to earn it).
  • Make them clean their room / area more frequently as a consequence of being disorganized.

:iagree:  especially the part I bolded. *I* might want to keep something in a box on a shelf in the kitchen, but if *they* mostly use it in the living room, then it lives there- both so they can easily PUT IT AWAY and find it themselves later.

• Like 1

This.

It's not just my kids, though. It's my husband too. He's lost his wallet :eek: three times in the last year. It's always been at home (and we knew it was - just where?!), but still... The last time, I bought him a Bluetooth tracker tile and required him to stick it in his wallet.

Off to purchase a dozen or so of these tracker tiles - for DH's wallet, keys, work badge, etc.

• Like 1

It all has a home. If it isn't in its home start cleaning until you find it.

<snip>

I agree about a natural consequence being cleaning up until it is found before free time starts.

Sorry. Frustrating to lose things.

This is sort of how I handle it. However, I would temporarily table the math (or whatever the item-required subject is), move on to complete the other school work, with the clean til you find it coming at the end of the day and then of course the missed lesson.

I try to help them anticipate the evening before for days when there are outclasses.

• Like 1

Usually ( and I have those distracted days too) we move on to the other stuff then they need to find it and do the work. If they don't find it all day they will be

1) buying a new one

2) if it's too expensive work it off an probably have their school extended to Sat to catch up. My youngest is 8 though, when they were below 6or 7 I sometimes helped eventually.

I would tell him/her to skip it and hopefully it will turn up by tomorrow.  I wouldn't waste more than 5 minutes looking for it.

Or you could offer a piece of candy to whomever can locate the lost object. :)  Chances are, said object will appear quickly.