Menu

Hobbies for an 11yo girl

solascriptura

As our school year winds down, I'm already hearing complaints of boredom.   :huh:   My dd is a very independent learner, loves to read, but also needs something else to do.  She isn't interested in sports at all. So, we decided that  she is in need of a hobby asap.  I would prefer a handicraft or something like that.  No cheap kids crafts.  She says that she isn't interested in knitting, although I can't figure out why.  What do your pre-teen girls with their free time?  

Dollhouse miniatures.  It's a million hobbies in one.  You can make things for the dollhouse using all kinds of methods.  So, for example, you can weave a little rug on a cardboard loom using string and/or yarn.  You can build simple furniture using basswood and an exacto saw and some glue - or better yet, twig furniture using twigs you gather from your yard or the park.  You can create all kinds of things from Sculpy/Fimo - to make a little pie, use a bottle cap as a pie plate and make the "berries" and "crust" from clay.  You can sew a little quilt for the dolls to sleep under.  And of course you can make the dolls themselves.  Try pipe-cleaner dolls to start with - they're easy - and then move on to using wire/rope/wood frames and embroider little felt clothes for them.  

No need to start with a big fancy dollhouse - a "roombox" is a simpler way to begin.  The "room" can be wood (there are simple kits available) or create something from cardboard or foamcore, or build a little tent or an outdoor scene. (ETA - Yikes!  I remembered roombox kits being much cheaper than the ones I found thru Google!  Instead, simple walls can be made from mat board and hinged with decorative tape - think science fair board shape - and then doors or windows can be cut out and pictures glued on.  The advantage here is that they can be folded up and put away when not in use.)

There are lots of ideas all over the internet.  This is a hobby that can be done at all ages.  Adult dollhouse crafters are often happily married to model train enthusiasts; they are similar hobbies.

• Like 3

Does she want to learn an instrument?

Also, even if she isn't into sports I would encourage some sort of sustained physical activity. It doesn't need to be competitive. It could be yoga or hiking or swimming or just riding her bike.

Are there volunteer or odd jobs she could do?

• Like 2

Crochet

paper quilling

sewing

fabric painting

silk dyeing

making doll clothes

whittling

wood carving

carpentry

baking

fiction writing

leatherwork (various knids, from decorative to constructing.)

jewellery making

stained glass

bead-making--paper, glass, wood, fimo...

landscape sketching or painting

miniatures, like doll houses.

calligraphy

cartooning

knitting chain mail (not actually "knitting" like with yarn, but that is what it's called.)

(Note, this isn't what my pre-teen girls do since my only one is 2.  ;)  Just a list of things that could work.)

• Like 1

Papercrafting- scrapbooking or cardmaking?

Dd began her obsession with jewelry design right around that age. Try Firemountaingems.com for jewelry supplies that don't break the bank!

I know you saif she is not interested in knitting, but how about spinning? Drop spindles are fairly inexpensive. Or you can find instructions online to make your own with an old cd.

My dd is 10. She likes-

Paper crafting

Wood burning and carving

Rainbow loom

Crocheting

Archery

Artistic journaling (where it's not just written entries, but quotes, drawings, decorated lettering, ect)

Nature crafting-today she made a pea shooter from some bamboo, she's made fairy houses, collages with leaves and twigs, ect.

Working with clay

Cooking

Hand sewing

• Like 1

I'll look into it. Hmm...

Their website is different than I remember...looks like they were bought by scholastic. I still see a lot of familiar titles though.

A large bookstore might have a good selection to look at and I think Michaels crafts might carry some.

My 12 year old daughter is currently in her room making a fleece tie blanket.  She enjoys repurposing items throughout the house, sewing, painting, scrapbooking, making jewelry, stamping cards, decorating clothing, and almost anything else that is creative.  She made me a beautiful pain of earrings for Mother's Day.  She has also started trying to make a rag rug.  Pinterest is where she goes for ideas and she looks up how-to videos to learn how do whatever she cannot figure out on her own.

Diy.org is actually a great idea.  Especially if you "assigned" challenges. 

I totally agree with the physical activity thing though.  I would have her train for a 5K, or work up mileage on a bike, or just run around at parks too. 

My almost 11 year old dances.  She also loves to draw.  Rainbow loom was huge here for a LONG time and still comes out sometimes.  I did teach her to crochet, but she didn't love it.  I'm teaching a beginning knitting and crochet class to beginners this fall and I think I will have her take it.  My kids just try a bunch of stuff.  Sometimes I push to get them to try because that's their personalities.  Some things stick.  Some don't.

• Like 2

Does she want to learn an instrument?

Also, even if she isn't into sports I would encourage some sort of sustained physical activity. It doesn't need to be competitive. It could be yoga or hiking or swimming or just riding her bike.

Are there volunteer or odd jobs she could do?

She swims and will pursue life guarding when she is 15.  She plays piano, but doesn't like it enough to play beyond her required daily 20 minute practice.  good ideas, thanks!

My 12 year old daughter is currently in her room making a fleece tie blanket.  She enjoys repurposing items throughout the house, sewing, painting, scrapbooking, making jewelry, stamping cards, decorating clothing, and almost anything else that is creative.  She made me a beautiful pain of earrings for Mother's Day.  She has also started trying to make a rag rug.  Pinterest is where she goes for ideas and she looks up how-to videos to learn how do whatever she cannot figure out on her own.

The repurposing is a great idea.  Unfortunately for her, I am a minimalist, so everything I don't have a good use for usually goes in the garbage.  I kind of feel badly for my kids.  When I tell them that I am in the mood for purging, they frantically start to put all of their toys and stuff away.  "Oh no!  Mom is purging!  Quick, put everything away!"   

Baking and bread making, I started both when I was her age. I made the craziest stuff because no one told me I shouldn't. One of the first things I made was a cheesecake. I am still an excellent cheesecake maker to this day. There is so much to learn about baking and cooking. Let her watch some alton Brown on Netflix and take some cookbooks out of the library. Let her spend some $ on ingredients and see what she comes up with.

• Like 2

Rainbow looming is way different than using a loom. Plus there is no shortage of rainbow loom videos on YouTube. Dd has made loads of cool things.

Duct tape crafts! Also no shortage of videos on that. Dd really loves her duct tape crafts.

Oh, and around here if you say you're bored, you are put to work. ;)

• Like 1

My daughter enjoys computer coding and doing science projects from decent quality kits. Yesterday she extracted DNA from an onion. Lol. And then was very disappointed our microscope was not adequate to actually see the DNA strands. Lol

She also writes stories, plays playmobil, goes for bike rides, etc. This summer she wants to learn stop motion animation.

My DD draws/writes a webcomic and a blog. Citizen science projects are also a good way to spend the time. If you have a Project FrogWatch chapter in your area, they're partnering with PBSKids SciGirls to offer workshops focused on pre-teen girls this summer in various parts of the country (DD's chapter is doing one and she gets to attend as a helper-she's not eligible to be a student since she's done FrogWatch training in the past).

• Like 1