Menu

So what are your healthy habits, recent lifestyle changes, etc

74Heaven

The soda poll got me thinking....

About 2 years ago, I quit drinking diet sode (diet was my habit but I quit regular soda too.) I am not opposed to occasional soda but am wary that I will succumb to a habit if I start again. I drink very diluted juice, water or water w/frozen fruit.

About 4 years ago, I started walking 4-6x a week about 3miles each time.

These were major changes that I was actually surprised I could accomplish. I did them to lose weight, and be healthy. I quit the diet soda and all aspartame and artificial sweeteners because I am convinced they are unhealthy (at least in "regular" or high amounts.) The impact on my life, quality of life, and energy were astounding.

My current goal is to redeem my time better - to have a better grasp of a regular schedule for myself and our home. (School is very regular but my input/progess on tasks is not as productive as I'd like.)

What life changes/habits have you enacted in recent years or months? How did you accomplish them? What was your motivation? Why did you succeed?

Lisa J

• Like 1

Oh, I need to come back to this when I have time!!   So I will post this in hopes that I will be able to get back tonight when I have more time to write.  Love these types of threads.  I love motivation and hearing others' stories. 

• Like 1

I am just trying to gradually get back to the realtively healthy lifestyle I had before kids.  (Well, minus some of the work stress!)

RIght now I'm trying to solidify some really simple habits:

• Drink a glass of water first thing in the morning.
  • Do my yoga routine every day.
  • Eat multiple (esp. fresh) fruits and vegetables every day.
  • Eat only the quantity needed to be satisfied, most days.
  • Vitamins every day.
  • Do a little exercise here and there to strengthen muscles and aerobic capacity.
  • TKD at least weekly, preferably more.
  • Going to a chiropractor, about once a week now.
  • Sleep about 6-7 hours per night.
  • Try to get ahead on work instead of always feeling behind.
  • Be honest and work stuff out rather than letting them fester.
  • Think positive.
  • Control clutter.
  • Working on being able to take a midday walk outside most days.
  • Want to set up a weekly outdoor volunteer gig for me and the kids.
  • Want to start biking with the kids this spring.
  • Want to start going at least annually for dentist and massage.
  • Be happy instead of guilty when I do something for myself.
  • Like 3

What life changes/habits have you enacted in recent years or months? How did you accomplish them? What was your motivation? Why did you succeed?

I quit drinking soda a few years ago. I quit most dairy about five years ago and went mostly gluten-free two years ago. My main motivation for all of these was IBS.

Quitting soda was easy because I don't love it to begin with and did not buy it regularly. I mostly drank it out of convenience so, while I have carried a water bottle for many years, I became more diligent (fanatical) about always bringing water along. If I stop by Panera, say, or Chik-Fil-A, I already have a water to drink. (Saves a little money, too.)

I thought dairy would be hard because the only treat I really love is ice cream and I was a great lover of cheeses. It turned out to be better because I lost ten pounds immediately, stopped passing gas all the time (sorry), and my stomach stopped hurting. I did begin using LactoseFree dairy products, but I still aim to keep them to a minimum. I still have ice cream sometimes, but I am not so addicted to it now; I have LF ice cream once in a while and it's fine.

I also thought gluten would be hard because I also loved bread. I made homemade bread just about every week. I did not want to buy a lot of rice substitutes for gluten products, because to motivator is wanting low glycemic index foods. My dad is diabetic; my sister was too and died at 42. It has not been terribly difficult for me to cut gluten, but it is somewhat harder because my family is not GF. I have to make Quinoa for myself, or GF pasta, or whatever in order to eat normally at dinner. But I stick with it because my stomach does not bloat and hopefully, I am not becoming insulin-resistant.

I have done some things that did not "stick" - I quit coffee once, but went back; I was running regularly but stopped. I meditate often, but sporadically; same with yoga.

• Like 1

Two litres of liquid a day - a litre of water at my desk at the office, plus other drinks

10,000 steps a day

Yoga once a week

Trying to move more in general - I'm standing up at the kitchen counter doing hip circles as I type.

ETA: I've been on the 5:2 diet for more than two years, and have stabilised at a healthy weight.

• Like 3

Since late November- no cane or corn sugar. It's surprisingly quite easy.

The reason is systemic candida and leaky gut.

Also, for breakfast I've been having a kale, spinach, beetroot, lemon, gingar, frozen cherry, frozen banana smoothy. Absolutely delicious!

• Like 1

No sugar, no grains mostly for the last year.  (although I recently had a setback and today is my first day back - wish me luck).

running 1-3 miles twice a week

I have others (in bed by ten, stretching daily, etc.) that I haven't been doing lately.  :(  I've not been very healthy lately.

I am curious about this. Why is that healthy?

I have a hard time envisioning how I'd handle skipping both breakfast and dinner.

If you fast from, say, 7PM (after dinner) to noon (lunch) the next day, that's 17 hours right there.  I do that almost every day.  It feels good to give my stomach a rest.  I'm mostly eating between noon and 7PM.  (Except my morning coffee with one tablespoon heavy cream.)

• Like 1

This is just a tiny thing but my MIL gave us a recumbent exercise bike. We got it in the house and as far as the hearth room (like family room right off open kitchen and dining) and it is still there.

I have been peddling 10-15 minutes almost every day in addition to my other exercising. It is quick and easy as it is right there and I can chat with dh or tue kids while I peddle. I have also notice the kids get on it often to peddle as I am making supper, etc. Not conventional to have it sit there.... But it is getting lots of use, much more than if it was in the basement

• Like 3

If you fast from, say, 7PM (after dinner) to noon (lunch) the next day, that's 17 hours right there.  I do that almost every day.  It feels good to give my stomach a rest.  I'm mostly eating between noon and 7PM.  (Except my morning coffee with one tablespoon heavy cream.)

I would faint half-way through my 10am class... unless I'd stuff myself silly at dinner.

Two litres of liquid a day - a litre of water at my desk at the office, plus other drinks

10,000 steps a day

Yoga once a week

Trying to move more in general - I'm standing up at the kitchen counter doing hip circles as I type.

ETA: I've been on the 5:2 diet for more than two years, and have stabilised at a healthy weight.

This is basically what I'd have posted.  Increasing liquids, aiming for 10,000 steps a day (I don't always get there), and meditation.  I am also focused on getting enough sleep (for me).  

I have found that using a jawbone up24 has been very helpful and inspiring.  :)  It's probably similar to a fitbit?  It monitors sleep as well, which has been excellent at getting me to hit the bed on time (it has an alarm to remind me to get ready for bed, and it adjusts to my schedule as it changes, kind of cool!).  

Those are the most recent changes - the ones in the last 2 months.  

My primary change recently has been to get up on the early side (6:00 hour) to do my freewriting, then hop on the elliptical trainer. I LOVE getting to workout before the day begins.....before now, I have been exercising in the late afternoon because my daughter would wake so easily in the a.m.!!  But now she's getting better about it. I still have to stop my workout to deal with a child most days, but I can usually hop back on and finish it.  Love getting it done. Very motivating to know I can cross it off the list before breakfast. 

Other positive changes I have made since my son was born (nearly 8 years ago):

*having a housework routine....lifesaver lifesaver. My motivation was that I didn't want my house to look like a pit and I didn't have the time to deal with it once a week in a marathon session. So I do a little each day. 

*eliminating diet coke. I drink pellegrino and hot tea and water.My motivation was how much I distrusted aspartame. I feel great! I gave it up cold turkey.

*quitting facebook.  Again, cold turkey. I do keep an account for local homeschool groups and recently added close family members to it, but I don't use it for social networking at all, and I won't.  I refuse!!

*morning pages (there's a whole post on this somewhere--they have honed my creative focus--this is a more recent change).  They build their own energy and motivation b/c I see how effective they are, and I refuse to give them up!

*hiring a babysitter for four hours every friday afternoon. 

*monthly massage (I have severe scoliosis--the massage helps a lot w/ that, and it also just helps me stay nice and kind and sane) I decided the cost of not doing it outweighed the cost of doing it.  

This is all that comes to mind right away!

All that being said, I will be a work in progress all my life. I'm always scanning for new ways to improve/change our lives for the better. But I am okay with that!

I have a hard time envisioning how I'd handle skipping both breakfast and dinner.

It is normal for me to go from about 7/8pm to 10/11am without food.  I do drink coffee and water in between.

• Like 2

I would faint half-way through my 10am class... unless I'd stuff myself silly at dinner.

It took some getting used to.  Also, I eat a moderate amount of fat and protein and my lunch and dinner (and usually a snack) are bigger. So probably the same amount of calories in the end.  It's not for everyone, but helps my stomach.

I'm drinking lots of water. I used to hate it and then like a lightbulb turning on, one day I suddenly wanted it. It's been about 2 weeks now.

I'm struggling to get myself to bed by 10:30. It's 11:44 right now, so you can see it's not a battle I'm easily winning.

It is 11.30 and I have to be up again in 7 hours so not sleep. I did find an affordable gym membership and manage to arrange work and after school care so I can go 3 to 4 times a week which I am enjoying but I neec to work on sleep and diet as well now I have a routine going.

I do this unless I have a really heavy exercise day, such as an all-day hike. 

It's not so much because it feels good, but because if I eat breakfast I seem to get hungry again quickly, whether it is protein, fat, carbs, or a mix of the above. When I don't eat anything I don't think about food. 

Edit: I also don't adhere to this rigidly. If I realize in mid-morning that I am hungry, I eat "early". But usually it's after noon before I say "Hey, I'm hungry, I should get some food."

We have dinner at 5 or 5:30 to make evening events. I work out about 6 am so home after 7, shower and breakfast later after that. I don't skip anything. I had strayed from not snacking. This got me back on track. There has also been quite a bit of "buzz" about IF in the professional dietetic/nutrition community lately.
  • Like 1

I also gave up soda, regular soda. I've never liked diet soda. I have 2 cups of coffee a day and drink water all day long. For the past year, I've lowered my carbs. Not crazy low though. It helped me lose even more weight after I lost and reached goal weight with Weight Watchers. I continue tracking my food because it makes me feel good to have that control over what I eat.

I'm currently working on increasing my exercise. I walk on the treadmill 3 times a week. I hope to get to 6 days, but that thought is very overwhelming.

• Like 1