Menu

Powerful message from a soldier

This happens to be a message to Barack Obama from one of our American soldiers (and, ultimately, a vote for John McCain) but, for me, it turned into a tremendous tribute to our American service personnel. It is because that message was so powerful that I wanted to share it here. No matter who you support for the presidency, do yourself a favor and experience this message through the eyes of one of our true national heroes. (If you support Obama, just disregard the plug for McCain). Dh, my 15yo and I all three were quite emotional by the time this video came to a complete end. Be sure to watch to the very end (at least until the screen goes black)!

Thank God for our American Soldiers!!!

Blessings,

Sharon (whose maternal grandfather (24 yo 100st Airborne paratrooper) gave his life in Holland a few months after having jumped on D-Day in Normandy)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TG4fe9GlWS8

as a former army person myself I have to say this video speaks volumes. It conveys the sentiments of many military personnel. I was a helicopter flight medic during the first Gulf War and to pick up injured soldiers only to have them ask how soon they can get back out there is truly a testament to their will to complete a mission; a mission they believe in. They still believe (at least the ones I'm still in contact with do).

I might ad that as a former person in the military when I ask myself who do I want to be commander-in-chief of our military the only answer is McCain. Someone who's been there, done that, and knows what he is asking those soldiers to take on. I also think that Palin, as she is sending her oldest son to Iraq tomorrow, also knows the sacrifice.

Just my point of view from a former military standpoint. I don't speak for everyone in the military, obviously, these are just my musings.

as a former army person myself I have to say this video speaks volumes. It conveys the sentiments of many military personnel. I was a helicopter flight medic during the first Gulf War and to pick up injured soldiers only to have them ask how soon they can get back out there is truly a testament to their will to complete a mission; a mission they believe in. They still believe (at least the ones I'm still in contact with do).

I might ad that as a former person in the military when I ask myself who do I want to be commander-in-chief of our military the only answer is McCain. Someone who's been there' date=' done that, and knows what he is asking those soldiers to take on. I also think that Palin, as she is sending her oldest son to Iraq tomorrow, also knows the sacrifice.

Just my point of view from a former military standpoint. I don't speak for everyone in the military, obviously, these are just my musings.[/quote']

Bev, thank you for posting, especially since I truly do not desire for this to turn into a political thread. My sole reason for posting was to honor our brave men and women, like my grandfather, the young man who was in the video and *you* who serve (or have served) us so well.

Sincerely, I say, "thank you"!

I may just be emotional because of 9/11 but this video is making the tears well up in my eyes. Thanks for posting it.

Oh, yeah. That's exactly what happened to us and I just had to share. May God truly bless every one of those who are standing in the gap between us and those that threaten our freedoms. Truly, they are *heroes* to me. This was just one way I found to try to honor them.

Oh, yeah. That's exactly what happened to us and I just had to share. May God truly bless every one of those who are standing in the gap between us and those that threaten our freedoms. Truly, they are *heroes* to me. This was just one way I found to try to honor them.

I watched it, I cried. My brother has been there a little over a week.

Let's honor today by standing proud that our country is in war (except we normal humans have nothing related to the wars going on; the only people suffering are all those "others"). By "others" I mean all those distant families in Iraq, Afghanistan etc. who are suffering to just get food on the table, not to speak of trying to go get that food without being shot down.

I understand that historically the US was a country built on war-faring and celebration of its warriors, but sociologically isn't it time to move on and solve world problems -and local threats- in other ways?

BTW I did not watch the video. I am so anti-war and anti-gun that that in itself might be called unpatriotic. And that is war in general and guns in general (not due any political party's majority rule).

P.S. I am not downplaying the emotions of people who directly lost loved ones on this day 7 years ago. Please don't mistake that.

Very teary now...I have 2 uncles, one aunt, my dad and my brother all fought for this country. It does hurt them greatly when they hear people calling what they did a "mistake".

"When you call the war a mistake, you disrepect the service and the sacrifice..." (per the video)

That was beautiful.

This happens to be a message to Barack Obama from one of our American soldiers (and, ultimately, a vote for John McCain) but, for me, it turned into a tremendous tribute to our American service personnel. It is because that message was so powerful that I wanted to share it here. No matter who you support for the presidency, do yourself a favor and experience this message through the eyes of one of our true national heroes. (If you support Obama, just disregard the plug for McCain). Dh, my 15yo and I all three were quite emotional by the time this video came to a complete end. Be sure to watch to the very end (at least until the screen goes black)!

Thank God for our American Soldiers!!!

Blessings,

Sharon (whose maternal grandfather (24 yo 100st Airborne paratrooper) gave his life in Holland a few months after having jumped on D-Day in Normandy)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TG4fe9GlWS8

As a Gulf War Vet :iagree: and you wrote what beautifully what I believe and feel thank you!

Let's honor today by standing proud that our country is in war (except we normal humans have nothing related to the wars going on; the only people suffering are all those "others"). By "others" I mean all those distant families in Iraq, Afghanistan etc. who are suffering to just get food on the table, not to speak of trying to go get that food without being shot down.

I understand that historically the US was a country built on war-faring and celebration of its warriors, but sociologically isn't it time to move on and solve world problems -and local threats- in other ways?

BTW I did not watch the video. I am so anti-war and anti-gun that that in itself might be called unpatriotic. And that is war in general and guns in general (not due any political party's majority rule).

P.S. I am not downplaying the emotions of people who directly lost loved ones on this day 7 years ago. Please don't mistake that.

the message of the video was sacrifice and the price of freedom...there is also quite a bit about the Iraqis ...

You may not like what he said, you may even disagree, but it was not "propaganda".

When the video is addressed to Mr Obama and tag slate is "John McCain for President", as is the case here, I respectfully must disagree. This is an explicitly political (and partisan) video in support of John McCain.

Bill

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

-- John Stuart Mill

All soldiers who have the courage to go to Iraq or even just enlist should be proud of themselves as I'm sure their families and country are. Not just the soldiers who think the war is not a mistake, but those who do think it is a mistake. Link

When the video is addressed to Mr Obama and tag slate is "John McCain for President", as is the case here, I respectfully must disagree. This is an explicitly political (and partisan) video in support of John McCain.

Bill

:iagree:

Very teary now...I have 2 uncles, one aunt, my dad and my brother all fought for this country. It does hurt them greatly when they hear people calling what they did a "mistake".

"When you call the war a mistake, you disrepect the service and the sacrifice..." (per the video)

That was beautiful.

I'm truly sorry your relatives are hurt when people call the war they were involved in a mistake. I mean no disrespect to the soldiers that are fighting and I hold them in high respect, actually. But I don't agree with this war. I think it was a mistake. Not all wars are, of course and not everyone will agree.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

-- John Stuart Mill

This is why I and my family do not believe protecting and defending our liberties is a mistake. Until every person on this earth becomes a self-governing person, we will have to protect and defend our liberties. Defending this liberty is the reason my family has taken the risk that they could die. It is that important.

I'm truly sorry your relatives are hurt when people call the war they were involved in a mistake. I mean no disrespect to the soldiers that are fighting and I hold them in high respect, actually. But I don't agree with this war. I think it was a mistake. Not all wars are, of course and not everyone will agree.

It's ok that you think it was a mistake. You have that right.

However, my DH, my nephew, and my Nephew-in-law who have served over there...they do not think it is a mistake.

Their opinion is what matters most to me.

However, my DH, my nephew, and my Nephew-in-law who have served over there...they do not think it is a mistake.

Their opinion is what matters most to me as well. :)

I just have to say this - thankfully, those who feel the war is a mistake have the freedom to express their feelings because of the sacrifices made my our loved ones. It is that very freedom for which I am thankful and most appreciative!

Absolutely, that is exactly what I was saying and you should be very proud! :)

I am also proud of the members of the members of the 82nd Airborne and the sacrifice that they gave (some of them with their life) and they do think it was a mistake. I am also proud of the soldier serving in Iraq who made this video. I am not more proud of one than the other (although if ANY of them were a relative/friend like you have then their opinion would matter more to me too!)

I just have to say this - thankfully, those who feel the war is a mistake have the freedom to express their feelings because of the sacrifices made my our loved ones. It is that very freedom for which I am thankful and most appreciative!

To me the message from the soldier was that the war is helping Iraq and it was not a mistake and if you say it was a mistake then you "disrespect the service and the sacrifice of everyone who has died fighting for freedom" and because Barack Obama "sir, you do not appreciate these principles, I am voting for John McCain"

Even though YOU did not post this to promote John McCain, this soldier did.

I hear what you're saying. Now that I have taken every opportunity to clarify the intent of this post, I respectfully request that any future responses to this thread be limited to only the good that can be said for our service men and women who, as we speak, have their lives on the line.

Absolutely, that is exactly what I was saying and you should be very proud! :)

I am also proud of the members of the members of the 82nd Airborne and the sacrifice that they gave (some of them with their life) and they do think it was a mistake. I am also proud of the soldier serving in Iraq who made this video. I am not more proud of one than the other (although if ANY of them were a relative/friend like you have then their opinion would matter more to me too!)

We may not agree on this war but I really appreciate what you are saying here.

Based on my assertion that the video is NOT propaganda and Car's assertion that it IS.

Bill

Well, I suppose it is based on which definition of propaganda you use. Some are more benign than others.

If you accept that "It acquired negative connotations in the 20th century when totalitarian regimes (principally the Nazi Germany) used every means to distort facts and spread total falsehoods." then it was certainly not propaganda.

If you accept the Webster definition that it is "the spreading of ideas, information, or rumor for the purpose of helping or injuring an institution, a cause, or a person" then we must agree that every time Obama's (or McCain's) lips move they are spreading propaganda.

I prefer the first definition and in that case unless you can show that he was "spreading total falsehoods," not simply giving an opinion, what he produced was most certainly not propaganda. Given that he was over there, and I suspect you were not, you have a hard row to hoe.

Well, I suppose it is based on which definition of propaganda you use. Some are more benign than others.

If you accept that "It acquired negative connotations in the 20th century when totalitarian regimes (principally the Nazi Germany) used every means to distort facts and spread total falsehoods." then it was cetainly not propaganda.

If you accept the Webster definition that it is "the spreading of ideas, information, or rumor for the purpose of helping or injuring an institution, a cause, or a person" then we must agree that every time Obama's (or McCain's) lips move they are spreading propaganda.

I prefer the first definition and in that case unless you can show that he was "spreading total falsehoods," not simply giving an opinion, what he produced was most certainly not propaganda. Given that he was over there, and I suspect you were not, you have a hard row to hoe.

I was going with definition #2.

A "similar" advertisement from a veteran attacking John McCain and ending with a slate saying "Vote for Barack Obama for President" would also qualify as "political propaganda" in my book.

It is every American's right to express his or her opinion, and this most certainly includes the brave men and women who put themselves in harm's way serving in the military, but let's not pretend this sort of "video" isn't expressly political. Because it is political and partisan.

And I thought we all sort of had a gentle(wo)man's agreement to lay off this sort of thing for one day.

Bill

Do you feel that the OP's disclaimer at the beginning of her post was a genuine attempt to try and thwart any discussion that could become contentious?

I understand your passionate feeling on the issue, however. When one has feelings one way or the other on political issues, it can strike an undesirable chord.

Now, I should mention that I am a card-carrying Republican, so perhaps I have a bias in my presentation. Yet, I have avoided some of the Obama posts because of the very subject you have mentioned. Not that I think it is propaganda, but that my reaction becomes heightened one way or the other.

I do believe you have expressed yourself fairly (though I did not see your deleted post).

But I must respectfully disagree that the video was propaganda. I do believe it was pro-McCain and anti-Obama, but not propaganda.

Blessings,

Camy

Perhaps it would have been better if I'd said the video has an intrinsically partisan political purpose, as "propaganda" is a term open to being interpreted in a fashion I did not intend. As I said, I would have labeled an anti-McCain/pro-Obama video with the same term (propaganda), and do not mean to accuse anyone of "spreading falsehoods". But they are engaging in partisan politics, correct?

Sounds fair, Bill. But who do you refer to as "they?" Is it the posters here in the thread, the person in the video, or both?

Overall, I understand what you are saying, and agree that you have presented your opinion fairly...but remember, we women get pretty upset at times (I'm speaking for myself and some others), and we are worse than a bunch of riled up chickens w/ a fox in the henhouse! LOL.

Especially a few of us who are loyalists (grin).

Blessings,

Camy

I hate that anyone has to serve, but I am so thankful for those who step up and do it. That includes my grandfather, dad, brothers, and husband.

Sounds fair, Bill. But who do you refer to as "they?" Is it the posters here in the thread, the person in the video, or both?

When I used "they" I was thinking of the people who made the video, as I have a feeling (which may be incorrect) that more than one person was likely involved in its production.

Overall, I understand what you are saying, and agree that you have presented your opinion fairly...but remember, we women get pretty upset at times (I'm speaking for myself and some others), and we are worse than a bunch of riled up chickens w/ a fox in the henhouse! LOL.

Especially a few of us who are loyalists (grin).

Blessings,

Camy

Ah...I raise chickens, so I get your point :D

Bill

that the video may have been sponsored, yet I would not be surprised if this was just a passionate soldier expressing his personal views.

I was raised by Marines, you see. They do some interesting things that usually involve "going over the top." (We used to call my dad "The Great Santini" if you are familiar with that movie about a Marine Corps father). I think that those who have gone to war have experienced something many cannot comprehend. (I am not assuming that you are not one of these people, because I do not know).

But, it will be an interesting election, it is certain, with all of this passion flying around.

Blessings,

Camy

(oh, about raising chickens, sometimes when a predator just happens to get a hold of one of my birds..the one who got out of the pen during the day and doesn't make it into lock-up...I lay there at night, hearing its suffering, yet I am thinking "Just shut up already! Die and get it done with!" Am I crazy or just a battle weary chicken lady? LOL)

that the video may have been sponsored, yet I would not be surprised if this was just a passionate soldier expressing his personal views.

I was raised by Marines, you see. They do some interesting things that usually involve "going over the top." (We used to call my dad "The Great Santini" if you are familiar with that movie about a Marine Corps father). I think that those who have gone to war have experienced something many cannot comprehend. (I am not assuming that you are not one of these people, because I do not know).

But, it will be an interesting election, it is certain, with all of this passion flying around.

Blessings,

Camy

(oh, about raising chickens, sometimes when a predator just happens to get a hold of one of my birds..the one who got out of the pen during the day and doesn't make it into lock-up...I lay there at night, hearing its suffering, yet I am thinking "Just shut up already! Die and get it done with!" Am I crazy or just a battle weary chicken lady? LOL)

Well, we have something in common as I was raised by a World War II Marine fighter-pilot who was very nearly killed in the war, and remains one tough-fellow (at 88).

He is, I'll admit, not your stereotypical "great Santini" type Marine (Dad is a liberal), but I sure grew up with my father being my hero, and admiring the role he played securing our freedom.

Sometimes (and this is not directed at you) it is forgotten that patriots come from both sides of the political spectrum.

Bill

wait a sec....military spouses....Mrs. Mungo....verify this for me....but I was under the impression that active military personnel are not permitted to back a political candidate... so that does give me pause here.... KWIM?:confused:

I'd never heard that before! I'd be interested to know if that is the case.

And I fully support my nephew - my brother's only son - who is now serving his 3rd tour in Iraq.

I'm hoping he'll soon be home!! We miss him. :(

I'd never heard that before! I'd be interested to know if that is the case.

And I fully support my nephew - my brother's only son - who is now serving his 3rd tour in Iraq.

I'm hoping he'll soon be home!! We miss him. :(

I'm fairly certain that it is true....however, upon ACTUALLY viewing the video...I see that he is (allegedly) a veteran....and not likely active duty considering he has lost a leg....

Actually, us "normal humans" do have things relating to a war. Many of the wives on there have husbands deployed. Others have brothers, sisters or children deployed. I, personally, have a ds in Army basic training at this very moment. He will most likely deploy as soon as his training is finished. No, we don't live in a war zone exactly. That does not make the war distant or unreal to us.

I appreciate those who serve in the military. I am *POSITIVE* I have a much better appreciation for the sacrifice than most of the people on this board.

My husband has served as an active duty Army officer for over 14 years. He has two combat tour under his belt. Last year I attended 10 funerals for people under the age of 35. All of them husbands and fathers. We've lost good friends in service to their nation.

I've cried my eyes out because I missed my husband on Christmas or with fear when I watched the news on the wrong day or with relief when I finally got a phone call that let me know it wasn't my husband who was killed or injured.

You *will not* find people more loyal, dedicated and patriotic to this nation than my husband and I.

I would therefore appreciate people not question our judgment, knowledge of the facts or patriotism because we're not voting for John McCain.

And Nakitty, the soldier in the video has probably been medically discharged. Very few amputees are allowed to stay on active duty, even if they want to do so. But you are correct. My husband cannot make a similar video backing his candidate, it would be illegal for him to do so.

I found the video to be very touching, especially today since my thoughts have been on 9/11/2001. My nephew just returned from his 2nd tour in Iraq; thankfully, healthy. I spoke with him recently, and I could sense the great amount of pride he had for the privilege to serve our country. Yes, he said it was a privilege to serve in Iraq.

I've referred to this war as a mistake more times than I could count. Today, for the first time, I realized how offensive that could be to people who have loved ones or are they themselves in Iraq. I tried for a moment to imagine that my son or husband had died in the war and how I would feel if someone called it a mistake. Made me stop and think - although I never meant that anyone's sacrifice was a mistake. Nor was my nephew's pride for serving Iraq a mistake. This war breaks my heart and makes me very sad, but I don't think I'll be able to call it a mistake again.

Thank you to everyone who has made the sacrifices necessary so our troops can go where they're needed. You have all my admiration.

Janet

Little did I know that 7 years ago, watching the towers fall with my 13yo, would bring us along a journey leading to active duty Naval service. Or that a year ago, I'd be comforting her coming home from the funeral service for a dear friend of hers, killed in Iraq. The video was powerful. My dd's decision was not to serve her country for a "mistake" but for her love of her country, nor was Alun's death for a "mistake". Lest we forget:

http://archives.subscribermail.com/msg/dbd1e3a2e3554f1dba41e5ce4695fe78.htm

Click on Never Forget and then free audio.

I wrote something very similar to this on my blog this morning. 7 years ago my ds was 12. I remember thinking I was glad he wasn't old enough to join the military. Well... he is in Basic Training for an artillery position right now. I am so proud of him words cannot even describe how I feel.

Why is it that some citizens believe that one must support all our government military operations to be patriotic? Or that opposition to a military operation is the equivalent of disdain for those carrying out the orders of their president? I get the impression here that people feel they must apologize for or qualify their opposition to the 2nd Gulf War. Maybe I am misreading. I naturally assume that most all people are grateful to those willing to serve in military.

Why is it that some citizens believe that one must support all our government military operations to be patriotic? Or that opposition to a military operation is the equivalent of disdain for those carrying out the orders of their president? I get the impression here that people feel they must apologize for or qualify their opposition to the 2nd Gulf War. Maybe I am misreading. I naturally assume that most all people are grateful to those willing to serve in military.

I don't think you must support every gov. military operation to be patriotic. But the post by Osmosis Mom was a little insulting. We "normal" people do deal with the war. In the Nat. Guard, people go from civilian jobs making good money, to army pay. In most cases it is a significant cut. I know Nat. Guard families who are struggling to make ends meet while their spouse is deployed. And there is the reality that their loved one may not come home.

I also am pretty darn certain the troops over there aren't taking pot shots at people going out to get food. If someone needs to be blamed for the risks these people face every day, lets put it at the feet of the terrorists who are using women and down syndrome children as suicide bombers against their own people.

Whether you agree with the war or not, it's pretty awful to read that she believes we're killing people on their way to the store. And it shows an ignorance of what is really happening all over Iraq. My brother is in a combat unit. He saw heavy combat his first tour and now, this second tour he has done much more humanitarian work. Making sure the Iraqi civilians have jobs and are able to provide for themselves. Making sure their business are protected from the terrorists. Helping to build schools and hospitals. This war isn't about shooting innocent civilians. And even a little bit of research would show that loud and clear to anyone who took the time to be a little less violently anti-war.

http://www.michaelyon-online.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=276:the-hands-of-god&catid=63:archive-2007&Itemid=108

I understand hating war. I HATE the war. But I also am aware that sometimes war is the "least worst" option (I think that was from Churchill). And even if we are so enlightened as to never have the *need* to fight, I guarantee that the whole world isn't that enlightened.

I've referred to this war as a mistake more times than I could count. Today, for the first time, I realized how offensive that could be to people who have loved ones or are they themselves in Iraq. I tried for a moment to imagine that my son or husband had died in the war and how I would feel if someone called it a mistake. Made me stop and think - although I never meant that anyone's sacrifice was a mistake. Nor was my nephew's pride for serving Iraq a mistake. This war breaks my heart and makes me very sad, but I don't think I'll be able to call it a mistake again.

...I can't remember a time when I've appreciated a post this much.

I'm not going to get into my personal opinions of the war, but I am going to say that my opinions about war time are very strongly tilted towards not dragging the military into it. LOL, of course they're in it, already; what I'm trying to say is that using the men and women of the military's sacrifice as political fodder, either way (to bolster either stance) is incredibly insulting to me (a military wife who has given birth and celebrated holidays without my husband while he serves, not to mention watching him sit down with our kids to explain that he might not be coming home).

I greatly appreciate someone realizing that words can be powerful, and phrasings can be insulting...and admitting it.

Mad props to you. :D

If I could rep you a hundred times, I would.

I found the video to be very touching, especially today since my thoughts have been on 9/11/2001. My nephew just returned from his 2nd tour in Iraq; thankfully, healthy. I spoke with him recently, and I could sense the great amount of pride he had for the privilege to serve our country. Yes, he said it was a privilege to serve in Iraq.

Thank you to everyone who has made the sacrifices necessary so our troops can go where they're needed. You have all my admiration.

Janet

(((Janet)))

Why would it be wise to move away from war-faring and celebrating our warriors? War and the threat of war does not seem to have become obsolete. I seem to recall a certain date in September...

Especially on the point of moving beyond celebrating our warriors, should a warrior that fell in 1778 be more celebrated than a warrior that fell in 2008?

As far as Iraq goes, although I do not support Obama, I would love for our troops to come home next year. Not because what they are doing is not amazing and important, but because our country is simply going bankrupt.