Menu

Durango or Sequoia? the cars, not vacations (-;

fourcatmom

We are looking at a 2004 Dodge Durango Limited 4x4 and a Toyota Sequoia also 2004. They both have close to 90,000 miles and are under $10,000.

Any info on either of these cars. I want a 3rd row seat and I want some trunk space without it being to long. We drove a Denali today and we were really disappointed in how it felt. I didn't initially drive the durango because I didn't think it had adjustable pedals but I think it might so we are going back on Monday to drive it and see how it feels.

We also looked at Expeditions but I did not like the lack of trunk space is those either.

TIA!

I have never driven either, but I know my friend who had a Durango was always talking about how horrible the MPG was, and that her resell value was so low that she couldn't justify selling.  She got 12mpg in town.  I don't think the Sequoia is much better.  If you have a chance to look at Highlander, even if it is more expensive, you may be better off in the long run, once you factor in gas mileage. 

I have a Sequoia and love it, but if you have the third row seat up, there isn't a lot of trunk space. We had an Expedition and it had about the same amount of space. My understanding is that unless you get a Suburban, most SUV's don't have much trunk space with the third row seat up.

FWIW, my mechanic thinks the Sequoia is very solidly built. (I go to an independent guy, who doesn't own Toyotas himself, so this isn't the dealership talking.)

I've never owned those particular models, but I have owned several Toyotas and one Dodge. Owning one Dodge product was one too many. I learned my lesson and will never own another. The Toyotas we have owned, by contrast, were very reliable. We still have one 19 year old and one 14 year old one, and they have never broken down on us. We've never had to expensive repairs, just the usual maintenance and a couple minor things. They're great.

Chevrolet is also much better than Dodge, in my experience.

My only caution on the Toyota would be if it's the same model year, and has the same mileage as the Dodge, there might be an issue. It should be more expensive than the Dodge, resale-wise, all things being equal. Perhaps a Pilot like a previous poster mentioned? Should get you a bit more gas mileage.

• Like 1

SIL and BIL have a Durango that's several years old.  I think it's somewhere around a 2006-2008 model.  They've had SO much trouble with that vehicle it's unreal (at least to me, being used to Honda reliability).  I know my perception is off, but it seems to me it's been out of service more often than not.  I'm pretty sure they've had to replace the engine and transmission in addition to lots of other things.

My only caution on the Toyota would be if it's the same model year, and has the same mileage as the Dodge, there might be an issue. It should be more expensive than the Dodge, resale-wise, all things being equal. Perhaps a Pilot like a previous poster mentioned? Should get you a bit more gas mileage.

Yes the Toyota is more expensive and had more miles.

Thanks for all the feedback...you guys are talking me out of the Durango. :laugh:

I have looked at the Pilots and other cars mentioned but prices were higher and I wanted something with a bit more room. I might have to look at them again just for comparision though. Thanks!

• Like 1

We have a 2007 Seqouia and LOVE it. We get terrible gas mileage though ~14 mpg. It works okay for us though because I don't do much driving.

My DH's 2008 (or 06, I can't remember) Toyota Tundra gets better gas mileage than my Seqouia.

We are a Toyota family. We owned 1 too many Chevys and gave up. We had 2 with major problems way under 100,000 miles. In one, the transmission had to replaced at 50k miles. After that, we had a Honda for me and then decided I would join DH as a Toyota driver. :)

• Like 1

Thank you. I guess I will have to go sit in them and see if I can reach the pedals! :laugh:

It looks like the 4Runners get a bit better mileage but I like the look of the Sequoia more.

if you're also going to look at the 4-runner - have you looked at the highlander?  (get's much better mpg than the sequioa.  it's on my list for replacing my current van.  I like how big the sequoia is - but the mileage doesn't justify the additional space for my needs.)

So after convincing myself that Toyota was the better option I found several Sequoias in our area to look at yesterday. I liked one of them but I could not reach the pedals comfortably. I was able to reach enough to drive around the block but I would never be comfortable enough for more then that. It was big, but I liked how high it was. It seemed like it had a really short hood and I felt like I could see really well with the nice big windows but alas none of them had the pedal adjustments. We found a 4Runner on our way home that was really nice but no 3rd row seat. Very clean but the over all feel wasn't what I really wanted although in that car I could raech the pedals without a problem.

So far the only SUV that I have seen with the adjustments has been the expedition but I was not impressed with the cargo space in that either....I really don't want another van but I am feeling like I am headed in that direction. :w00t:

• Like 1

....I really don't want another van but I am feeling like I am headed in that direction. :w00t:

oh - I hear ya.  I really  liked the highlander - but, but, but . . . . where will I put all the junk when I go shopping?  and that third seat isn't mean for anyone bigger than a child . .

dh just tells me we're DONE with needing the space in a van . . . .

oh - I hear ya.  I really  liked the highlander - but, but, but . . . . where will I put all the junk when I go shopping?  and that third seat isn't mean for anyone bigger than a child . .

dh just tells me we're DONE with needing the space in a van . . . .

I don't use the 3rd seat much in the van we have but it's nice to have just in case. My teens are now really involved in a homeschool group that is starting to do more adventures and go farther away from home. I really need a realiable vehicle that can fit mine plus maybe some friends and all their stuff. There are two camping trips planned and maybe even a trip out of state for our family so space when we need it is important. I don't drive too much when I am home so I am not really worried about weekly gas prices, most of our activities are fairly close to home and this would be our 2nd car.

We took a trip out of state many years ago when the girls were small with just them and my Mom and we drove our Pacifica and used every inch of space there was even with the 3rd row folded down so i really can't see going smaller then that now they are teenagers.

What about pedal extensions?  Seriously.  I wouldn't rule out a car just for that.  We have had great luck with Toyota's.  Family members who have had Durangos, not so much.  

If I can't reach the pedals comfortably, I can't really justify buying the car. I had to stretch my foot and sit forward on the Sequoia just to drive around the block. No way I am doing that long term. I don't need them in all cars, we have a Chrysler 300 which I fit fine in but for some reason I don't seem to have much luck fitting as well in the SUV's so I will need the pedals to adjust to fit comfortably.

Okay, just re-read what you wrote and I totally misunderstood what you meant. I guess you were telling me to buy pedal extensions, Lol! Sorry.

If I can't reach the pedals comfortably, I can't really justify buying the car. I had to stretch my foot and sit forward on the Sequoia just to drive around the block. No way I am doing that long term. I don't need them in all cars, we have a Chrysler 300 which I fit fine in but for some reason I don't seem to have much luck fitting as well in the SUV's so I will need the pedals to adjust to fit comfortably.

Okay, just re-read what you wrote and I totally misunderstood what you meant. I guess you were telling me to buy pedal extensions, Lol! Sorry.

Yes :). I have several friends that are little people and other differences. Obviously they have to have pedal extensions for all their vehicles. Simple modifications are just a reality and not a big deal in our world.

• Like 1

Yes :). I have several friends that are little people and other differences. Obviously they have to have pedal extensions for all their vehicles. Simple modifications are just a reality and not a big deal in our world.

I guess I just hadn't thought about adding them. Are they comfortable to drive with?

Thank you again for all your help. We bought a 2005 Toyota Sequoia today. :lol: I can't remember the last time I got to go and pick out something I wanted. I am so stinkin excited! And for some reason the fit in this one was pretty good, it was so nice to drive I drove a few miles past the dealer when I was test driving it because it was just so easy to drive. DH seems pretty happy as well. :hurray: Nothing to fancy on it but enough to make me happy. I pick it up tomorrow since we noticed a small crack in the windshield they are going to replace the whole thing tonight. And we got a 2 year 24,000 warrantly so it all feels good. :thumbup:

• Like 5

Thank you again for all your help. We bought a 2005 Toyota Sequoia today. :lol: I can't remember the last time I got to go and pick out something I wanted. I am so stinkin excited! And for some reason the fit in this one was pretty good, it was so nice to drive I drove a few miles past the dealer when I was test driving it because it was just so easy to drive. DH seems pretty happy as well. :hurray: Nothing to fancy on it but enough to make me happy. I pick it up tomorrow since we noticed a small crack in the windshield they are going to replace the whole thing tonight. And we got a 2 year 24,000 warrantly so it all feels good. :thumbup:

Congratulations!

We have not regretted buying our Sequoia.

• Like 1

Congrats!  I just noticed this thread and was going to recommend the Sequoia.  We bought my 2003 model new and I still love it.

• Like 1

Good to know. I am in that excited but nervous phase now, like I am happy but "oh my, what did we do?" :laugh: We have just come through such a hard time financially and although I kmow this will benefit the girls by inabling me to get them to activities and field trips it still a bit overwhelming to take on something so big when you have struggled for so long.