Menu

Do you have a family-size toiletries bag you like?

kirstenhill

With 2 adults and 4 kids, when we are traveling for several days or more, we usually just take all our full size toiletries with us in one bag (kid shampoo and body soap, adult shampoo, conditioner, body wash, a couple kinds of toothpaste, hair products, contact lens solutions, sunscreen, bug spray, etc...). For a week or two vacation it would just be too much hassle to have lots and lots of travel size bottles! (And we are often camping or staying in other accommodations that don't provide free shampoo, etc).

We currently have a bag we use but it wasn't meant for that purpose, and it always feels like digging through a black hole to find what we need. Does anyone have a bag they like and recommend for this purpose? Or another good solution? I'm not convinced that the $50+ bags I am seeing in my first round of Googling would really provide enough improvement to be worth that price.

I love, love, love the idea of those toiletry bags that have little compartments, a hangar, etc.  But in the end, the best solution for me is zip-loc freezer bags.  Sturdy, leak-proof, see-thru, ultra-lightweight, come in different sizes, super-inexpensive, and don't take up any space between trips (as they can be either tossed or rinsed and dried and folded).  Not glamorous, but very, very good for the purpose.  

That said, in your shoes, I might start putting together individual toiletries bags for your 11-year-old and maybe your 8, rather than going with a family bag, so that they can begin to take care of their own things.  These are handy for family vacations but also for sleepovers, going to Grandmas, camps, etc. if you do those things.  A simple one with toothbrush, small toothpaste, small-ish shampoo, and small-ish body wash would be sufficient.

• Like 2

I put a large, clear plastic shoebox in the bottom of a small zippered bag that came as a bonus inside one piece of luggage. I use gallon or quart ziplocs and separate by type: one for shower items (including a cheap 99c pouf that gets tossed at the end), one for teeth items, one for deodorant/cologne, one hair (brush, comb, small Baggie of doodads and elastics, travel hair product), one face (lotion, sunscreen, cleanser). Those stand up in the shoe box and stay neat. I can put the shoe box on the bathroom counter to keep everything contained and easy for housekeeping to clean still. The bag keeps a ziploc of a variety of meds (stomach, Advil, Benadryl, kids versions), and I have scissors, a small first aid kit, nail clippers, q-tips, etc. that stay in the bag ready for the next trip. Ziplocs usually last a couple of trips before they need replacing.

• Like 3

I have a decades old luggage piece (gold) that has always worked well... since we call it the "portable bathroom" I have forgotten what its called. Its a shoulder tote that fits full sized bottles of shampoo, etc.  A sturdy diaper bag may be similar. I actually like the older hard sided cube shaped ones where the top opens with hinges in the back, like my mom has, better. Maybe you can find one at a thrift store?

• Like 1

I love, love, love the idea of those toiletry bags that have little compartments, a hangar, etc. But in the end, the best solution for me is zip-loc freezer bags. Sturdy, leak-proof, see-thru, ultra-lightweight, come in different sizes, super-inexpensive, and don't take up any space between trips (as they can be either tossed or rinsed and dried and folded). Not glamorous, but very, very good for the purpose.

That said, in your shoes, I might start putting together individual toiletries bags for your 11-year-old and maybe your 8, rather than going with a family bag, so that they can begin to take care of their own things. These are handy for family vacations but also for sleepovers, going to Grandmas, camps, etc. if you do those things. A simple one with toothbrush, small toothpaste, small-ish shampoo, and small-ish body wash would be sufficient.

They actually do have their own toiletries bags for small trips like that. But on the big trips we prefer everyone to share for the shareable types of supplies. DH insists that the toiletries need to be in a separate bag from clothes, so even if we use zip locks, they would still need to go inside some kind of dedicated bag.

I use a waterproof padded grocery bag with a zipper at the top that I got for free.  Sure, it has a company logo on it, but it was *free* and it's of really good quality.  I put fullsize items in the bottom, standing up, and then throw little zippered make up bags (free in those 'gift with purchase offers over the years) in on top for things that are small, like lip balm, mascara, neosporin, aloe, nail scissors, etc.  That way those small items don't get lost at the bottom of the bag.  I have never needed to do this, but I've always known that if it was really hot I could put a little ice pack in as well, for things like deoderant that might melt.  

I also have a make up bag with jewelry--I don't bring a lot, but my watch, a bracelet in case I want it, and an extra pair of earrings are nice to have along, and also this gives me a secure place to stash my everyday earrings and my wedding ring if I need to take them off to cook or dig or something.  It's nice to have this along.

We use travel bottles and re-fill between trips. We just did a 10-day camping trip with 3 adults & 2 kids and had plenty, so there would be no reason for me to take full-size bottles. Travel bottles seem more secure than full-size as well. You can get a set of transparent 3 oz. bottles to fill with your own products. Something like these. We also use the 3-in-1 kid shampoo/conditioner/body wash which does an adequate job on all 3 fronts for the kids, and I use it as my body wash.

I'm getting one of these for our next trip as it's easier to take to the showers. We keep shower stuff, oral care stuff, and bug spray/sunscreen all separate as we use them in different places.

We dedicate a small suitcase, the smallest we own, to that purpose. I call it our medicine bag. It has the sunscreens, bug sprays, Aloes, allergy meds, Imodium, ear drops... Basically all meds we could possibly need. But I guess it could be called a toiletry bag. Inside. Everything is just in ziploc bags. So nothing magical that we found. I love having a dedicated bag for all that stuff. It used to go in my suitcase and my dh would complain about how much stuff I brought. But on the trips where we left behind something to save room, he'd find himself going shopping :)

With 2 adults and 4 kids, when we are traveling for several days or more, we usually just take all our full size toiletries with us in one bag (kid shampoo and body soap, adult shampoo, conditioner, body wash, a couple kinds of toothpaste, hair products, contact lens solutions, sunscreen, bug spray, etc...). For a week or two vacation it would just be too much hassle to have lots and lots of travel size bottles! (And we are often camping or staying in other accommodations that don't provide free shampoo, etc).

We currently have a bag we use but it wasn't meant for that purpose, and it always feels like digging through a black hole to find what we need. Does anyone have a bag they like and recommend for this purpose? Or another good solution? I'm not convinced that the $50+ bags I am seeing in my first round of Googling would really provide enough improvement to be worth that price.

Have you checked Walmart, Target, Ulta -- places like that?  (Ulta is a shop & salon that deals with hair care products and make-up.)  I have a bag bought so many years ago I lost count.  It's plenty big for all of us (including my blow dryer), though I don't wear much make-up or carry much facial care products.  I think I only paid about $10 for it, too (10-15 years ago).  It was some generic sort of bag so I can't tell you a brand name.  It is semi-rigid, opens on both sides, and has pockets for small stuff plus plenty of "big stuff" space.

Have you checked Walmart, Target, Ulta -- places like that? (Ulta is a shop & salon that deals with hair care products and make-up.) I have a bag bought so many years ago I lost count. It's plenty big for all of us (including my blow dryer), though I don't wear much make-up or carry much facial care products. I think I only paid about $10 for it, too (10-15 years ago). It was some generic sort of bag so I can't tell you a brand name. It is semi-rigid, opens on both sides, and has pockets for small stuff plus plenty of "big stuff" space.

I don't do Walmart (and not sure I've seen Ulta here?), but when I looked at Target I only found small ones. Not nearly big enough for the family. Or they had like backpacks and suitcases and the like. Maybe there was something I missed...I almost always have to take the kids with me when I shop and that isn't always the best for actual finding things...LoL.

We use gallon size freezer bags stored in a sturdy duffle bag.  If we are staying in the same place for several days, I also bring a clear plastic over-the-door shoe storage thing and transfer all the toiletries to that. (google shoe organizer for toiletries for photos) That works great, especially when there's not much space.

I have a toiletry bag from L L Bean which could easily carry items for two people. You can see it and some larger choices at this link. The one I have is the Carryall Toiletry Kit.

Regards,

Kareni

We have one very similar to the large LLBean bag - though I got it at a yard sale for $2 :). It has been on a 2 week trip through Scandinavia, a week of camping with the entire family of 8, and many, many other trips of various lengths. Very durable, easy to find things and keep everything in place. The hanging feature is extremely nice to have.

• Like 2

For a roadtrip, I'd just use a clear plastic bin with a lid.  It would need to be tall enough for the bottles to stand in, in case the lids don't pop open with elevation changes.  It would be much less expensive than a piece of luggage, and easy to clean, and you wouldn't have to worry about setting it down in the dirt when you're camping.  It would be easy to take to the public showers if you're in a campground.  

ETA: Like this

http://www.target.com/p/sterilite-clearview-latch-storage-tote-transparent-with-purple-latch-27qt/-/A-13794505#prodSlot=medium_1_37&term=stearlite

• Like 1