Menu

What to serve with chinese appetizers?

PeterPan

Ok, this is pathetic.  I'm feeling braindead and can't decide what to serve for dinner with chinese appetizers!  I already have the appetizers (wontons, egg rolls, that kind of thing) and I just want something simple to go with it.  We're having company for several days and I was trying to make my life easy.  Somehow I can't figure out easy to go with this.  Help!  :)

I know it is carb heavy but when I'm really overwhelmed I do the appetizers just with brown rice in my rice cooker.  No one around here complains!  

You could also do some cut up fruit.  

Chinese Roasted Chicken Recipe - Food.com  I found this baked chicken recipe.  I like your idea of rice in the crockpot.  Can I kind of do that ahead and make it more interesting like fried rice?  I hate to buy frozen fried rice for a bunch of people, but I'm sorta worn out. Any way to make the rice interesting?

Yup, that's where it's at.  I've been working on IEP stuff, and I'm WIPED.  I found they make bottled chinese chicken salad dressing, so that makes that idea easy.  I'll figure out the rice, because it would be nice to have a little something.  

Thanks ladies!

• Like 1

My easy Chinese Chicken Salad

Salad
Rip up romaine hearts (that's just the type of lettuce we always have around--they sell it in 3-packs here).

Slice up 3-4 green onions--all of the white and most of the green.

Chop up some cilantro--maybe 1/4 cup.

crush 1/4-1/2 cup peanuts--I put them in a sandwich bag and smash with a meat tenderizer.

Chicken

Easiest is buying a rotisserie chicken, rip up the breast into bite-size pieces, feed the legs to the kids. Or you can boil or bake a couple of chicken breasts. Then in a bowl or big measuring cup, make a sauce to coat the chicken:

1/2 tsp sugar

1/2 tsp salt

1 Tbs oyster sauce

1 tsp sesame oil

1/2 tsp dry mustard

1 tsp water

Dressing

We don't do bottled dressing for health reasons (sodium). I love this dressing and will use it for side salads too (I don't usually use all of the dressing for one salad). This can be made ahead and stored in fridge.

1.5 Tbs. sugar

1.5 Tbs. apple cider vinegar

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

1/2 tsp sesame oil

2 Tbs. salad oil

Combine dressing ingredients over low heat until sugar dissolves. Cool.

Assemble all of the parts! I used to fry up rice sticks (maifun) and add those, but they're pretty messy so at some point I just started leaving them out. But chicken salad with them is more like what I used to get from restaurants in the bay area.

• Like 2

Fried rice is a favorite at our house.  Yes, it uses leftover rice (at least mine does).  If I'm crunched for time I make the rice and put it in a bowl covered with plastic wrap and put it in the freezer for an hour to cool it.  Once it's cooled, cook some sliced onion (and chopped zucchini if you have it) it a big pan with some oil, garlic and ginger.  Once the veggies are done, add the rice, and stir in some soy sauce.  Done.  If you're feeling ambitious, you can fry and egg or two, chop it up, and throw it in at the end.  Yummy.

• Like 1

For simple fried rice, cook 8-12 cups of rice in the rice cooker or microwave (haven't tried with slow cooker), put in a container and put in the refrigerator to chill. The rice doesn't need to be freeze, just chilled. When you are ready to fry the rice, dump the rice and a packet (1lb) of frozen mixed vegetables into the pan. Add a drizzle of soy sauce or teriyaki sauce if you want to. You can also add ketchup.

I add eggs but it's optional. Shrimps, crab meat, cubed luncheon meat are some other optionals.

I had fried rice often as a kid and my aunt cooks for 11.

For simple stir fry, any cut vegetables and some soy sauce.

• Like 1

For simple fried rice, cook 8-12 cups of rice in the rice cooker or microwave (haven't tried with slow cooker), put in a container and put in the refrigerator to chill. The rice doesn't need to be freeze, just chilled. When you are ready to fry the rice, dump the rice and a packet (1lb) of frozen mixed vegetables into the pan. Add a drizzle of soy sauce or teriyaki sauce if you want to. You can also add ketchup.

I add eggs but it's optional. Shrimps, crab meat, cubed luncheon meat are some other optionals.

I had fried rice often as a kid and my aunt cooks for 11.

For simple stir fry, any cut vegetables and some soy sauce.

Yes, that's the idiotproof I was looking for, thanks!  :D

Egg drop soup:

Boil chicken stock with a pinch of ginger and a dash of soy sauce. 

Lightly beat some eggs.

Drizzle eggs into boiling stock. Wait one minute. Stir.

Serve.

Will this *hold* a bit?  I'll bet it would hold ok, maybe if I add a dab of cornstarch to stabilize?