Menu

What kind of things do you make after a co-op day or a day where you are gone all day

and just exhausted. We go to co-op and I come home and dh and I have to take a nap every week (he has to take me and pick me up adding 40 min to his commute) it is a stressful day but we love it. So what kind of things do you make? We have been doing tv dinners but I forgot to pick them up this week, so what kind of fast and easy things do you make?

blessings

lori in tx

I really try to put something together in the crockpot in the mornings of those days. It usually takes 15-30 min in the morning and we come home to a good meal with little work. If I don't manage to put it together in the AM, it may be pizza night, chinese, grilled cheese or even (shhhh!) Raisin Bran night.

Kim

The crockpot's a great idea! One of my DH's favorite meals is a crockpot pot roast--and this is a man who does NOT like pot roast.

To be perfectly honest, we usually have a dinner salad on those nights. The great thing with salad is that you can prep the whole thing in advance (with a few exceptions: I set wet things like tomatoes aside in a separate bag to add at the last minute) and set it to chill in the fridge. Pull it out and voila! :001_smile:

Taco Soup

1 lb lean ground beef (or turkey)

1 onion, chopped

1 pkg taco seasonings

1 pkg dry Ranch seasonings

2 large cans diced tomatoes, undrained

1 can Rotel tomatoes, undrained

1 can black beans

1 can pinto beans

1 can whole kernel corn

Brown meat and onion. Drain. Add seasonings. Drain beans and corn. Add to meat along with tomatoes. Simmer until well blended and hot. Eat and enjoy.

Add a bit of grated cheese or sour cream and this simple soup is perfect for busy days.

I can make this in 40 minutes and it's so simple and filling.

Crock pot!

I totally agree with the others, it's the only way to go unless I have already budgeted and planned to eat out.

I also know that the best laid plans..... so I try to do all the prep work on the day before. I will even sometimes combine all the ingredients and set it in the fridge overnight, then just pull it out and plug in the crock pot before we leave.

I have also done a casserole or something the day before, so all we have to do is heat it up. Love the salad idea, I will have to try that.

Sometimes I make a favorite meal and do double so we can eat the same the next day after co-op. Or I do a crockpot meal. This week is beef stew in the crock with refridgerator rolls. I'll put together the stew the night before and put the crock in the refridgerator with the idea that I take it out and start it as we eat breakfast (I like to be able to feel that it's getting warm before we leave). The rolls dough stays in the refridgerator until come home, and then is taken out for an hour, shaped, and then baked.

I agree..your crockpot is an excellent choice. Throw some ingredients in and you have soup when you get home. Chicken stock, onions, carrots, cooked chix, some rice..it's really easy and fast.

Breakfast meals are a favorite around here. Pancakes with eggs, french toast and sausage are pretty quick and easy. Sometimes waffles, but they go slow when you make them one at a time.

I also dig out my bosch mixer when I get a good buy on burger and make up meatloaves and meatballs and freeze them. They defrost quickly and can be bbq at teh last minute. Serve with pasta, or even mashed pototes. I have b eenn know to keep a supply of frozen cheesy potatoe casseroles ready to pop in the toaster oven.

My toaster oven with convection settings has become my new best friend in the kitchen. It saves you at least 25 percent on your cooking time. You can bake potatoes, and bake casseroles quickly. I can do a large mac n Cheese casserole in about 25 minutes.

Yup, we're dusting off our crock pot.

And, despite my anti-plastics position, I do buy those silly looking crock pot liners. I don't want to deal with gooey, crusty crock pot messes at the end of a hectic day. If anyone has heard that they cause cancer or a third eye, please don't tell me!

We also have our quicky standbys. Boxed spaghetti, canned sauce, frozen meatballs and frozen garlic bread are kept on hand (yeah, I promise to move toward freezing some homemade) as well as sandwich and salad fixin's.

Before the holidays get too close, I'm hoping to do my own little home version of those make-and-freeze stores so that I don't even have to worry about prep (or clean up) time for the crock pot or oven.

If not a crockpot (hey - I find it hard to remember to ahve thawed meat ready to put int he pot in the morning) - I have frozen pizza crusts in the freezer, it is fast to squirt sauce and sprinkle cheese on and bake 'em. Teens can do it. Also boiling water for pasta is fast. A rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. Ham slice - rinse off the package goo and fry up fast. kielbasa also fast that way. Also - on non-busy days cook a big roast ro meatloaf or ??? and plan on leftovers for the busy days. Tortillas, frozen, thaw fast and then meatloaf or cut-up leftover meat heated with some chili pwd or salsa makes fast burritos.

Nothing wrong with cans of soup and sandwiches every so often, either.

I sometimes bake a whole chicken. I defrost it overnight and as soon as we walk in the door I put it in the oven. Our co-op is over by 2 pm so the chicken has plenty of time to cook for dinner at 5:30 pm.

If I forgot to defrost it I'll bake at 375 a little longer--turns out just fine.

I add potatoes to the roaster and carrots. Now that there is fresh squash I like to bake that instead of potatoes.

Crockpot dinner, pancakes, leftovers, or oatmeal are some other standbys.

I made a great crock pot meal last night. Roast chicken and baked potatos.

You wrap the potatos in foil and put that at the bottom of the crockpot, on top I had three chicken breasts, bone-in that I rubbed with olive oil, sprinkled with salt and pepper and topped with Spice islands Tuscan Chicken Seasoning. - Very easy. Don't add any liquid. Served with frozen brocoli heated in the microwave.

Another easy recipe is pulled pork - Put the pork in the crockpot with a cut up onion and a bottle of barbeque sauce. Shred it when you get home and serve on buns. I serve it with fruit and coleslaw (made from the bagged coleslaw mix in the produce section).

We also usually choose one day a week for eating out on a busy night. It may be as simple as chick-fil-a.

I have three lines of attack for these kind of days.

1) Freezer Meals. I try to double/triple batches of food that freeze well and save them for lazy days.

2) Crockpot Meals.

3) Quick Meals. I have a list of quick meals that I keep in my mind and try to keep the necessary ingredients on hand. Here's an example: I think tossing a bunch of chicken pieces into the oven is just about the easiest meal. On our healthier days I serve it w/a box of squash or corn soup from Trader Joe's; if you've been reading Sally Fallon lately, you can even add a dallop of creme fraiche which you would naturally have on hand. Toss together a salad and voila. Instant meal. Less healthy version, bake a mix of cornbread (I consider cornbread cake, but we do have it on occasion. ;o) If you're really lazy...use a bag of salad that you keep on hand for such days. Um, I also confess though that I think tossing together a pumpkin pie or blueberry pie is as easy as making cornbread and equally as healthy (in my twisted mind) so some days we'll have that instead. (This, coming from a mom who leans towards a very low sugar diet. :blush:)

I love the crockpot idea, but we leave for co-op at 8:15, so by the time I get myself and kids ready, make lunches, and double-check that I have all the stuff for the classes I teach, even crockpot fixing is too much.

We get home, relax, then I put on water, cook pasta, throw on a bit of olive oil and butter and lots of Romano, and make a salad on the side. If I'm feeling ambitious I saute some vegies (and maybe a bit of sausage) to top the pasta, maybe chop up some ham.

I can relate!

My rice pot has a timer and can cook itself while we are out. I usually throw together a stir fry or serve something re-heated with rice in minutes.

The crock-pot is another great choice. I love coming home to hot soup served with garlic bread and a salad. The Fix-It-And-Forget It Lightly crock pot cookbook gets a lot of use around here in the winter along with the 12 Months of Monastery Soups one. That is my number one favorite soup recipe book. Simple ingredients and the soups are delicious.

Yup, we're dusting off our crock pot.

And, despite my anti-plastics position, I do buy those silly looking crock pot liners. I don't want to deal with gooey, crusty crock pot messes at the end of a hectic day. If anyone has heard that they cause cancer or a third eye, please don't tell me!

We also have our quicky standbys. Boxed spaghetti, canned sauce, frozen meatballs and frozen garlic bread are kept on hand (yeah, I promise to move toward freezing some homemade) as well as sandwich and salad fixin's.

Before the holidays get too close, I'm hoping to do my own little home version of those make-and-freeze stores so that I don't even have to worry about prep (or clean up) time for the crock pot or oven.

We buy those too, I figure if I have a 3rd eye it needs a little cancer in it:glare: I am reping you just because you use those liners :)

and just exhausted. We go to co-op and I come home and dh and I have to take a nap every week (he has to take me and pick me up adding 40 min to his commute) it is a stressful day but we love it. So what kind of things do you make? We have been doing tv dinners but I forgot to pick them up this week, so what kind of fast and easy things do you make?

blessings

lori in tx

OOO!! :thumbup: I say crockpot... find a few faves and stick with them.... easy homemade soups and grilled cheese are fast and easy.... soft tacos.... you could make the taco meat up the night before... re heat and whala....umm... sandwiches for dinner never hurt anyone.... clean up is a snap on that too! :D OOO! Another idea... make the meal part way the night before so you just have to pop it in the oven the next day... meat loaf... mashed potoes... Glad you asked... it sparked another idear....

I love all these great ideas!! I also have a quick confession for what we do when we've been gone all morning and come home starving. I just give them a mozzarella cheese stick and some toast with fruit. They pull apart grilled cheese sandwiches anyway so I figure I'd save us both the trouble. I also love to saute chicken breast tenderloins in olive oil with a few spices and toss with noodles. Another favorite is diced ham with mac & cheese and frozen peas. We don't even bother to cook the peas, they'll warm up and thaw when mixed with the hot mac & cheese after it's done.

I sometimes do a crock pot meal, but my crock pot recipe repertoire is very limited. I like to do really simple, quick things like spaghetti with meat sauce (using just ground beef and a jar of sauce, such as Prego), garlic bread (the kind from the freezer aisle), and bagged salad. Or I would do something that I could make ahead and put in the refrigerator, then just stick in the oven when I get home, such as lasagna (I like Ree's recipe at thepioneerwoman.com) or manicotti. My family likes baked subs, as well. I just buy sub buns or hoagie rolls in the bakery section of the grocery store, several kinds of deli lunch meats, and deli cheese slices. We like to have mayo , Italian dressing, and lettuce. I put the meat and cheese on the sub buns, bake them in the oven for a few minutes (until the cheese melts), and then add lettuce and dressings. Good luck!

I agree with crockpot, pasta and sauce, salad is easy, the way I like it is everything already in little rubbermaids, open them so people can put on what they want, instant salad bar! I love that! Easy clean up, just close them up, and, hope I don't get flack over this, on exhausted nights, we use disposable everything, plates, forks, I don't care, I keep the forks from fast food (load up if we ever go), and get one pack of foam plates every six months to year, and that is enough for us.

Also, if you do grilled cheese, you can put them all of a cookie sheet, and have them all finish at the same time, just turn over once. Just spray the pan with Pam. I love that--so easy, and everyone eats at once!

Ooh, just thought of another couple of things I love, or used to, when I could eat chips :)--take nacho chips, and put beans on top, then cheese and salsa--microwave, instant nachos, actually high in protein, healthy, and everyone loves them. Also, just take a can, or two, with your gang, of refried beans, spread on a plate, top with salsa and cheese, mix in a tiny bit, and microwave, serve with chips, great bean dip. Again, lots of protein, very filling.

Mom to Aly, I love your tips! I never thought of putting grilled cheese in the oven which is silly of me because we use the oven all the time for other types of sandwiches.

I also have nachos on my list of emergency, quick dinners. Only I've always used a can of black beans (& occasionally a can of chicken breast meat). I never thought to use bean dip. That sounds simply delicious! Tortilla chips are the only kind of chips we buy, but I too am trying to replace those chips w/a healthier choice. I guess I could start using tortillas instead. It would be rather easy to spread bean dip on a tortilla and then add all the other usual nacho fixings. (Just thinking aloud here.)

Off to check if we have any bean dip on hand...