Menu

Book a Week 2015 - W18: Machiavellian May

Robin M

I assume you were talking Game of Thrones/Song of Ice and Fire?

I've had a love/hate relationship with the books for years.  I love the world and was enthralled by the first 2 books. The 3rd book started to annoy me and by the 4th book I gave up.  Finally read the 5th book after the tv series started.  My dh and I are huge fans of the tv show as is my college boy, but he doesn't watch it with us!  I've had rehearsals the last several Sunday nights, but my dh records the show so we can watch it together when I get home. 

While reading the 5th book I relied heavily on the ASOIF wiki where you can find anything on any character or chapter that you could want to know.  It had been so long between books that I'd forgotten all the secondary and tertiary characters (and GRRM -- the author--keeps adding more.)

For those of you ready to totally geek out with me, Entertainment Weekly has a very fun weekly tv-book club that compares the series to the books. 

Its true I'm a total geek -- until I'm surrounded by the Comic-con hordes where by comparison I'm just your average suburban mom!!  Those people are obsessed!

I don't have HBO, or cable/satellite/tv in any form, so there's very little chance I'll ever see the HBO series. But I do really like big epic fantasies that create intricate and believable worlds, and with all the hype of Season 5 on Facebook, etc. I decided to give the books a shot. I like the first book so far, but I've barely started. I have some idea that a lot of bad things happen to a lot of people . . . . sometimes that is ok and sometimes it's a turnoff.  I don't know if I'd watch it if I could, I don't have much of a stomach for violence and gore, and definitely not torture. I can read about it, but I don't want to see or hear it.

• Like 8

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Middle Girl finished the Tom Phillips Inferno with the weird illustrations today and is looking around for the Purgatorio, though she suspects, with some justification, that the Saved will be much less interesting than the Damned.

I got to spend the day in bed with Wee Girl, both of us napping off a stomach virus, and while she caught up on Magic Schoolbus episodes I read The Vet's Daughter (1959) by Barbara Comyns. I don't even know what to say about this book, so here's the NYRB review: http://www.nybooks.com/books/imprints/classics/the-vets-daughter/

Money quote: "like an unexpected cross between Flannery O’Connor and Stephen King." Which I can't say made for a happy marriage. Comyns' writing is not bad, even rising to quite good in places, but her persistent failure of characterization is the novel's undoing. The cartoonishly evil father in particular spoils the first half.

• Like 10

Reading Adrienne Rich's collected poems this week. Here is canto (?) 5 from her poem "North American Time.

V

Suppose you want to write

of a woman braiding

another woman's hair—

staightdown, or with beads and shells 50 in three-strand plaits or corn-rows—

you had better know the thickness

the length the pattern

why she decides to braid her hair

how it is done to her

what country it happens in

what else happens in that country

You have to know these things

I really like Adrienne Rich. Somehow her poems inspire me to write mine. Why? Why are some poets inspirational and some are not, no matter how good?

• Like 13

I finished reading The 100 by Kass Morgan last night.  I've never watched the TV show.  My daughter who has seen a few episodes and read the whole trilogy assures me the books are way better and the TV show does not follow them much at all.  Pretty much they just have the same premise.  Anyway, the writing isn't great.  But you get incredibly sucked into the story.  I started it Sunday and it's over 300 pages.  And now I totally understand why when she finished the first book my daughter begged me to buy the second right away!

• Like 10

I wanted to say I'm sorry for the death of a friend and the struggles with age here. DH's mother is near the end of a battle with early onset dementia and we struggle along with her. It's a good struggle. We love her and want to make things positive for her. When people lose their ability to communicate you put love in a hundred metaphors and hope that one of them catches. You hope to see the love received and reflected back for one moment. 

:grouphug: , Jane. I have another friend who lost two elderly friends in the past week too. We are struggling right now with my dear fil's health, which is deteriorating. It's heartbreaking & is hitting my dh hard (me too).

Just not much concentration for reading lately. I'm still working on Pratchett's Going Postal. My slow pace does not indicate anything other than I'm completely scattered & swamped lately. I'm thoroughly enjoying it & can see why both my ds & Jenn love Moist von Lipwig! He is cracking me up. I guess Vetinari can be my character stand-in right now for Machiavellian May, eh?

I think Vetinari is most Machiavellian. :)

Reading Adrienne Rich's collected poems this week. Here is canto (?) 5 from her poem "North American Time.

V
Suppose you want to write
of a woman braiding
another woman's hair—
staightdown, or with beads and shells 50 in three-strand plaits or corn-rows—
you had better know the thickness
the length the pattern
why she decides to braid her hair
how it is done to her
what country it happens in
what else happens in that country

You have to know these things
I really like Adrienne Rich. Somehow her poems inspire me to write mine. Why? Why are some poets inspirational and some are not, no matter how good?

I think inspiration is about connection. Sometimes a poet is good but we don't connect with them (for whatever reason...different experiences, understanding, etc.). It's really a charge when you do connect with a poet, isn't it? I'm not a gambler at heart, but poetry is a beautiful gamble and I love when it pays out. 

I'm reading Jorie Graham right now. 

The Way Things Work

is by admitting 
or opening away. 
This is the simplest form 
of current: Blue 
moving through blue; 
blue through purple; 
the objects of desire 
opening upon themselves 
without us; the objects of faith. 
The way things work 
is by solution, 
resistance lessened or 
increased and taken 
advantage of. 
The way things work 
is that we finally believe 
they are there, 
common and able 
to illustrate themselves. 
Wheel, kinetic flow, 
rising and falling water, 
ingots, levers and keys, 
I believe in you, 
cylinder lock, pully, 
lifting tackle and 
crane lift your small head-- 
I believe in you--
your head is the horizon to
my hand. I believe 
forever in the hooks. 
The way things work 
is that eventually 
something catches. 

• Like 12

Thanks all. :grouphug:  Fil is still in the hospital. We were hoping he might be released today, but I'm not sure that will be the case. He is improving, but his new 'normal' is a far cry from what he was (hale, hearty, & healthy) about half a year ago. Blah. Lots going on & I just feel like sitting here crying.

I did finish Pratchett's Going Postal & really enjoyed it. I always find his books fun & witty. Not sure I was in the right mental space while reading it but it was still fun.

• Like 13

I finished Persuasion last night.  It's about in the middle of my Austen list:

1) P&P

2) S&S

3) Persuasion

4) Northanger Abbey

5) Emma

I didn't include Mansfield Park because I read it last in high school. These I've all re-read in the past year. I did experience them differently now, on the "other side" of being a young woman, and as a more experienced reader. I really love them, though, and it's been fun to revisit them all.

• Like 10

Thanks all. :grouphug: Fil is still in the hospital. We were hoping he might be released today, but I'm not sure that will be the case. He is improving, but his new 'normal' is a far cry from what he was (hale, hearty, & healthy) about half a year ago. Blah. Lots going on & I just feel like sitting here crying.

I did finish Pratchett's Going Postal & really enjoyed it. I always find his books fun & witty. Not sure I was in the right mental space while reading it but it was still fun.

Wishing you all the strength you need!

• Like 8

Thanks all. :grouphug:  Fil is still in the hospital. We were hoping he might be released today, but I'm not sure that will be the case. He is improving, but his new 'normal' is a far cry from what he was (hale, hearty, & healthy) about half a year ago. Blah. Lots going on & I just feel like sitting here crying.

I "liked" your post, but it was more a show of support.  I'm so sorry you're all dealing with this... wishing you comfort, and strength to help FIL and your loved ones on whatever the journey brings.  :grouphug:

• Like 8

Thank you for the idea about checking on my meds Robin, I tend to have weird reactions to meds so I'll ask. Although the CAT scan was inconclusive they did see something and it could be causing the head aches.

My copy of Pioneer Girl arrived today. That is going to take a while to get through. The book that was released today was The Friend Zone by Kristen Callihan. I'm about half way through by reading during breakfast, lunch and in between parent teacher conferences.

• Like 10

I had something super cool happen and I have to tell you guys because you're the only ones that might also think it's cool.

So you remember me telling you about how much I loved the John Pickett series by Sheri Cobb South?  (She also wrote The Weaver Takes a Wife.)

I kinda wrote her a slightly gushy fangirl type email telling her how much I loved her series over the winter.  She has the next book in the series coming out in September BUT she sent me an ARC to read/review because I wrote her a nice note!  It totally made my day.  

Yesterday I got the book and you guys know me ... yesterday I finished the book.  It was awesome!  The series is kinda Regency Romance and kinda Cozy Mystery.  Basically I think she must be writing books just for me.  :)

• Like 17

My 7 year old has been on a Meindert de Jong kick for a while and we finished Shadrach last month, then started reading Wheel on the School.  Then I got a terrible sore throat and couldn't read anything aloud.  He's really itching for me to finish that book, though!

--Angela

I loved the Wheel on the school when we read it aloud. Wonderful book.

I hope all of your family recovers from their various ailments soon. At our house patient zero always receives a great deal of teasing because their germs always seem to get the rest of us in the end no matter how much disinfecting of door handles and light switches I do! I can't even imagine it with eight kids.

We loved Wheel on the School too!  It was a little slow to get started and then everything just came together and was wonderful.  

• Like 7

(((Tam)))

(((Stacia)))

(((Zee)))

:crying:

I'm sorry you guys are having such sad times.  I wish I was there for a IRL hug and to bring you dinner.  

• Like 12

Elias Khoury sums up the misery of war well in White Masks: "Wars are like cats, it's one litter after another..."

Stacia, who sent me this novel, called it "harrowing". Indeed. Khoury sent me on numerous rabbit trails as I attempted to educate myself (re-educate myself) on the Lebanese Civil War. I feel more dismayed than ever but then that is exactly what this novelist/advocate for social justice probably wanted me to feel.

In an attempt to learn more about Khoury, I went to the Archipelago website, Archipelago being his American publisher. There I found some news items for those BaWers who are interested in books in translation.

Scholastique Mukasonga won the Fondation du Judaïsme’s 2015 Prix Bernheim. While I am not familiar with the prize, I congratulate this author of Our Lady of the Nile.

The shortlist for the Best Translated Book Award can be found here. Stacia, one item on the list may have your name on it, Fantomas Versus the Multinational Vampires
:

00-HS3-Julio-Cortazar-Fantomas.png

Finalists for poetry in translation here.

• Like 8

Thank you again, everyone. The hugs & good thoughts are happily received! :grouphug:  (Fil is still in the hospital. Thought they would discharge him today but before he left, they did another EKG, decided it was drastically different than one 5 months ago & have scheduled him for a dye procedure -- can't even think of the name right now -- for Thursday. So, in the hospital he remains.... Hoping they have the wisdom & capability to figure out & treat, if possible, his issues. Any good thoughts or prayers or happy vibes you want to send his way would be appreciated.) Otoh, my mil is not the worrying type & was busy chomping at the bit to get out (she can't drive anymore) & wanted to go to a get-together with some of her gal pals at lunchtime today. So, ds & I took her. It was at a lovely, lovely cafe & we had a wonderful lunch & some reading time in the sun. Much needed. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I'll stick with the book I started at lunch or not.

Jane, hope you found it worthwhile to read Khoury's book. (I can't say 'enjoyed' to a book about the effects of war, kwim?) Lol about the Fantomas book. Will have to look into it!

Amy, that's cool about the ARC book!

Everyone else facing health &/or family issues, you're in my thoughts too. :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

• Like 9

I'm currently away from home on a trip with my husband to Arizona.  We've investigated some Hopi ruins, visited Meteor Crater, spent half a day at the Lowell Observatory and generally had a good time.  Tomorrow we're off to see the Grand Canyon (South Rim, Jane!) which I've never seen.  This is my first time online in days, so I'll have to read the thread later after I get home.

Before leaving, I read and enjoyed

Fatal Shadows: The Adrien English Mystery Series (Volume 1) by Josh Lanyon

"One sunny morning Los Angeles bookseller and aspiring mystery author Adrien English opens his front door to murder. His old high school buddy (and employee) has been found stabbed to death in a back alley following a loud and very public argument with Adrien the previous evening. Naturally the cops want to ask Adrien a few questions; they are none too impressed with his answers, and when a few hours later someone breaks into Adrien's shop and ransacks it, the law is inclined to think Adrien is trying to divert suspicion from himself. Adrien knows better. Adrien knows he is next on the killer's list."

While on the road, I've read:

Kristen Ashley's The Golden Dynasty (Fantasyland Series Book 2) -- fun read but has elements that some would find troubling.  

Rhea Rhodan's Finding Grace -- enjoyable read

and a re-read of Sarina Bowen's The Year We Fell Down (The Ivy Years Book 1).

Happy reading all!

Regards,
Kareni
  • Like 12

I am reading Erik Larson's new one, Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania and it's really good so far.  Gosh, I'm really starting to hate my German roots.  LOL!  What bastards some of them were.  Grr.  (Not necessarily my *family*, although I have no clue about my ancestors there so maybe they were bastards, too.  LOL)

ANYhow...  ;)  On a lighter note, I'm reading Henry Huggins aloud to my youngest and we came to a part where Henry goes to the library and the librarian asks him, "Have you come for another book about gienats and orges?"  My eyes scan ahead so in my mind I'm thinking what the heck, what a bizarre set of typos!  I know it's supposed to say "giants and ogres" but the one word looks like "orgies".  LOL  We laughed about it (sans an orgy joke) and then keep reading and find out it's supposed to be the mistaken way Henry says the words.  Felt like an idiot.

• Like 12

Thanks for fixing the links, Jane. The Fantomas book looks interesting, one because it's written by Julio Cortazar (who wrote Hopscotch, the book you can read in various orders, that we did as a group read-along here on the BaW thread a year or two ago), and two because of the topic/subject.

Kareni, have fun! Did you see any prairie dogs or big tumbleweeds while out there? Those were two things this East Coaster found fun & exciting to see when we spotted them! (The prairie dogs were adorable & the tumbleweed was bigger than me.)

• Like 9

So after reading most of The 100 in a day, I read all of Day 21 (book 2 in the trilogy) in a day.  And I started Homecoming (last book) this morning and I'm more than halfway through it.  I've never read a book where the writing itself is a bit lacking, but the book is so incredibly suck you in I can't put it down.

In other news, hardly anything has been done around our house the last few days (other than reading, school, and meals... at least I remembered to feed everyone relatively on time, right?).

• Like 11

My copy of Pioneer Girl arrived today. That is going to take a while to get through. The book that was released today was The Friend Zone by Kristen Callihan. I'm about half way through by reading during breakfast, lunch and in between parent teacher conferences.

Mine just arrived!  It's going to take me a couple of weeks to get through this!

• Like 10

So after reading most of The 100 in a day, I read all of Day 21 (book 2 in the trilogy) in a day.  And I started Homecoming (last book) this morning and I'm more than halfway through it.  I've never read a book where the writing itself is a bit lacking, but the book is so incredibly suck you in I can't put it down.

Ohhhh, I get it now!  We watched the first few episodes of this on the CW channel!  I knew it sounded familiar.  lol  The show was sort of suck you in, too, but a little cheesy and all the people are young and gorgeous.  Come on. (That's CW for you, though.  :P )

• Like 8

My copy of Enchanted Forest just arrived! Amazon was out of stock for awhile. It's beautiful.

Youngest first asked me why I got it (like, "who would want a coloring book." Or maybe "why would a 49-year-old want a coloring book.") Then as we turned pages she got into it, looking for the animals in the drawings. Then "When do you have time for coloring? I want to do that one. You know you'll never get it done by yourself!" Need to clean off the table and go find the big set of prismacolors...

Thanks for mentioning this one, Robin. I think it's a very nice 49th birthday gift! (used my bday gift card from my sister)

• Like 13

I haven't been very productive bookwise lately. I feel like I am testing too. ;( I finished two novellas which suits my current attention span:

Rock Courtship by Nalini Singh which is part of the Rock addiction series. Enjoyable, lots of adult content.

Ring in the Dead by JA Jance which is number 20.5 in her JP Beaumont series. A quick look back at when Jonas first became a policeman.

• Like 8

Book news:

Dante and the Eternal Quest for Non religious Divinity on Brainpickings

Syfy series based on Grossman's Magician

2015 Best Translated Books Award Fiction finalists

World Literature Today - a Booklist of contemporary Hebrew writings

Reading Swann's Way about an hour a day and enjoying it so far.  I think the journey is more about Proust's writing and the ideas his words bring to mind.  The man certainly has a way with words

"I would turn to and fro between the prayer- desk and the stamped velvet armchairs, each one always draped in its crocheted antimacassar, while the fire, baking like a pie the appetising smells with which the air of the room, was thickly clotted, which the dewy and sunny freshness of the morning had already 'raised' and started to 'set,' puffed them and glazed them and fluted them and swelled them into an invisible though not impalpable country cake, an immense puff- pastry, in which, barely waiting to savour the crustier, more delicate, more respectable, but also drier smells of the cupboard, the chest- of- drawers, and the patterned wall- paper I always returned with an unconfessed gluttony to bury myself in the nondescript, resinous, dull, indigestible, and fruity smell of the flowered quilt."

Finished Kay Hooper's Sleeping with Fear from the Fear Trilogy in her Bishop Scu Special Crimes Unit series.  So very good.

Riley Crane woke up fully dressed, a gun under her pillow, and covered in blood. Even more frightening, she didn't remember what happened the night before. In fact, she barely remembered the previous three weeks.   An ex-army officer, now a federal agent assigned to the Special Crimes Unit, Riley was a chameleon -- a clairvoyant who could blend in with her surroundings, be anyone or anything she chose to be. The SCU's expert in the occult, she'd been sent to the beach-front cottage on Opal Island by her enigmatic chief, Noah Bishop, to investigate reports of dangerous and occult activity.

• Like 7

Lots of virtual hugs and prayers and kisses and good thoughts and vibes winging everyone's way.

:grouphug:

There's something in a simple hug
That always warms the heart;
It welcomes us back home
And makes it easier to part.

A hug is a way to share the joy
And sad times we go through,
Or just a way for friends to say
They like you 'cause you're you.

Hugs are meant for anyone
For whom we really care,
From your grandma to your neighbor,
Or a cuddly teddy bear.

A hug is an amazing thing ~
It's just the perfect way
To show the love we're feeling
But can't find the words to say.

It's funny how a little hug
Makes everyone feel good;
In every place and language,
It's always understood.

And hugs don't need new equipment,
Special batteries or parts ~
Just open up your arms
And open up your hearts. 

By Johnny Ray Ryder

• Like 8

Or rattlesnakes? :D

You're evil. :lol:

I did hike in an area (in CO) that had quite a few signs warning of rattlesnakes. I still can't figure out *why* I actually still hiked there!  :eek:  Heatstroke confuses one's decision-making skills, maybe???!!!

• Like 8

:grouphug: Jane...

and  :grouphug: Stacia...

and  :grouphug: Lost Surprise...

and hoping your headache subsides, Zee...

sigh.

Rose, I tried Game of Thrones a year or so back and couldn't get past the misogyny of the first few episodes.  I abandoned the project (OK, there's a teeny tiny chance that "stomped off in a self-righteous huff" might be a more apt description).  My husband and son stuck it out, though, and assure me that it gets better.

Angel, I hope you had a great birthday!

Jenn, one of these years I have to organize my life so I can get to ComicCon.  Every year a handful of friends make it out there.  I know I'd be another middle aged mom in the midst of madness as well, but I'm sooooo curious!

I have some book stuff, but I'm too tired just now.  Tomorrow!

• Like 12

Whoa.  Just finished Saga.  That was different than I normally read and some of the scenes are a bit *spicy*.  (Angel - this is not the book for you!)  The plot and world building and characters ... HOW COOL!

Thank you Robin!  Good choice.  

• Like 11

Whoa.  Just finished Saga.  That was different than I normally read and some of the scenes are a bit *spicy*.  (Angel - this is not the book for you!)  The plot and world building and characters ... HOW COOL!

Thank you Robin!  Good choice.  

Yes, it is a bit spicy.  I almost let James look at it when it arrived, then decided, wait I better check it out first, because you just never know with graphic novels.   :w00t:    Then I thought, does Amy know, then I figured you did, otherwise you wouldn't be asking for it.  Yes, I had some angst about sending it.  Whew!  Glad you enjoyed it. 

• Like 9

Yes, it is a bit spicy.  I almost let James look at it when it arrived, then decided, wait I better check it out first, because you just never know with graphic novels.   :w00t:    Then I thought, does Amy know, then I figured you did, otherwise you wouldn't be asking for it.  Yes, I had some angst about sending it.  Whew!  Glad you enjoyed it. 

That's funny.  I think it was on my list because it was recommended here.  The first few pages I thought DD might like it even though there was a bit of cussing and then *spicy*.  Um ... nope!

My Regency novels with their chaste kisses will seem even more chaste after that!

• Like 7

I have started a couple of books.

Stuffocation: Why We've Had Enough of Stuff and Need Experience More Than Ever by James Wallman. This is yet another book I'm reading in the decluttering/minimizing category. I think I've mentioned that parts of my extended family are hoarders or almost-hoarders & I seek to understand as well as make sure any genetic component doesn't kick in for me. Already, I can say that Wallman needed a decent editor as easily a third of what I've read could have been edited out. The book could use (& would greatly benefit from) some serious de-stuffifying itself. Still, there have been some interesting snippets amid the word clutter. I plan to continue reading it. It's pretty easy to read with only half the brain engaged & to pick up/put down as life dictates.

The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli. I've never read this famous work. I know it's considered short & easy to read, but I have a version with a lot of footnotes. Maybe my brain is slower these days too because I think this may take me awhile to get through it. I've read just the first few sections & am enjoying it so far. I can see why it is still read even now.

• Like 12

I assume you were talking Game of Thrones/Song of Ice and Fire?

I've had a love/hate relationship with the books for years.  I love the world and was enthralled by the first 2 books. The 3rd book started to annoy me and by the 4th book I gave up.

That has been largely my experience with those books. Only I was never enthralled, just curious to see how a few select threads played out. After the last one I said I just didn't give a crap about any of them any more. We tried watching the show, but honestly, I find it boring.  I can go off on a nice rant about those books...but honestly, we all have better things to do with our time, lol.

I am slogging through The Golden Notebook. I clearly had NO idea what I was getting into when I started this book, lol. I can't say that I like it, but I do find it compelling.

• Like 11

I started a new book this morning, at least I thought I did. It was odd that when I started reading it I was at 19 percent. I figured I had made a mistake on the page bar at some point since it expires tomorrow. I sounded familiar, it is a bit Dan Brown. I am actually enjoying it.....went to put it on Goodreads and found it on my abandoned shelf.

The book is A Season for the Deadhttps://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10571875-a-season-for-the-dead

• Like 8

I read Homecoming (last of The 100 trilogy) yesterday.  It ended very, very well.  It was a bit sad, a bit hopeful, and a bit exciting.  I think that's the first the author (Kass Morgan) has written.  She did a great job!  I'm surprised I don't have a book hangover.  Some books I finish and I'm so incredibly sad and miss the characters and feel like there should be more.  This one seemed so nicely ended that I feel like my time with them is complete.

Next up: Psych's Guide to Crime Fighting for the Completely Unqualified.  It had a fake review/quote from Pierre Despereaux on the front of the cover.  My husband thinks we should take it with us to Dallas Fan Expo at the end of the month and get Cary Elwes to sign it.

• Like 8

I have started a couple of books.

The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli. I've never read this famous work. I know it's considered short & easy to read, but I have a version with a lot of footnotes. Maybe my brain is slower these days too because I think this may take me awhile to get through it. I've read just the first few sections & am enjoying it so far. I can see why it is still read even now.

I am also planning on reading The Prince, after (if?) I finish Inferno. So far I've just been dabbling in a few introductory essays, I haven't actually tackled it yet, my reading time has been too scattered. Maybe this weekend.

That has been largely my experience with those books. Only I was never enthralled, just curious to see how a few select threads played out. After the last one I said I just didn't give a crap about any of them any more. We tried watching the show, but honestly, I find it boring.  I can go off on a nice rant about those books...but honestly, we all have better things to do with our time, lol.

I'm about halfway through Game of Thrones now.  It occurred to me that Tolstoy's claim about happy and unhappy families can be adapted to this book - all the "good" characters are good in the same way, but the bad/evil/non-heroic characters are bad in a variety of interesting ways. I think that is holding my interest at that point. Though I do want to slap some of the good (oblivious) characters upside the head! 

• Like 11

I'm 46% of the way through Les Mis.

:lol: Gotta love Kindles.  We never had that kind of precision back in the old days.

I'm currently reading A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court for my IRL book club that meets Thursday.

Oh, how'd you like it?  I listened to it last year on a long drive with my son -- had us laughing out loud.  (I very often feel, myself, like a Connecticut Yankee mysteriously transported to some alien court, so I could relate...)

I had something super cool happen and I have to tell you guys because you're the only ones that might also think it's cool.

So you remember me telling you about how much I loved the John Pickett series by Sheri Cobb South?  (She also wrote The Weaver Takes a Wife.)

I kinda wrote her a slightly gushy fangirl type email telling her how much I loved her series over the winter.  She has the next book in the series coming out in September BUT she sent me an ARC to read/review because I wrote her a nice note!  It totally made my day.  

Yesterday I got the book and you guys know me ... yesterday I finished the book.  It was awesome!  The series is kinda Regency Romance and kinda Cozy Mystery.  Basically I think she must be writing books just for me.   :)

Both my father-in-law and my eldest regularly write fan notes to authors they like... and so often authors write back marvelous gracious responses, or do stuff like send ARCs!   It's the absolute coolest.  I don't know why I'm too shy to do the same.

• Like 11