Menu

What to do with large quantity of pears

whitestavern

We have a lot of pear trees. Many of our favorites have already been mentioned. Here's another: fruit leather. The recipe calls for peeling the pears, but if you have a powerful blender (like a Vitamix), you can skip peeling.

And dh's favorite pie is pear pie. I can't get allrecipes.com to load right now, but the recipe is on there, and it's called "Fresh Pear Pie".

We have a over whelming supply of pears each year.    My sons have always used them in their potato gun :lol:

They built it about 10 years ago and still its like a fall tradition.  My 18 yo was just saying it was time for new igniter  :001_rolleyes:

OK I no that's not the kind of idea you were wanting but really cheap entertainment for boys.  My nieces even love it.  My nieces come over each thanksgiving and always wanted the potatoes gun.  The pear are lighter than potatoes and fly further :D

• Like 1

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I forgot we have a dehydrator somewhere.  Has anyone ever done dehydrated pears?  I think I've seen them in healthfood stores. 

We have a pear tree and dehydrated some a few years ago. We did soak them in sugar water first and they lasted at least a year. 

I end up giving away a huge amount of pears each year. Ds doesn't like them and I can only eat so many. We have people that come every year just to pick them and I give away bags of them. What doesn't get picked, the birds eat in the winter. I consider it my community giving project. 

• Like 2