Menu

The eggs in my fridge froze

Beaniemom

Fresh being the operative word, Lanny :rofl: If mine weren't from some mega farm feeding Costco I'd probably leave them out, too!

/I want my own damn chickens.

In the future, there is *no* reason for you to put fresh eggs into a refrigerator.  None of the supermarkets where I shop have eggs refrigerated. They are all open to fresh air and normal temperatures.

Lanny, do you live in the US or in Europe?

In the US, it is required to refrigerate eggs in stores for two reasons. First, we do not generally vaccinate chickens against salmonella, which means that our eggs have a higher rate of salmonella contamination than they do overseas. Second, we require eggs to be washed. In Europe, washing is often banned, because washing destroys the protective layer called the cuticle, which means our eggs spoil more quickly if not refrigerated. And since our eggs come from the store refrigerated, if we take them home to our warm home and leave them on the counter, they rapidly will develop a layer of condensation which further increases the risk of contamination of the egg within.

Leaving eggs out at room temperature, therefore, is much riskier in the US than in Europe.

• Like 3

In the future, there is *no* reason for you to put fresh eggs into a refrigerator.  None of the supermarkets where I shop have eggs refrigerated. They are all open to fresh air and normal temperatures.

There certainly is! In the US, eggs are washed before sale (I think it's a USDA requirement). This causes a protective coating to be destroyed, which allows for the egg to become more easily contaminated. Refrigerating store bought eggs is a must here! 

• Like 5

There certainly is! In the US, eggs are washed before sale (I think it's a USDA requirement). This causes a protective coating to be destroyed, which allows for the egg to become more easily contaminated. Refrigerating store bought eggs is a must here! 

Yes, this.  I only leave the unwashed eggs we get from a local farm out on the counter.

In the future, there is *no* reason for you to put fresh eggs into a refrigerator. None of the supermarkets where I shop have eggs refrigerated. They are all open to fresh air and normal temperatures.

In the US, you do need to keep store-bought eggs refrigerated.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/09/11/336330502/why-the-u-s-chills-its-eggs-and-most-of-the-world-doesnt

• Like 2

Fresh being the operative word, Lanny :rofl: If mine weren't from some mega farm feeding Costco I'd probably leave them out, too!

/I want my own damn chickens.

I asked for chickens for my birthday the same year we moved to our farm (moved in June 30th, had my chickens by the end of Aug).

Granted, the cashier at Tractor Supply looked at hubby strangely after he told her he was getting the chicken supplies for me for my birthday.  "Umm... does your wife know she's getting chickens for her birthday???"  "Oh definitely. She asked for them!"  He then said she shook her head and seemed to look at him even more strangely.   :coolgleamA:

But I have never regretted the decision.  I absolutely love having our own eggs.  And I don't mind being weird.   :lol:

I asked for chickens for my birthday the same year we moved to our farm (moved in June 30th, had my chickens by the end of Aug).

Granted, the cashier at Tractor Supply looked at hubby strangely after he told her he was getting the chicken supplies for me for my birthday.  "Umm... does your wife know she's getting chickens for her birthday???"  "Oh definitely. She asked for them!"  He then said she shook her head and seemed to look at him even more strangely.   :coolgleamA:

But I have never regretted the decision.  I absolutely love having our own eggs.  And I don't mind being weird.   :lol:

Still remember my granny telling all the little old ladies at her garden club that her granddaughter really wanted bull semen for her birthday. 

• Like 1