Menu

K5 Planning Thread

againstthegrain

I see a K4 thread, but I've got a K5 and would love to see what others are planning! We don't do every subject every day with her yet, most subjects earn her attention 2x week at least though. 

Reading:

Bob Books

Scholastic Sight Word Readers

Ordinary Parent's Guide to Reading

A bunch of books on digraphs and blends from teacherspayteachers

English/LA/Grammar: None right now.

Math: Singapore Gr. 1

Social Studies: SOTW Vol. 1

Science: Apologia Exploring Creation through Astronomy

PE: Gymnastics

Bible: Sunday School, Bible stories/rhymes/Awana bible club

Music: Composer Study

Here's my kindergarten plan:

Reading:

All About Reading 1-2

English: informal

Math: Right Start B

Social Studies: Map Skills, Continents/Oceans, assorted workbooks, read alouds, and winging it ;)

Science: MFW Kindergarten themes + field trips and hands-on expriences

PE: Soccer, homeschool PE class at rec center, swimming lessons

Music: informal exploration, maybe some beginner piano

Bible: AWANA, MFWK

I'm still finalizing, but here's what I have so far:

CLE Kindergarten II followed by CLE Learning to Read

Singapore Essentials A & B alongside Miquon Math Orange & Red

Memoria Press Kindergarten Enrichment (readalouds, science, history, culture, art, crafts & music)

Tagging along on Bible, science (anatomy and astronomy) and history with older brothers using MFW Rome to the Reformation.

We're still finalizing:

Language Arts:

-Grammar Land

-Spell Correctly (an old school textbook)

-D'nealian work

Math

-Miquon Orange & Red

-Anno's Math Games

-LoF Apples & Butterflies

-Montessori tools and an app we already have (Archimedes' Roost)

Art & Fine motor skills

-Drawing With Children

-Home Art Studio

-Variety of other creativity books, mosaics, art supplies. I think I have 4 main ones down so we can get art/creative work done daily and build up his hands to write.

Logic

-Miniluk

-Colorku

-Smart Cookies

Spanish

-Duolingo

-Let's Learn Spanish K & 1 (they're small books)

Science, we have plenty of tools already for exploration and great places for nature study. 

• Like 1

Technically we have started Kindergarten already! Taking all of Nov and Dec off for new baby + holidays, so I figure we may as well summer school it up. Our load is light.

Boxed :My Father's World Kindergarten, the phonics are just review for him but their units are really FUN. Lots of ideas for bell and whistle activities. They have GREAT book basket storybooks and non fiction books but light on history/social studies, so maybe supplementing, we'll see.

Boxed #2: Sonlight core A - because we started MFW K in May I think we will finish it well before DS5's official K year is over, whenever we do finish mfw k, probably midwinter, we will buy and begin SL core A which looks AWESOME!

Math: Continue Rightstart math A.

Considering Life of Fred apples since we are don't do RSA everyday

Reading: All About Reading 1 maybe????

Possible Reading Eggs subscription????

Continue Happy Phonics

Practice with readers and games

other random stuff

• Like 1

I just finished up our plan:

HOD Little Hearts for His Glory

Language Arts: Reading Reflex with Bob books (might switch over to OPGTR at some point), AAS 1 when he is ready, and HWT K (switching to simple copywork when done)

Math: Singapore Essentials with HOD's plans plus some lessons from RightStart A 1st edition

Religion: Bible in HOD, plus saint stories and various other books

I haven't homeschooled for several years as my older kids attend a local Catholic School but for my youngest I'm going to save the tuition and keep him home. 

So far I am planning: (although I keep waffling....there's so much to choose) 

Memoria Press Kindgergarten Read Aloud Program with Poetry

Memoria Press Supplemental Science and Enrichment

Memoria Press Book of Crafts for Kindergarten

ETC Get Ready for the Code (some of this is easy to him but he is still working on letter recognition) then we will move to OPGTTR

HWT

Shiller Math 

Wee Folk suggestions for Arts and Crafts and Science Experiments 

Music Come Listen with Me and just general Classical music and Broadway soundtracks exposure that we listen to daily. 

Extra:

Swimming lessons (twice per week)

Library Activity time (once per week)

We are stretching k over two years and starting year 2 this fall.

MFW K units 12-26 at about a 2 week pace

ETC books 1 & 2

HWOT k

Bob books

Singapore Math Early Bird book b

integrate some FIAR in our mfw k unit themes

Tag along for US history with big sis

One of my biggest regrets was over doing curriculum with my oldest instead of letting her play and naturally explore with me.  I have done much better with my younger ones and I continue to prune.  Here is what I have planned for my fifth child's K year:

Recipe for Reading

Saxon Math flashcards and manipulatives for fun

Singing hymns, memory work songs, and fun songs

Read aloud and journaling (dictating to me and illustrating)

Draw Write Now (to help with illustrating her journal)

• Like 2

Language:

Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Lessons supplemented with easy books from the Library (in progress)

Some Engage NY worksheets (in progress: it's used by public school teachers and it's free, it has a lot of great pre-writing worksheets so far)

Prescripts (Yellow book, 1/2 coloring book 1/2 cursive practice, we find that cursive is easier to learn than the block or manuscript letters--haven't actually started the book yet)

Writing Journal (it's 1/2 blank for a picture and has 5 lines to write on, used to note what a story is about, practice writing, spelling/vocab etc...I stole the idea from my husband who teaches AP Language to High School Seniors)

Math: (not started)

Math for a Living Education (free)

Supplemented with Miquon Math and maybe Singapore Math

Music/Art: (not started)

Art for a Living Education (free) it also hits the Geometry that isn't covered by the MfaLE book

Faber Primer books for Piano (in progress)

Tin Whistle (see below)

Science:

Mudpies to Magnets experiments and see below.

We are doing Classical Conversations this year so I plan to supplement the science and history facts with age appropriate books from the library and trips to museums. We already started "playing" with the Tin whistle and my son can play a somewhat descent scale. We are a musical family. We have an awesome field trip coordinator who is planning field trips to match up with science or history throughout the year too.

It seems like a lot, but I am a somewhat unconventional homeschooler and believe that most learning happens through experience and play at this age not worksheets/busywork.

I haven't homeschooled for several years as my older kids attend a local Catholic School but for my youngest I'm going to save the tuition and keep him home. 

So far I am planning: (although I keep waffling....there's so much to choose) 

Memoria Press Kindgergarten Read Aloud Program with Poetry

Memoria Press Supplemental Science and Enrichment

Memoria Press Book of Crafts for Kindergarten

ETC Get Ready for the Code (some of this is easy to him but he is still working on letter recognition) then we will move to OPGTTR

HWT

Shiller Math 

Wee Folk suggestions for Arts and Crafts and Science Experiments 

Music Come Listen with Me and just general Classical music and Broadway soundtracks exposure that we listen to daily. 

Extra:

Swimming lessons (twice per week)

Library Activity time (once per week)

I am beginning to think I may just buy the Memoria Press K and just go from there. It seems open and go, does anyone have any experience with this? I am not familiar with the math used by MP.

Calendar year schoolers here, but these are our tentative plans

100 Easy Lessons

I See Sam Readers

Explode the Code

D'nealian Handwriting 1

Mathematical Reasoning Book B (1st grade)

Life of Fred A-D (first cycle)

Two Plus Two is not Five

Some Singapore supplements at 1st grade level (CWP, speed math, etc)

Lollipop Logic and a few CTC supplements

Some maze/find a picture books and some Kumon cutting/craft

Science/History/Art/Etc is all covered by just library books, TV like the magic school bus, and life right now.

Jump Math Grade 1

-They don't have a Kindergarten program but it starts from the basics in all 5 streams of math with guided discovery (through socratic-like questions and answers), I couldn't find a comparable kindergarten program. Plus the Teachers guide/lesson plans are FREE and I just have to purchase the workbooks which are $11 for two books each year plus the manipulatives as I need them. We started in K4 and we are are only a quarter way through the year plan. Taking it slow and skipping things that are above his grasp (NOT a lot), but so far so good! Can't say enough about the program!

Tapestry of Grace Primer - Also started for K4, even though it is recommended for K5/Gr 1. Still my favorite part of our day. :) Trying to keep on track to finish so we can begin year 1 next year.

Ordinary Parent's Guide to Reading - Pushing through! Started in K4 as well. Son is motivated as Dad said when he finishes the whole book they'll buy a gaming system. :) We hit a couple bumps along the way, but each time I just stopped doing new lessons and would just review and read bob books in the mean time. Love that we can now get the early readers from the library or bookstores and that he can read these almost on his own! LOVE this book.

I Can Read - from 1+1+1=1- He usually already knows the words before we get to them, but the worksheets are fun for him.

Raising Lil Rockstars - Also from 1+1+1=1 - Bible and memory verses.

Catechism

This Reading Mama - Bob book printables - I am using these as spelling activities for the CVC words. Build a word puzzles, roll-a-word and write it down activities, etc. We read the bob book and do the activities.

Words Their Way -  Use this for picture sorts. Right now working on recognizing beginning sounds. Message me if your interested in this program, I found some PDF files online somewhere!

Rhyme a week - Learn a rhyme, do some activities. This website also has a book a week program that I would like to do. I haven't kept up on this program for all of K4, but it short and fun, so I hope to start it up again.

Science- eek. I am terrible at this. I just bought one of those fun science experiments at home books and I am going to commit to doing at least one a week.

Art- Um, also needs work. Other than the crafts included in Tapestry of Grace Primer, I haven't really done anything... Painting and free craft time once in a while. Need to step up my game!

Penmanship - While he has no problem copying letters if they are in sight, some letters he forgets so I am just going to keep practicing letters and numbers through our other worksheets, and only pull out the Letter specific tracing and blank line sheets if absolutely necessary.

I'd love to start journaling with him, too. Maybe starting My First Piano Adventures...

That's our plan! I have made some spreadsheets and charts to keep me on track, and we are going lightly through the summer. I am due with baby number 3 for the end October and am just preparing for some downtime from then until December.

Love reading everyone's plans!

• Like 2

I am beginning to think I may just buy the Memoria Press K and just go from there. It seems open and go, does anyone have any experience with this? I am not familiar with the math used by MP.

I think they use Saxon math.

ETA: duh sorry, I was thinking peace hill press!

MP uses Rod & Staff 1 for K and 1st, taking two years to complete.

We've used their First Start Reading and the K Enrichment. I loved the Enrichment!

• Like 1

My DD is 5.5 (january birthday) and although technically set to start kindergarten in the fall, I believe she is ready for first grade work.  Right now we are doing the following

EZ Lessons

MUS Primer

ETC1

Handwriting (ZB Grade 1 book)

FIAR

DD will be done with EZ lessons by September then I think we will start the following:

AAR1

Continue with ETC books

SOTW and activity book

WTM biology notebooking

BFSU Unit studies (basically taking Nebel's ideas for each lesson and expanding into a 2-4 week unit of activities 2x per week).

ZB cursive book. - though maybe I should look into prescript as suggested earlier?

Probably will still do FIAR book studies as I have 3 other little ones below her :)

Now DD really wants to write.  She writes partial sentences all the time and verbally narrates stories to me all day long.  I am thinking of starting her on ELL and WWE now rather than waiting until she is done with AAR1.  What do y'all think?

I see a K4 thread, but I've got a K5 and would love to see what others are planning! We don't do every subject every day with her yet, most subjects earn her attention 2x week at least though. 

Reading:

Bob Books

Scholastic Sight Word Readers

Ordinary Parent's Guide to Reading

English: Rod & Staff Gr. 2 (orally)

Math: Rod & Staff Math Gr. 1

Social Studies: Map Skills, Continents/Oceans (most resources from teacherspayteachers, some workbooks)

Science: Unit Studies, working out the details...

PE: Soccer

Music: Pennywhistle Lessons

We have some changes, DD is moving along faster than expected in reading. She has finished up a general Kinder science curriculum so we decided on a year long study on the body, germs, teeth, senses etc.

Reading:

finish up any Bob Books and Scholastic Sight Word Readers

Rod & Staff Gr. 1 "We Learn About God" Readers + worksheets

Rod & Staff Gr. 1 Printing workbooks

Rod & Staff Gr. 1 Phonics workbooks

(Will still use Ordinary Parent's Guide to Reading but not as a lesson book rather a reference book now as needed)

Math: Rod & Staff Math Gr. 1 (we have been doing about 1-2 lessons per week)

Social Studies: Map Skills, Continents/Oceans (most resources from teacherspayteachers, some workbooks)

Science: My body (year long exploration)

PE: Soccer club

Music: Pennywhistle Lessons

We have planned:

Math: Singapore 1A & 1B (however far we get)

Reading: Finish Reading Reflex & continue reading aloud each day

Writing: HWT 1 & journal writing

That's it. I'm sure we'll do lots of read alouds, art projects, field trips, etc, but I don't feel the need to plan them out ahead of time. I do want to do a bread-baking/butter-making activity at some point in the winter, and I want him to grow something in the spring (maybe strawberries or sunflowers?). Mostly, though, I want him to have lots of time to play.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We just finished Kindergarten and these are my favourite things:

-"Get Set for the Code" (Explode the Code by EPS)

-Explode the Code regular phonics (1, 2, etc)

-Start All About Reading level 1 when ready to start regular Explode the Code books.

-CLE Kindergarten workbooks - there are 5 that cover numbers, math facts and phonics.

-HWT the workbook and one of the manipulatives. Teacher guide was unnecessary.

As for math... I've used a number of different programs for math at this level and I think my favourite would be Critical Thinking Co. or Singapore Essentials. We did Singapore Early Bird this year and I hated the format. We didn't finish it, but the CLE workbooks were plenty. They are light in K but just enough. With my son I had done the Critical Thinking Co. math workbook in Kindergarten and he went on to Singapore afterwards, that was a much better format. If I had to do it all over again I would probably also look into getting some Montessori math manipulatives. I have a large collection of Learning Resources math manipulatives that my kids "play" with and they learn so much from those.

I'm a fan of keeping Kindergarten light and fun. Focusing on the 3R's. Science and socials, etc. are done with read alouds. Plenty of time for play, art, and extracurricular's like gymnastics, ballet and riding ponies.  :001_smile:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

For Kindy:

We're doing OM Kindergarten stories and art/crafts/songs.  (I've used this with all four of my kids and it's still a favorite.)  

HWOT Kindergarten

Reading Eggs  Teach Your Child To Read in 100 Lessons

Cooking with One of the Mollie Katzen Books

Oh, I forgot about Math.  LOL  Not sure.  I have RightStart A from many years ago, but I need to buy a new workbook (or make my own...there's not a lot of writing in A).  I thought about starting him in Singapore EarlyBird.  I may even do Saxon.  Not sure yet.  I'd probably do Saxon 1, though, over Kindy and just take my time.  (Just as if I was buying Right Start again, I'd buy B.  I own A and B both, and B is a repeat of A...and then additional materials.... so it's easy to stretch B over two years and save some $).

My son is welcome to sit in on anything I do with the older kids, including CHOW, Layers of Learning, etc.

My youngest is 4, turning 5 in September. I plan to make school work a bit more regular for him than it was last year, but still keep it light. We'll be continuing the Abeka K Math book he started a few months ago, and some Singapore 1A also.

For reading, I've finally decided on AAR 1. We'll do Happy Phonics as well. Handwriting will be HWT K. We'll be doing Memoria Press Enrichment First Grade too.

It should be a fun year!

My oldest will be five in September, so I am officially going to start homeschooling.  Here is my plan

Math: Miquon

Reading: OPGTR

Handwriting: SmithHand and lots of motor activities

Science: Trying BFSU to see if it works for us

Art: Artistic Pursuits

I am so excited!  I have been waiting for this for four years.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 5 year old this year too. She's happy to be called a "big Kindergarten girl."

My plan:

-The Wand, Jot It Down, OPGTR as an extra resource, HWOT

-She started and got over half of SM K done this past Spring. Then set it aside. So finish that and possibly add Miquon or MM1. We play RS card games and Family Math games as well.

-history and science will be an immersive, family pursuit this year. So she will tag along with nature study, science activities, history read alouds/projects etc as she can. 

-also art skills, art and music appreciation and Poetry Teatime will be a family pursuit, interest led activity.

LA: Logic of English foundations C (finish last few lessons of B, first)

Toying with the idea of adding FLL for K5 and my PreK kiddo

Math: RSM B and Miquon for practice (Orange, maybe Red) for PreK kiddo, I have Mathematical Reasoning age 4

History: Bede's History of Me; we might interview grandparents and make memory storybooks

Science: Real Science 4 Kids Biology + Nature study in library books, nature journal, and general life science (body books, games and puzzles) I also got a chemistry book and molecule model but won't touch it until next year unless she is interested in molecules and atoms as she was a few months back)

Second Language: see it and say it flip flop Spanish

Geography: world puzzles set and country study units with library books and loosely following Expedition Earth, flag frenzy game

That's a lot. It's because I have a PreK kiddo as well so I wanted quite a bit that we could do together and I want to set a solid foundation for SOTW next year (hoping it's not over his head by then). Extracurricular will be play and time with dad since I work in the evenings and cannot take on other things right now.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a just turned 5yo who insists he is in kindergarten now, even though here in California he would be transitional kindergarten if he went to public school. He wants a school list every day, just like the big kids. Lol. My plan:

All About Reading, he's almost done with 1 and will start 2 soon.

HWOT K

Learning Through Sounds book 1, this is mostly just busy work he knows this stuff

Helping Hands, cutting and pasting

Singapore Essentials B

Miquon Orange

Playing with c rods, pattern blocks, etc.

a few educational app games

Tags along with older kids science and history and nature study

My DD turns 6 next month, but would be K in public school.  We're doing a mix of K & 1st grade materials.  Here's what she's been doing (we're a few weeks into our year):

• Wee Folk Art--the picture books, activities, Come Look With Me for picture study, poetry memorization
  • SCM Mathematics with Ray's New Primary Arithmetic--We may add some MUS Alpha later this year
  • McGuffey Primer, building words with reading rods
  • Starfall take-home booklets, Level 1 workbook, phonics puzzle set, and blank dictionary (we've been adding new words from the Primer into this).  I also picked up some writing journals, but we haven't used these yet (my 3rd grader is using one for written narrations).
  • R&S preschool books--I picked up 4 of these and she does them when my other DC are working on copywork and dictation

With my other DC:

• SCM's Learning About Birds with Thornton Burgess and some extra living science books
  • SCM's Middle Ages, Renaissance, & Reformation with some of the grade 1-3 books
  • Laying Down the Rails for Children (character)
  • Family Time Fitness
  • Paper Sloyd for Primary Grades
  • Charlotte Mason style studies for other subjects (nature study, picture study, art, etc.)

We like to have many resources so he can choose for that day.

Bible: Bible Study Guide For All Ages, Positive Action

Language Arts: Reading Lessons Through Literature with mom's handwriting and pulling copywork from memory work

Math/Logic: Miquon, Al Abacus Activities, Ray's, Building Thinking Skills

Social Studies: Books, Geopuzzles, Being around Daddy ;)

Science: Magic School Bus, Zoo pass, OMSI visits, almost daily hikes

Art: Augsburg's Drawing, The Big Yellow Drawing Book, Drawing With Children, How To Teach Art To Children

Music: Piano with Daddy and I'm looking into some singing resources

Spanish: Read alouds, Song School Spanish, Salsa, Copywork

Memory Work: One Bible verse a week with a second sentence involving Catechism, Science, Geography, or whatever strikes his fancy.

• 3 weeks later...

Sonlight core A - history, read alouds, and science - not their LA and I don't like Core A's Bible
AAR 1 (need to buy AAR 2 before Christmas)
MUS primer (it is also almost finished, and I'm debating switching math)
Zaner Bloser Handwriting K/1st, alternating with Lakeshore Learning's My First Writing Prompts Journal
CC
Reading Eggs/ Math Seeds for fun
Dance and swimming lessons

I have Bede's story of me we'll start in January.

We are doing:

Horizons K

Mathseeds

Bob Books

Phonics Pathways

Reading Eggs

Zaner-Bloser K

Build Your Library K

Art at the library (once a week)

My daughter loves workbooks, so we also have several she does whenever she wants, like Kumon.

• 4 weeks later...

Still a work in progress, but here's where we're at.  ;)

Mommy's plan for herself for K5:

• Read through CM Vol. 1, 5, and 6

Mommy's plan for working-with K5-er:

• AAR 1-2
  • Saxon 1
  • Zaner-Bloser Handwriting K
  • CC - Cycle 1 - Memory Work

Daddy's plan to read & narrate with K5-er:

• AO Y0
  • CJS booklists from seminars

If we can get around to it:

• Math-It
  • We Choose Virtues
  • SCM - Laying down the Rails for Children

On his own:

• Chores (unload the dishwasher, set the table, do his own laundry, clean his own bathroom/toilet)
  • Kiko's thinking time (App)
  • What's in the Bible? (DVDs)
  • Mathtacular 1 (DVDs)
  • Somewhere between 1-6 hours of outside time per day
  • And, *most importantly* (for me) quiet time every afternoon (45 minutes in his own room to think, pray, sleep, and "read")

We have planned:

Math: Singapore 1A & 1B (however far we get)

Reading: Finish Reading Reflex & continue reading aloud each day

Writing: HWT 1 & journal writing

That's it. I'm sure we'll do lots of read alouds, art projects, field trips, etc, but I don't feel the need to plan them out ahead of time. I do want to do a bread-baking/butter-making activity at some point in the winter, and I want him to grow something in the spring (maybe strawberries or sunflowers?). Mostly, though, I want him to have lots of time to play.

This is how simple we keep it, too. Singapore for math, Spalding for reading and writing. Our philosophy is that there's lots of time for academics later!

My DD turns 5 in February and would only be starting K where we live now in 2016, but since we are emigrating she needs to start K next year. We will however just continue at her pace.

Reading: starting Sonlight Readers, continue OPGTR

Math: Horizons K Math and LOF Apples - will move beyond this if ready probably to Singapore 1a and 1b

Writing: own handwriting

LA: will start spelling with her

Bible: Have just finished Leading Little Ones to God so still making plans for what we will use next

Science: BFSU1 at a slow pace

History: Will do unit studies on the history of the country we are leaving and the one we are going to, expect to start SOTW1 the year after as my eldest will have finished her first rotation of history by then and I can combine them.

Swimming, would like to find a place that does preschool gymnastics if possible.

Many of our books may be on a container for some time next year and not available - will then switch to bare minimum book usage and use the internet more, have lots of field trips and learn about migration, relationships and the limited value of material possessions :)