Menu

Washington DC with young kids? Updated the OP with one more question.

three4me

We're going to be in Washington DC in a couple weeks and I need some help planning. The kids are ages 1, 5, and 7. We'll really only have about three days for sightseeing and plan to spend one of those at Mt. Vernon. I'd love some other ideas of things the kids might enjoy.

Thanks!

OK, one more question since you all have been so helpful. How about a couple of good nature spots to visit? Trails to walk? Woodsy parks to explore? That kind of thing. Thanks again!

We used to live in the DC area.  At those ages my kids enjoyed the zoo, riding the metro, going to Gravelly Point (it is right on the edge of the runway at National and the planes fly right over your head as they take off or land - landing is better), and some of the Smithsonian museums (science and aerospace come to mind).

My son loved Gravelly Point too.  We lived near there and he liked to watch the airplanes.  It's a great spot.

• Like 1

Lol about the Metro. My dc loved it more than anything else when they were young. That's a thrill in & of itself (including the really tall escalators in some of the stations)!

Agreeing w/ much that has already been said:

Zoo

Hands-on kids section at the Museum of the American Indian

Dino hall at Natural History

Gravelly Point

A boat ride on the Potomac

Smithsonian Postal Museum (which has some cool hands-on stuff for kids too) -- it is by Union Station which is neat to see (& also has a food court)

If you're doing Mt. Vernon, I'd highly recommend also driving down the road to the other part of Mt. Vernon -- the gristmill & distillery. Those are very neat & fun for young kids too.

Also, since the museums on the mall tend to close around rush hour for the Metro, we always carried snacks, a small cloth or squishy frisbee (can be bought at Air & Space museum shop), & some other little toys with us & let the kids play & hang out on the mall for about an hour before we attempted the Metro. It was always a great & fun way to end the day. There are tons of people on the mall at that time of day -- joggers, teams (soccer, volleyball, etc...) practicing, etc....

We went to DC when Ds's were 3 ad 5... summer before K and switching to homeschooling...

The zoo was great and easy to combine with an always popular Metro ride. Natural History was a hit, though less so than expected... We did the modern wing of the National Gallery. Air and Space was a complete fiasco. It was way too crowded and the kids couldn't get up close with the exhibits. 3 years later, DS6 is still indignant we couldn't go in to the cockpits... The industrial age exhibits on the ground floor of American History were popular and probably the most popular thing on the Mall.

I assumed we would make it back to DC at a later point so had relatively low expectations. We had an AirBnB place in the Eastern Market. The most vivid things the boys remember is going down to the Navy Yards and then DS3 unintentionally falling full length into a fountain/wading pool. Younger DS is alot like Paddington... "Things just happen to him... he's that sort of bear".

I agree with zoo, museum of natural history, and aerospace.

My kids like all of these. They also enjoyed the Hirshorn sculpture garden and the Arboretum. My kids really liked the koi pond, bonsai collection, and the tram. Also, think about having picnics. Museum food can be overpriced and underwhelming and dc picnics are so nice.

Lol about the Metro. My dc loved it more than anything else when they were young. That's a thrill in & of itself (including the really tall escalators in some of the stations)!

Agreeing w/ much that has already been said:

Zoo

Hands-on kids section at the Museum of the American Indian

Dino hall at Natural History

Gravelly Point

A boat ride on the Potomac

Smithsonian Postal Museum (which has some cool hands-on stuff for kids too) -- it is by Union Station which is neat to see (& also has a food court)

If you're doing Mt. Vernon, I'd highly recommend also driving down the road to the other part of Mt. Vernon -- the gristmill & distillery. Those are very neat & fun for young kids too.

Also, since the museums on the mall tend to close around rush hour for the Metro, we always carried snacks, a small cloth or squishy frisbee (can be bought at Air & Space museum shop), & some other little toys with us & let the kids play & hang out on the mall for about an hour before we attempted the Metro. It was always a great & fun way to end the day. There are tons of people on the mall at that time of day -- joggers, teams (soccer, volleyball, etc...) practicing, etc....

Thanks everyone! You've given me some great ideas! I especially love they idea of packing a soft Frisbee!

DC Ducks, Uses old military amphibious vehicles that give you a tour on land and on the water. You get to sit.

Union Station for the upstairs hall, magnificent, and the downstairs, fast food, plus bathrooms.

Outdoor monuments on the mall, allow time for walking, do not try to see them all, lol.

Dumbarton Oaks, beautiful gardens OR the National Botanic Garden, greenhouses right on the mall.

Postal Museum, next to Union Station, no lines that I remember.

If they like heights, the Old Post Office Tower.

Metro IS wonderful, but make sure that your dc are not scared of it.

My dc found Air & Space disappointing, just too crowded, full of screaming children every time we have been. They do have some ok planetarium shows, but I would skip it.

Washington at night is gorgeous, and not much traffic around the mall at that time.

Check out the Kennedy Center to see if they have any kid things for free performances. Plan to take a car or taxi to get there. Great views.

I am only willing to do the Air and Space Museum on a weekday when school is in session. We get there when it opens, stay for an hour or two at the very most, and leave when it's getting too crowded. That's not necessarily enough time to see everything if you just go once, but it's much better than trying to see anything when it's crowded.

• Like 1

Check out the Kennedy Center to see if they have any kid things for free performances. Plan to take a car or taxi to get there. Great views.

The Kennedy Center runs a shuttle to the that nearest metro. I've never had to wait very long for it in either direction. It's free and clearly marked.

• Like 1

A bit off topic, but HERE'S MY BEST ZOO TIP.

If you take the Metro, get off at the station PAST the zoo. The zoo is about midway between the Woodley Park-Zoo Metro station and the Cleveland Park Metro station.  Get off at Cleveland Park Station. From there, the zoo is a slight downhill walk.  When you leave the zoo, continue down that same street and catch the Metro at the Woodley Park station.  That way, your walk will be all downhill, instead of having to go uphill when first arriving just to get to the zoo.  The zoo itself is also on a bit of a downslope, although neither are "hills" or otherwise unmanageable.

• Like 5

The Zoo is fun for little ones.  We saw the baby elephant nursing and playing with a ball once.

My daughter liked the Natural History museum and the American History Museum when she was pretty young.  I recall that the Museum of the American Indian was interesting too.  Oh, and the Air and Space Museum at Udvar-Hazy is very appealing to children too.

If we get back to DC in the next few years, the Cathedral and the National Gallery are definitely on my list.  The Cathedral is gorgeous, and my children would love to see some of the paintings they've studied in the Gallery.

• Like 1

If we get back to DC in the next few years, the Cathedral and the National Gallery are definitely on my list.  The Cathedral is gorgeous, and my children would love to see some of the paintings they've studied in the Gallery.

We went back to DC this summer after initially visiting in 2010. My boys were asking to go back because it had been 5 years and they wanted to do some things as bigger kids.

In 2010 we walked through a few rooms of the National Gallery and that was it--it just didn't hold their attention. This time we spent 5 hours there--it was our favorite part of the trip. 

We also went to a Sunday night service at the National Cathedral and walked around there a bit--something we didn't do on our earlier trip.

Frisbee on the mall and the monuments at night were a couple of other highlights. Oh, and kayaking on the Potomac.

It's neat to re-visit a vacation spot after the kids are a bit older. Their change in perspective even after just 5 years is huge!

• Like 2

I used to bike a nice trail which ran from the Crystal City area to Old Town, Alexandria, skirting along the river.  Surely, it is still  there....

Things may have changed, but when I lived in Crystal City years ago there wasn't really anything to do; however, Old Town is terrific for kids.  The trail is/was VERY long, and it ends/ended at the Torpedo Factory, so I would start there (at the TF), and walk until you are tired then turn back (toward Old Town/TF).

Hopefully, someone will chime in about the trail.

Re: nature spots -- all along the George Washington Parkway, there is a bike/walking path (be careful as the bikers go really fast!!!) along the Potomac. There are picnic tables at various places too. So, that's pleasant & nice. Mt. Vernon has some beautiful outdoor spaces for kids to walk & run, esp. as you go to the parts that are down near the river. The Mt. Vernon Gristmill & Distillery has a small grassy area where some creeks converge; we always loved having a picnic there as it was generally never crowded & was a lovely little area. Gravelly Point is basically a big grassy field, but it is not relaxing because planes are loudly taking off or landing right over your head, lol.

Along the Mall, there is the Mall itself, which is a great outdoor space for running, frisbee, etc.... There are also some outdoor sculpture gardens along the Mall which are cool to see (but don't climb on the sculptures). And don't forget that the Mall has a furn outdoor carousel that is a must-ride, esp. for younger kids.

The Claude Moore Colonial Farm would be a way to combine sightseeing with outdoors time, if you wanted. It is also along the George Washington Parkway.

There are also trails, mule-pulled canal boats, etc... along the C&O Canal. (The mule-pulled canal boat ride is really neat but now you have to go further out to get one. We did it when it was still available in Georgetown.)

I know my answers may not be 'traditional' hiking type trails or anything, but I was always pleasantly surprised at how many gorgeous outdoor spaces DC has that make it a perfect place to hang out with kids.

• Like 1

If you only have three days and will be spending one of them at Mt. Vernon, I wouldn't recommend that you do any nature spots beyond what's right there. The Botanic Gardens are great and right there. Do that instead. Or, if you happen to be staying in Georgetown, talk a walk on the canal path.

If your kids need more outdoor time, I would suggest instead that you do a play fountain. If you're staying in Georgetown, the one in Georgetown Waterfront Park is really fun - giant thick jets of water. The views along the Potomac are nice. There's a cool little labyrinth walk there too. It's a nice new landscaped park. Or, if you're staying on the Hill or downtown, the Yards Park is also really neat - another cool, newer, landscaped park. The play fountain there is a giant shallow pool with a waterfall and some spray jets. Nice view of the ballpark and the Anacostia.

If you're just nature nuts though, my three favorite area nature spots are Kennilworth Aquatic Gardens, Great Falls Park, and Roosevelt Island. The aquatic gardens are past peak now, but the lotuses are still up and there are still, I'm sure, enough blooms to satisfy your wonder and there are plenty of water lilies as well. There's a marsh walk at the far end. It's just a very special place and one that the vast majority of tourists (and even, inexplicably to me, locals) don't seem to know about. Great Falls has two sides - the Virginia side and the Maryland side, which is actually part of the C&O park. I like the Maryland side better, but both are nice. The Maryland side has the canal path and canal boats and there's a lovely little walk along the path out to the little island where you view the falls. The bridges go over some incredibly powerful water. The Virginia side also has a nature center. This is a decent trip outside the city - more like going to Mt. Vernon. Finally, I love Roosevelt Island. It's nothing special, though the TR statue and plaza is sort of neat, but there's a nice flat walk that goes over a lot of different terrain, including the marsh. It's just a pretty spot that I know very well.

• Like 3

I'm telling you, just four miles from The Mall is the 400+ acre National Arboretum. It's free. The parking is free. The picnic area is nice. Their website isn't all that inviting, but I'll link the virtual tour page so you can decide if it's for your crew or not.

http://www.usna.usda.gov/Gardens/collections/VirtualTours/USNA_All_01.html

• Like 1

I am consistently underwhelmed by the Arboretum and while you can eat a picnic at the designated areas, the designated areas are not so nice and the staff are not kind about even a little kid carrying around a cracker or something anywhere else. I have had more run ins with that staff than anywhere else in DC. I know it's a slight bit farther (technically they abut, but you have to go a few miles around to get to the entrance) but this time of year when there are still some lotuses standing, I say do the aquatic gardens if you want to go have a picnic. They don't care where you eat because they're national park rangers. :)

ETA: The one thing that could make the arboretum worth it is if you're into bonzai trees. The collection is really good and extensive.

I am consistently underwhelmed by the Arboretum and while you can eat a picnic at the designated areas, the designated areas are not so nice and the staff are not kind about even a little kid carrying around a cracker or something anywhere else. I have had more run ins with that staff than anywhere else in DC. I know it's a slight bit farther (technically they abut, but you have to go a few miles around to get to the entrance) but this time of year when there are still some lotuses standing, I say do the aquatic gardens if you want to go have a picnic. They don't care where you eat because they're national park rangers. :)

I must have blinders on. I don't even remember seeing any of the staff except at the gift shop or driving the tram. Or maybe they're too distracted by your rebellious, cracker wielding family to pay any attention to mine?

• Like 1

I must have blinders on. I don't even remember seeing any of the staff except at the gift shop or driving the tram. Or maybe they're too distracted by your rebellious, cracker wielding family to pay any attention to mine?

Lol. Probably. I once was with friends there and the kids were being perfectly fine. Except there was a toddler with... something... a cheese stick, maybe? No trash, nothing. Not only did they come fuss at us and make us take the cheese away, but then the the woman followed us around the entire garden area for like twenty minutes, just watching for the kids to do something "bad." It was very unpleasant. I've had a couple of other experiences like that there.

It's funny the different character of the guards at the different places. I think the Portrait Gallery and Sackler/Freer guards are by far the nicest. The guards at Air and Space are non-existent practically. They've tourist-proofed the whole museum instead. The NGA guards are the most suspicious. They watch everyone like hawks.

On the Geo Wash Pkwy, right on the way to Mt. Vernon, ifs the River Farms Children's Garden. It is a very sweet little space. It'd be perfect as a stop for a snack after Mt. Vernon.http://www.ahs.org/about-river-farm/virtual-tour

Stacia, Claude Moore is all the way in McLean. Maybe you are thinking of River Farms, too.

Claude Moore is right at the end of the GW Parkway not far from where it meets the beltway, so I don't think she was mistaken. Living in the city, both of those are about equidistant for us so I don't think of one as being more out of the way than the other. I like Claude Moore, but if the OP is doing Mt. Vernon, it seems like overkill. (ETA: unless you're just super into historical re-enactors that is - I will say that the ones at Claude Moore are some of the best, most method ones I've met...)

On the Geo Wash Pkwy, right on the way to Mt. Vernon, ifs the River Farms Children's Garden. It is a very sweet little space. It'd be perfect as a stop for a snack after Mt. Vernon.http://www.ahs.org/about-river-farm/virtual-tour

Stacia, Claude Moore is all the way in McLean. Maybe you are thinking of River Farms, too.

Claude Moore is right at the end of the GW Parkway not far from where it meets the beltway, so I don't think she was mistaken. Living in the city, both of those are about equidistant for us so I don't think of one as being more out of the way than the other. I like Claude Moore, but if the OP is doing Mt. Vernon, it seems like overkill. (ETA: unless you're just super into historical re-enactors that is - I will say that the ones at Claude Moore are some of the best, most method ones I've met...)

Yeah, maybe so (re: distance). I don't really remember as it's been awhile since I've been up there. So, it's definitely good for some of you local gals to confirm or deny me on that one, lol.

• Like 1

My ds picking dandelions & clover outside the Mt. Vernon Gristmill. (That was over 10 years ago!) This is still one of my favorite photos from all our DC trips. (We were lucky to go often because for many years, my dad did contract work in the area & had an apartment there; it was so easy to put the dc in the van & go to DC for a few weeks at a time.)

P5160719.jpg

My dc watching archaeologists work on excavating the foundation of the Distillery. (It has now been rebuilt on the site.)

P5160715.jpg

Such fun times visiting all the neat things around DC & enjoying the great outdoors too. You guys will have a great time!

• Like 3