Menu

Free Audiobooks all summer long

I'm happy to see this program back for another summer, we downloaded some great free audiobooks last year. They pair a YA title with a classic title each week.

This week's pairing is Rebecca and Beautiful Creatures.  Anybody read the latter? I suppose I can just listen to it to decide if it's age-appropriate, but I'd love a review . . . 

http://www.audiobooksync.com/

• Like 12

Good idea, or if you can't find it just start a new one.  I think somebody started a new thread each week all summer last year.  It does help you remember! Although you can sign up on the site to get email notification each week, that's how I figured out it had started.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Never mind, I see in the FAQs that the MP3 files are to keep.

One thing I hadn't considered. My are downloaded via the Overdrive program. When my hard drive went kaput, I was able to get my files back through a backup - however, the SYNC files that were mine to keep don't show up in Overdrive anymore. They still exist on my new hard drive and there is probably some way of playing them, but the easy click-to-transfer-to-my-MP3-player stuff is gone.

I haven't figured out how to get them back into Overdrive.  :huh:  I'm sure someone more tech-savvy than me (which is just about any kid nowadays) could figure it out. So, don't change computers or let your hard drive die without having a tech-savvy kid in your family.  :leaving:

ETA:  New ones are available for Week 2! Dodger isn't available in the UK, but you can get it in Canada. 

Thank you! I had Rebecca on my summer reading list, so I've got a head start with the audio download!

i am at work and wondering what will happen next in the book.  I am on track 3 and she is about ready to leave the hotel.  I saw the movie eons ago (VCR), so I know what happens, but I still want to know what happens next in the book.  

I was telling my husband about this.  I am so excited!  He doesn't even like audiobooks, although he loves books.  He hadn't looked at this list but he mentioned that book lists like this always seem to be aimed at females.  Based on what I remembered, I couldn't dispute that for this list.  But then I am a woman and Little Women is second on my excited-about list and I may have thought "ehh" to a male book and didn't remember it.  I tried to dispute it with Great Expectations, but he thought that was a chick book too.  

What do you guys think?

Oh, I don't know - this week is pretty boy-friendly, a novel about Malcolm X and poetry by Walter Dean Myers?  the Living and The Perfect Storm? Monster and Lord of the Flies? The Explorers Club and Around the World in 80 Days? Huck Finn? Courage Has No Color? In the Heat of the Night? Under a War-Torn Sky?

Seems plenty boy-friendly to me, in fact I noticed that there are quite a few my daughters probably won't be interested in.  Tell your dh to look at the list before making pronouncements like that!  :)  :001_tt2:  ;)

• Like 1

Oh, they are all in Overdrive on mine too.  Click on "Group by Subject" and browse what is there.  I had just thought that their Subjects were interesting.  I haven't gotten to "X" yet so I don't know why it is alone in Juvenile Fiction, while the others except for Great Expectations is in Young Adult Fiction.  

• 1 month later...

I read (so far) two books I've really enjoyed through this (and found a new "Listen to books on your iphone app)

Dodger by Terry Pratchett

and

Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein

Anne Frank Remembered is on the list next

And The Explorers Club

March looks interesting too.

Glad I downloaded last night! Thought I had one more day but was afraid I'd forget

Dodger was a complete but wonderful surprise.  I never read any of his before.   "To urch" makes me giggle whenever I think of it.  I even looked into sending Terry Pratchett a fan message, but he died.  Much preferred it over Great Expectations.  

I had never read any of his before either. But I had heard so much. YES!

Okay- I missed most of the summer's offerings, but...

I just started listening to Pratchett's Wee Free Men.  I read the book years ago and I am thoroughly enjoying the audiobook.  It makes me chuckle.

We do have Dodger on a shelf.  Glad to hear the audiobook is a good one!

So, I guess you only have to download the Overdrive file during a specific week? I'm downloading the MP3 files to Huck Finn right now (expired yesterday), as I didn't get a chance to last week. There was a lot I didn't download because it takes so long for me to download the files. Maybe I should have made sure I snatched all of the Overdrive files in hopes of downloading the MP3s later.

Yes, you have to get it during that week.  I believe you have to get it into Overdrive during the week too.  

I don't listen to audiobooks over again.  Well, except for Dark Tower and an occasional non-fiction.  So, I don't buy them, which means whatever I am listening to either has to be eventually returned or ripped for later use or expires.  It has been really lovely having lots stuff on my "bookshelf" ready for me, and a reading list to help me not forget one.  

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I'm not crazy about all of the YA choices.  I skipped the seal wives one.  I also bailed on A Color of White - it didn't hold my interest.  I loved Dodger, and I'm listening to March right now.  It's a wonderful book, but it definitely feels like an adult book to me rather than a YA book.  It would be fine for older teens who were studying American History and familiar with Little Women, but it's not for the faint-hearted.

It seems to me that a number of the YA selections are really best for older teens, not for younger readers.

ETA: Having finished March, I would definitely say it is an adult book.  It has a lovely tie-in to Little Women, but I'd hate to see an unsuspecting mom assign it to her young kid who had loved Little Women!

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I missed Week 5's Words in the Dust, although it was apparently available longer than it should have been. I used to get emails reminding me to download them every week & haven't been lately. Have to set myself a reminder!