Menu

Book a Week 2015 - BW24 - bookish birthdays and what not!

Robin M

I just finished off the last thread. I see Judy Bloom is mentioned. Would someone who liked Are You There God, It,s Me, Margaret please explain what they liked about the book?

Nan, who has discovered a way to clear up a number of life,s little mysteries and is hoping she isn,t being a pest : )

• Like 8

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished off the last thread. I see Judy Bloom is mentioned. Would someone who liked Are You There God, It,s Me, Margaret please explain what they liked about the book?

Nan, who has discovered a way to clear up a number of life,s little mysteries and is hoping she isn,t being a pest : )

As a kid, or as an adult? I haven't read it since I was in the 6th grade, so I can't give you a mature answer. But as an only child who was part of a weird religion and confused about it and everything else, I think it spoke to me in a language that I could relate to.  All the anxieties about getting your period, getting boobs - or not - and trying to figure out how you and your family fit into the bigger world, Margaret was having at the same time I was.  It was the right book at the right time.

And yeah, I tried "I must, I must, I must increase my bust" for years.  Didn't work, but it was nice to know somebody else was worrying about the same stuff I was.  ;)

• Like 10

Halcyon, Grace and Frankie was adorable. I'm pretty sure one of my new life goals is to be as hot as Lily Tomlin when I'm 75.

Pink and Green Mom, high five for being an adoptive mom. I foster and will adopt in the future. I get where you're coming from.

Stacia, I just laughed out loud that you go back and change your ratings. I can't say I've done it often but I'm sure I have at some point. Most of the time I forget about it and then I'll be like, "Why did I rate it THAT?" if I look back later.

Okay, someone recommend one "good" piece of literature, one must read classic, and a book of poetry that you think should be read. I am totally failing at reading anything but fluff this year. Hah.

Nan, I loved the book as a child. I thought it hit on everything that was going through my mind anyway so I felt not so alone. Judy Blume seems to completely understand the mind of an adolescent or a pre-adolescent. I adored her. I still enjoy her books for adults even though they are pretty fluffy.

Rose, I did that chant a little too much. *snort* 

Still reading Ghosts of Tsavo and waiting for it to pick up. I'm kinda bored. It seems like things are going to start to roll along pretty soon though so I'll keep on with it.

• Like 13

I find rating difficult also. I always find myself torn because although I read quite a bit of fluff I do know what "good" literature is supposed to look like. ;) But then you get into the reality of what makes it good, which I think really boils down to how much did the reader enjoy the book. Also what was the reader's purpose for reading the book.....a two hour distraction equates to a decently written piece of fluff. If it did its job well it probably deserves a 4 or 5 because it did it's job well. 

:iagree:

• Like 8

Okay, someone recommend one "good" piece of literature, one must read classic, and a book of poetry that you think should be read. I am totally failing at reading anything but fluff this year. Hah.

Keeping in mind you are still in a busy stage of life with younger children, I've tried to select books that are fairly quick/easy to read...

"Good" piece of literature: Mr. Fox by Helen Oyeyemi

Must-read classic: The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (I love the particular version I linked)

Poetry: Altazor by Vicente Huidobro

• Like 11

I'm enjoying everyone's takes on ratings. I don't know if I feel more wishy-washy this year in my ratings or what.

As far as Judy Blume's Margaret book, I do remember reading it when I was a kid, probably around the same age Rose was when she said she read it. But, I don't particularly remember liking it that much &, in fact, I kind-of remember a vague sense of disappointment when reading it as I liked other books by Blume.

• Like 9

TOday I think I will start Euphoria by Lily King. It's an historical novel based on the life of Margaret Mead, and won a number of awards. Has anyone here read it? 

It's on my shelf still from the "pick a book by its cover" challenge. I think I read the first chapter but I'm going to have to start over because it's been awhile. Because I picked it based upon the cover only, I had no idea it had any connection to Margaret Mead. That makes it more interesting!

• Like 9

As far as Judy Blume's Margaret book, I do remember reading it when I was a kid, probably around the same age Rose was when she said she read it. But, I don't particularly remember liking it that much &, in fact, I kind-of remember a vague sense of disappointment when reading it as I liked other books by Blume.

I remember being a bit disappointed by the Margaret also. I really loved the Judy Blume book Deenie. That's the one where the main character had scoliosis. I just read the summary I think it must of been because so many of my close friends in junior high had issues that were big and she was in the middle which is how I felt. Not sure why but I never shared these books with dd. I think it was a case of by the time she was ready for the topics she had started picking her own books and preferred mysteries or sci fi.

I am on the request list for Blume's newest book. I don't know if I have read any of her other adult books.

• Like 9

On a completely different note or rabbit trail for today... with all the news & discussion this week about Rachel Dolezal (white passing for black), I started thinking of a couple of books I read last year where at least some of the characters are one race passing as another (in the books I read, black passing for white). Both are excellent books that I'm mentioning just in case anyone is looking around for something good to read....

The Ways of White Folks by Langston Hughes

Boy, Snow, Bird by Helen Oyeyemi

• Like 10

As a kid, or as an adult? I haven't read it since I was in the 6th grade, so I can't give you a mature answer. But as an only child who was part of a weird religion and confused about it and everything else, I think it spoke to me in a language that I could relate to.  All the anxieties about getting your period, getting boobs - or not - and trying to figure out how you and your family fit into the bigger world, Margaret was having at the same time I was.  It was the right book at the right time.

And yeah, I tried "I must, I must, I must increase my bust" for years.  Didn't work, but it was nice to know somebody else was worrying about the same stuff I was.  ;)

I guess that explains it.  How my family fit in the world wasn't an issue.  We didn't, as far as I could see, and I was ok with that.  I was sad at times that I couldn't really talk to anyone else in school after about 5th grade, but since I thought everything they were talking about was utterly stupid, there wasn't any worrying or wondering involved.  It was just something I couldn't do anything about.  Or wasn't willing to do anything about.  I did notice that was an issue for Margaret but I didn't understand why she was worried about it.  The other two were non-issues.  I wasn't exactly pleased with my new body because it didn't do what I wanted as easily as my old body, but my family was sympathetic and just  promised me that it would have wonderful advantages later (like lovely cuddly babies) and that I was a classically beautiful shape.  It was all very light and matter-of-fact.  Again, I didn't understand why Margaret was worried about things she couldn't do anything about and didn't appear to me to be a big deal.  Maybe in my case, I was a bit on the late side for everything but my body still was growing faster than my head so I couldn't identify with Margaret.  Maybe the people whose bodies are growing more slowly than their heads identify with her better.  I tried to like the book because everyone thought it was wonderful.  I even read it a few times to see if I'd missed anything.  I guess I didn't.

Nan

• Like 12

Well, Middle Girl wanted me to read to her this week, so I'm going through Tennyson's "Idylls of the King," which I guess would meet all those requirements. I don't know if you must read it, but apparently I must.

Meanwhile finished Ian Macpherson's Wild Harbour:

-----------------

My head is never so busy as when I am occupied with monotonous work. As I cut peats or walk on the hill a multitude of scarcely related thoughts voice themselves in my brain, and I, like a half-attentive eavesdropper, hear my own mind rehearse the hundred shifts and stratagems, the alternating successes and failures which now elate and again depress us as if it was another's voice I heard telling a half-fabulous story. And all the while I am alert for signs in the country, deer with heads in the air, storm-clouds in the sky, with an attention which seems closer and readier and more instinctive when half of my mind is occupied than when I watch and listen with each sense trained to alertness. I have found myself dropping flat on my face in the heather, and I had to recall my wits from day-dreaming, and reason and stare before I knew that it was a stag's horn on the skyline which warned me.

• Like 10

I could use some prayers/positive thoughts.  We're dealing with a nightmarish situation for which there is little we can do right now except pray.

Good thoughts and hugs Eliana.  :grouphug:

It is my last day at this school, I accepted a new position for the fall so instead of spending my summer reading I'll be spending it moving and finding some place to live. But I'm sure I'll get some reading done.

I read the first Miss Fisher but book this week and although I am pretty sure this is heresy I have to say I prefer the TV series. The book was good but not great.

Congratulations! Good luck with your move as well as with the new job.

I would agree with you on MIss Fisher. I'm on the second one only because I needed a light mystery to read, but I liked the tv series much batter. 

I opened this thread chanting in my head, "you will not put anything on hold, you will not put anything on hold, you will NOT put anything on hold...". You all are making it hard. But so far, I'm adding to my MENTAL books-to-read list instead of my library hold list 

Does your library let you make a wish list? Mine does, and I finally started taking advantage of it. Of course, every time I log in it tells me how many and which of my wish list items are available to check out. Willpower is still necessary. :D

Which makes me want to ask the BaW group in general -- do you ever go back & change your ratings on books after the fact? I find that after a few months of mulling over books, I'm inclined to either raise or lower their star ratings, lol. For example, I gave No Country For Old Men 4 stars, but it's one I keep thinking about & really stands out in my mind as one of the best books I've read this year. So, I may go back & bump it up to 5 stars. In the meantime, there are lots of books that I rated 4 stars at the time, but then later feel like I want to go back & rate a 3.

Am I the only one? :lol:

I've done that quite a few times on Goodreads. I usuallly don't rate books anyway because my ratings might not mean the same to someone else. In fact, I have a friend who tends to like similar books and there were a few she passed up because she saw that I "only gave it 3 stars". To me, 3 is good. To her it means don't waste your time. 

• Like 11

I just finished reading Animal Farm.  I'm trying to get ahead of ds14 for Brit Lit.  I will be very interested to hear ds's opinion on this book.  I hope that I can find a way to draw him out a little bit.  He loves reading; he hates analyzing.

• Like 12

I just finished Anthony Doerr's All the Light We Cannot See: A Novel; it's this month's book group selection.  It was a poignant read, and my romance loving nature was hoping for a different ending.  Still, it was well worth reading, and I recommend it.  I imagine we'll have a good discussion on Thursday evening.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

I really wish GoodReads had an 'abandoned' category

Last week:

The Far West by Patricia Wrede -- I liked this quite a bit better than the first two in the series, but I'm not sure why.

And a bakers dozen of abandoned non-fiction :leaving:

I have an abandoned bookshelf on Goodreads. I have stopped entering books until I have read enough to know I am going to finish except when travelling. When we are going on a trip I put everything I am hoping to read on goodreads so I can quickly click read when I happen to have internet.

• Like 8

A review that Jonathan Yardley wrote in the Washington Post on Chad Taylor's novel Departure Lounge opens with the following paragraph:

Still in his thirties, Chad Taylor already has gotten a lot of attention in his native New Zealand, including many enthusiastic reviews and a couple of prestigious literary fellowships, but he hasn't made much of a dent in the United States. Only one of his four previous novels, "Shirker" (2001), has been published here, and though a film adaptation of his novel "Heaven" was released by Miramax in 1998, it doesn't seem to have found much of an audience. "Departure Lounge" may not change any of that but it certainly ought to, because it is smart, original, surprising and just about as cool as a novel can get.

I had initially described the book as a wild ride.  I'm sticking to that description as this "cool" novel wings its way to fellow "cool" reader Stacia. 

Although "cool" is the last thing any of us are at the moment in the sizzling South..

Hey, I have read 50 books so far this year!  Time for this reader to slow down with some long winded chunksters. 

• Like 8

It's on my shelf still from the "pick a book by its cover" challenge. I think I read the first chapter but I'm going to have to start over because it's been awhile. Because I picked it based upon the cover only, I had no idea it had any connection to Margaret Mead. That makes it more interesting!

its really, really good.

in a novelistic way, it delves into how margaret mead (not named that in the book) approaches "the natives"--with less analysis, more discussion with the people themselves. The male anthros in the book attribute this approach to the fact that she is female, which may have something to do with it. but it's a really wonderfully written book, full of romance and adventure and feminism :)

• Like 9

I just finished reading Animal Farm.  I'm trying to get ahead of ds14 for Brit Lit.  I will be very interested to hear ds's opinion on this book.  I hope that I can find a way to draw him out a little bit.  He loves reading; he hates analyzing.

We just listened to an adaption of this from Audible--it may be worth having him listen to it. It's brief and very engaging, with different voices for the animals and such. My kids really enjoyed it.

• Like 8

I just finished a book that I have been reading for a few weeks but was really looking forward to. I had to read a hardback version which is why it took so long, most of my current reading seems to be either on the go or middle of the night, either way that equals on my kindle!

Camille by Pierre Lemaitre is the third book in a French crime/thriller series. I have read and enjoyed all three books as soon as the translations became available. The translation is done extremely well imo. They are able to flow nicely for easy reading yet still feel French. The main character is a good person, a police detective, who simply perseveres through countless crushing obstacles as they come his way. He is a highly untraditional detective because due to his mother's continuous cigarette smoking habit he is short (under 5 foot). I hesitate to say much more because these books tend to peel layers back as you read them and the perspective changes. I can't quite remember what I knew at the start of the journey. I am definitely a fan of this author and will read more of his work as it becomes available.

I couldn't find any good links for Camille so am linking another in the series.http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/book-world-pierre-lemaitres-alex-is-a-thrilling-addition-to-european-crime-fiction/2013/09/29/2d719054-ff66-11e2-9711-3708310f6f4d_story.html

• Like 9

I had initially described the book as a wild ride.  I'm sticking to that description as this "cool" novel wings its way to fellow "cool" reader Stacia. 

:)  Thanks, Jane! I'm really looking forward to this one! :grouphug:

Speaking of cool, I finished Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams last night & loved it. It was smart, mind-twisty, & fun. Just a really enjoyable book to read! I enjoyed this one much more than Hitchhiker's Guide. (I know that's sacrilege in some circles, but there you have it.) Hitchhiker's Guide didn't live up to the hype, imo, while this one seems to be an under-appreciated gem. Recommended. :thumbup1:

• Like 8

Speaking of cool, I finished Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams last night & loved it. It was smart, mind-twisty, & fun. Just a really enjoyable book to read! I enjoyed this one much more than Hitchhiker's Guide. (I know that's sacrilege in some circles, but there you have it.) Hitchhiker's Guide didn't live up to the hype, imo, while this one seems to be an under-appreciated gem. Recommended. :thumbup1:

Aha!  You found your copy!!

I have it on my TBR pile, or will have it back on the pile once the college boy has finished it.  He took it with him on his field work expedition.  Looking forward to reading it (once I finish Jonathan Strange -- it is quite the chunkster!)

• Like 6

:)  Thanks, Jane! I'm really looking forward to this one! :grouphug:

Before boarding a trans-Atlantic or cross country flight, I noted to my husband that I needed reading material.  He plopped Dirk Gently into my hands, a book that I probably would not have read otherwise.  It is fun!

I finished listening to Piece of my Heart, an Inspector Banks mystery from 2007 that I somehow missed.  There are better books in the series but I will say that I like how author Peter Robinson incorporates a musical play list into his books.

Next up on disc is Unseen Academicals, a Terry Pratchett novel which seems most appropriate at the moment with the women's World Cup being played.  We are not exactly sports people but my husband enjoys watching soccer or "the football" as they say across the pond.  So I was giggling in the car today as I ran errands and learned about "foot the ball" ala Discworld. 

Speaking of "the football", it troubled me that the commentators for last night's game (US and Nigeria) were so grammatically challenged.  Comments along the line of "Her and Abby are unstoppable" and "Her and Julie run so well" were said by different broadcasters.  I understand the occasional slip but the use of the accusative instead of the nominative seemed to be common. It annoyed the heck out of me and detracted from the game.

• Like 7

I just finished a book that I have been reading for a few weeks but was really looking forward to. I had to read a hardback version which is why it took so long, most of my current reading seems to be either on the go or middle of the night, either way that equals on my kindle!

Camille by Pierre Lemaitre is the third book in a French crime/thriller series. I have read and enjoyed all three books as soon as the translations became available. The translation is done extremely well imo. They are able to flow nicely for easy reading yet still feel French. The main character is a good person, a police detective, who simply perseveres through countless crushing obstacles as they come his way. He is a highly untraditional detective because due to his mother's continuous cigarette smoking habit he is short (under 5 foot). I hesitate to say much more because these books tend to peel layers back as you read them and the perspective changes. I can't quite remember what I knew at the start of the journey. I am definitely a fan of this author and will read more of his work as it becomes available.

I couldn't find any good links for Camille so am linking another in the series.http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/book-world-pierre-lemaitres-alex-is-a-thrilling-addition-to-european-crime-fiction/2013/09/29/2d719054-ff66-11e2-9711-3708310f6f4d_story.html

Adding these to the growing list.

Jane (who really needs to stop doing this)

• Like 6

Since I know we have a lot of Billy Bryson fans here The Mother Tong is only $1.99 right now

I'm still reading fluff. And I bought more fluff since my "old" colleagues gave me a $45 Amazon gift card as a leaving present. My union gave out vouchers for paperback books (at our local, fantastic, I will definitely miss it, independent book store) as a summer present and I bought GĂƒÂ¶sta Berlings Saga by Selma LagerlĂƒÂ¶f with mine, and now I have to go back to the book shop since I got another one as a leaving present from them. Oh the hardship :lol:

• Like 9

I finished The Ocean at the End of the Lane. It was ok,but it felt like it could have been better.

After that, I read Gourmet Rhapsody. This is one of those books that makes just reading it a sensual experience, the story was not especially appealing, but the words.... Speaking of ratings, I saw that it got a relatively low Goodreads rating because readers wanted it to be like The Elegance of the Hedgehog, which was actually a later work, just translated first. I think it stands on its own merits and is exactly what it claims to be in the title.

I'm now reading The Pluto Files by Neil DeGrasse Tyson, a fun look at "the rise and fall of America's favorite planet."

ETA: I read Are You There God, mostly because it was a book everyone my age was reading that my mother would not approve of. I felt it gave me a connection with other girls, kind of like being in a club. It was hidden under my mattress.

• Like 9

Still reading fluff here. Started Younger by Suzanne Munshower (hey--another free book through Kindle Unlimited-why not?!) and it's a fun read so far. 

Here's a brief synopsis: 

"When PR pro Anna Wallingham gets dumped by her last client, she finds herself running out of options in LA, where looks trump experience. Desperate to prove she is still relevant, the fiftysomething accepts a shady job offer from Pierre Barton, secretive billionaire owner of Barton Pharmaceuticals. Isolated in a facility outside London, she agrees to test a new top-secret product guaranteed to make her look thirty years younger. Anna is starting to look on the outside the way she feels on the inside: ageless. "

• Like 7

Since I know we have a lot of Billy Bryson fans here The Mother Tong is only $1.99 right now

I'm still reading fluff. And I bought more fluff since my "old" colleagues gave me a $45 Amazon gift card as a leaving present. My union gave out vouchers for paperback books (at our local, fantastic, I will definitely miss it, independent book store) as a summer present and I bought GĂƒÂ¶sta Berlings Saga by Selma LagerlĂƒÂ¶f with mine, and now I have to go back to the book shop since I got another one as a leaving present from them. Oh the hardship :lol:

It just dawned on me that your bookstore is the really great one with the wine and cheese (or something similar) evenings. I am excited for you with new job and a move but leaving behind something that fun will be hard. ;( Anyway congratulations on the new job and I hope house hunting goes well. I can't remember when you go back to school there.....do you have all summer to get organized? Or do you start mid August.....seems like it was early.....

• Like 6

As part of my exploration of plays-within-plays and plays which refer to other plays, I read Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead. I was surprised how much it reminded me of Waiting for Godot. It was very clever, but I think I will need to see it staged before I can come to a complete understanding of it.

As for It's Me Margaret, I skipped through it as a teen/preteen, but more because it was supposed to be some kind of forbidden fruit, than because I liked it. Not much in her experience spoke to me. I think the author's aim was to show kids that there were other people who struggled with difficult issues and growing up issues at that age. As for me, I did not have the same worries she had, and it had the odd effect of causing me anxiety, instead of calming it.

ETA and now as a parent, as I think about it, I can not imagine leaving a daughter in a place of such confusion and sadness all on her own.

• Like 9

Just make one.

(Re: making an 'abandoned' shelf on Goodreads)...

When you make the shelf, be sure to check "Exclusive" under the shelf categories. That way, it makes it the same type of shelf of your read, currently-reading, & to-read shelves.

Just make one. I did. In fact, I will be adding the book, The Jinni and the Golem. Sorry everyone. Just so bored. I have to stop. 

I agree. I tried this book awhile ago & didn't make it much past the first chapter. The writing style was so stilted & dull, I couldn't imagine having to read the whole thing.

• Like 4

(Re: making an 'abandoned' shelf on Goodreads)...

When you make the shelf, be sure to check "Exclusive" under the shelf categories. That way, it makes it the same type of shelf of your read, currently-reading, & to-read shelves.

I can't help myself, does goodreads give you recommendations for your "abandoned" shelf? ( I must be tired this is making me laugh too hard and it's not That funny.)

• Like 9

Stacia, well, I've read one of the three (Jekyll and Hyde) so I'll add the other two to my list! 

The Ghosts of Tsavo picked up and then abruptly ended. Boo, hiss. I don't think I'll be reading any more from the series. I think I need to go to the library sans kids and just browse by myself for a while to find something good.

• Like 7

I can't help myself, does goodreads give you recommendations for your "abandoned" shelf? ( I must be tired this is making me laugh too hard and it's not That funny.)

:lol:

Well, I just changed my settings to see if it will. I think it may need some time to update. And, I think if you abandon something, you shouldn't rate it (apparently if you rate something very low, it may not generate suggestions). So, I wonder if it will generate recs since I don't rate the ones I abandon? W/out the star rating, the system might not know which ones on the list to use for further recommendation.

At least it might save me time by having me avoid ones I might hate anyway. Lol.

• Like 7

Well, I just changed my settings to see if it will. I think it may need some time to update. And, I think if you abandon something, you shouldn't rate it (apparently if you rate something very low, it may not generate suggestions). So, I wonder if it will generate recs since I don't rate the ones I abandon? W/out the star rating, the system might not know which ones on the list to use for further recommendation.

At least it might save me time by having me avoid ones I might hate anyway. Lol.

Not sure if I marked my abandoned shelf exclusive or not. It was one of my first shelves and I don't think I know how. I just added a shelf and started using it. I change their status from currently reading to abandoned and make sure my page count is correct. I started my shelf to house books that I should have liked that I read a significant portion of and just can't finish. I actually read one from that shelf by accident earlier this year, got part way through and was hating it at the same point roughly wnd discovered that it was sitting on that shelf. Finished it simply to get it over with. Hopefully I can remember that!

I do get recommendations for my abandoned shelf......always makes me laugh!

• Like 8

I just changed my Abandoned shelf to an exclusive shelf, and on that page you can uncheck "recommendations" to officially stop getting recommendations from that shelf.  I notice that some of the things I shelved as abandoned are things that just didn't grab me at the time and I might come back to, while others I'll never touch again.  So I don't know if I made the right choice.  Hmm, maybe I need an "Abandoned for good" and an "Abandoned for now" shelf!  Ah, the time I can spend organizing my books instead of reading them!  :lol:

• Like 7

Just checked, I get recommendations for my abandoned shelf on Goodreads when I click the icon on the top of the page that gives recommendations by shelf. Interesting to not that many of the books on the list are ones I have considered but ultimately decided didn't suit. I also think they send me a monthly news letter with recommended new releases that is by shelf ...... could be wrong about that but they have sent emails recommending books based on my abandoned.

My AP shelf generates some unique choices also.

• Like 6

Jane, thank you! I pulled Departure Lounge out of my mailbox as ds & I were walking out the door for his haircut. So, I got to start reading it while waiting on him. I have no idea where the story is going & I'm totally enjoying it.

Thanks, friend. :grouphug: :)

• Like 6