Menu

Ignore this thread!

Good morning!

We slept a little late.

Raise your hand if similar words have left your mouth recently:

Girls! Stop choking each other with The Force and do your math!

I am not dressed yet, but have saved the lives of two math-avoiding girls, addressed graduation ceremony invitations, consulted the ortho over a broken bracket, and practiced some string quartet music. I promise to get dressed before we go on a hike. I'm going to ignore the laundry. Because ITT.

Coffee substitute!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 6

COFFEE!

And first Monday of Summer Term.  (I sound so organized when I call things terms, don't I? What it really means is that I'm re-committing to some sort of normalcy after insanity has sabotaged school for longer than I care to mention.)  

We also shall never finish school.  

Also also, a rash I had on our trip is now all over dd6 and dd5.  So it's apparently a viral something, and not just my weird allergies or a nighttime mosquito attack.  At Wednesday's well-check I'll see if Dr. will test them for breakthrough chicken-pox.  Not because it really matters, but we have enough unvaccinated friends that I feel a tad obligated to either warn them or throw a chicken party (whichever they prefer).  

Also also also, I'm stuck going to a town Selectmen meeting tonight, because they (the elected Selectmen) are attempting to buy up land on our street and throw 90 housing units on it, more than doubling the population of our little neighborhood.  Boo to them for being greedy. 

That is all.

ETA:  A Summer Term Chicken-Poxy Booyah!  

Edited by Lotsoflittleducklings
  • Like 8

Spring Break for the birdies! A/C needs to be replaced, as the repair is too expensive to be worthwhile. Piano lesson is canceled owing to emergent issues with a performance DS isn't involved in. Grandma is entertaining DS and Grandpa is napping on the couch. (He works evening shift.)

Edited by Carolina Wren
  • Like 8

(Warning educational post, even though I did work more on my room and laundry this morning.)

So, 13yo dd has been using DO pre-algebra this year.  She's not knocking it out of the park, but she's hanging in there, and that's saying something given that she typically needs more review than she gets with DO.  So, what to do about next year.  I have thought about going through a different pre-algebra text with her.  She does want to move forward with algebra.  I considered choosing an algebra that spends a little more time reviewing in the beginning (Jacobs is known for that?  but not sure we would be successful with Jacobs, though I can't remember why I thought that - too many leaps maybe?)  DO algebra is an option, but she doesn't love it when the videos take so long.  And it's a little frustrating to schedule because some days the videos may take 10 minutes and other days maybe 30 to 40.  I would love it if the videos were the same length every day.  (These new homeschoolers - want everything handed to them on a silver platter!   :laugh: ).  Any ideas?  Has anyone used DO for algebra 1?  If I really want to baby her I could watch the videos ahead and teach her more succinctly, but that sounds like a recipe for disaster (oh, let's put that off a day since I haven't watched it yet.....)

So, back to laundry.... 

• Like 4

Okay, the first class time in a while is now finished.  

• DD12 might or might not finish her Youth Digital coding before Memorial Day, but that doesn't matter much, so long as she finishes before the end of summer.
  • DD15 will read 2 chapters of history this week and then one chapter a week for the following 3 weeks -- this has her finishing history by Memorial Day.
  • DD15 will read 2 chapters of biology text per week this month -- this will have her finishing her biology readings by Memorial Day.  Biology labs will be focused on over the summer.
  • With both girls I need to sit down one-on-one to go over where they are with their math and get more progress made.  Even the more mathy kid is only halfway through DO pre-Alg, mostly due to too many interruptions and disruptions derailing our study habits this year.  We will work out what each needs to do over this month and the summer to finish their current math studies before the next school year.  DD15 is doing Algebra 1 -- she is still signed up for DO, but at the moment is working through the Key to Algebra workbooks.  After we suss out what she has left to cover I will do a warm hand-off to DH, who will take over instructing her in evenings and on weekends.
  • We reviewed and confirmed the list of subjects we finished before our trip.  This not only helped me remember what we no longer need to keep on the list, but also reminded us all of what-all we actually did get done.
  • DD12 is to finish reading Rabbit Hill this week so I can put that precious copy back on the shelf.  It is old and treasured, and DD12 wants to get back to that story anyway.
  • We have started in on the last section of writing (MCTLA's Writing of Liturature, section 4).  All but the final point paper should be able to be finished by Memorial Day.
  • DD15 and I are to become exercise buddies, starting tomorrow.  We will research and select forms of exercise that benefit each of us and some for both of us, and hold each other accountable.

This leaves post-Memorial Day:

• math (both girls)
  • biology labs (DD15)
  • maybe some coding (DD12)
  • last point paper for writing (both girls)
  • exercise!

We can do this!  Especially since spring-time allergies appear to have mostly abated.  *phew!*

• Like 3

I have coffee. It is glorious.

The baby shower on Saturday turned out lovely and no one knew that I pretty much threw it all together on Friday.

We are schooling through May, and taking June off. And starting 1st grade in July. Weapon X is going through a bit of a cognitive leap right now. Things that we have been working on are finally making sense. It's amazing how that happens. I almost feel like it doesn't matter what I do, he'll get it when he gets it and not a second sooner.

I'm ready for a break though. I might trim down some of our lessons to finish sooner. Because Kindergarten and I can.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

An entire month off school! I wouldn't know what to do with myself. John's been demanding school consistently since he was two.

ANKI ate my decks! 😧😫😡😞. They are dead to me.

It means the Latin vocab flashcards I've been adding to this app all spring have disappeared. :(.

I think I may just go back to paper. Paper doesn't capriciously betray you.

Where was the deck?  

We did Jacobs here. Both Dd and I are doing very well with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want to use Jacob's. As in myself. It's a bajillion dollars though!
  • Like 1

Lynn, I haven't used DO for math, but we are in our second science class.  I agree that the varying times for the videos is a scheduling headache (and the suggested syllabus is not much help either, IMO.)  The only thing I've been able to do is sit down and go through the videos one-by-one and jot down the times.  I then add up what's reasonable for a day and plan from there.

Except now.  Now I just triple the suggested workload and we go from there. :svengo:

• Like 1

My eyes are burning! So many educational posts on the first Monday in May!

Sorry, Whitehawk, about the ac. Ours died last summer and it took a bit to get a new one in. May you find a beach or pool near you! 

We went to Six Flags last Saturday to try to acclimatize ourselves to summer heat. If we don't get out every day we're forced to hibernate until November.

• Like 5

AMJ, what's your feeling on how long the DO Algebra 1 videos were taking?  Did your dd split the videos over a couple days a lot?  If you don't remember, I totally understand!!   :thumbup1:   

DD15 didn't care for them that much, so I think she dawdled and took a while.  We might or might not get back to DO for her regarding Algebra.  If she's not getting much out of their presentation I don't want to keep paying for it past this month.

• Like 1

If pantyhose/tights with open-toed shoes is a new trend, it needs to die a swift death.  Do you think I can sue the fashion industry for ruining my eyes?

But but but -- blisters!  There are few sandals I can get away with wearing without some sort of sock or stocking on my foot.  I get chaffing and blisters otherwise.

Though my speed of sandal is more Keen or Birkenstock, some of which I CAN wear sockless.

• Like 1

My eyes are burning! So many educational posts on the first Monday in May!

I know, right?

So, we aren't even close to finishing up. I have us scheduled through the first week in June. The we'll take a week off for VBS (that I don't have to direct, since we're at a new church!! I will just volunteer and help out) and then spend whatever time we need finishing up tidbits that need to get done.

• Like 4

My morning. :001_unsure:  :glare:  :001_smile:  :angry:  :cursing:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :willy_nilly:  :svengo: 

In that order.

I "attempted" laser printer surgery this morning and the patient coded. I think. Took me a good hour of calling around town to find somebody who would look at it. It's my big color printer, too. I am most displeased. 

• Like 4

It means the Latin vocab flashcards I've been adding to this app all spring have disappeared. :(.

I think I may just go back to paper. Paper doesn't capriciously betray you.

paper is trustworthy and can be counted on, to be sure.
  • Like 2

We went to the park and flew kites. A busload of kids from the elementary school came and had to run laps around the huge green field we were in. I thought it was a little funny and a little sad. At least they got to run in a nice park.

Go Homeschooling!

• Like 6

I cleared away the lunch dishes, unloaded the dishwasher onto the table in proper place settings, and loaded the dirty dishes.

Now, if only we could do that with clothing! Three loads down, four to go.

I have kind of done that with laundry when on trips.  Things get washed when I have a laundry stop, then sorted into whose is what, then sorted into PJs and outfits, then laid out in the hotel room or suitcase for easy grab-and-go at the proper time.

I also pack "overnight" bags when we are stopping for only one night someplace.  One suitcase to hold the PJs and change of clothes for the whole family -- saves dragging in ALL of the suitcases at each stop, and helps separate dirty from clean clothing, too.

• Like 2

Lazy. The word you are looking for is lazy.  Why put them up in the cabinet just to take them down again?

Because the table is needed for other activities between meals and the dishes get in the way.

Because the table is the drop zone for the back (main) door and people here will NOT look -- they will put stuff down on the 'til-then clean dishes.

Because dishes laid out on the table just get collected up again to bring to the kitchen for filling from the buffet line.

Because we have no refined manners here.

Ah, our dining room table is not in the drop zone, and we have a separate schoolroom.  We have a second dining area as well, so if I need to sprawl on a table personally, I've got that.

I suspect that when our little birds start to fly the nest that our schoolroom may become a home office, which would be lovely!

• Like 1

Ah, our dining room table is not in the drop zone, and we have a separate schoolroom.  We have a second dining area as well, so if I need to sprawl on a table personally, I've got that.

I suspect that when our little birds start to fly the nest that our schoolroom may become a home office, which would be lovely!

Our much bigger dining room table is our school table, with a folding table set up for a microscope station and a card table set up for art and overflow.  These tables are all filled.  If I need someplace to sit and spread anything out, or if DH starts baking and needs more "counter" space, or DD12 is mixing something and needs a lower surface than the counters, or we are gathering stuff together to stage it for out the door, or--

Our kitchen table seldom lies empty.  This is one of the habits we are trying to set -- getting that table cleared and not always full of stuff.

Horizontal surfaces in our house do not stand a prayer of remaining unburied.

• Like 1

COFFEE!!☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

And this is the best Booya/h in the whole world because it is a COFFEE Booya/h!! (Imagine, if you will, yours truly planting a flag that says "Booya/h" in big, bold letters and a cup of COFFEE under it! on the Rocky summit of.... The tall craggy mountain in the middle of the ITT Island, where we have our lodge. This lodge is in the middle of a forest with hardwood floors and throw rugs and huge stone fireplaces and wrap around porches with comfy Adirondack chairs. This is what I'm talking about.) (I think my imagination is getting the better of me)

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 6