Menu

Ignore this thread!

I'm home! Our concertmaster got there 7 minutes before the concert time. By there, I mean in the building. So actually pretty early for her. I start to panic if it's 3 minutes. :D (She forgot about the early rehearsal. People were not happy.) i was going to fast til lunch tomorrow but they gave us a pizza dinner after the concert and I surprised myself by being social.

• Like 8

So apparently The Wind in the Willows is the most boring book in the universe.  So I went and bought DS a replacement book to read to finish up the year.  He will not have to read about Mole.  Instead, he will be reading Horizon.  It has the added bonus of also having a corresponding video game.  Because I am the best homeschooling mom ever.  :hat:

Just read something, okay?

Is this year over yet? :leaving:

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 8

I love the Wind in the Willows, but we've always done it as a read-aloud.

I am done with school. My kids have varying amounts of work to finish up. Dd8 must finish math book and handwriting. Dd10 - math and grammar. Ds12 - grammar. Dd14 - pre-algebra and I think some history work. Dd18 - has her statistics final tomorrow and is studying to take the ACT one last time to see if she can increase her score a couple points (more scholarship $).

We will keep doing story time because we are really loving our current read-aloud - The Dark is Rising (2nd book in the Susan Cooper series). The kids also have to keep practicing their instruments.

Dh is taking the day off work tomorrow for some reason. Dd14 has a broken braces bracket and might have to go to the ortho tomorrow. I'm beat. Maybe gonna watch some Bosch before bed.

• Like 5

I love the Wind in the Willows, but we've always done it as a read-aloud.

I don't think he'll let me even get past the first paragraph, if I tried now.   Would've, should've, could've. 

We're reading A Wrinkle in Time now. 

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 5

15 more school days in our homeschool year. How bout you?

This is definitely going to be a year-round school year because of how much was missed due to me working. I'm not good at multi-tasking.

Dancer will work until she finishes her courses. I told her it's up to her when she finishes, but she's going to want a break too. She'll do the Great Books summer camp if she can get financial aid, so that's kind of a break. I think.

Gymnast will continue reading and math through the summer. But, ya know, kindergarten doesn't take long. She'll have other activities and we'll hang out.

But, yeah, I don't see an end. Maybe the beginning of August just so we can say we had a summer break.

• Like 3

Today's 13 second waterfall clip is brought to you by the city trickle-release, the snowy hit-and-run storm, and the subsequent snow melt (at least on one side of the river).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8AgbG4Z0x4NejlHanAyOTU5WW8/view?usp=sharing

I have a longer clip, but it hasn't uploaded yet.

ETA: hmmm, I don't know what happened to the sound?

ETA2: Okay, the sound is there. Note the snow on one side.

Yup, there she goes, wading in the icy cold snow melt!   :001_wub:

We did the thing. It was all good. (It caused me to miss a different thing, but I can't do anything about that.)

Our air conditioning quit working yesterday. Crummy timing. We are going to repair or replace, depending on what we hear tomorrow. It is 86 degrees and humid in my house. Not really into it. We went to the mall to cool off, & my sister (15) greatly approved. The mall by her house is not so impressive.

Kitty gave up on hiding under the bed and sprawled out on the bedroom floor in an effort to cool off. I'm hoping she'll realize the strangers are gone for the night and come down.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:   I hope you get some cool tonight, and tomorrow has good news.

I am so done. As soon as I feed these children (takeout) they are being sent to their rooms. I quit.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

Also, I  :001_tt1: the horsehair broom.  I'd had several brooms from Target, etc, break down after just a year or two when I got disgusted and started searching online.  The only thing I didn't like (well, beside the price) was that it doesn't get into corners as easily.  It's not impossible (not even all that hard), but angle brushes are easy-peasier.

ETA: Here it is.  Pretty sure I didn't pay that much though.  

This little guy might help with the corners:  https://www.amazon.com/B%C3%BCrstenhaus-Redecker-Hedgehog-Horsehair-Bristles/dp/B00GLSEHWM/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_201_tr_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=QNXQ0893FYR3ZG980P5J

• Like 1

More waterfall and river videos:

Mostly just the waterfall, just for Critter. Yes, it's tiny, but it's what we've got. :D

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8AgbG4Z0x4Nakc5TGVoY3l1X0k/view?usp=sharing

Starting at the waterfall and panning a bit downriver:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8AgbG4Z0x4NMmhaX2kxck1IUVU/view?usp=sharing

I wish I was there with you!  Wonderful waterfall clips.  Thanks!

• Like 1

15 more school days in our homeschool year. How bout you?

We will be working into and maybe through the summer due to numerous disruptions this school year.  I think it will be good, though -- the allergy season is finally backing off here, and our brains are starting to function again.

• Like 2

While we were gone the city, which had ignored our pesky street light (shines over the ENTIRE front of our 2-story house and in our bedroom windows at night) since they restored power to it, came through and TRIMMED THE VOLUNTEER WILLOW that was growing up around it.  The willow didn't affect the amount of light reaching the pavement but it DID cut down on the light coming in our windows.  Now it shines clear and unobstructed onto our house again.  SIGH.

It's also city elections time in another week or so.  Maybe I can talk to some of the city council candidates and incumbents about either straightening the post so it doesn't tip BACK, or putting a hood on it to aim the light downward.

• Like 2

Huh. Never heard of it. Just googled it. A possibility for this summer's read-alouds, maybe.

We read the first book (Over Sea, Under Stone) last summer. They don't seem terribly related at this point, except for one character and a brief reference to a location. I may have just forgotten, though we really enjoyed the first book. We might take the summer to read through the whole series.

• Like 1

I don't think he'll let me even get past the first paragraph, if I tried now. Would've, should've, could've.

We're reading a Wrinkle in Time now.

So over the next several years, you need to leave him random notes with just a sentence or two from the book and he'll have read the whole thing by the time he graduates from high school. If he starts refusing to read the notes, just loudly read the quote in his presence, but quickly before he has a chance to cover his ears.

The Wind in the Willows isn't that vital to life, but it sure would be entertaining for us to see you pull this off.

• Like 5

So apparently The Wind in the Willows is the most boring book in the universe.  So I went and bought DS a replacement book to read to finish up the year.  He will not have to read about Mole.  Instead, he will be reading Horizon.  It has the added bonus of also having a corresponding video game.  Because I am the best homeschooling mom ever.  :hat:

Just read something, okay?

Is this year over yet? :leaving:

FTFY (italics instead of underlining). YW. :001_tt2:

I tried to read The Wind in the Willows once, but I could not get through it. Because boring. However, Mr. Toad is part of Disney, and so I sent Mr. Ellie on an Internet search to see if he could find the Disney cartoon. Which he did, on YouTube. We want to figure out a way to send it to dgs, along with a copy of the book, which dd might or might not read to him, so that next time he goes to Disneyland, he'll know the story.

That is all.

• Like 4

Don't tell me my son needs to attend an online academy to ensure he learns everything. Don't tell me my children need to go to public high school or they'll fail at life. Would you like to discuss the students who go to public high school and still fail? Some of them were my friends. Being a teacher does not make you an expert on education, and it certainly doesn't make you an expert on my children. And besides I NEVER LIKED YOU ANYWAY BECAUSE YOU'RE A SELF-RIGHTEOUS HYPOCRITE AND A LIAR!

Ahem.

• Like 6

It's your friendly Monday Morning Wake Up Call!

COFFEE!!!!

Renai, love the videos of gymnast and the waterfall!

The Wind in the Willows - I tried to read it aloud to oldest once a long time ago.  We abandoned it - boring yes, but worse it was senseless.  I cannot for the life of me understand why that thing is a classic.   :laugh:   Ikslo, you are a great mom!

(((Slache)))  Which relative, church member, or other busybody does the ENB need to visit?   :boxing_smiley:

• Like 7

So over the next several years, you need to leave him random notes with just a sentence or two from the book and he'll have read the whole thing by the time he graduates from high school. If he starts refusing to read the notes, just loudly read the quote in his presence, but quickly before he has a chance to cover his ears.

The Wind in the Willows isn't that vital to life, but it sure would be entertaining for us to see you pull this off.

This is genius!

• Like 3

FTFY (italics instead of underlining). YW. :001_tt2:

I tried to read The Wind in the Willows once, but I could not get through it. Because boring. However, Mr. Toad is part of Disney, and so I sent Mr. Ellie on an Internet search to see if he could find the Disney cartoon. Which he did, on YouTube. We want to figure out a way to send it to dgs, along with a copy of the book, which dd might or might not read to him, so that next time he goes to Disneyland, he'll know the story.

That is all.

I was going to use italics, but doubted myself, so I switched it. I guess I should have googled. But lazy.

I never got through the book, either. Which is why I didn't fight too hard when DS complained about it. But he doesn't need to know that. ;)

• Like 2

I love the Wind and the Willows. :leaving: But I can understand how it would be hard to get through (description heavy-plot slow) and why it's not really a children's book (even I skipped Piper at the Gates of Dawn for the boys).

I'm still very tired. A lot to do today, too. 

Caffeine first.

• Like 4

I'm sorta awake. We're going to the "big city" again for Dancer's dermatology appointment. We hope to drop by the motel we stayed at to see if they held on to the bear backpack that was left. But, first, a bit more shut-eye.

• Like 6

It's your friendly Monday Morning Wake Up Call!

COFFEE!!!!

Renai, love the videos of gymnast and the waterfall!

The Wind in the Willows - I tried to read it aloud to oldest once a long time ago.  We abandoned it - boring yes, but worse it was senseless.  I cannot for the life of me understand why that thing is a classic.   :laugh:   Ikslo, you are a great mom!

(((Slache)))  Which relative, church member, or other busybody does the ENB need to visit?   :boxing_smiley:

She used to go to our church. Last night there was a going away party and she came. I received several lectures. She knows everything about parenting. I should introduce you so she can tell you everything you're doing wrong.

I was going to use italics, but doubted myself, so I switched it. I guess I should have googled. But lazy.

I never got through the book, either. Which is why I didn't fight too hard when DS complained about it. But he doesn't need to know that. ;)

I knew it was italics! :party:

I was so proud of myself, too.

Saw Lego Batman movie yesterday. Imo, best Batman movie ever made (can you tell I'm not a Batman fan?)

Batman is my favorite super hero. :001_wub:
  • Like 5

Woke the kids. Cue wails of the damned.

My usual early bird (DD12), often up and dressed before DH goes to work, groaned when he came to kiss her good morning before heading out, and muttered to me "sle-e-e-e-p...."  So I told her I would come back in half an hour.  

I then followed DH to my night owl's room (DD15), who is usually very reluctant to get out of bed and takes FOREVER in the shower.  She got up readily, and when I asked her to take a shorter shower she managed to pull it off.  She was out of the bathroom before I returned to early bird's room to rouse her once again!

Both girls are now showered, dressed, getting breakfast, and practicing their neglected music.  Today is the last lesson before this weekend's recital.

DD15 has her laundry sorted and the first load in the washer.  In about 45 minutes we resume class time.  The humidity is lower for the time being (though it will continue to increase again until Wednesday).  The trash is at the curb ready for the trash guys.

And I'm eating breakfast with no interruptions (so far).  Ahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 7

Hugs and prayers, though, for everyone impacted by the wild weather of the past few days.  The morning news had a lot to report, and they seldom seem aware of things outside our immediate metro area.  That storm front fizzled on our end, but it's really walloped other areas.   :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 2

The trash guys have come, and now my old internal-frame backpack is officially gone.  The foam padding had crumbled and the material was delaminating, but all of the attachments and zippers were still sound.  Had we stored it in a closet instead of a hot and humid garage attic it would still be good, though my knees really make going backpacking a dubious proposition.

Still, getting rid of it was like saying goodbye to that too-little-done activity of my 20s.

• Like 3

I have coffee. It is glorious.

The baby shower on Saturday turned out lovely and no one knew that I pretty much threw it all together on Friday.

We are schooling through May, and taking June off. And starting 1st grade in July. Weapon X is going through a bit of a cognitive leap right now. Things that we have been working on are finally making sense. It's amazing how that happens. I almost feel like it doesn't matter what I do, he'll get it when he gets it and not a second sooner.

I'm ready for a break though. I might trim down some of our lessons to finish sooner. Because Kindergarten and I can.

• Like 10

School will never be done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bored-smiley-emoticon.png

Don't tell me my son needs to attend an online academy to ensure he learns everything. Don't tell me my children need to go to public high school or they'll fail at life. Would you like to discuss the students who go to public high school and still fail? Some of them were my friends. Being a teacher does not make you an expert on education, and it certainly doesn't make you an expert on my children. And besides I NEVER LIKED YOU ANYWAY BECAUSE YOU'RE A SELF-RIGHTEOUS HYPOCRITE AND A LIAR!

Ahem.

aggressive-and-destructive-smiley-emotic 

I'll be there late June-ish.  We'll handle it.

• Like 7

I have coffee. It is glorious.

The baby shower on Saturday turned out lovely and no one knew that I pretty much threw it all together on Friday.

We are schooling through May, and taking June off. And starting 1st grade in July. Weapon X is going through a bit of a cognitive leap right now. Things that we have been working on are finally making sense. It's amazing how that happens. I almost feel like it doesn't matter what I do, he'll get it when he gets it and not a second sooner.

I'm ready for a break though. I might trim down some of our lessons to finish sooner. Because Kindergarten and I can.

Definitely you can!  

I'm very bad about once I declare the end in sight, the end becomes the next day.   :leaving: Like oxen stampeding at the scent of water, I'm just done.  

• Like 4