Menu

Thoughts on meningitis vaccine?

madteaparty

At my DS's (recently he turned 11)annual his doctor suggested this. I decline anything not strictly necessary and she said this was more important if on a campus situation, but I am thinking now... DS is going to school next semester though it is a local elementary (in France), not campus. We are traveling extensively after that and so i am revisiting that decision. On a delayed schedule, he has had everything except Hep B. We never do the flu vaccine. Apparently i even gave Hep A last year, probably because we were going somewhere. He just got a tdap booster this visit. Has anyone done any research on this? Vaccines are such a source of anxiety for me but as I said, eventually most everything was given...

I just took my ds12 for the meningitis vaccine.  It is one that I think is necessary, and I do think that the benefits outweigh the risks.  He will get a booster at 17.  

For reference in my vaccination habits, we skip the flu vaccine and the Gardasil but get most others.  If I needed to choose one to skip, it would not be the meningitis.  I could be convinced to skip vaccines, but the risks of meningitis are serious.  Also, my understanding is that it is required by universities prior to enrollment. 

• Like 4

I live in the US and pediatricians in our area started recommending it for middle school years, but urging it by high school and college years. I waited until my kids were 16 and then they didn't need a booster. 

I always skipped the flu vaccines until an elementary aged child we knew died from Influenza B.

• Like 3

I live in the U.S., and never have been urged by the pediatricians to have my children receive the meningitis vaccine prior to the college years. It is required by colleges and CCs around here for their students.

Actually it's recommended for younger kids who will participate in group living activities. This would include overnight camps or travel programs.

• Like 5

Actually it's recommended for younger kids who will participate in group living activities. This would include overnight camps or travel programs.

Would this be a state-by-state thing?  When my children have gone to church camp, it has not been requested for the campers.  Nobody has attended for a few years, so perhaps this is a recent requirement? 

I can understand the request for this, as the "group living" is why colleges require this particular vaccination.

Would this be a state-by-state thing? When my children have gone to church camp, it has not been requested for the campers. Nobody has attended for a few years, so perhaps this is a recent requirement?

I can understand the request for this, as the "group living" is why colleges require this particular vaccination.

Um, no. This disease spreads easily. One reason why it is recommended before camp or dorm living is people in those situations tend to put themselves in situations where they are more tired, thus compromising their immunity. So, even if a 12-15 year old only goes to camp for a short time, he is in a situation where he focused less on getting the right amount of sleep for his needs and more on how much he is having. Even if they are putting teens to bed at a decent hour, they tend have played seriously hard all day, long hikes, hours of canoeing in the sun, ect, so their bodies are physically depleted. It is that state of physical depletion that is common among young people in these situations. Whether attending church camp, scout camp or dd's current program (this is her fourth year) my dc have all come home pretty tired from these activities. When your tired you are more vulnerable catching anything, especially something that spreads through the air.

Plus, activities like camp tend to force kids into closer quarters than college dorms. The room my dd is bunking in right now is about the size of a dorm room, only there a rows of bunk beds, so instead of 2 people in the same room with airborn germs there are 14. If not in close quarters of cabins. The option of being in a tent still puts campers in close range of other people's germs.

One reason my oldest got this vaccine years before college was because I'd read the Academy of Pediatrics was recommending it for kids before camp for this reason. My ds was headed to scout camp at the time. This is not a state program.

I'm not anti-vacc, so my view might not count (glad you already said you're heading back in), but on these threads I like to remind people that my college aged cousin would have died had he been me.  Fortunately, he's not.  He felt bad and sought treatment and recovered from meningitis (in the hospital).  Doctors said if he'd waited much longer he wouldn't have made it.  (That would be why I wouldn't have made it - I'd have gone home to sleep it off and see if it was better in the morning.  I doubt I'm alone.  I know at least two of my kids are like me.)

Due to that experience, this is one vacc that definitely shouldn't be skipped IME.  That AND telling your offspring about what to look for as no vacc is 100% effective.

• Like 2

I'm glad you decided to have your DS get it. Mine just did at his 12 year check up; last year he had a different one so we decided to space them out. I'll admit I don't get the larger anti vac thing but regardless, this isn't one to skip.

Sounds like he has an incredible year coming up! :)

I'm not anti-vacc, so my view might not count (glad you already said you're heading back in), but on these threads I like to remind people that my college aged cousin would have died had he been me. Fortunately, he's not. He felt bad and sought treatment and recovered from meningitis (in the hospital). Doctors said if he'd waited much longer he wouldn't have made it. (That would be why I wouldn't have made it - I'd have gone home to sleep it off and see if it was better in the morning. I doubt I'm alone. I know at least two of my kids are like me.)

Due to that experience, this is one vacc that definitely shouldn't be skipped IME. That AND telling your offspring about what to look for as no vacc is 100% effective.

Very important! This vaccine does not protect against all forms of meningitis, so they still need to know when to seek help.

• Like 1

This covers some of the strains so yes I would and have had my kids get it around 11 or 12. There is also a newer version approved in Oct that I would also get if you can. It is hard to find right now. This is the strain that was at U of O this spring. Most European countries get the Meningitis B shot as well.

We opted for it recently. Benefits outweigh the risks. We've a family friend who nearly died as a teen, and I would do anything to spare my kids what she went through, years ago, even though she did recover. Very traumatic to be so ill and in isolation, without comfort from family.

Oh, and DH's adult cousin nearly died about three years ago. That was horrible, too, he's a father, and a brilliant guy. He still has ongoing issues.

Vaccines for non-lethal conditions are more negotioable, but this one is pretty much a no brainer for us when the time comes. Agreeing with everyone else who said you need to know the symptoms just in case there are gaps in immunity or a strain that isn't covered (or heck, bacterial meningitis instead of viral). It's unusual but highly dangerous.

I might be the wrong person to answer, since we do all vaccines including flu and Gardisil. However, meningitis is a nasty disease and that's one vaccine I definitely wouldn't skip. Ds hasn't had it as it's not generally given until college here, but he'll be getting it soon.

• Like 1

Agreeing with everyone else who said you need to know the symptoms just in case there are gaps in immunity or a strain that isn't covered (or heck, bacterial meningitis instead of viral). It's unusual but highly dangerous.

Yep, my kids have been warned that a stiff neck + fever and/or headache means go to the urgent care center or ER straight away. Call an ambulance if necessary. I'd rather pay the bill for an unnecessary ER visit to be safe than see them dead from undiagnosed meningitis.

• Like 1